OtherGround Forums NFL opening night ratings down 17%

9/11/20 5:20 PM
9/27/15
WendyIDMT - 

Per J.J. Watt 

“The moment of unity I personally thought was good,” the star defensive end told reporters after the game. “I mean the booing during that moment was unfortunate. I don't fully understand that. There was no flag involved. There was nothing involved other than two teams coming together to show unity.”

Is he really that dense?  Pehaps try unifying with the fans that are pissed off at the woke shit.

That's what I have a big problem with. Either JJ Watt is really that dense or more likely he is reading a script and afraid to say what he really thinks. No current nfl player is going to cone out and say anything remotely against Blm or other political leanings . If they did, they'd get hounded and probably lose their job

Where does all this end? The best thing we can do is not watch the sport. As much as I love mma, if I started seeing BLM painted everywhere I don't think I could still watch it with any enjoyment

The fucked up thing is is blms narrative that blacks are hunted down unjustly by white racist cops is so untrue ..it would take any adult 5 minutes to read the actual stats but instead we have to allow this circus
9/11/20 5:20 PM
1/1/01
gregbrady - 
Lancifer - "Critics of the league will point to the NFL’s newfound political activism as the reason for the decline. While that may well be true..."

I love how they already have their answer, but since it's not the one they want they feel the need to spit conjecture and hypothesize.

Reminds me a lot of Disney. "We don't know why fans are upset about the Last Jedi..."

Yes you fucking do.

We've told you, in no uncertain terms.

yeah when you read the comments on those articles its like 99% ppl bitching about the political bullshit. lol

we have no idea why ppl are mad

It's fucking comical.

All of the Cowboys related pages or groups on Facebook I see have 2 distinct types of comments. Variations of:

1) How bout them Cowboys! Cee Dee Lamb and Dak are gunna...

2) PLEASE, NO WOKE BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!

People are pleading with them to stop with the woke bullshit and just let us enjoy sports.

...and if things go south they will have a thousand hypothesis that dance around what the problem is.
9/11/20 5:24 PM
9/27/15
androb - 
Charles Barkley - 

Well most people watch it on their phones and tablets anyway and this probably doesn’t count multiple TVs in the same household and honestly ratings are racist. 

do you think thats true?

I would think MOST people would watch football on their 65" 4K TV's

I question this as well.. Most people id assume were watching it on their huge hd crystal clear TV set. Then again, this is coming from someone that would never try to watch any sport or movie on my phone or iPad
9/11/20 5:48 PM
9/5/08

I  am out until they stop with the bullshit.  It is responsible for sports to pick a side before an incident has been investigated.  Why are they putting criminals names on their helmets but nobody cares about the innocent kids that have been killed.  

Mookie Betts has succeed in getting me to stop watching the Dodgers.  

9/11/20 5:54 PM
7/14/10

I slowly stopped watching after i stopped playing fantasy football and stopped going to bars. Caught SOME of the 2017 season ( kinda hard to ignore it in philly at the time since the draft was here which was interesting to be at ) but after that, i could give a rats ass about football.

Honestly had no idea the season started up

9/11/20 6:02 PM
7/10/02

" PLEASE, NO WOKE BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!

People are pleading with them to stop with the woke bullshit and just let us enjoy sports."

It seems the agenda has to be pushed, even by these private companies that are going to lose millions doing so. It really makes no sense!

9/11/20 6:02 PM
5/18/11
easedel -

I slowly stopped watching after i stopped playing fantasy football and stopped going to bars. Caught SOME of the 2017 season ( kinda hard to ignore it in philly at the time since the draft was here which was interesting to be at ) but after that, i could give a rats ass about football.

I probably wouldnt watch anymore if it wasn't for fantasy football, I really only get invested in my alma mater's athletics because i atleast feel some connection. My NFL interest has faded somewhat the past few years.

9/11/20 6:12 PM
7/14/10
Huggsbear -
easedel -

I probably wouldnt watch anymore if it wasn't for fantasy football, I really only get invested in my alma mater's athletics because i atleast feel some connection. My NFL interest has faded somewhat the past few years.

Yea it made me watch games outside my hometown team. Was a reason to be at the bars all day and night on sunday and on monday nights too. Every damn sunday open and closed the bar lol glad i stopped

9/11/20 6:18 PM
1/1/01
Guys, guys... a drop in ratings is no surprise. After all, there's so many other things to do during this pandemic lockdown, right?

