OtherGround Forums My favorite stand up comedians(58)

8/23/19 5:30 PM
7/8/13

Stanhope doesn't complain about shit, he calls it out for what it really is, and then makes it funny.

8/23/19 5:48 PM
10/8/07

Amy Schumer is god awful. You might as well have put Dane Cook or Brendan Schaub on your list.

8/23/19 6:19 PM
11/20/09
spjackson77 - 

Stanhope doesn't complain about shit, he calls it out for what it really is, and then makes it funny.

HOW?

Are you not reading the thread?

It's not like Doug doesn't have a lot of material.  Can you find ONE example of something he said that you think is funny, that you think I and everyone should think is funny?

I'm asking for ONE example.  

8/23/19 6:21 PM
11/20/09
The Destroyer88 - 

Amy Schumer is god awful. You might as well have put Dane Cook or Brendan Schaub on your list.

Those two suck, but Amy is better than average and I find her funnier than most of the people on my list.

Let me guess, you probably paid attention to something Amy Schumer related that had nothing to do with her comedy or her being funny, and are basing your opinions of her comedy off of some stupid political view she has.  Am I right?

Comedians are not politicians people.  Their views on politics should have absolute ZERO weight in them. 

8/23/19 6:33 PM
10/8/07
D241 -
The Destroyer88 - 

Those two suck, but Amy is better than average and I find her funnier than most of the people on my list.

Let me guess, you probably paid attention to something Amy Schumer related that had nothing to do with her comedy or her being funny, and are basing your opinions of her comedy off of some stupid political view she has.  Am I right?

Comedians are not politicians people.  Their views on politics should have absolute ZERO weight in them. 

I couldn't care less about her political views or whatever you're going on about and she's a joke theif, which puts her below the Brendan Schaubs of the comedy world.

8/23/19 6:35 PM
6/3/18
D241 -
Half speed - 

Sam Kinison, Dana Gould, Robin Williams, Joey Diaz, Bert Kreischer, Steve McGrew, Bobby Slayton, Bobby Collins, Andrew Kennedy, Derek Richards, Cedric the Entertainer, Lavell Crawford, Mario Joyner, George Lopez, Brad Garrett, Danny Bevins, Dave Landau, Andrew Schulz, Matt McClowery, Jon Reep, bill bushart and many many others that are killers. Go to your local Club and check it out it is worth it. It is like music you won't be into everything but most good clubs we'll have a very good batting average. If you go to your local bars comedy night you can bump into all of these guys when they were up-and-comers. You will get some crazy people but most of them are very good and it is not very expensive.

I am very thankful for your post Half speed!  Steve McGrew, Bobby Slayton, Bobby Collins, Andrew Kennedy, Derek Richards, Mario Joyner, Brad Garret(is he the midget), Danny Bevins, DAve Landau, Andrew Schulz, Matt mcClowery, Jon reep, Bill Bushart are all names I have never heard of and I assure you I will try to find all of their stand up specials.  Even if only one of that bunch is good, this is a great post.   Thanks for your contribution.

Before I get to any of these if you care to tell me of the ones mentioned here, who do you recommend the most?

Also, Lavell Crawford's older stuff was good, he's a good mention.  I watched his most recent one and it was horrible though.

Andrew Schultz is getting a huge push right now and he's funny. All the rest of them are very funny some of them are Regional some of them are national. And each one really depends on your mood. Comedians Acts change as their life changes. Jeff Dunham got bitter after all of his hard work half of it went away in his divorce. Stanhope is good his earlier stuff is happy later his mom died and coke was his friend and he knows he will never be main stream sitcom and he doesn't want it. Life is a little less interesting when you've seen it all. Auggie Smith murders crowds. Comedy is weird where anyone can have a good day or a bad day. Its weird a joke can work 100 times in a row and for no reason fail badly. Its like music sometimes you are in the mood for one thing and sometimes not. It would be hard to say I would listen to just one or 5 songs or even bands forever. Limpbiscut opened for DMX times change.

8/23/19 6:44 PM
9/17/11
Greaseweiner - Brian Reagen smashes 75% of that list

I’m unfamiliar with 90% of the mentioned comedians but i do really like brian reagan

8/23/19 7:04 PM
1/2/07
D241 -

Jimmy Carr
Dave Chapelle
Louis CK

Anthony Jeselnik

Demetri Martin

Steven Wright

These are my favorite.  Steven Wright, Jimmy Carr, and Demetri Martin probably being my 3 favorite with Jeselnik up there as well.

If you like Jimmy Carr isnt it hard to listen to Anthony Jes... do the same humo(u)r at 1/20th speed. 

