OtherGround Forums My favorite stand up comedians(58)

26 days ago
11/20/09
BJ Penn Forever - 
D241 -
BJ Penn Forever - 

"but I doubt there will be a solid comedian I'm missing but that's something I'd be happy discover"

Doug Stanhope

I've seen him before.  He seems more like he complains than tells jokes.  Like it's observational humor but instead of humor it's just complaining.  

Do you recall a bit he has off the top of your head?(don't cheat by looking it up, if you remember, tell me if not, that might prove my point)

Stanhope has tons of bits and jokes... not just complaining at all. Do you remember what special of his you saw that turned you off so much? Give a different special of his a chance some day, he is worth a second look.

Out of respect to you and others, I'm going to give him another try.  I like laughing.  That being said, just tell me the one I should watch b/c if he has 5 stand ups and the one I watch is what you would say is the worst of the group, I'd rather watch the one you say is his best work so that way if I stilll don't like it, I know not to watch his others.  But if it is good, then I can not only add him to my list but watch other stand ups of his as well.

26 days ago
11/20/09
BJ Penn Forever - 
D241 -
BJ Penn Forever - 

You left Stanhope, Pryor, Giraldo and Kinison off your list... that is amazing that you have that many favorites and those four GOATS are not on the list. At least you have Attell and O'Neal.

Prior could/should be on there.  I think I left him off b/c he's been dead for so long and I've seen his stand ups many times.  

Okay my biggest fuck up though, you called it, Greg Giraldo.  How I didn't put him on there is a head scracther.  I mean I know firsthand I recently went through a whole bunch of the comedy central roast and even took a break to watch his stand up.  Shame on me for this, but props to you for finding the one I strongly agree should be on.

Kinison though?  How funny is the yelling and complaining?  Do you recall a bit from him off the top of your head or are you like me and just remember him screaming "oh oh ooooohhhhhh"?

You can't advocate Rogan and Sinbad and trash Kinison bro... ok you can but its crazy.

Rogan is funny as fuck, but if you made that same statement and just took out Rogan, yeah, you do have a point lol

26 days ago
7/29/13
D241 -
MojoSoDope - 

Todd glass. There are so many not on the list

Ok that's a fair one.  To me he's kind of bland, but he does have some solid bits in his comedy stand ups to where if I'm going to put some of these people on my list like Whitney Cummings, then Todd Glass should be on there as well.  If I was to re-do the list I'd either include him and take other's off, or just not include him but take other's off. 

He's funny, just not that funny to me.

I think Todd glass is just a naturally very funny person. He is funnier just being himself and talking on stage than he is putting together jokes. He has some good sketches as well

26 days ago
11/20/09

I do believe I saw Todd Glass participate in one of those comedy roast battles and if I'm correct, he did a good job.

26 days ago
7/29/13
D241 -

I do believe I saw Todd Glass participate in one of those comedy roast battles and if I'm correct, he did a good job.

That seems right up his alley. 

26 days ago
11/20/09

Well we had all the complainers get their complaints out(I'm sure there are still complainers yet to have seen this thread and complain on it), but where are the post telling me a comedian you never heard of that you're going to give it a try?

It would be awesome if fellow comedy lovers found a new name on this list, gave them a try and came back to report they were laughing throughout.  That'd be awesome!

26 days ago
8/18/13

James Acasters Repertoire is the best Stand Up of the decade, he’s a fucking genius 

26 days ago
7/29/13
D241 -

Well we had all the complainers get their complaints out(I'm sure there are still complainers yet to have seen this thread and complain on it), but where are the post telling me a comedian you never heard of that you're going to give it a try?

It would be awesome if fellow comedy lovers found a new name on this list, gave them a try and came back to report they were laughing throughout.  That'd be awesome!

You asked for that when you said you doubt anyone can name a good comic you forgot then edited your op so it's not in there anymore. Don't be like that. You kind of challenged people. 

26 days ago
6/3/18

Sam Kinison, Dana Gould, Robin Williams, Joey Diaz, Bert Kreischer, Steve McGrew, Bobby Slayton, Bobby Collins, Andrew Kennedy, Derek Richards, Cedric the Entertainer, Lavell Crawford, Mario Joyner, George Lopez, Brad Garrett, Danny Bevins, Dave Landau, Andrew Schulz, Matt McClowery, Jon Reep, bill bushart and many many others that are killers. Go to your local Club and check it out it is worth it. It is like music you won't be into everything but most good clubs we'll have a very good batting average. If you go to your local bars comedy night you can bump into all of these guys when they were up-and-comers. You will get some crazy people but most of them are very good and it is not very expensive.

26 days ago
1/1/01
MojoSoDope -
D241 -

You asked for that when you said you doubt anyone can name a good comic you forgot then edited your op so it's not in there anymore. Don't be like that. You kind of challenged people. 

