OtherGround Forums My favorite stand up comedians(58)

Edited: 8/23/19 2:34 PM
11/20/09

I should have put a side note as to what the individual comedian's best stand up specials were.  If anyone wants to inquire, just inquire and I'll do my best to give my opinion on what I think their best special is.

Instead of trying to complain why someone isn't on there, or why so and so is on here, I recommend not going that route as this thread isn't intended to be a thread of debate, but a thread to recommend something to make you laugh from someone you might not have ever heard of before.  For example the very first name on the list was recommended by someone from this forum.  I'd never heard of James Acastser but I watched his stand ups and all of them had me laughing throughout.  Find one you haven't heard before instead of complaining yeah?

In alphabetical order-

James Acastser
Dave Allen
Dave Attell
Aziz Ansari
Nate Bargatze   
Carl Barron
Todd Barry

Mike Birbiglia
Alonzo Bodden
Neal Brennan
Hannibal Buress
Bo Burnham

Bill Burr

Jerrod Carmichael
Jimmy Carr
Dave Chapelle
Louis CK
Deon Cole
Whitney Cummings
Pete Davidson
Mike Epps
Mitch Fatal
Jim Gaffigan
Donald Glover
Gary Gulman

Kevin Hart  
Mitch Hedburg
Corey Holcomb
Gabriel Iglesias
Jim Jefferies
Anthony Jeselnik
Anjelah Johnson
Myq Kaplan
Sebastian Maniscalco
Marc Maron
Demetri Martin
Ralphie May
Tracey Morgan
John Mulaney
Morgan Murphy
Jim Norton
Patrice O'neal
Patton Oswalt

Chris Porter
Joe Rogan

Jeff Ross
Bob Saget
Amy Schumer
Nick Swardson
Tom Segura
Sarah Silverman
Sinbad
Sklar (brothers)
Christopher Titus
Daniel Tosh
Nick Thune
Tim Vine
Katt Williams
Taylor Williamson
Ali Wong

Steven Wright
Ramy Youssef

8/22/19 2:42 PM
11/20/09

I have no idea why there's a gap between Gary Gulman and Kevin Hart.

Anyways, Angelos Epithemiou is someone I removed from the list for a couple reasons.  #1 he's not your typical stand up comedian.  He has a lot of skits and props.  The #2 reason is I tried to find his comedy special Angelos and friends live, is damn near impossible to find.  If anyone can find it, please link it as I have been trying to find it for years.  I saw it many years ago and was so surprised how funny he was but I can't find working links for it anymore.

8/22/19 2:44 PM
11/20/09

Dave Allen is another one who isn't stand up.  He's dead and not well known.  He was very edgy for his time but if you watch some of his skits on youtube, I bet you'll find yourself laughing your ass off especially on the religious ones lol.

8/22/19 2:45 PM
7/26/07
You have 58 favorite comedians?
8/22/19 2:46 PM
7/29/13

Bert k. is funnier than some you named. He's not great but better than some

8/22/19 2:48 PM
1/1/01

"but I doubt there will be a solid comedian I'm missing but that's something I'd be happy discover"

Doug Stanhope

8/22/19 2:50 PM
7/29/13
BJ Penn Forever -

"but I doubt there will be a solid comedian I'm missing but that's something I'd be happy discover"

Doug Stanhope

This

8/22/19 2:51 PM
1/1/01

You left Stanhope, Pryor, Giraldo and Kinison off your list... that is amazing that you have that many favorites and those four GOATS are not on the list. At least you have Attell and O'Neal.

8/22/19 2:52 PM
7/29/13

Martin Lawrence. you so crazy and run tell that are classic specials. This list is garbage.

8/22/19 2:53 PM
4/13/12
Chimonos Revenge - You have 58 favorite comedians?

...and richard prior, red fox, eddie murphy, bill cosby, and george carlin aren't on the list.

8/22/19 2:55 PM
11/20/09

Todd Barry-Barely made the list. 

Neal Brennan-First special absolutely hilarious.  2nd special, I feel he should have paid the audience to listen to his problems as if the audience was a therapist.  So disappointing.

Bo Burnham-Not a big fan but he is clever and has some witty jokes. Not a big fan of musical instruments during stand up.