8/23/19 7:05 PM
11/16/17

No carlin......wow

8/23/19 7:12 PM
11/20/09
The Destroyer88 - 
D241 -
The Destroyer88 - 

I couldn't care less about her political views or whatever you're going on about and she's a joke theif, which puts her below the Brendan Schaubs of the comedy world.

I was really glad over the past few months you catalogged stand up comedies you enjoyed, and created a list so that many of us could perhaps find a new comedian we enjoy.  The fact that you did this instead of just bitching like everyone else makes you stand out.

Except that's not the case, and you're no better than all these other unappreciate assholes who focus on negative instead of positive.  No wonder so many people's taste in humor is shit. 

Thanks for your contributions though!

8/23/19 7:25 PM
10/8/07
D241 -
The Destroyer88 - 
D241 -
The Destroyer88 - 

I was really glad over the past few months you catalogged stand up comedies you enjoyed, and created a list so that many of us could perhaps find a new comedian we enjoy.  The fact that you did this instead of just bitching like everyone else makes you stand out.

Except that's not the case, and you're no better than all these other unappreciate assholes who focus on negative instead of positive.  No wonder so many people's taste in humor is shit. 

Why are you getting so defensive over me pointing out that Amy is a joke theif? I'm not shitting on your list I'm just saying she's not funny, even with other people's material.

8/23/19 7:26 PM
11/20/09
EnderinAK - 
D241 -

Jimmy Carr
Dave Chapelle
Louis CK

Anthony Jeselnik

Demetri Martin

Steven Wright

These are my favorite.  Steven Wright, Jimmy Carr, and Demetri Martin probably being my 3 favorite with Jeselnik up there as well.

If you like Jimmy Carr isnt it hard to listen to Anthony Jes... do the same humo(u)r at 1/20th speed. 

No it's not, but that is a good/accurate observation.  Two totally different styles and deliveries.

Although Jimmy Carr's short joke-

"The problem with pedophiles?  Sexy children" is along the lines of Anthony's type of dark humor. But totally different styles/deliveries.

8/23/19 7:28 PM
11/20/09
Half speed - 
D241 -
Half speed - 

Sam Kinison, Dana Gould, Robin Williams, Joey Diaz, Bert Kreischer, Steve McGrew, Bobby Slayton, Bobby Collins, Andrew Kennedy, Derek Richards, Cedric the Entertainer, Lavell Crawford, Mario Joyner, George Lopez, Brad Garrett, Danny Bevins, Dave Landau, Andrew Schulz, Matt McClowery, Jon Reep, bill bushart and many many others that are killers. Go to your local Club and check it out it is worth it. It is like music you won't be into everything but most good clubs we'll have a very good batting average. If you go to your local bars comedy night you can bump into all of these guys when they were up-and-comers. You will get some crazy people but most of them are very good and it is not very expensive.

I am very thankful for your post Half speed!  Steve McGrew, Bobby Slayton, Bobby Collins, Andrew Kennedy, Derek Richards, Mario Joyner, Brad Garret(is he the midget), Danny Bevins, DAve Landau, Andrew Schulz, Matt mcClowery, Jon reep, Bill Bushart are all names I have never heard of and I assure you I will try to find all of their stand up specials.  Even if only one of that bunch is good, this is a great post.   Thanks for your contribution.

Before I get to any of these if you care to tell me of the ones mentioned here, who do you recommend the most?

Also, Lavell Crawford's older stuff was good, he's a good mention.  I watched his most recent one and it was horrible though.

Andrew Schultz is getting a huge push right now and he's funny. All the rest of them are very funny some of them are Regional some of them are national. And each one really depends on your mood. Comedians Acts change as their life changes. Jeff Dunham got bitter after all of his hard work half of it went away in his divorce. Stanhope is good his earlier stuff is happy later his mom died and coke was his friend and he knows he will never be main stream sitcom and he doesn't want it. Life is a little less interesting when you've seen it all. Auggie Smith murders crowds. Comedy is weird where anyone can have a good day or a bad day. Its weird a joke can work 100 times in a row and for no reason fail badly. Its like music sometimes you are in the mood for one thing and sometimes not. It would be hard to say I would listen to just one or 5 songs or even bands forever. Limpbiscut opened for DMX times change.

You are the saving grace of this thread.  I know there would be a majority of simpletons who are going to see 1-2 names they recognize and don't like, and harp on that instead of, Oh I dunno trying to expand their own knowledge of comedians.

Your post and recommendations is exactly the type of responses I was hoping for.  Your knowledge on stand up comedians is obviously greater than everyone else who has chimed in with their limited knowledge acting like experts.

