OtherGround Forums Most innovative video game you ever played?

9/24/20 11:21 AM
10/12/10

Operation Flashpoint (original title b4 Arma series) - first open world game that let users jump in and out of land, air and sea vehicles - led to Battlefield series etc...

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - one of the first to implement historical accuracy & movie inspired missions, set the foundations for modern FPS - spawned COD franchise

GTA 1 & 3 - first 2d and 3d open world cities

Wolfenstein3D - 1st 3d FPS

Doom - 1st mainstream FPS 

Unreal/Quake - set the foundations for multiplayer FPS and game engines

Edited: 9/24/20 11:29 AM
5/3/01
Dreville79 - 

If you’re not saying Super Mario 64 you simply weren’t there. It remains the only game I ever played for the first time (9 fucking months before I could actually buy it, which killed me), and I was simply speechless. It may not hold up like Mario World does, but at the time what they achieved with that game was simply impossible 

there were a handful of 3D exploration games prior to mario64

what it got right was mostly technical. nintendo really, really dialed in depth of field and therefore camera behavior.

they also did an awesome job making the art fit both the capabilities of the machine and the interactability of the environment. that goes hand-in-hand with working out exactly how mario and the other characters moved in space and how you controlled that movement.

masterpiece to be sure, but there were some before it. it was just WAY better. it benefitted a lot from the n64 being just a little younger than satrun and ps1.

i really liked fade to black. it was probably the best effort at a 3d world game before martio64. edit - sequel to the innovative flashback games from the prior console generation

9/24/20 11:29 AM
11/20/09
NFABeeJay - 

Fortnite

I dont play the game but the size of it along with the building and interactive environment with very minimal frame drops is pretty extraordinary.  That and their free and constant update model.  Game Changer

I'd say Player Unknown BattleGrounds because it's the same concept of a game but it came out prior to Fortnite, but yes, very innovative. 

Fortnite in it's own right is innovative b/c they added the building aspect. 

9/24/20 11:30 AM
11/20/09

Twisted Metal was also innovative. 

Actually, now that I think about it, a game on NES called RC Pro Am was innovative.  Racing game that incorporated things like oil spils, missiles, spots on the track you can gain speed boost.  Something similar was done with Spy Hunter but Spy Hunter didn't incorporate other racers.

9/24/20 11:53 AM
1/1/01
Severance: Blade of Darkness for PC, 2000 or 2001.

The first third-person hack and slash combat game I can remember. The original Devil May Cry came out in 2001 for PS2, and it allowed full 3-D motion but you were still locked into rooms or areas a la Resident Evil. BoD was essentially open world but with legit combat (i.e., not the simple combat in Morrowind or even Skyrim years later) - you had blocking, dodging, combos, and so on, and you got more abilities as you leveled up, and enemies would fuck you up fast if you didn't play skillfully.

Blade of Darkness was the grand-daddy of games like Ninja Gaiden (XBox, not NES), Prince of Persia, Dark Souls, Assassin's Creed, etc. It was kinda fun at the time, but hasn't aged well.

Grand scheme of things, Dynasty Warriors kinda had the same idea, but DW has always been about slaughtering hordes of weak mooks. Blade of Darkness was that visceral 1 on 1 (or 1 on 2 or 3 if you screwed up) that Dark Souls has made so popular now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNK0_G0CGvk
Edited: 9/24/20 11:53 AM
3/5/13
BringBackHeadbutts -
NFABeeJay - 

Fortnite

I dont play the game but the size of it along with the building and interactive environment with very minimal frame drops is pretty extraordinary.  That and their free and constant update model.  Game Changer

I'd say Player Unknown BattleGrounds because it's the same concept of a game but it came out prior to Fortnite, but yes, very innovative. 

Fortnite in it's own right is innovative b/c they added the building aspect. 

I wasnt necessarily talking about the battle royale aspect because PubG nailed it.  I was more talking about how smooth Fortnite is able to run, especially on console.  

9/24/20 12:11 PM
3/1/07

Metal Gear Solid 2 on the Xbox

9/24/20 1:03 PM
8/7/02
Dreville79 -

If you’re not saying Super Mario 64 you simply weren’t there. It remains the only game I ever played for the first time (9 fucking months before I could actually buy it, which killed me), and I was simply speechless. It may not hold up like Mario World does, but at the time what they achieved with that game was simply impossible 

That's why I also chose it.  I can think of a lot of other amazing landmark games, but nothing is as revolutionary as mario64.  it's the first example of a go-anywhere 3d game where you felt like you were actually inside of this massive magical world. No other game before it was able to deliver that sense of scale and exploration and overall wonder. 

9/24/20 1:26 PM
1/27/04

Mass Effect 1-3

9/24/20 1:34 PM
11/23/07

in for later

9/24/20 1:39 PM
9/30/08

shenmue for dreamcast, look it up. The Japanese are insane. It was the first sandbox game ( like GTA) but instead of a city they took a little 80's Japanese town and went insane on the details. The weather changes and matches the actual weather patterns in that part of the country at that time. 

People go to work and come home to do whatever after they are off work. You can enter every house, open every drawer. Game was made for maximum OCD.

9/24/20 3:08 PM
5/3/01
Rusty_Shackleford - 

shenmue for dreamcast, look it up. The Japanese are insane. It was the first sandbox game ( like GTA) but instead of a city they took a little 80's Japanese town and went insane on the details. The weather changes and matches the actual weather patterns in that part of the country at that time. 

People go to work and come home to do whatever after they are off work. You can enter every house, open every drawer. Game was made for maximum OCD.

forklift sim

9/24/20 3:39 PM
4/21/09

Golden eyes literally spawned the current generation of first person shooters.

