OtherGround Forums Monsanto ordered to pay $2 billion to couple

6 days ago
1/25/04
Posts: 127744
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/us-jury-finds-roundup-weed-killer-caused-cancer/story?id=63015358


In a bombshell verdict, a couple in California have been awarded more than $2 billion in punitive damages in their civil case against Monsanto, after accusing the maker of Roundup weed killer of causing their cancer.

Alva Pilliod and wife Alberta of Livermore, both in their 70s, were diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in 2011 and 2015, respectively. The couple, married for close to 50 years, claimed that they'd sprayed Roundup on their various properties for decades.

The Oakland jury, which awarded each spouse $1 billion in punitive damages in addition to other damages, found that the active ingredient in Roundup -- glyphosate -- had likely caused the couple's cancer.

This is the third verdict against Monsanto in Roundup cases and the biggest so far. The company is facing thousands of lawsuits.

In March 2019, a federal jury in California found that Monsanto's Roundup weed killer caused a 70-year old man's cancer.

The six-member jury in San Francisco federal civil court unanimously concluded that glyphosate was a "substantial factor" in Sonoma resident Edwin Hardeman’s non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.

Hardeman's lawyers said the elderly man developed non-Hodgkin's lymphoma after using Roundup to spray his properties for almost three decades.

And, in August 2018, another California jury awarded groundskeeper Dewayne Johnson -- the first to take on Monsanto -- $289 million in state court, after a jury found Roundup caused his cancer. Johnson's cancer was diagnosed as terminal.


Monsanto was acquired by the pharmaceutical giant Bayer for $63 billion last year. The company is appealing the two previous verdicts in Roundup cases, and it said it would appeal this verdict as well.

Bayer released a statement on its Twitter page after the jury's verdict in California and has repeatedly said that glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup, is safe.
6 days ago
7/21/09
Posts: 3151

Cue Matt Serra

6 days ago
4/24/07
Posts: 38721
Finally California does something right!
6 days ago
5/10/08
Posts: 44873
Gomrad - 

Cue Matt Serra


.

6 days ago
1/6/10
Posts: 8648

Good 

6 days ago
7/31/09
Posts: 17509

You have cancer. now heres 2 million. Hope you have the life to spend it.

6 days ago
4/13/12
Posts: 25957
Kings21 -

You have cancer. now heres 2 million. Hope you have the life to spend it.

Billion.

Fuck Monsanto.  That company has been run by scumbags as long as its existed.

Edited: 6 days ago
3/12/07
Posts: 10671

Remittitur. Punitive damages are capped unless egregious circumstances exist. That amount is likely to be reduced at the very least if it's an award for two individuals. If it were a class action, that would be different.

6 days ago
1/1/01
Posts: 90542

Shady Monsanto is shady. 

6 days ago
7/10/02
Posts: 20945
WikiTheWalrus - 

Remittitur. Punitive damages are capped unless egregious circumstances exist. That amount is likely to be reduced at the very least if it's an award for two individuals. If it were a class action, that would be different.


I hate Monsanto and hope they go bankrupt, taking Bayer (who bought them) down with them, and all their top men get the bad aids, not just the damn company!

But I'm still baffled at how the fucking courts determine these fines!

6 days ago
10/2/12
Posts: 10448
WikiTheWalrus -

Remittitur. Punitive damages are capped unless egregious circumstances exist. That amount is likely to be reduced at the very least if it's an award for two individuals. If it were a class action, that would be different.

News said there are something like 1300 pending cases against them right now. 

6 days ago
8/5/17
Posts: 596

Fuck yeah doctor judges. I'm goin out west!

6 days ago
3/1/10
Posts: 8782

They'll settle for a fraction of that.

These massive judgments always make headlines, but almost all of them end up settled for far less. The couple will still walk away very wealthy, though.


Fuck Monsanto.

Edited: 6 days ago
5/29/18
Posts: 1062
Sprawl'n'Stall -
WikiTheWalrus - 

Remittitur. Punitive damages are capped unless egregious circumstances exist. That amount is likely to be reduced at the very least if it's an award for two individuals. If it were a class action, that would be different.


I hate Monsanto and hope they go bankrupt, taking Bayer (who bought them) down with them, and all their top men get the bad aids, not just the damn company!

But I'm still baffled at how the fucking courts determine these fines!
 

Random story.

We got an order from Monsanto one time out of the blue about 4 months back.

Needed slide bearings for oil tanks.

I almost rejected the order out of principle until i saw the invoice lol.

 

6 days ago
5/29/18
Posts: 1063
Kings21 -

You have cancer. now heres 2 million. Hope you have the life to spend it.

Fucked up. But if they have children at least they will be set.

Reminds me of people wrongfully convicted of a crime and spend years in prison only for their judgement to get overturned for whatever reason.

Like you spend majority of your life locked up for basically no reason only to get released into the world with nothing. 

6 days ago
5/29/18
Posts: 1064
David@accu - Finally California does something right!

Wasnt there a farmer or field worker in CA who recently got awarded a similar judgement for the same chemical? 

6 days ago
1/6/10
Posts: 8649

Good

6 days ago
1/1/01
Posts: 3401
You guys are fucking morons. And for a forum that does nothing but bash on California for being full of hippy idiots...here you have a layperson jury from the Bay Area making decisions about something they are clueless about. How about instead of 12 Wal-Mart clerks, we put four biologists, four chemists, and four oncologists on the jury.

