OtherGround Forums Most innovative video game you ever played?

9/23/20 5:10 PM
7/12/12

Goldeneye multiplayer, System linked Halo, Oblivion

9/23/20 5:16 PM
3/20/15
Pilgor the goat - 

FF7, The Witcher 3 and The Secret of Monkey Island are mine. Monkey Island got me into video games at like 10, FF7 got me hooked at like 13 and the Withcher blew my mind at 35.

What did Witcher do for you that other RPG's didn't.. ie, Oblivion, Skyfim, Fallouts etc... ?

Curious. I'm so very little (far into) into Witcher, like 5 %, I just don't game in the summer so I'll fire it up again here soon when the snow falls, or the it's starts getting nipply out...

9/23/20 5:17 PM
3/16/10

Halo CE.

9/23/20 5:18 PM
1/1/01
BrowBeaten - 
ku3mm3t -

Metal Gear Solid or FFVII

Came here to say Metal Gear Solid on PS1

I remember watching a friend of mine play MGS on PS1 and it blowing my mind that new screens didn't have to load / appear when you went someplace...the scenery, background, & so on just kept transitioning with you no matter where you went.

9/23/20 5:19 PM
2/14/11

Tekken, when it first came out the 3D fighting blew my mind. All we’d had at that point was 2D like Street Fighter.

9/23/20 5:20 PM
1/1/01

I'm sure it wasn't at all the first game to do this, but Heavy Rain was the first game I remember playing where the decisions you made led to an actual outcome in the game, and the experience could be altered based on what you chose to do.

Along those lines, Infamous was the first game I remember playing where you could go through the whole game playing as either a hero or villain.

9/23/20 5:22 PM
1/2/20
Orcarina of time
9/23/20 5:23 PM
6/7/05
Quake
9/23/20 5:27 PM
1/1/01

Oregon Trail

9/23/20 5:32 PM
5/22/02
holly9000 - 

And if we're talking innovative you have to mention Bayonetta

Not really, it's a Devil May Cry-em-up

Killer 7 gets my vote.
9/23/20 5:36 PM
7/24/14
DaveFu -

Oregon Trail

Oops, you have died of dysentery!

9/23/20 6:58 PM
5/28/12

Shenmue should get a mention as well as Minecraft

Edited: 9/23/20 7:07 PM
11/20/09

Innovative is the key word here.

I only heard about this game last week, but have any of you guys heard of the game "Among us"?

It's not about graphics.  Graphics are very generic.  It's the CONCEPT of the game that makes it so innovative. 

It's 10 real people per game you play with.  

All of you are on a big spaceship(moot).

Out of the 10 people, at random, 2 of them will be what is called "imposters".

The purpose is to win, whether your one of the 8 or one of the 2 imposters.  

How do you win?

Well, as mentioned before, you're on a spaceship and the premise is that there will always be something wrong in the spaceship that has to be fixed.  There are "stations" where you can fix certain sections.  

So, if you don't fix the problem in time, everyone dies, imposters win. 

Imposters, are the only characters who can kill, and you can't kill the other imposter. 

So, there are MANY strategies for both aspects, and it's a game of deception.  Once you go fix a station, you'll probably move to another station.  Usually, by this time, an imposter will have killed a player.  The round continues until someone discovers a dead body and reports it.  When a dead body is reported, the round stops and everyone has a meeting.  No one knows who the imposters are, except for the imposters. 

Characters are different colors, blue, yellow, brown, black, green, orange, etc....

So, during the meeting, you can type or chat a message like, "I didn't kill anyone, I discovered the body".  But the thing is, is imposters can also report dead bodies so you don't know if the person is lying or not. 

During the meeting, after everyone has chimed in, everyone votes for who they think the imposters are.  Whoever gets the most votes, gets voted off the ship.  Once the votes are casted, whoever is voted off is revealed, "Yellow was NOT the imposter", or, "Yellow WAS the imposter".  

It's very innovative.  I'll see if I can find a video that might explain it better. 

9/23/20 7:09 PM
11/20/09

Also, Max Payne's slow motion aspect I felt was innovative.  I don't recall the slow motion in shooters being a thing until that game was released.

9/23/20 7:09 PM
3/20/15
BringBackHeadbutts - 

I only heard about this game last week, but have any of you guys heard of the game "Among us"?

It's not about graphics.  Graphics are very generic.  It's the CONCEPT of the game that makes it so innovative. 

How do you win?

Well, as mentioned before, you're on a spaceship and the premise is that there will always be something wrong in the spaceship that has to be fixed.  There are "stations" where you can fix certain sections.  

Imposters, are the only characters who can kill, and you can't kill the other imposter. 

So, there are MANY strategies for both aspects, and it's a game of deception.  Once you go fix a station, you'll probably move to another station.  Usually, by this time, an imposter will have killed a player.  The round continues until someone discovers a dead body and reports it.  When a dead body is reported, the round stops and everyone has a meeting.  No one knows who the imposters are, except for the imposters. 

Characters are different colors, blue, yellow, brown, black, green, orange, etc....

So, during the meeting, you can type or chat a message like, "I didn't kill anyone, I discovered the body".  But the thing is, is imposters can also report dead bodies so you don't know if the person is lying or not. 

During the meeting, after everyone has chimed in, everyone votes for who they think the imposters are.  Whoever gets the most votes, gets voted off the ship.  Once the votes are casted, whoever is voted off is revealed, "Yellow was NOT the imposter", or, "Yellow WAS the imposter".  

It's very innovative.  I'll see if I can find a video that might explain it better. 

I can't get out of the first room.... I can open the computer but all it does it let me customize the little blob player.....wtf ?

9/23/20 7:13 PM
11/20/09

9/23/20 7:13 PM
6/5/14

Can’t remember what they were called but the original D&D games on Commodore 64.  Played the shit out of them and laid the foundation for all future games of the like 

9/23/20 7:14 PM
2/4/06
RhinoHog -
BringBackHeadbutts - 

How do you win?

I can't get out of the first room.... I can open the computer but all it does it let me customize the little blob player.....wtf ?

That room doesn't open until enough people are in the game. There's no AI. It's multiplayer only. If anyone has played the card game Assassin it's a game built around that basic premise.

9/23/20 7:15 PM
9/22/09

- Dead Space

- LA Noire

9/23/20 7:26 PM
1/1/01

R type. Having that orb in front and upgrades were so cool

9/23/20 7:45 PM
11/20/09

I haven't played Among Us yet, but I just went to my phone to download it, and it was the FIRST recommendation for me to download. 

It's FREE to download.  It was the #1 recommended phone download b/c it's currently very popular and is getting more popular each day.  

I'm probably going to love it immediately and be hooked for a month or 2, or I'll play 1 or 2 games and be done with it.  I'll report back later. 

9/23/20 7:47 PM
12/18/03

Counter-strike and it's not even close. 

9/23/20 7:54 PM
3/24/07
Sonic The Hedgehog
9/23/20 7:59 PM
12/18/10

The most mind blowingly addictive were tiberian sun and dark souls

9/23/20 8:00 PM
11/21/05

It's Minecraft...objectively.