I'm add, GTA5, AND FF7

9/24/20 3:47 PM
9/27/15
Super Mario 64 blew me away. I remember running around the first few levels in aww..
9/24/20 3:56 PM
9/27/15
hjr2 - 

Going back, I'd say Baseball Stars for NES. You could build your own team and slowly work up players skills AND YOU COULD SAVE YOUR PROGRESS!

Going WAY back, as shitty as the E.T Game was for Atari, the fact the world was presented on a multisided cube you traveled to by going to the left or right or top and bottom of the screen was pretty innovative.

Civilization

iRacing itself isn't all that innovative, but with VR headset it becomes mind blowing.

Life Is Strange

Good call! Baseball Stars was amazing for it's time. Me and my buddies put sooo many hours into this game. As cool as the team creation and player power ups were, you'd think there'd be sequels and modern version but nope wtf

9/24/20 5:03 PM
7/8/02
ons ear -
hjr2 - 

Going back, I'd say Baseball Stars for NES. You could build your own team and slowly work up players skills AND YOU COULD SAVE YOUR PROGRESS!

Going WAY back, as shitty as the E.T Game was for Atari, the fact the world was presented on a multisided cube you traveled to by going to the left or right or top and bottom of the screen was pretty innovative.

Civilization

iRacing itself isn't all that innovative, but with VR headset it becomes mind blowing.

Life Is Strange

Good call! Baseball Stars was amazing for it's time. Me and my buddies put sooo many hours into this game. As cool as the team creation and player power ups were, you'd think there'd be sequels and modern version but nope wtf

It wasn’t just team creation and power ups. Although those were huge for the time. It was also the fact you could build a league just the teams you wanted. It would build the schedule and keep track of stats for you. That was unheard of. And awesome for making a league with your buds.

Im not sure that option is available even in modern games. I’ve tried in the latest NBA and NHL games.

9/24/20 5:09 PM
7/8/02

Two games that come to mind:

wii sports. Four people standing six feet apart playing virtual tennis was pretty wild.

Star Control 2. Massive game. So much exploring to do and combining that with the starship battle mechanics was amazing. You could do a huge 1 player 100 hour space exploring game, or a 2 player 5 minute 1v1 melee battle using 16 unique ships.

9/24/20 5:22 PM
5/5/07

Witcher 3 is literally the perfect game and is a standard for all games.

Assassins creed even copied their model in their latest two games. 

Cyperpunk gonna be wild 

9/24/20 5:27 PM
11/16/17
BringBackHeadbutts -

Twisted Metal was also innovative. 

Actually, now that I think about it, a game on NES called RC Pro Am was innovative.  Racing game that incorporated things like oil spils, missiles, spots on the track you can gain speed boost.  Something similar was done with Spy Hunter but Spy Hunter didn't incorporate other racers.

Twisted metal rocked. 

There was a tank game for n64 before twisted metal that I was playing at best buy when best buy just opened and I was playing it and my dad go's "you want that?" of course I said yes, my dad played the game more than me haha. He'd sit on a Sunday between football games and switch to the AV on the TV and crush it lol

9/24/20 5:29 PM
11/16/17
Rusty_Shackleford -

I've never played them but everyone says the same thing, it was the OG GTA3 

9/24/20 5:32 PM
8/18/13
Peixes -
Dreville79 - 

what it got right was mostly technical. nintendo really, really dialed in depth of field and therefore camera behavior.

they also did an awesome job making the art fit both the capabilities of the machine and the interactability of the environment. that goes hand-in-hand with working out exactly how mario and the other characters moved in space and how you controlled that movement.

masterpiece to be sure, but there were some before it. it was just WAY better. it benefitted a lot from the n64 being just a little younger than satrun and ps1.

i really liked fade to black. it was probably the best effort at a 3d world game before martio64. edit - sequel to the innovative flashback games from the prior console generation

Fade To Black was a damn good game for its time. And there were definitely games like it before it, just like there were survival horrors before Resi.

But Mario 64 was so far ahead of anything that came before, that it simply made any other attempts immediately redundant. And despite tech moving on to the degree that N64 games are often barely playable, Mario 64 is still arguably the pinnacle of 3D platformers all this time on

It fucking saddens me how uninventive Nintendo are now when they used to push things forward like that 

9/24/20 7:26 PM
1/1/01

Dune II!

9/24/20 7:55 PM
1/1/01

Zork, Loom, Doom, OoT, Fire pro Wrestling, WoW

9/24/20 8:40 PM
5/3/01
Dreville79 -
Peixes -
Dreville79 - 

Fade To Black was a damn good game for its time. And there were definitely games like it before it, just like there were survival horrors before Resi.

But Mario 64 was so far ahead of anything that came before, that it simply made any other attempts immediately redundant. And despite tech moving on to the degree that N64 games are often barely playable, Mario 64 is still arguably the pinnacle of 3D platformers all this time on

It fucking saddens me how uninventive Nintendo are now when they used to push things forward like that 

true story! SM64 is pretty much infinitely replayable, too. the act of playing is just so fun!

i remember when i got it in high school my mom, who was like 60 at the time, would just watch me play and coo at "How Cute!" Mario was

that's fkn game design

9/24/20 9:06 PM
5/14/10
Dreville79 - 

I remember when they had it on display at Toys R Us for a while before it went on sale. I must have spent two weeks standing there playing it while all of the smaller kids waited for a turn that would never come. I would say that a large part of it's appeal was in the N64 controller. The 360 analog stick made a HUGE difference and the game wouldn't have been playable without it.