Fathers, raise your kids. Don't abandon them to grow up to be thugs.

Edited: 9/11/20 6:33 PM
12/26/05
WendyIDMT -

Per J.J. Watt 

“The moment of unity I personally thought was good,” the star defensive end told reporters after the game. “I mean the booing during that moment was unfortunate. I don't fully understand that. There was no flag involved. There was nothing involved other than two teams coming together to show unity.”

Is he really that dense?  Pehaps try unifying with the fans that are pissed off at the woke shit.

I dont think hes being dense.  Locking arms as teammates, and not during a cultural ceremony like the national anthem doesnt strike me as anything offensive.

This bothers me not at all.

What bothers me is that the display was done in the name of social justice.

But like I said, I do not actually believe the majority of players actually understand what social justice is.

I'm not sure the people booing do either.  At this point I just think they are sick of any virtue signaling displays they think might relate in any way to the ass-fucks around the US burning down cities.

9/11/20 6:38 PM
12/2/05

I don't get the fatigue argument. People are home and desperate for new entertainment more than ever.

9/11/20 6:45 PM
3/18/14
gregbrady -
CavemanDave -
KennyPowers55 - https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-ratings-initial-results-show-decline-for-kc-houston-kickoff-game-162037891.html

This is a developing story.

The initial wave of NFL ratings for Thursday night’s season kickoff have arrived, and the preliminary numbers are sharply down for the NFL.

According to Deadline, the Kansas City-Texas game rated a 5.2 among adults 18-49, the key demographic for advertisers, and boasted a preliminary total of 16.4 million viewers. At the moment — ratings are adjusted upward as more reports roll in — that’s a 16.1 percent drop from last year’s kickoff between the Packers and the Bears.

Critics of the league will point to the NFL’s newfound political activism as the reason for the decline. While that may well be true, ratings are an inexact science, capable of detecting action but not motivation. Possible reasons for the initial decline include:
Social justice activism: The NFL has stepped squarely into the social justice space, with political messaging blanketing most of the opening minutes of the telecast and the halftime show. Slogans are in place in the back of both end zones, players linked hands in a “show of unity” (that was booed by fans despite not taking place in connection with the national anthem), and commentators made multiple references to social justice efforts. Critics of the league have claimed that they will stop watching as long as politics intrudes on sports.

Sports fatigue: Ratings for all sports, not just politically active ones, are down across the board. The twin societal hurricanes of a pandemic and racial protests have forced sports into a secondary role. Ongoing fires on the West Coast are a far more pressing concern to millions than whether Patrick Mahomes has a good day passing. It’s tough to relax with football when the world is crushing down on you.

No preseason: The typical cycle of preseason hype was completely absent this year; this was literally the first on-field football we’ve seen since the Super Bowl. While nobody really likes preseason games, per se, they serve an important purpose: priming the pump of fan interest. It’s a fair bet that many casual fans weren’t even aware the NFL was kicking off Thursday night.

Competition: While the NFL easily owned the night, it was nonetheless facing unexpected and unseasonal competition. Thursday night’s game went up against a LeBron James Lakers playoff game, a Serena Williams U.S. Open semifinal match, and a Dallas-Las Vegas Stanley Cup conference final. It’s a crowded sports calendar, and that means the audience’s attention gets spread a bit thinner.

The matchup: Multiple television ratings experts contacted by Yahoo Sports noted that the most important factor controlling NFL ratings isn’t politics or competition, it’s matchups. A good matchup between marquee teams will carry the day, and from that standpoint, Thursday night wasn’t a powerhouse showdown. The Chiefs are now one of the league’s top draws, but the Texans have struggled to draw attention on the national stage. They struggled on the field, too, falling behind 31-7 before losing 34-20.

Last year’s Packers-Bears game was a far more attractive national matchup, and was more of a competitive game, with the Packers winning 10-3. That game amassed a total viewership of 22 million.

Worth noting: advertisers still believe in the NFL and in the audience that’s watching. Pro Football Talk reported Thursday that NBC sold out its entire ad inventory for Thursday night’s game, “with revenue up double digits vs. 2019 and the average cost per 30-second spot near $900,000,” according to an NBC spokesperson.

Fucking sports fatigue.  Exactly how the fuck could you possibly have sports fatigue?  