Deon Cole-Not super famous but his stand ups are super funny.  Check him out.

Whitney Cummings-barely made the list.  Actually when I saw she was on it I was a bit surprised myself. Maybe this was a mistake, or maybe she had a good stand up I watched which is maybe why I added her.

Pete Davidson-He only has his SMD stand up but it's hilarious. Check it out if you haven't.

Gary Gulman-Honestly I wasn't a fan the first time I watched him.  I gave him another shot and actually laughed.  It might be a life experience thing, who knows.

Kevin Hart-I'm actually not a big fan of his comedy.  Most of it is story telling and pandering to the audience but his enthusiasm is contagious and he does have some funny aspects to his stand ups.

Corey Holcomb-Savage.  Why this guy isn't on every comedy central roast is beyond me.  He might be an acquired taste.  In my opinion it's hard to be a black comedian and have material that reaches a wide audience, especially if a lot of your material is on the ghetto side, but he is a master at drawing you in and making you laugh begrudingly.  

Myq Kaplan-I only saw one special of his but he was funny.

Marc Maron-barely made the cut.  Also was surprised I added him, but maybe one of his specials was better than the other. 

Ralphie May-He was much funnier to me when I was younger.  I tried re-watching his stand ups and I was not as impressed as I remember.

Tracey Morgan-Same review as Cory Holcomb.  Tracy highly underrated as a stand up comedian and his delivery is also highly underrated.

Patton Oswalt-He has a few stand ups out, but only one of them is decent.

Bob Saget-If you've never seen his stand up, you will be surprised.  He is vulgar as fuck.  He's not that funny but he does have some funny lines and bits to make the cut.

Sinbad-Acquired taste.  You probably have to be 35+ to enjoy his comedy. (Back in my day...)

Edited: 8/22/19 3:04 PM
2/5/06
You have Bo Burnham ....but not Stephen Lynch. Steven is far better than Bo.

Plus they aren't really "stand up" guys but more musical comedy guys.

Amy Schumer?!?....are you actually trying to be serious with this list?

No George Carlin, Bill Hicks or Bill Burr?....I guess that answers my question

*edit I have no idea why I spelled stephen two different ways
8/22/19 2:56 PM
1/1/01

I bet Pryor, Carlin, Giraldo, Kinison, May, and O'Neal are up in heaven right now laughing their asses off that Rogan, Sinbad, and Wong made the list while several of them did not.

8/22/19 2:57 PM
7/29/13

Todd glass. There are so many not on the list

8/22/19 2:58 PM
11/20/09

Jimmy Carr
Dave Chapelle
Louis CK

Anthony Jeselnik

Demetri Martin

Steven Wright

These are my favorite.  Steven Wright, Jimmy Carr, and Demetri Martin probably being my 3 favorite with Jeselnik up there as well.

8/22/19 2:58 PM
11/20/09
MojoSoDope - 

That's fair.  You're right.  I could probably have put him in instead of 3-4 I did.

Him doing stand up without a shirt is kinda off putting though, you agree?

8/22/19 3:00 PM
11/20/09
BJ Penn Forever - 

Doug Stanhope

I've seen him before.  He seems more like he complains than tells jokes.  Like it's observational humor but instead of humor it's just complaining.  

Do you recall a bit he has off the top of your head?(don't cheat by looking it up, if you remember, tell me if not, that might prove my point)

8/22/19 3:02 PM
11/20/09
BJ Penn Forever - 

You left Stanhope, Pryor, Giraldo and Kinison off your list... that is amazing that you have that many favorites and those four GOATS are not on the list. At least you have Attell and O'Neal.

Prior could/should be on there.  I think I left him off b/c he's been dead for so long and I've seen his stand ups many times.  

Okay my biggest fuck up though, you called it, Greg Giraldo.  How I didn't put him on there is a head scracther.  I mean I know firsthand I recently went through a whole bunch of the comedy central roast and even took a break to watch his stand up.  Shame on me for this, but props to you for finding the one I strongly agree should be on.

Kinison though?  How funny is the yelling and complaining?  Do you recall a bit from him off the top of your head or are you like me and just remember him screaming "oh oh ooooohhhhhh"?

