OtherGround Forums My favorite stand up comedians(58)

30 days ago
10/4/18
LOL! That's a shit list. No Stanhope??? Holy shit.
30 days ago
11/20/09
BJ Penn Forever - 
MojoSoDope -
D241 -

Well we had all the complainers get their complaints out(I'm sure there are still complainers yet to have seen this thread and complain on it), but where are the post telling me a comedian you never heard of that you're going to give it a try?

It would be awesome if fellow comedy lovers found a new name on this list, gave them a try and came back to report they were laughing throughout.  That'd be awesome!

You asked for that when you said you doubt anyone can name a good comic you forgot then edited your op so it's not in there anymore. Don't be like that. You kind of challenged people. 

What I want is for this to be a positive thread where as many of us can find a new comedian so that this thread can provide laughs.  

MojoSoDope - 

Martin Lawrence. you so crazy and run tell that are classic specials. This list is garbage.

BJ Penn Forever - 

I bet Pryor, Carlin, Giraldo, Kinison, May, and O'Neal are up in heaven right now laughing their asses off that Rogan, Sinbad, and Wong made the list while several of them did not.

Two examples of not to make a suggestion^^^^

BJ Penn Forever - 

"but I doubt there will be a solid comedian I'm missing but that's something I'd be happy discover"

Doug Stanhope

^^A good example of how to make a suggestion^^

Half speed - 

Sam Kinison, Dana Gould, Robin Williams, Joey Diaz, Bert Kreischer, Steve McGrew, Bobby Slayton, Bobby Collins, Andrew Kennedy, Derek Richards, Cedric the Entertainer, Lavell Crawford, Mario Joyner, George Lopez, Brad Garrett, Danny Bevins, Dave Landau, Andrew Schulz, Matt McClowery, Jon Reep, bill bushart and many many others that are killers. Go to your local Club and check it out it is worth it. It is like music you won't be into everything but most good clubs we'll have a very good batting average. If you go to your local bars comedy night you can bump into all of these guys when they were up-and-comers. You will get some crazy people but most of them are very good and it is not very expensive.

^^^^The BEST way to make a suggestion^^

To be fair I didn't see Mojo's apology before I made this post.  If you think there's any UG/OGer who could compose a list of roughly 60 comedians, and you would not find something to nitpick about, you're not being realistic. 

I know as a fan of comedy, if there's a list of 60 comedians, I'm checking it out not to see who's not on the list, but to see who is on the list that I might not have heard of.

30 days ago
11/20/09

Not one example of a Doug Stanahope joke or one comedy special?

You just want to complain. Probably why you're a Stanahope fan :)

30 days ago
11/20/09
NiteProwleR - 

Lol@ not asking for a debate on the OG. 

Who in their right mind would expect to agree with 60 of something?

Do you think if a few thousand OGers posted 60 of their favorite comedians, you would find many that you agree with all 60?

People trying to be negative on a literal comedy thread, the irony....

30 days ago
11/20/09
CaptainWoody - You have Bo Burnham ....but not Stephen Lynch. Steven is far better than Bo.

Plus they aren't really "stand up" guys but more musical comedy guys.

Amy Schumer?!?....are you actually trying to be serious with this list?

No George Carlin, Bill Hicks or Bill Burr?....I guess that answers my question

*edit I have no idea why I spelled stephen two different ways

Somehow I missed this post.  Bill Burr is a total "DUH" move on my part.  I think as I was making this list every now and again I'd watch one of his specials(i've seen them all multiple times) and it was just a given he'd be on my list, but I never added him.  My bad.

Have you seen all of Amy Schumer's stand up specials as well as comedy roast?  Her Leather Special was crap but in my opinion several of her earlier stand ups were quite funny.

Bill Hicks is someone who also comes off as complaining and did a lot of political talk in his stand ups.  Not a fan but I admire how often he did stand up and the work he put in. 

30 days ago
1/1/01
D241 -

Not one example of a Doug Stanahope joke or one comedy special?

You just want to complain. Probably why you're a Stanahope fan :)

I was just busting your balls when I mentioned comics I like that were not on your list. Nothing negative or malicious about it.

Here are some standup specials you might like:

Something to take the edge off

From Across the Street

Beer Hall Putsch

Deadbeat Hero

Die Laughing

He is not for everyone as evidenced by the fact he lives in the dessert, drinking himself to death when not touring so if ya don't like him, ya don't like him.

30 days ago
1/1/01

30 days ago
1/1/01

30 days ago
1/1/01

30 days ago
1/1/01

30 days ago
10/21/10

Emo Phillips hasnt been mentioned, he’d be in my top 58. 

30 days ago
11/20/09

Out of the 60 comedians mentioned, is Doug Stanahope your #1 favorite?

30 days ago
1/7/04
Brian Reagen smashes 75% of that list
30 days ago
11/20/09
Greaseweiner - Brian Reagen smashes 75% of that list

Who are your other 59 recommendations that maybe I could critique?

30 days ago
1/1/01
D241 -

Out of the 60 comedians mentioned, is Doug Stanahope your #1 favorite?

No, I just posted a bunch of his sets you might like because you asked for suggestions.

Don't really have a favorite, Stanhope, Pryor, Giraldo, O'Neal, and Attell are my top five all-time GOATs if I had to pick five.