Glyphoste has never been shown to cause cancer, despite what Facebook tells you. In fact, glyphosate (on which the patent has run out and can be made by anyone) in combination with compatible crops, produce far improved crop yields, uses much less herbicide overall, and is far less toxic than any other herbicide on the market. Ask a farmer, not a Facebooker.

Monsanto also never sued anybody for 'seeds blowing onto a field accidentally'. I think they sued two people ever, both of whom stole the seed and planted 90% of their fields with Monsanto seed, with the other 10% being used around the edges of the farm to conceal what they'd done. And they were turned in by their neighbours. Think differently? Here is your chance to post some court cases. But I'll save you some time: they don't exist outside of the imaginations of fear-mongers.

And finally, Californians think that everything causes cancer.
6 days ago
5/14/10
Posts: 6042
FetusofFury - You guys are fucking morons. And for a forum that does nothing but bash on California for being full of hippy idiots...here you have a layperson jury from the Bay Area making decisions about something they are clueless about. How about instead of 12 Wal-Mart clerks, we put four biologists, four chemists, and four oncologists on the jury.

Glyphoste has never been shown to cause cancer, despite what Facebook tells you. In fact, glyphosate (on which the patent has run out and can be made by anyone) in combination with compatible crops, produce far improved crop yields, uses much less herbicide overall, and is far less toxic than any other herbicide on the market. Ask a farmer, not a Facebooker.

Monsanto also never sued anybody for 'seeds blowing onto a field accidentally'. I think they sued two people ever, both of whom stole the seed and planted 90% of their fields with Monsanto seed, with the other 10% being used around the edges of the farm to conceal what they'd done. And they were turned in by their neighbours. Think differently? Here is your chance to post some court cases. But I'll save you some time: they don't exist outside of the imaginations of fear-mongers.

And finally, Californians think that everything causes cancer.

See, that's what I've been saying all along. Monsanto are the GOOD guys and we should trust them!
6 days ago
12/9/13
Posts: 5533
FetusofFury - You guys are fucking morons. And for a forum that does nothing but bash on California for being full of hippy idiots...here you have a layperson jury from the Bay Area making decisions about something they are clueless about. How about instead of 12 Wal-Mart clerks, we put four biologists, four chemists, and four oncologists on the jury.

Glyphoste has never been shown to cause cancer, despite what Facebook tells you. In fact, glyphosate (on which the patent has run out and can be made by anyone) in combination with compatible crops, produce far improved crop yields, uses much less herbicide overall, and is far less toxic than any other herbicide on the market. Ask a farmer, not a Facebooker.

Monsanto also never sued anybody for 'seeds blowing onto a field accidentally'. I think they sued two people ever, both of whom stole the seed and planted 90% of their fields with Monsanto seed, with the other 10% being used around the edges of the farm to conceal what they'd done. And they were turned in by their neighbours. Think differently? Here is your chance to post some court cases. But I'll save you some time: they don't exist outside of the imaginations of fear-mongers.

And finally, Californians think that everything causes cancer.

^ this right here.

Ban glyphosate watch the use of persistent herbicides go through the roof.

Edited: 6 days ago
6/28/16
Posts: 1965

Monsanto rapes, it’s a fact.

6 days ago
9/3/12
Posts: 28263
RedGone -

Fuck yeah doctor judges. I'm goin out west!

Don’t forget the cancer ! 

6 days ago
1/1/01
Posts: 3402
" See, that's what I've been saying all along. Monsanto are the GOOD guys and we should trust them! "

They develop chemical and bio-technology products that help farmers produce more and higher quality food, using the same amount of land, while requiring less usage of a less toxic herbicide.

If feeding the world, making less pollution, and saving farmers and the consumer money is wrong, then I don't know what you would consider 'right'.

But don't take my word for it: go talk to some farmers.
6 days ago
4/11/08
Posts: 6668
Freaky_Hibiki - 
FetusofFury - You guys are fucking morons. And for a forum that does nothing but bash on California for being full of hippy idiots...here you have a layperson jury from the Bay Area making decisions about something they are clueless about. How about instead of 12 Wal-Mart clerks, we put four biologists, four chemists, and four oncologists on the jury.

Glyphoste has never been shown to cause cancer, despite what Facebook tells you. In fact, glyphosate (on which the patent has run out and can be made by anyone) in combination with compatible crops, produce far improved crop yields, uses much less herbicide overall, and is far less toxic than any other herbicide on the market. Ask a farmer, not a Facebooker.

Monsanto also never sued anybody for 'seeds blowing onto a field accidentally'. I think they sued two people ever, both of whom stole the seed and planted 90% of their fields with Monsanto seed, with the other 10% being used around the edges of the farm to conceal what they'd done. And they were turned in by their neighbours. Think differently? Here is your chance to post some court cases. But I'll save you some time: they don't exist outside of the imaginations of fear-mongers.

And finally, Californians think that everything causes cancer.

See, that's what I've been saying all along. Monsanto are the GOOD guys and we should trust them!

He gave you fact and issued a challenge.

You fell for a stupid conspiracy theory based on your feelings, plus whopping ignorance.
6 days ago
5/14/10
Posts: 6045
Uh huh. Court of law says one thing, two homos on the OG say differently. I will choose to believe you guys.