OtherGround Forums Most ridiculous landmark near you?

9/20/20 2:04 PM
4/21/10

I live in Lakewood Colorado,  which is a suburb of Denver. I choose Casa Bonita,  a restaurant shaped like a giant 6 story tall wedding cake that features indoor cliff divers, performances every half hour, a magic show, puppet show, arcade, and as a boy growing up in Colorado, a rite of passage, black barts cave. the place has been there for forever and everyone from Denver has been there but it was made famous in an episode of South Park. 

What oddball landmark is near you?

9/20/20 2:16 PM
5/23/12

A city near me spend 300k to put this up.

In an attempt to rebrand the city, a golden 35-foot-tall steel and aluminum circle was constructed in a median along M-59 near Lakeside Mall (between Art Van Furniture, Old Navy, and a Fuddruckers). The large "icon," which was completed Jan. 17, is meant to enhance Sterling Height, aka "The Golden Corridor," for residents, motorists, and "tourists" alike.

Everyone calls it the golden butthole. 

9/20/20 2:16 PM
11/11/13

Edited: 9/20/20 2:23 PM
7/13/09

Minnesota

World's biggest ball of twine. 

Edited: 9/20/20 2:20 PM
3/16/11
Phuckles -

I live in Lakewood Colorado,  which is a suburb of Denver. I choose Casa Bonita,  a restaurant shaped like a giant 6 story tall wedding cake that features indoor cliff divers, performances every half hour, a magic show, puppet show, arcade, and as a boy growing up in Colorado, a rite of passage, black barts cave. the place has been there for forever and everyone from Denver has been there but it was made famous in an episode of South Park. 

I was supposed to be going to Lakewood to watch a pro motocross race in a couple weeks but covid fucked everything up. The one time I actually get my shit together and plan a trip early, a goddamned global pandemic let’s me know who’s boss. Hopefully next year. 

9/20/20 2:23 PM
4/21/10
Pilgor the goat -
Phuckles -

I was supposed to be going to Lakewood to watch a pro motocross race in a couple weeks but covid fucked everything up. The one time I actually get my shit together and plan a trip early, a goddamned global pandemic let’s me know who’s boss. Hopefully next year. 

Thunder Valley. I am 5 minutes from there. 

9/20/20 2:24 PM
5/23/07
Phuckles - 

holy shit that place is real?

Edited: 9/20/20 2:24 PM
2/19/14

Not ridiculous, really. Kinda cool

9/20/20 2:25 PM
2/4/07

Apparently it's a reference to the slaves being freed. 

9/20/20 2:27 PM
5/23/12

this is just south of detroit

9/20/20 2:30 PM
3/16/11
Phuckles -
Pilgor the goat -
Phuckles -

Yup, from the research I’ve done it’s one of the best tracks on earth for spectating. On a hillside and you can see pretty much see the whole track from the viewing area, plus Denver sounds like a cool city to visit. 

You’re into racing aren’t you? Go check it out. The racing has been crazy this year. Everyone is fresh and injury free from long layoffs due to covid. The top 10 is a crap shoot. Winners from one week are getting 8,9,10th the next, all finishing within seconds of each other. 

9/20/20 2:30 PM
6/30/07
ABCTT_TFK_Mr.Smiff -
Phuckles - 

Its very real

9/20/20 2:31 PM
3/20/15

World's bigget teepee..... I can see it from my deck..

9/20/20 2:35 PM
9/23/14
Casa Bonita! That place is so bad it's good. but still pretty bad, and it's always been that way, and I hope it stays that way!

For Portland it's Voodoo doughnuts. VERY overrated.
9/20/20 2:35 PM
2/4/07
Passive Jay -

I like the razor wire fencing to protect it

9/20/20 2:36 PM
1/12/07

A castle

9/20/20 2:37 PM
4/9/16
Sandy Pantz -
Passive Jay -

I like the razor wire fencing to protect it

Well, it is near Detroit. 

9/20/20 2:37 PM
5/3/01
eubie5 - 

Not ridiculous, really. Kinda cool

i miss our pointless fountain in the ohio river next to the 2nd st bridge. it was lit up purple, if i remember correctly. lol.

it was just so random.

9/20/20 2:38 PM
5/23/07
Mountain Medic - 
ABCTT_TFK_Mr.Smiff -
Phuckles - 

Its very real

damn....i need to go there

9/20/20 2:40 PM
1/1/01
We used to have a pretty big Fred Flintstone
9/20/20 2:41 PM
11/21/05

I live in Central Florida so...I win this competition by default. 

9/20/20 2:41 PM
12/29/03

The Big Chicken

9/20/20 2:42 PM
4/21/10
Pilgor the goat -
Phuckles -
Pilgor the goat -
Phuckles -

Yup, from the research I’ve done it’s one of the best tracks on earth for spectating. On a hillside and you can see pretty much see the whole track from the viewing area, plus Denver sounds like a cool city to visit. 

You’re into racing aren’t you? Go check it out. The racing has been crazy this year. Everyone is fresh and injury free from long layoffs due to covid. The top 10 is a crap shoot. Winners from one week are getting 8,9,10th the next, all finishing within seconds of each other. 

Oh yeah. I've been a few times. I've been with press credentials. Its no better than being a normal spectator. But you are right. The whole track is on the face of a hill so spectators can see pretty much the whole track from the bottom of the hill. I drive by on my commute, you can see the whole track plain as day from the highway. I never knew the track was known as great for spectators but it makes perfect sense. 

9/20/20 2:43 PM
4/21/10
Mountain Medic -
ABCTT_TFK_Mr.Smiff -
Phuckles - 

Its very real

This. People are always shocked to hear its a real place. It is very real. Nationally it's known for South Park, locally its known for its beyond shit food. 

9/20/20 2:43 PM
2/24/19

Beside US Rt. 60 East, Barboursville WV - not real close to me but within an hour. I have a tie - other photo next!