30 days ago
8/18/13
D241 -
Dreville79 - 

James Acasters Repertoire is the best Stand Up of the decade, he’s a fucking genius 

I am fairly certain it was you who suggested this.  Do you recall mentioning him in the last 2-3 months?

If so, THANKS man.  He had like 3-4 of them that seemed like part of a similar set but they were all solid.  Very fresh.  What's great is I've only seen each one, one time so there is lots of replay value with him, which is Awesome! I hope he puts out a solid career of stand ups as he's young and already good, like Pete Davidson. (But James has 4 where as Pete has 1)

It probably was, most people outside the UK haven’t heard of him and I’m not sure a lot would get him, he’s VERY British and quite eccentric to say the least. I could watch his bits like the Conga and his story about Jury Duty over and over, so good. If you like his style check out Paul Foot too, he’s one of Englands greatest club comedians 

Oh and look on YouTube for James Acasters Classic Scrapes, there’s tons of stuff of his out there to listen to 

30 days ago
12/8/14

Theo Von and Chris Porter should be on the list. 

30 days ago
11/20/09
Dreville79 - 
D241 -
Dreville79 - 

James Acasters Repertoire is the best Stand Up of the decade, he’s a fucking genius 

I am fairly certain it was you who suggested this.  Do you recall mentioning him in the last 2-3 months?

If so, THANKS man.  He had like 3-4 of them that seemed like part of a similar set but they were all solid.  Very fresh.  What's great is I've only seen each one, one time so there is lots of replay value with him, which is Awesome! I hope he puts out a solid career of stand ups as he's young and already good, like Pete Davidson. (But James has 4 where as Pete has 1)

It probably was, most people outside the UK haven’t heard of him and I’m not sure a lot would get him, he’s VERY British and quite eccentric to say the least. I could watch his bits like the Conga and his story about Jury Duty over and over, so good. If you like his style check out Paul Foot too, he’s one of Englands greatest club comedians 

Oh and look on YouTube for James Acasters Classic Scrapes, there’s tons of stuff of his out there to listen to 

Thanks for the recommendations.

Both of my kids are 1/2 british.  I've been to England two times, and my interactions with English people is that they aren't as outgoing/colorful/funny as what I'm used to here in America, yet some of my favorite comedians are British.  Go figure.  

I'm going to give Doug Stanahope another try.  I want to enjoy as many comedians as I can, trust me.  I'm hoping it will be another case of Jim Gaffigan, Bill Burr, and Jimmy Carr as originally I wasn't crazy about their stand up at first, but after giving them a 2nd chance over time, they grew to be some of my favorite.  It could be an age thing as well.

30 days ago
11/20/09
OJTT-RayRay - 

Theo Von and Chris Porter should be on the list. 

No on Theo for me, but Chris Porter would be a yes.  At least his Ugly and Angry special was enjoyable.  I'm going to add him to my list, thanks for the recommendation.

30 days ago
8/18/13
D241 -
Dreville79 - 
D241 -
Dreville79 - 

Both of my kids are 1/2 british.  I've been to England two times, and my interactions with English people is that they aren't as outgoing/colorful/funny as what I'm used to here in America, yet some of my favorite comedians are British.  Go figure.  

I'm going to give Doug Stanahope another try.  I want to enjoy as many comedians as I can, trust me.  I'm hoping it will be another case of Jim Gaffigan, Bill Burr, and Jimmy Carr as originally I wasn't crazy about their stand up at first, but after giving them a 2nd chance over time, they grew to be some of my favorite.  It could be an age thing as well.

A little sample of Foot, always thought he’d make a great Dr Who

30 days ago
11/20/09
BJ Penn Forever - 

Dude, I am TRYING, but it's just not clicking for me. 

How does he not come off as just complaining over being funny?  I am 2 and a half minutes into his opening act and while he might be agreeable, I just don't see what's so funny that you're so adamant about.

Could you watch this stand up again and tell me what part was really funny to you?  Time stamp it b/c again, I'm trying but I'm just not getting it.

30 days ago
11/20/09
Dreville79 - 
D241 -
Dreville79 - 
D241 -
Dreville79 - 

See, this guy I can tell I'd be more apt to give him a listen than giving Doug Stanhope a 3rd/4th attempt.  While I didn't think this bit was that funny, right away this guy is jovial and his whole demeanor/posture just makes it seem more comedian like.  

Doug Stanhope looks to complain about shit and try to make it funny, where as most comedians just try to make stuff funny.

30 days ago
8/18/13
D241 -
Dreville79 - 
D241 -
Dreville79 - 
D241 -
Dreville79 - 

See, this guy I can tell I'd be more apt to give him a listen than giving Doug Stanhope a 3rd/4th attempt.  While I didn't think this bit was that funny, right away this guy is jovial and his whole demeanor/posture just makes it seem more comedian like.  

Doug Stanhope looks to complain about shit and try to make it funny, where as most comedians just try to make stuff funny.

I’m the same, I can usually tell within two minutes of a comedian being on stage whether I’m gonna continue watching or not. If Stanhope is the guy I’m thinking of he’s a mediocre at best George Carlin wannabe, I’ll check later 

30 days ago
11/20/09

I'd say that's a very good analogy.  And I'm not a fan of Carlin anymore, at least not like I was.

29 days ago
7/8/13

No Stanhope is insanity