8/23/19 7:31 PM
11/20/09
The Destroyer88 - 
D241 -
The Destroyer88 - 
D241 -
The Destroyer88 - 

Why are you getting so defensive over me pointing out that Amy is a joke theif? I'm not shitting on your list I'm just saying she's not funny, even with other people's material.

Well, I am getting a little defensive and to you in particular, I apologize.  This list was not something I just came up with in 5 minutes.  I watch stand ups all the time and I try to note which ones I like so I could compile a master list so that when I want to laugh, but not laugh at whatever I was laughing at last week, I could look at this list and be like..."oh yeah, I haven't seen that person's stand up in a long time".   

I was frustrated with all the negative comments with very little recognition that I'm trying to do something nice, and you got the grunt of it.  Sorry.

Now, back to your specific comments, what is this joke theiving you're speaking of?  Is it like a word for word joke theif or a similar joke but delivery/set up totally different?  I do agree Dane Cook and Schaub are horrible.  Schaub being the worst, Dane's fanbase being worse.

8/23/19 7:32 PM
11/20/09

Here's another comedian I have watched multiple times and think is very funny, but for some reason I forgot to add him to my list.  

Michael Che

8/23/19 7:36 PM
7/8/13
D241 -
spjackson77 - 

HOW?

It's not like Doug doesn't have a lot of material.  Can you find ONE example of something he said that you think is funny, that you think I and everyone should think is funny?

I can think of hundreds of examples. just one off the top of my head, about marriage

"If marriage didn't exist, would you invent it? Would you go "Baby, this shit we got together? It's so good we gotta get the government in on this shit. We can't just share this commitment between us. We need judges and lawyers involved in this shit, baby. It's hot!"

he's not just going about it by complaining, he's making light of just how absurd it is on the surface. For a lot of people his comedy is a little too on point and hurts their feelings, so they just try to write him off as a complainer. Couldn't be further from the truth. If he makes you feel insecure about something, that's a you problem.

If you were just independently talking about Stanhope, and saying he's not your cup of tea, then fine. To each their own. But to list comics like Kevin Hart and Ali Wong, but omit Stanhope, who is one of the most respected comedians in the entire comedy world amongst all his peers, is silly. Also, to just write him off as a complainer, but still list Jim Jefferies and Anthony Jeselnik is just stupid. 

8/23/19 7:37 PM
11/20/09
D241 - 
The Destroyer88 - 
D241 -
The Destroyer88 - 
D241 -
The Destroyer88 - 

Well, I am getting a little defensive and to you in particular, I apologize.  This list was not something I just came up with in 5 minutes.  I watch stand ups all the time and I try to note which ones I like so I could compile a master list so that when I want to laugh, but not laugh at whatever I was laughing at last week, I could look at this list and be like..."oh yeah, I haven't seen that person's stand up in a long time".   

I was frustrated with all the negative comments with very little recognition that I'm trying to do something nice, and you got the grunt of it.  Sorry.

Now, back to your specific comments, what is this joke theiving you're speaking of?  Is it like a word for word joke theif or a similar joke but delivery/set up totally different?  I do agree Dane Cook and Schaub are horrible.  Schaub being the worst, Dane's fanbase being worse.

I take that back.  Your original comment was absolute shit, totally unproductive and added nothing but negativity to this thread.  Several others had names they recommended without being a dick.  You just took some people you didn't like and said, "wah wah I don't like this person on your list".  

I don't give a fuck who I like that you don't like.  I'm trying to find people you and others like, that I might not have heard about.

8/23/19 7:40 PM
11/20/09
spjackson77 - 
D241 -
spjackson77 - 

HOW?

I can think of hundreds of examples. just one off the top of my head, about marriage

"If marriage didn't exist, would you invent it? Would you go "Baby, this shit we got together? It's so good we gotta get the government in on this shit. We can't just share this commitment between us. We need judges and lawyers involved in this shit, baby. It's hot!"

he's not just going about it by complaining, he's making light of just how absurd it is on the surface. For a lot of people his comedy is a little too on point and hurts their feelings, so they just try to write him off as a complainer. Couldn't be further from the truth. If he makes you feel insecure about something, that's a you problem.

If you were just independently talking about Stanhope, and saying he's not your cup of tea, then fine. To each their own. But to list comics like Kevin Hart and Ali Wong, but omit Stanhope, who is one of the most respected comedians in the entire comedy world amongst all his peers, is silly. Also, to just write him off as a complainer, but still list Jim Jefferies and Anthony Jeselnik is just stupid. 

This is good feedback.  

This bit about marriage, what stand up special is that from please?