Everybody knows exactly why ratings are down.  You heard it in the opening of the game to the smattering of fans who showed up. This is just more bullshit.  More running cover on behalf of the woke.   

Notice even the left dope-accounts on here that keep churning out screen names won't try to delve into defense of social justice, they just stick to the bullshit scripts like russian collusion and whatnot.  I'm sure some of them believe it wholesale, they just know 70% of society utterly hates the shit, and it's virtually unsellable under any kind of scrutiny.

That's why this type of shit is so important to woke cunts.  Wokeness needs to be unchallenged.  It needs to be a dogpile, have a smokescreen, hold a baby out in front of it as a shield, etc...because enough people have caught on that it's a dishonest manipulation.

"Sports fatigue: Ratings for all sports, not just politically active ones, are down across the board."

^Is that even true? I thought UFC ratings went up

This

9/11/20 6:53 PM
6/27/02
Fake Pie - 

I don't get the fatigue argument. People are home and desperate for new entertainment more than ever.

There is no fatigue argument... they're reeeeeaching with that one. I wonder how MASSIVE the ratings were for Lebron that it took away from the nfl (LOL)

9/11/20 6:56 PM
10/16/07

Golf ratings are smashing every other league because they aren’t getting involved

https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/alternate/amp/2020-08-05-golf-ratings-are-dunking-on-every-other-sport-in-america-right-now/

9/11/20 6:56 PM
1/27/14
phydeau -

The players are all millionaires.  No one is interested in listening to millionaires bemoan how oppressed they are.  

Get woke go broke.  Fuck them all

They are speaking up for the people who are being affected that don’t have a platform 

9/11/20 6:57 PM
2/22/13
CavemanDave -
WendyIDMT -

Per J.J. Watt 

I dont think hes being dense.  Locking arms as teammates, and not during a cultural ceremony like the national anthem doesnt strike me as anything offensive.

This bothers me not at all.

What bothers me is that the display was done in the name of social justice.

But like I said, I do not actually believe the majority of players actually understand what social justice is.

I'm not sure the people booing do either.  At this point I just think they are sick of any virtue signaling displays they think might relate in any way to the ass-fucks around the US burning down cities.

Which makes them all dense.

9/11/20 7:01 PM
5/30/05

Who would have thought putting the names of rapists on your helmet and promoting a Marxist terrorist group that spray paints "kill cops" on burning businesses would upset people? 

9/11/20 7:19 PM
6/27/02
sacredhate - 

Golf ratings are smashing every other league because they aren’t getting involved

https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/alternate/amp/2020-08-05-golf-ratings-are-dunking-on-every-other-sport-in-america-right-now/

But sports fatigue bro!

Edited: 9/11/20 7:21 PM
8/31/10
sacredhate -

Because the old farts who watch golf don't no how to stream, so they keep their cable tv hooked up for life.

9/11/20 7:35 PM
5/23/07
sgotwalks - 
sacredhate -

Because the old farts who watch golf don't no how to stream, so they keep their cable tv hooked up for life.

Lol no

And the NFL is fucking gay sir

9/11/20 7:50 PM
10/16/10
New study suggests 17% of NFL fans are white supremacists!
-CNN
9/11/20 8:59 PM
3/18/02

sucked in

choke on it

9/11/20 9:05 PM
4/6/19

JJ "let's play some tag" What?

9/11/20 9:14 PM
7/12/12

Perhaps the booing of fans will deliver the IDGAF message to the players and owners, that they have apparently been oblivious to.

I was watching from Korea, so their fuck boi direspect the flag games were happening on 9/11...but my boy David Johnson lit ut up for my fantasy team!

9/11/20 9:41 PM
8/29/09
PatK -
KennyPowers55 - 
PatK - 
KennyPowers55 - I'm not sure how they consider Packers vs Bears last year to be a better matchup than this years game. Green Bay was coming off of a 6-10 season while the Bears lost 1st round of the playoffs. Meanwhile, both KC and Houston made the playoffs last year with the Chiefs winning the whole thing. And Mahomes is the most exciting player in the league with Watson also being a top 5/7 qb.

I can't tell if you're trolling or are a moron

Which part?

It's the Bears vs Packers. 

Two of the most popular franchises of all time, with one of the greatest rivalries in the NFL

.Both teams could have been coming off of absymal seasons and people are going to watch it.

I just want to take this moment to remind you that your team picked Mitch Trubisky over Patrick Mahomes.