OtherGround Forums NFL opening night ratings down 17%

9/11/20 9:46 PM
7/12/12
Bad Monkey -
PatK -
KennyPowers55 - 
PatK - 
KennyPowers55 - I'm not sure how they consider Packers vs Bears last year to be a better matchup than this years game. