OtherGround Forums Monsanto ordered to pay $2 billion to couple

6 days ago
1/25/04
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/us-jury-finds-roundup-weed-killer-caused-cancer/story?id=63015358

In a bombshell verdict, a couple in California have been awarded more than $2 billion in punitive damages in their civil case against Monsanto, after accusing the maker of Roundup weed killer of causing their cancer.

Alva Pilliod and wife Alberta of Livermore, both in their 70s, were diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in 2011 and 2015, respectively. The couple, married for close to 50 years, claimed that they'd sprayed Roundup on their various properties for decades.

The Oakland jury, which awarded each spouse $1 billion in punitive damages in addition to other damages, found that the active ingredient in Roundup -- glyphosate -- had likely caused the couple's cancer.

This is the third verdict against Monsanto in Roundup cases and the biggest so far. The company is facing thousands of lawsuits.

In March 2019, a federal jury in California found that Monsanto's Roundup weed killer caused a 70-year old man's cancer.

The six-member jury in San Francisco federal civil court unanimously concluded that glyphosate was a "substantial factor" in Sonoma resident Edwin Hardeman’s non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.

Hardeman's lawyers said the elderly man developed non-Hodgkin's lymphoma after using Roundup to spray his properties for almost three decades.

And, in August 2018, another California jury awarded groundskeeper Dewayne Johnson -- the first to take on Monsanto -- $289 million in state court, after a jury found Roundup caused his cancer. Johnson's cancer was diagnosed as terminal.

Monsanto was acquired by the pharmaceutical giant Bayer for $63 billion last year. The company is appealing the two previous verdicts in Roundup cases, and it said it would appeal this verdict as well.

Bayer released a statement on its Twitter page after the jury's verdict in California and has repeatedly said that glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup, is safe.
6 days ago
7/21/09

Cue Matt Serra

6 days ago
4/24/07
Finally California does something right!
6 days ago
5/10/08
Gomrad - 

Cue Matt Serra

6 days ago
1/6/10

Good 

6 days ago
7/31/09

You have cancer. now heres 2 million. Hope you have the life to spend it.

6 days ago
4/13/12
Kings21 -

Billion.

Fuck Monsanto.  That company has been run by scumbags as long as its existed.

Edited: 6 days ago
3/12/07

Remittitur. Punitive damages are capped unless egregious circumstances exist. That amount is likely to be reduced at the very least if it's an award for two individuals. If it were a class action, that would be different.

6 days ago
1/1/01

Shady Monsanto is shady. 

6 days ago
7/10/02
WikiTheWalrus - 

Remittitur. Punitive damages are capped unless egregious circumstances exist. That amount is likely to be reduced at the very least if it's an award for two individuals. If it were a class action, that would be different.

I hate Monsanto and hope they go bankrupt, taking Bayer (who bought them) down with them, and all their top men get the bad aids, not just the damn company!

But I'm still baffled at how the fucking courts determine these fines!

6 days ago
10/2/12
WikiTheWalrus -

News said there are something like 1300 pending cases against them right now. 

6 days ago
8/5/17

Fuck yeah doctor judges. I'm goin out west!

6 days ago
3/1/10

They'll settle for a fraction of that.

These massive judgments always make headlines, but almost all of them end up settled for far less. The couple will still walk away very wealthy, though.

Fuck Monsanto.

5/29/18
Sprawl'n'Stall -
WikiTheWalrus - 

I hate Monsanto and hope they go bankrupt, taking Bayer (who bought them) down with them, and all their top men get the bad aids, not just the damn company!

But I'm still baffled at how the fucking courts determine these fines!

Random story.

We got an order from Monsanto one time out of the blue about 4 months back.

Needed slide bearings for oil tanks.

I almost rejected the order out of principle until i saw the invoice lol.

6 days ago
5/29/18
Kings21 -

Fucked up. But if they have children at least they will be set.

Reminds me of people wrongfully convicted of a crime and spend years in prison only for their judgement to get overturned for whatever reason.

Like you spend majority of your life locked up for basically no reason only to get released into the world with nothing. 