26 days ago
1/1/01

Kyle Kinane is the best stand up going. Any list without him is incomplete, IMO

26 days ago
2/3/09

Most of mine would include names already mentioned in this thread. However, I would have to add Norm Macdonald to the list too, as I haven't seen him mentioned anywhere yet.

26 days ago
5/27/11

I think it's important to recommend which special to watch. Even with some of the best comics they can be hit or miss.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

26 days ago
11/20/09
Dreville79 - 

James Acasters Repertoire is the best Stand Up of the decade, he’s a fucking genius 

I am fairly certain it was you who suggested this.  Do you recall mentioning him in the last 2-3 months?

If so, THANKS man.  He had like 3-4 of them that seemed like part of a similar set but they were all solid.  Very fresh.  What's great is I've only seen each one, one time so there is lots of replay value with him, which is Awesome! I hope he puts out a solid career of stand ups as he's young and already good, like Pete Davidson. (But James has 4 where as Pete has 1)

26 days ago
11/20/09
Half speed - 

Sam Kinison, Dana Gould, Robin Williams, Joey Diaz, Bert Kreischer, Steve McGrew, Bobby Slayton, Bobby Collins, Andrew Kennedy, Derek Richards, Cedric the Entertainer, Lavell Crawford, Mario Joyner, George Lopez, Brad Garrett, Danny Bevins, Dave Landau, Andrew Schulz, Matt McClowery, Jon Reep, bill bushart and many many others that are killers. Go to your local Club and check it out it is worth it. It is like music you won't be into everything but most good clubs we'll have a very good batting average. If you go to your local bars comedy night you can bump into all of these guys when they were up-and-comers. You will get some crazy people but most of them are very good and it is not very expensive.

I am very thankful for your post Half speed!  Steve McGrew, Bobby Slayton, Bobby Collins, Andrew Kennedy, Derek Richards, Mario Joyner, Brad Garret(is he the midget), Danny Bevins, DAve Landau, Andrew Schulz, Matt mcClowery, Jon reep, Bill Bushart are all names I have never heard of and I assure you I will try to find all of their stand up specials.  Even if only one of that bunch is good, this is a great post.   Thanks for your contribution.

Before I get to any of these if you care to tell me of the ones mentioned here, who do you recommend the most?

Also, Lavell Crawford's older stuff was good, he's a good mention.  I watched his most recent one and it was horrible though.

26 days ago
11/20/09
grizz632 - 

Kyle Kinane is the best stand up going. Any list without him is incomplete, IMO

Ah, I knew I was forgetting someone and he was the one on the tip of my brain.

Shame on me, and shame on everyone else who saw my list and somehow missed that Bill Burr wasn't listed.  DUH.  He's one of my favorites.

26 days ago
11/20/09
Flyerfan - 

Most of mine would include names already mentioned in this thread. However, I would have to add Norm Macdonald to the list too, as I haven't seen him mentioned anywhere yet.

Again, shame on me.  He's someone I originally thought was very dull and boring, but then after watching several stand up comedians and then giving him another shot, I was pleasantly surprised how entertained I was.  The one "Hitler's Dog" is not only my favorite one of his, but one of my all time favorites.

Trust me, me leaving him out was not intentional.  Total fuck up on my part but thanks for mentioning him, as he's definitely better than most of the ones I listed.

26 days ago
11/20/09
DirtyTrevorUK - 

I think it's important to recommend which special to watch. Even with some of the best comics they can be hit or miss.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

I totally agree but when I started this list, it was only for myself so when I want to watch a stand up I haven't seen in a while, I could have a list to go to and I would know which ones are good.

Once I realized the list was so long and others might be interested to check some out, it was too long for me to go back and list the specials.  Again, if you're curious about anyone, let me know and I'll be happy to give my .02.

For example Neal Brennan's first stand up is great, his 2nd one is trash.  If you liked Dave Chapelle's comedy from his sketch show, you'll love this special.  Neal was one of the main writes for the Chappelle show.

He talked about meeting Obama and Mrs. Obama and Michelle Obama said "We were so sad when the show went off air", and Neal replied "How do you think I felt" lol

26 days ago
11/20/09

By the way, if any of you enjoyed the Chappelle skit show, I would say that Demetri Martin's skit show is like a white people's version of that. 

Chappelle show was more edgy, but both are really good comedy skit shows.

If anyone needs any links to any comedy special, just let me know.

26 days ago
11/20/09

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/mdku69/important-things-with-demetri-martin-lines---breakup-lines

26 days ago
2/27/08

I don't have 58 favourite anything.

26 days ago
1/1/01

In

26 days ago
9/13/11

Andrew Schulz shits on that entire list.

26 days ago
6/20/11

What a ridiculous list

26 days ago
1/1/01

Lol@ not asking for a debate on the OG.