OtherGround Forums My heart hurts, I’ve lost my savior

9 days ago
1/3/18

The city of Houston, the Medical and Oncology world and the world at large, has lost a true hero. 

The literal savior of my life, Dr. Robert Amato has passed away. Taken by the very thing he has saved countless others from; Cancer.

If it had not been for Dr. Amato, I would have been worm shit over 20 years ago due to a late stage 4 metastasized tumor. Yet here I am, while this man who will forever be my hero had to go away.

I met him when he was at MD Anderson. Before that, I had been doing my chemotherapy in my hometown of Beaumont. But my city’s oncology group, being subpar as they are, were not aggressive enough and my cancer stopped shrinking and began to resist. This changed my remission chances from 70% (this was in the 90’s) to a 50/50 toss up at best. The odds weren’t in my favor. 

My parents decided to immediately transfer to MDA, where I met Dr. Amato. Until that time, I’d never met a man who was so gallant and confident in his profession. It was magnetic and infectious. Even with bad odds I was never afraid and was ready to deal with anything and everything about to transpire. 

Boy did it ever. They were very upfront and were not understating when they told me what I would be going through. Within 6 months time which included recovery time between treatments, I went from 165lbs to about 97lbs. There were times when I couldn’t even hold down water and was vomiting nothing but bile every 5 minutes.

However, due to his aggressive method and a couple of surgeries later, I was given an official remission report barely One year after my initial diagnosis.

My allergies have been acting up a lot today, especially since I try to reason why great men like this get taken from our world too soon. As a father it hurts even more to know that his mother and father will be burying him instead of the other way around.

Like any true gentleman, Dr. Amato would never have considered himself a hero, rather a man just doing his best to save lives. But he was my hero and the savior of my life. He gets full credit for that, and deservingly so. 

Thank you for your work, your passion and compassion Dr. Amato. The world is not as good without you. 

Fuck Cancer!!

https://m.legacy.com/obituaries/houstonchronicle/obituary.aspx?n=robert-amato&pid=193868361&referrer=0&preview=True

9 days ago
12/15/11

RIP

9 days ago
1/1/01

RIP

9 days ago
10/15/13

RIP

9 days ago
5/23/12

RIP

9 days ago
1/1/01
MDA is one awesome hospital. They kept my uncle alive for nearly 20 years longer than what any normal hospital could have.
9 days ago
8/20/03

F*ck cancer!

9 days ago
1/1/01
Captain Canuck -

F*ck cancer!

This

9 days ago
1/3/18
GHTT_Pig Bun - MDA is one awesome hospital. They kept my uncle alive for nearly 20 years longer than what any normal hospital could have.

Yes it is. I’m glad I was able to talk to him again a couple of years ago, and introduce him to my wife and son. He was the very reason why I have the life I have.

My best friend’s dad has been going to him for a few years now. Since I practically grew up at their house, they kept Dr Amato up to date on my life and would periodically tell me what he was up to. 

I wish I could have talked him in person one more time more recently just to tell him how much I appreciate him and how important he has been to me. Unfortunately his illness kept him from responding to any emails I sent, but I’m glad I sent them anyway. 

9 days ago
2/23/05
:(
9 days ago
7/16/13

RIP

9 days ago
11/17/10

RIP

my cousin met with Dr. Amato and his team, years ago when he was suffering from glioblastoma.....unfortunately my cousin ended up passing but i clearly remember them taking a flight from here in NJ to meet with Dr. Amato in Houston

seems like a great dude

9 days ago
12/2/18

What a beautiful life. RIP.

9 days ago
1/3/18

Might not be the best song, but it sums up my feelings/emotions about him. I always thought if my cancer ever came back, I’d be able to go straight to him again. 

9 days ago
9/26/02

RIP

9 days ago
4/29/09

rest in peace ,  he seems like he was a great influence on the world 

9 days ago
1/3/18
Chomas -

rest in peace ,  he seems like he was a great influence on the world 

He was certainly a force within oncology research. 

9 days ago
1/18/12

Rip to a real one

9 days ago
5/15/07
RIP to a real hero!

The next time I hear some retard hippie tell me about holistic medicine and how bogus modern medicine is I'm going to bitch slap them for Dr. Amato.
9 days ago
12/10/18

Getting awful dusty in here, RIP

9 days ago
1/3/18
Burt Reynoldz - RIP to a real hero!

The next time I hear some retard hippie tell me about holistic medicine and how bogus modern medicine is I'm going to bitch slap them for Dr. Amato.

I’d vote you up 100000000x if I could. 

9 days ago
1/3/18
LieDetector -

Getting awful dusty in here, RIP

Bro, I’ve been emotionally up and down all day. Luckily I’ve had my school work to occupy my mind. 

9 days ago
10/30/05

Beautiful story for a wonderful man. Thanks for sharing. 

9 days ago
1/3/18

Funny little side story, nothing significant: Everytime I watch the first Matrix film, when they have Neo in that small room with just the table and two chairs, it reminds me of my consultation with Dr. Amato at MDA. It was a tiny room with possibly one picture on the wall. I’ll never forget that room. I was 19, but felt so small in there. 

Dr. Amato came in with one other doctor and sat across from me, the other doctor stood. He had a file with the results of all the tests they had run on me.

That’s when he gave it to me straight up, no candy shell. I’ll never forget the statements that were made. But I’ll also never forget how safe I felt after he stated just how well we were gonna beat my cancer. He was almost casual about it. Lol

Those kind of influential men help other men stay strong. 

The Matrix is one of my GOAT films. It always reminds of him because of that room, now it’ll be bittersweet. 

9 days ago
1/1/01

RIP, so awesome he got to meet your family and its awesome you are sharing and creating this thread to him.