Here's the thing.  That bit you gave as an example, might have been the best example you could have given me in particular as I have never been married, would never get married, and think marriage is such a crock of shit.  But that being said, I'm wondering will this bit be enjoyable for me because I agree with it, or will i enjoy it because he'll make it funny.  There's a difference and there's comedians I agree with a lot but that doesn't make them funny to me, it just makes them agreeable which I think many people "feel good" with hearing someone "tell it like it is", but to me, comedy is making someone feel good by making them laugh, in particular about something they may not have ever thought about.  That part is key, and perhaps a big difference why there are so many Stan fans.

8/23/19 7:46 PM
7/8/13
D241 -
spjackson77 - 
D241 -
spjackson77 - 

HOW?

This is good feedback.  

This bit about marriage, what stand up special is that from please?

Here's the thing.  That bit you gave as an example, might have been the best example you could have given me in particular as I have never been married, would never get married, and think marriage is such a crock of shit.  But that being said, I'm wondering will this bit be enjoyable for me because I agree with it, or will i enjoy it because he'll make it funny.  There's a difference and there's comedians I agree with a lot but that doesn't make them funny to me, it just makes them agreeable which I think many people "feel good" with hearing someone "tell it like it is", but to me, comedy is making someone feel good by making them laugh, in particular about something they may not have ever thought about.  That part is key, and perhaps a big difference why there are so many Stan fans.

his special 'Deadbeat hero'  It's one of my all time favorites. Watch it on youtube, it's epic.

8/23/19 7:53 PM
11/20/09
TheRoguewrestler - LOL! That's a shit list. No Stanhope??? Holy shit.

Fuck You

spjackson77 - 

No Stanhope is insanity

Fuck You

8/23/19 7:54 PM
11/20/09

The Destroyer88 - 

Fuck You

TheRoguewrestler - LOL! That's a shit list. No Stanhope??? Holy shit.

Fuck You

CaptainWoody - You have Bo Burnham ....but not Stephen Lynch. Steven is far better than Bo.

Plus they aren't really "stand up" guys but more musical comedy guys.

Amy Schumer?!?....are you actually trying to be serious with this list?

No George Carlin, Bill Hicks or Bill Burr?....I guess that answers my question

*edit I have no idea why I spelled stephen two different ways

Fuck You

Thebonfirexm - 

No carlin......wow

Fuck You
8/23/19 7:54 PM
11/20/09
OJTT-RayRay 

Theo Von and Chris Porter should be on the list. 

iFish 

Emo Phillips hasnt been mentioned, he’d be in my top 58. 

DirtyTrevorUK - 

I think it's important to recommend which special to watch. Even with some of the best comics they can be hit or miss.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Flyerfan - 

Most of mine would include names already mentioned in this thread. However, I would have to add Norm Macdonald to the list too, as I haven't seen him mentioned anywhere yet.

Dreville79 - 

James Acasters Repertoire is the best Stand Up of the decade, he’s a fucking genius 

YA'LL ARE COOL

Half Speed is the coolest

8/23/19 7:56 PM
10/8/07
D241 -
D241 - 
The Destroyer88 - 
D241 -
The Destroyer88 - 
D241 -
The Destroyer88 - 

I take that back.  Your original comment was absolute shit, totally unproductive and added nothing but negativity to this thread.  Several others had names they recommended without being a dick.  You just took some people you didn't like and said, "wah wah I don't like this person on your list".  

I don't give a fuck who I like that you don't like.  I'm trying to find people you and others like, that I might not have heard about.

Well if you like Amy might I suggest checking out all the comedians she stole from? Material you obviously think is funny?

There's a positive post for ya, fucktard. :)

8/23/19 8:21 PM
11/20/09

"Thanks for this list.  I'll try to come up with some suggestings not listed I think you might like.  With all those comedians you listed, I'm a bit surprised you listed Amy Schumer in there.  I'd assume if you follow comedy this much to compile a list like this you'd be aware she has stolen quite a few jokes from other comedians.  It's documented.  Are you aware of this and don't care of not aware?"

If you came at me like that, your post would stand out in a far more positive manner where I would actually care about your feedback.  

And to answer this hypothetical post you are probably incapable of making, No, I was not aware.  For the purity and originalness of stand up comedians material, I naturally want to shun her for this and don't want to support her, but because of how big of a dick you were about it, I'm actually going to watch some of her stand up specials this weekend, just to spite your negativity you spew online.  Fucktard :)

8/23/19 8:35 PM
11/20/09

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MylhoTBrLrI

You guys hate the fact that this is actually funny don't you?

Or you gonna really try to pretend like this wasn't funny?