OtherGround Forums My favorite stand up comedians(58)

8/24/19 1:22 AM
6/3/18

Sorry can't sleep but at least I broke it up.

8/24/19 1:32 AM
6/3/18

Eddie izzard was told that Germans don't have a sense of humor as a group and that is why they don't have comedians and that it was impossible. So he taught himself German became fluent and booked a show over there and got laughs. There are now German comedians.he literally taught an entire country to laugh and that comedy is ok.

Edited: 8/24/19 1:38 AM
6/3/18

I was recently in Russia and they now have a comedy club in Moscow. It is called standup club no 1 and is really nice. Then do an all English show on Sunday.

8/24/19 1:37 AM
6/3/18

8/24/19 4:25 AM
10/1/02

Andrew Shulz is the shit right now.

8/24/19 4:41 AM
11/20/09

I feel like you're just throwing comedian names out there now Half Speed.  You need to go about 1/8th speed.

8/24/19 7:35 AM
6/3/18

Every name I gave you is very good and worth looking into. 

8/24/19 7:58 AM
6/3/18

I have been a comic for 17 years. I have definitely done my 10,000 hrs. I know most of those names personality or by reputation. It is a small world. Believe me there are many many more names that are average or worse. Those are the people I find very funny that I like and can listen to.

It is very much like music some people will say better band that sold 50 million records sucks, but it doesn't mean that they do. It just means but they are not that person's cup of tea.

Edited: 8/24/19 9:04 AM
6/3/18

Russell Peters it's probably one of the biggest comedians of all time. He is internationally famous and where we measure superstardom in America if they can sell out Madison Square Garden or arenas Russell Peters has done shows globally for over 200,000 people at a time. Comedy is also weird and that you can be a super mega star for a couple years and then fade as your material isn't quite as polished as what made you a superstar. You end up rushing out new material and specials to cash in on your moment in the light.

8/24/19 8:11 AM
7/21/18

Where’s Micky flanagan?

8/24/19 9:06 AM
6/3/18

Gallagher one of the biggest comedians of all time who pioneered the one hour special on premium cable is now playing very small venues and bowling alleys in the Midwest. I don't think he is doing it because he needs the money I think he just likes doing comedy.

8/24/19 9:38 AM
1/1/01
Half speed - 

I have been a comic for 17 years. I have definitely done my 10,000 hrs. I know most of those names personality or by reputation. It is a small world. Believe me there are many many more names that are average or worse. Those are the people I find very funny that I like and can listen to.

It is very much like music some people will say better band that sold 50 million records sucks, but it doesn't mean that they do. It just means but they are not that person's cup of tea.

You feel like doing an AMA in this thread or your own thread? I think lots of us standup fans would be interested in hearing about the experiences and thoughts of someone working in such a non-traditional creative field, I know I would.
8/24/19 9:42 AM
1/1/01
Half speed - 

On a person's cup of tea. That is why I did not shit on OP after he mentioned guys like Sinbad while leaving Pryor, Stanhope, Giraldo, etc... off his list. You can't just assume someone else has the same taste or has even been exposed to the same performances.

For sure I've heard Richard Belzer and Buddy Hackett were great standups but I'd be lying if I've seen more than two minutes of either of them on stage so I can't speak on the subject of their merit.
Edited: 8/24/19 9:55 AM
6/3/18

That might be fun the only issue is sometimes if I can't sleep I will be on the OG for an hour or more at a time and then sometimes I get busy and can't log in for most of the day. I kind of did one about Russia in April that was kind of neat but I got busy for about 4 or 5 days and it sort of fell off. I had some really cool pictures on that.

8/24/19 11:46 AM
1/1/01

Kurt Metzger is another really good one. His "White Precious" special is excellent

8/24/19 1:19 PM
11/20/09
Half speed - 

Thank you for your efforts man!  I equate the hours of thinking/writing material is similar to hours an mma practioner puts in to hone his skills.  

I really love comedy as you can tell and again, super thankful for your input as well as all your lifelong efforts in comedy which resulted in some of the knowledge/suggestions you shared here.

I wouldn't be offended at all if you did an ama on my thread or on your own.  I'd read it either way.

Also Russell Peters is someone who was also "not my cup of tea" but I have seen him on podcast and radio interviews, and that is one of the coolest mother fuckers ever!  His background, his hip hop culture knowledge, he's a cool ass cat.  I have been meaning to give him another shot once I heard him on an interview talking about 90's east coast hip hop and people he knew.  I want to enjoy his comedy b/c I actually admire Russell the person more than many comedians who I have watched their sets multiple times.

8/25/19 12:41 AM
11/20/09

All of you who were complaining about Amy Schumer, I just want to point out, had none of you said anything, then this weekend I would not only have watched two of her stand ups  I've already seen, but I also would not have discovered her most recent stand up she put out this year while pregnant, and I also just now discovered this other stand up comedy she's a part of. 

Ya'll don't like her and probably don't want people to enjoy her, but b/c of how dickish ya'll were, you've created more stuff for me to like about her, as well as advertise her shit.  Next time, try to be nicer dummies lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WggRodqiaGU

"I got stung by a jellyfish.  At least that's what the guy who was peeing on me said" lol.  I'm only a few minutes in and already laughing.

8/25/19 1:26 AM
12/8/14
D241 -
OJTT-RayRay - 

Theo Von and Chris Porter should be on the list. 

No on Theo for me, but Chris Porter would be a yes.  At least his Ugly and Angry special was enjoyable.  I'm going to add him to my list, thanks for the recommendation.

I know Theo ain’t everyone’s cup of tea, but if you watch his Netflix special, and Amy Schumer’s Netflix specials, I have no idea how you can have her ranked higher than him. 

But you did include Nate Bargatze and Nick Thune, so I appreciate you for that. 

8/25/19 4:55 PM
11/20/09
OJTT-RayRay - 
D241 -
OJTT-RayRay - 

Theo Von and Chris Porter should be on the list. 

No on Theo for me, but Chris Porter would be a yes.  At least his Ugly and Angry special was enjoyable.  I'm going to add him to my list, thanks for the recommendation.

I know Theo ain’t everyone’s cup of tea, but if you watch his Netflix special, and Amy Schumer’s Netflix specials, I have no idea how you can have her ranked higher than him. 

But you did include Nate Bargatze and Nick Thune, so I appreciate you for that. 

Honestly it seems like hating on Amy Schumer is the cool hipster thing to do.  I honestly feel like people who are shitting on her haven't seen the stand up special I recommended.

Did you give 2-3 minutes of a try on her "Mostly Sex Stuff" stand up special?

I'd say Amy's style is a cross between Daniel Tosh and Anthony Jeselnik.  As edgy as Tosh and similar devliery, not quite as dark as Jeselnik but has her moments.  I like both better, but it's weird to me the hate she gets.

8/25/19 4:55 PM
11/20/09

Also Iliza Schleshinger is another good comic I left off the list.  She's pretty hot too.

8/25/19 5:15 PM
12/17/02

No love for The OGs Adam Hunter?.....

Dean DelRay is pretty cool too,went to high school with him....always been an entertainer.

8/28/19 10:20 PM
11/20/09

Dave Chappelle's new stand up was alright, for standards I have for him.  He's consistently funny and puts out a lot of stand up specials which gives you extra credit, but compared to his other specials, I don't feel this one will have as much re-watch ability.  Basically b/c of long build up jokes and current even jokes don't make for good re-watch comedies.  

Still, I'd rank this special better than most the specials I've watched in the OP.