8/22/19 3:03 PM
7/29/13
D241 -
MojoSoDope - 

That's fair.  You're right.  I could probably have put him in instead of 3-4 I did.

Him doing stand up without a shirt is kinda off putting though, you agree?

Hes definitely not easy on the eyes but Bert has his shirt off everywhere else anyway so you get used to it

8/22/19 3:04 PM
11/20/09
MojoSoDope - 

Martin Lawrence. you so crazy and run tell that are classic specials. This list is garbage.

In my opinion his stand up is so lame.  It comes off more like he's pandering to the audience rather than telling cleverl one liners or storys/antidotes.

You can call my list garbage but what you're failing to see, is I'm trying to provide a thread that has some stand up comedians many of you might not have heard about.  If you're anything like me, you love a solid new stand up routine.  Well, I have 58 comedians, hopefully there's a few you can at least laugh instead of harping on the few you disagree.  

Also, I don't OG often but I don't recall ever seeing your thorough list of comedians, do you care to link me with that?

8/22/19 3:06 PM
7/29/13
D241 -
MojoSoDope - 

In my opinion his stand up is so lame.  It comes off more like he's pandering to the audience rather than telling cleverl one liners or storys/antidotes.

You can call my list garbage but what you're failing to see, is I'm trying to provide a thread that has some stand up comedians many of you might not have heard about.  If you're anything like me, you love a solid new stand up routine.  Well, I have 58 comedians, hopefully there's a few you can at least laugh instead of harping on the few you disagree.  

Also, I don't OG often but I don't recall ever seeing your thorough list of comedians, do you care to link me with that?

I take back the garbage part. My apologies

8/22/19 3:08 PM
11/20/09
EFM - 
Chimonos Revenge - You have 58 favorite comedians?

...and richard prior, red fox, eddie murphy, bill cosby, and george carlin aren't on the list.

Cosby could be on the list but it was hard to include him with him being in jail for all those rapes and stuff, I'm sure you understand that.

George Carlin, I hope you're not like me and that you can still enjoy his comedy.  There was a time in my life where I suggested he was my #1 favorite comedian, no bs.  I used his numerous stand ups as one of my lines of logic, b/c he DID put out a lot of stand ups. 

But when I re-watch them over the years, I notice it's more and more political and not that funny.  I have realized something about myself in that many years ago comedians who spoke a lot on their political stances, I thought were funny because I agreed with their logic, but over time when I re-watch it and know I'm watching for the purpose of comedy, I wasn't entertained listening to something I agreed with b/c there was little funny in the message.

8/22/19 3:09 PM
1/1/01
D241 -
BJ Penn Forever - 

Doug Stanhope

I've seen him before.  He seems more like he complains than tells jokes.  Like it's observational humor but instead of humor it's just complaining.  

Do you recall a bit he has off the top of your head?(don't cheat by looking it up, if you remember, tell me if not, that might prove my point)

Stanhope has tons of bits and jokes... not just complaining at all. Do you remember what special of his you saw that turned you off so much? Give a different special of his a chance some day, he is worth a second look.

8/22/19 3:09 PM
11/20/09
MojoSoDope - 

Todd glass. There are so many not on the list

Ok that's a fair one.  To me he's kind of bland, but he does have some solid bits in his comedy stand ups to where if I'm going to put some of these people on my list like Whitney Cummings, then Todd Glass should be on there as well.  If I was to re-do the list I'd either include him and take other's off, or just not include him but take other's off. 

He's funny, just not that funny to me.

8/22/19 3:10 PM
1/1/01
D241 -
BJ Penn Forever - 

Prior could/should be on there.  I think I left him off b/c he's been dead for so long and I've seen his stand ups many times.  

Okay my biggest fuck up though, you called it, Greg Giraldo.  How I didn't put him on there is a head scracther.  I mean I know firsthand I recently went through a whole bunch of the comedy central roast and even took a break to watch his stand up.  Shame on me for this, but props to you for finding the one I strongly agree should be on.

Kinison though?  How funny is the yelling and complaining?  Do you recall a bit from him off the top of your head or are you like me and just remember him screaming "oh oh ooooohhhhhh"?

You can't advocate Rogan and Sinbad and trash Kinison bro... ok you can but its crazy.