OtherGround Forums Magic The Gathering Thread - Anyone still play?

9/19/20 8:06 PM
1/1/20

Been lurking since '05. Finally decided to post.

Does anyone here play MTG? I grew up with it in the 90s. Recently bought some original cards for nostalgia and actually just figured out how to play the game through MTG Arena (online). Surprisingly, more fun than I had anticipated. 

Any thoughts on MTG are welcome. Flame away. 

Post pics of your Black Lotus.

9/19/20 8:14 PM
8/15/07
Used to play hardcore. Then I also got into Arena. I finally gave all of it up due to the cost of staying current and because the cards and mechanics became ridiculously overpowered. Overall gameplay was sacrificed in the name of letting neck-bearded mouth-breathers orgasm over the latest 12/12 indestructable flying life-gaining draw-a-card-every-time-it-does-damage for four mana cost creatures.
9/19/20 8:17 PM
4/18/01
Soul Gravy - Used to play hardcore. Then I also got into Arena. I finally gave all of it up due to the cost of staying current and because the cards and mechanics became ridiculously overpowered. Overall gameplay was sacrificed in the name of letting neck-bearded mouth-breathers orgasm over the latest 12/12 indestructable flying life-gaining draw-a-card-every-time-it-does-damage for four mana cost creatures.

The power creep has been insane. The others in the Arena thread disagree with me.

I pretty much only play jank
9/19/20 8:19 PM
1/1/20
Soul Gravy - Used to play hardcore. Then I also got into Arena. I finally gave all of it up due to the cost of staying current and because the cards and mechanics became ridiculously overpowered. Overall gameplay was sacrificed in the name of letting neck-bearded mouth-breathers orgasm over the latest 12/12 indestructable flying life-gaining draw-a-card-every-time-it-does-damage for four mana cost creatures.

When did you stop. What color was your go to?

Have any old valuable cards?

9/19/20 8:20 PM
8/15/07
invalid - 
Soul Gravy - Used to play hardcore. Then I also got into Arena. I finally gave all of it up due to the cost of staying current and because the cards and mechanics became ridiculously overpowered. Overall gameplay was sacrificed in the name of letting neck-bearded mouth-breathers orgasm over the latest 12/12 indestructable flying life-gaining draw-a-card-every-time-it-does-damage for four mana cost creatures.

The power creep has been insane. The others in the Arena thread disagree with me.

I consider it pretty much unplayable at this point. It's less about deck design and playing skill and more about who can get lucky and drop the first bomb that can't realistically be dealt with.

And it's a damn shame the really intricate combo decks of old like stasis are non-existent today. Now it's all bashing away mindlessly with creatures.
9/19/20 8:29 PM
8/15/07
GleisonTibauWon5 - 
Soul Gravy - Used to play hardcore. Then I also got into Arena. I finally gave all of it up due to the cost of staying current and because the cards and mechanics became ridiculously overpowered. Overall gameplay was sacrificed in the name of letting neck-bearded mouth-breathers orgasm over the latest 12/12 indestructable flying life-gaining draw-a-card-every-time-it-does-damage for four mana cost creatures.

When did you stop. What color was your go to?

Have any old valuable cards?

I stopped Arena a year or so ago, but I didn't consider myself playing seriously at that time. I hadn't played paper Magic in probably a few years prior to that. I usually play for a few years, lose interest and take a few years off, pick it back up, etc.

Way back when I played Sligh and Stasis, mostly. The deck I've ran most recently in a Grand Prix tournament (never placed) was mono red aggro.

I never had any truly valuable cards, but one of my best friends had two sets of the power nine. Yes, I got to play with them and yes, they made me better than everyone else in the room when I did. :P
9/19/20 9:06 PM
4/18/01
Soul Gravy - 
invalid - 

I consider it pretty much unplayable at this point. It's less about deck design and playing skill and more about who can get lucky and drop the first bomb that can't realistically be dealt with.

And it's a damn shame the really intricate combo decks of old like stasis are non-existent today. Now it's all bashing away mindlessly with creatures.

Yeah, that's a very valid criticism of the game state right now. I don't see how they don't keep escalating this in order to satisfy the fanbase. Powering down would just fuck up a rotation and piss players off. I still enjoy Arena, but I have no more interest in paper magic outside of casual beer and pretzels Commander jank.

When I played a lot the power was in spells. Creatures were just kind of ok. Now the expectation is a creature does something when you cast it, does something when it attacks or blocks, and does something when it dies. If it doesn't it's basically garbage.

Played some of the latest release last night and it focuses very heavily on Landfall. With ramp being so pumped up this deck bombed over 100 2/3 creature tokens very early. It was pretty funny
9/19/20 9:11 PM
12/1/05

Oh another brand new ghost account building up the post count numbers. 

9/19/20 11:38 PM
8/15/07
invalid - 
Soul Gravy - 
invalid - 

Yeah, that's a very valid criticism of the game state right now. I don't see how they don't keep escalating this in order to satisfy the fanbase. Powering down would just fuck up a rotation and piss players off. I still enjoy Arena, but I have no more interest in paper magic outside of casual beer and pretzels Commander jank.

When I played a lot the power was in spells. Creatures were just kind of ok. Now the expectation is a creature does something when you cast it, does something when it attacks or blocks, and does something when it dies. If it doesn't it's basically garbage.

Played some of the latest release last night and it focuses very heavily on Landfall. With ramp being so pumped up this deck bombed over 100 2/3 creature tokens very early. It was pretty funny

LOL That's crazy.

I'm also tired of new mechanics all the time. It's gotten to where you need to spend as much time reviewing the rules as playing to keep up with what does what when.

I know several guys who have gone back to playing paper Magic with ooooold cards. Much more fun and far better gameplay.
9/19/20 11:50 PM
5/18/11

Modern is garbage, any good card is getting reprinted a 10 times, thus destroying any aftermarket value. You'll pay 90$ for a box with an expected value of 50$, only smart thing to do is buy any individual cards you want on sites like tcg.

I don't have any black lotus, but I have some unlimited duals, some alphas, betas and maybe 70-100 nm reserved list cards from legends, antiquites, and arabian nights.

9/22/20 6:17 PM
8/15/07
ttt