UnderGround Forums Mark Kerr on Foxcatcher, PRIDE, WWF, The Rock, etc

Edited: 9/19/20 7:10 PM
10/9/15
GladiatorGannon -
Naughty Gorilla - 

People forget his submission wrestling record was incredible

Yeah, people always forget the names he beat. Heck, he submitted Barnett.

Twice as a matter of fact, he was young, but still.

Actually beat him once on points.

9/19/20 7:57 PM
10/5/07
Dangerousdoug - ive heard some rumours about mr kerr but i dont think its very nice to post without evidence.

You mean all of the things he has openly admitted? 

Edited: 9/19/20 9:48 PM
5/26/18

I have such a soft spot for Mark Kerr. Same for BJ Penn. I imagine Jon Jones will end his career tragically and will fall into that group as well. I think Diego Sanchez might be there but he doesn’t seem unhappy or broken, just really weird. 

9/19/20 9:48 PM
9/24/12
NKcell -
Johnzandt -
Siciliano di Brooklyn -

Best Kerr Ever vs Best Brock Ever?

Brock, all day, every day. Kerr never beat any of the Top HW of his era. Brock did. People will make a million excuses for Kerr but just look at the top HW's fighting during his time and he fought none of them

Lol 

Okay, who did Kerr beat that was on a level of someone that Brock beat. Also remember that Brock fought all the best HW's in the UFC. Kerr never fought Smith, Coleman, Randleman, Severn, Couture, Belfort. His last fight in the UFC was against Dwayne Carson. 

9/19/20 11:18 PM
10/10/02
Johnzandt -
NKcell -
Johnzandt -
Siciliano di Brooklyn -

Brock, all day, every day. Kerr never beat any of the Top HW of his era. Brock did. People will make a million excuses for Kerr but just look at the top HW's fighting during his time and he fought none of them

Lol 

Okay, who did Kerr beat that was on a level of someone that Brock beat. Also remember that Brock fought all the best HW's in the UFC. Kerr never fought Smith, Coleman, Randleman, Severn, Couture, Belfort. His last fight in the UFC was against Dwayne Carson. 

Well first off, who did Brock beat?? An over the hill couture , mir and gate keeper heath herring? All 3 were pst their prime and Shane Carwin was a flash in the pan bum.

prime Kerr would destroy Brock , he had better wrestling, waaayyyy better striking, lights years better subs and was just as roided and strong. 

considering you joined in 2012 , you most likely never even watched Kerr fight.

9/19/20 11:29 PM
10/27/03
nottheface -
FingerorMoon -
nottheface -
GladiatorGannon -

Not often you get to say "The Rock ain't jacked enough for the role".

My first reaction too.  Said to myself “isn’t the Rock kind of small to play Kerr” and then realized what I just said.  Kerr was a giant human being 

Ignoring size and skin color, isn’t The Rock way too old to play Kerr?

Johnson is 48yrs old now. He’s recently had a couple of movies where he plays a father trying to save his teenage daughter.

I wouldn’t be overly worried about age. With what they can do with special effects these days, getting rid of some wrinkles and hiding some tats would be easy.  

I think the key is to get a guy even close to that size who can move.  

It’s not a Marvel movie but even the biggest budget movies struggle with cgi on faces to make people younger.

I think they’re more likely to just not mention age and hope everyone suspends their disbelief at the Rock being double the age Kerr was.

Edited: 9/20/20 12:11 AM
9/24/12
NKcell -
Johnzandt -
NKcell -
Johnzandt -
Siciliano di Brooklyn - Best Kerr Ever vs Best Brock Ever?

Lol 

Well first off, who did Brock beat?? An over the hill couture , mir and gate keeper heath herring? All 3 were pst their prime and Shane Carwin was a flash in the pan bum.

prime Kerr would destroy Brock , he had better wrestling, waaayyyy better striking, lights years better subs and was just as roided and strong. 

Ahhh the old 'you joined on this date so you obviously........'. That's just an Ad Hominen. I'm 44 and have been watching MMA since the late 90's. You still managed to ignore the question. Who.did.he.beat?

9/20/20 12:28 AM
10/10/02
Johnzandt -
NKcell -
Johnzandt -
NKcell -
Johnzandt -

Lol 

Ahhh the old 'you joined on this date so you obviously........'. That's just an Ad Hominen. I'm 44 and have been watching MMA since the late 90's. You still managed to ignore the question. Who.did.he.beat?

