“One of the dead people is most likely the culprit,” police said in a statement. “There are currently no indications of other perpetrators. Investigations into the identity of the victims and the suspected perpetrator are ongoing.”
Officers sealed off and searched the apartment in Hanau’s Kesselstadt district, near the scene of one of the shootings, after following up witness statements on a getaway car.
Local police initially said that five people had been seriously injured, but later confirmed that eight people were “fatally wounded” in shootings at around 10pm local time and a major operation had been launched.
According to local media, eight or nine shots were fired at the Midnight shisha bar on Heumarkt in the centre of the town.
A dark vehicle was seen leaving the scene. Soon afterwards, shots were fired at a second shisha bar – the Arena Bar & Café in Kurt-Schumacher-Platzin the western Kesselstadt district.
Police initially said eight people had died but later updated the figure to say that nine had been killed in the two attacks.
At least five people were believed very seriously injured in the attacks. It was not clear whether the ninth fatality was one of those injured earlier.
Initial reports of a third incident in the district of Lamboy were denied by police.
Police said on Wednesday night they had no confirmed information on the background of the two attacks and appealed for witnesses to come forward.
Federal prosecutors said Thursday they were taking charge of the investigating the shooting amid reports that the suspect may have had a far-right motive. Newspaper Bild said he had expressed extreme rightwing views in a letter of confession he left behind. The Guardian could not confirm this.
The Federal Prosecutors Office in Karlsruhe, which handles serious crimes, said it planned to hold a news conference later Thursday.