6 days ago
5/29/18
David@accu - Finally California does something right!

Wasnt there a farmer or field worker in CA who recently got awarded a similar judgement for the same chemical? 

6 days ago
1/6/10

Good

6 days ago
1/1/01
You guys are fucking morons. And for a forum that does nothing but bash on California for being full of hippy idiots...here you have a layperson jury from the Bay Area making decisions about something they are clueless about. How about instead of 12 Wal-Mart clerks, we put four biologists, four chemists, and four oncologists on the jury.

Glyphoste has never been shown to cause cancer, despite what Facebook tells you. In fact, glyphosate (on which the patent has run out and can be made by anyone) in combination with compatible crops, produce far improved crop yields, uses much less herbicide overall, and is far less toxic than any other herbicide on the market. Ask a farmer, not a Facebooker.

Monsanto also never sued anybody for 'seeds blowing onto a field accidentally'. I think they sued two people ever, both of whom stole the seed and planted 90% of their fields with Monsanto seed, with the other 10% being used around the edges of the farm to conceal what they'd done. And they were turned in by their neighbours. Think differently? Here is your chance to post some court cases. But I'll save you some time: they don't exist outside of the imaginations of fear-mongers.

And finally, Californians think that everything causes cancer.
6 days ago
5/14/10
FetusofFury - You guys are fucking morons. And for a forum that does nothing but bash on California for being full of hippy idiots...here you have a layperson jury from the Bay Area making decisions about something they are clueless about. How about instead of 12 Wal-Mart clerks, we put four biologists, four chemists, and four oncologists on the jury.

Glyphoste has never been shown to cause cancer, despite what Facebook tells you. In fact, glyphosate (on which the patent has run out and can be made by anyone) in combination with compatible crops, produce far improved crop yields, uses much less herbicide overall, and is far less toxic than any other herbicide on the market. Ask a farmer, not a Facebooker.

Monsanto also never sued anybody for 'seeds blowing onto a field accidentally'. I think they sued two people ever, both of whom stole the seed and planted 90% of their fields with Monsanto seed, with the other 10% being used around the edges of the farm to conceal what they'd done. And they were turned in by their neighbours. Think differently? Here is your chance to post some court cases. But I'll save you some time: they don't exist outside of the imaginations of fear-mongers.

See, that's what I've been saying all along. Monsanto are the GOOD guys and we should trust them!
6 days ago
12/9/13
FetusofFury - You guys are fucking morons. And for a forum that does nothing but bash on California for being full of hippy idiots...here you have a layperson jury from the Bay Area making decisions about something they are clueless about. How about instead of 12 Wal-Mart clerks, we put four biologists, four chemists, and four oncologists on the jury.

^ this right here.

Ban glyphosate watch the use of persistent herbicides go through the roof.

6/28/16

Monsanto rapes, it’s a fact.

6 days ago
9/3/12
RedGone -

Fuck yeah doctor judges. I'm goin out west!

Don’t forget the cancer ! 

6 days ago
1/1/01
" See, that's what I've been saying all along. Monsanto are the GOOD guys and we should trust them! "

They develop chemical and bio-technology products that help farmers produce more and higher quality food, using the same amount of land, while requiring less usage of a less toxic herbicide.

If feeding the world, making less pollution, and saving farmers and the consumer money is wrong, then I don't know what you would consider 'right'.

But don't take my word for it: go talk to some farmers.
6 days ago
4/11/08
Freaky_Hibiki - 
FetusofFury - You guys are fucking morons. And for a forum that does nothing but bash on California for being full of hippy idiots...here you have a layperson jury from the Bay Area making decisions about something they are clueless about. How about instead of 12 Wal-Mart clerks, we put four biologists, four chemists, and four oncologists on the jury.

See, that's what I've been saying all along. Monsanto are the GOOD guys and we should trust them!

He gave you fact and issued a challenge.

You fell for a stupid conspiracy theory based on your feelings, plus whopping ignorance.
6 days ago
5/14/10
Uh huh. Court of law says one thing, two homos on the OG say differently. I will choose to believe you guys.