Hmm OK well if you're 44 and have watched MMA since the 90s and you think Brock would tool Kerr I'd wonder if you're legally blind ? 

neither of them have a great record. Neither beat any huge names in their prime. Doesn't change the fact Kerr was a better fighter 

Edited: 9/20/20 1:23 AM
9/24/12
NKcell -
Johnzandt -
NKcell -
Johnzandt -
NKcell -
Johnzandt -

Lol 

Hmm OK well if you're 44 and have watched MMA since the 90s and you think Brock would tool Kerr I'd wonder if you're legally blind ? 

neither of them have a great record. Neither beat any huge names in their prime. Doesn't change the fact Kerr was a better fighter 

Nothing you said comes anywhere near 'facts'. Kerr beat nobodies on the UFC, Brock beat 4 people who held a belt in the UFC and fought one of the HW Goats (Cain). Those are facts.

9/20/20 1:42 AM
7/2/15
mayor daley -

dumb queston?

is he black? i never could tell

No one knows.

9/20/20 1:43 AM
1/1/01
Johnzandt -
NKcell -
Johnzandt -
NKcell -
Johnzandt -
NKcell -
Johnzandt -

Lol 

Nothing you said comes anywhere near 'facts'. Kerr beat nobodies on the UFC, Brock beat 4 people who held a belt in the UFC and fought one of the HW Goats (Cain). Those are facts.

So, you're calling ranger stott a "nobody"? Maybe you've never heard the little saying "RIP rules and all others rest in peace"

Never heard of Hugo Duarte, Branco Cikatic(R.I.P), Enson Inoue, Fabio Gurgel?

9/20/20 2:09 AM
9/24/12
de braco -
Johnzandt -
NKcell -
Johnzandt -
NKcell -
Johnzandt -
NKcell -
Johnzandt -

Lol 

So, you're calling ranger stott a "nobody"? Maybe you've never heard the little saying "RIP rules and all others rest in peace"

Never heard of Hugo Duarte, Branco Cikatic(R.I.P), Enson Inoue, Fabio Gurgel?

I'm really not sure if you're taking the piss or being serious. Enson, will all due respect to he others, is the only decent MMA fighter in that list. 

9/20/20 2:36 AM
1/1/01

Fabio was very accomplished, he was one of the hand picked bjj guys to face luta livre in the big vale tudo in 91', duarte was no slouch either and cikatic was a world kickboxer

9/20/20 1:09 PM
1/1/01

Kerr's beatdown of Varlens was one of the most savage in the history of NHB.

9/20/20 2:55 PM
1/1/01
Johnzandt -
Siciliano di Brooklyn -

Well, he did fight Vovchanchyn, the single best heavyweight of the era. 1 NC and one loss but it is not like it was an uneven matchup. In those days physique took you a long way.

9/20/20 3:36 PM
8/15/07
Johnzandt - 
NKcell -
Johnzandt -
NKcell -
Johnzandt -
NKcell -
Johnzandt -

Lol 

Not weighing in on this discussion other than to say Cain is not a HW GOAT and that Carwin would have won his fight with Brock via stoppage in the first round if he'd been fighting anyone but Brock.
9/20/20 6:35 PM
9/13/11

In

9/21/20 3:58 AM
1/13/11
This interview was incredible. I came into the MMA game in late 2000s and didn’t dig into the golden era until later. Kerr was such a crazy story. Loved the Smashing Machine doc and started digging more into it. Super down to Earth dude and could’ve talked to him for another hour easily.

Enjoy guys and thanks Kirik for the post.
9/21/20 9:07 AM
11/20/08
Dangerousdoug - ive heard some rumours about mr kerr but i dont think its very nice to post without evidence.

Haha same, from multiple coaches and fighters

9/21/20 1:44 PM
6/12/00

I can remember back before even streaming video was on the web, ADCC had some feature where only a few people could view a live feed at a time...people would report back here with screen grabs and we were like "hey look, there's Kerr!"

Ah, the old days, 20 years ago.

9/21/20 2:29 PM
1/2/20
steak and chicken - 

Haha same, from multiple coaches and fighters

there it is.
9/21/20 3:03 PM
9/1/04
NKcell - 
Johnzandt -
NKcell -
Johnzandt -
NKcell -
Johnzandt -

Lol 

It's really hard stacking up these old timey fighters against modern era guys. The game has advanced so far in ways that aren't immediately visible.

9/21/20 9:08 PM
1/1/01

Good interview.  I hope his channel gets some more views, he has a lot of good ones on there.

9/25/20 10:06 PM
1/1/01

Up

29 days ago
4/5/08
GladiatorGannon - 
NKcell - 
Johnzandt -
NKcell -
Johnzandt -
NKcell -
Johnzandt -

Lol 

It's really hard stacking up these old timey fighters against modern era guys. The game has advanced so far in ways that aren't immediately visible.

+1

It's a completely different sport with a number of similarities at this point.