OtherGround Forums Most innovative video game you ever played?

27 days ago
4/11/05

The answer is Tony Hawks pro skater. 

Revolutionary in its time... People still rave about it today.

The 1st one was amazingly out there and ahead. 

27 days ago
9/18/13

Fallout 2 blew my fucking mind. Still one of my favorite games of all time. of all time. ALL TIME.

27 days ago
10/21/09
Outlaw’d by Lytle -

Tekken, when it first came out the 3D fighting blew my mind. All we’d had at that point was 2D like Street Fighter.

There was Virtua Fighter by Sega that came out a little earlier. Tekken was the funner game though.

27 days ago
1/1/01

Sinistar

It scarred a whole generation of video game mall rats.
27 days ago
11/20/09

Well, even though the game isn't for me, it does meet the "innovative" aspect. 

I think I would enjoy "Among Us" more if I could talk instead of text.  That makes a difference.  

I had trouble getting a room, then the first game I played I was immediately killed.  Next 2 games were decent but, again, just not for me.  

27 days ago
11/20/09

INNOVATIVE, not talking about great or enjoyable.  Innovative=new or original

That being said

Pitfall Harry on Atari.  First of it's kind

Super Mario Brothers, first of it's kind

Spy Hunter was innovative

Operation Wolf was innovative

Jurassic Park was innovative

Flashback on Sega was innovative

Street Fighter was innovative

Max Payne

Final Fantasy

GTA

Red Dead

Those are all original concepts.

27 days ago
11/16/17

I've been a gamer all my life and always got the newest consoles for Christmas or my birthday and I'll say hands down it's GTA3. 

It completely changed everything..... Not just for me but the whole gaming world. 

27 days ago
10/27/03
Its hard to point to 'most innovative'. Video games have always been on a march towards real life (or a Hollywood movie equivalent of it). Each generation of games builds upon the last and all the different genres apply the lessons learned from each other.

It was mind blowing for many of us when open world games moved to 3D in the late 90s to early 2000s. (GTA and Elder Scrolls being probably the biggest examples) - but does that make them innovative? They were just applying on a larger scale the things being done in smaller contained games like 1 x 1 fighting games for at least 5 years.

Even the original 2D Mario game was an expansion of the original Donkey Kong series, where Mario first appeared.
27 days ago
3/24/07
Thebonfirexm - 

I've been a gamer all my life and always got the newest consoles for Christmas or my birthday and I'll say hands down it's GTA3. 

It completely changed everything..... Not just for me but the whole gaming world. 

It really was pretty amazing.
27 days ago
10/3/12

Going back, I'd say Baseball Stars for NES. You could build your own team and slowly work up players skills AND YOU COULD SAVE YOUR PROGRESS!

Going WAY back, as shitty as the E.T Game was for Atari, the fact the world was presented on a multisided cube you traveled to by going to the left or right or top and bottom of the screen was pretty innovative.

Civilization

iRacing itself isn't all that innovative, but with VR headset it becomes mind blowing.

Life Is Strange

27 days ago
1/1/01

I agree with a lot of the above.

But Rez blew my mind.

27 days ago
7/28/08

Y’all must have forgotten about Myst. It laid the groundwork for every modern videogame.  

27 days ago
11/16/17
JCMcGee -

One of the best. Get the remake of one and two.... It's fucking awesome. 

SKATE is one of the best games ever made, 3rd was too cartoony but amazing. 

These games like session and skate xl suck a fucking dick. They over complicated a perfect system cause I'm sure EA has the rights to the controls, but EA lost the rights so maybe before I die we get a skate 4ish type game 

Edited: 27 days ago
1/19/03

While you little boys are sitting on the couch pulling yur puds, I'll be fucking shit up!! 

27 days ago
11/16/17
jcross -

I had a friend that had one and he bought and sold it for a looooooot of money 

27 days ago
2/5/14

Going from the 2D play on a SNES to the 3D play on the N64 was mind blowing when I was a kid. Super Mario 64.

27 days ago
2/7/20
Outlaw’d by Lytle -

Tekken, when it first came out the 3D fighting blew my mind. All we’d had at that point was 2D like Street Fighter.

When I get drunk and the wife passes out... I’ll bust out Tekken... the newer version... but I played way back... another Tekken-ish game I love was Soul Calibur... same feel.. same competitiveness.. but weapons

27 days ago
1/1/01
Bushido Blade 1 and 2.
27 days ago
1/1/01

Also, Star fox. Sure xwing vs tie fighter was out but I was too young for simulators. 

27 days ago
1/1/01
Speaking of "3D" and polygons, SEGA was at the forefront with Virtua-Racing and Virtua-Fighter. Though, Ridge Racer (the one with the entire cabinet) by Namco had everyone's jaws on the floor when it showed up at the local arcade at the mall that I went to.
27 days ago
1/1/01
What was that one PC game that came out in the late-90s that was a 3D first-person shooter, but you were inside a small craft and allowed full 360 degree movement ie. up, down, right, left. Anyone remember what I'm talking about. And you basically piloted the ship through tunnels and stuff. Game gave me a head-ache and made you constantly move your own head as you were operating the game controls, lol.

I've never seen that concept done every again.
27 days ago
1/1/01
Thebonfirexm - 
JCMcGee -

One of the best. Get the remake of one and two.... It's fucking awesome. 

SKATE is one of the best games ever made, 3rd was too cartoony but amazing. 

These games like session and skate xl suck a fucking dick. They over complicated a perfect system cause I'm sure EA has the rights to the controls, but EA lost the rights so maybe before I die we get a skate 4ish type game 

Speaking of SKATE's controls, the EA Fight Night Boxing game that had rotary thumb controls was pretty revolutionary, imo. Actually made the game fun for a change.
27 days ago
11/16/17
Liyon - Speaking of "3D" and polygons, SEGA was at the forefront with Virtua-Racing and Virtua-Fighter. Though, Ridge Racer (the one with the entire cabinet) by Namco had everyone's jaws on the floor when it showed up at the local arcade at the mall that I went to.

Ridge racer with 4 people connected ate so many quarters in the day with me and my friends they would have to come over and say you guys have to get off it for a while cause we wouldn't move from it a couple hours at a clip 

27 days ago
1/1/01
Liyon - What was that one PC game that came out in the late-90s that was a 3D first-person shooter, but you were inside a small craft and allowed full 360 degree movement ie. up, down, right, left. Anyone remember what I'm talking about. And you basically piloted the ship through tunnels and stuff. Game gave me a head-ache and made you constantly move your own head as you were operating the game controls, lol.

I've never seen that concept done every again.

Just looked it up. Descent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keS0Hts2LpQ
27 days ago
7/13/09

Leisure Suit Larry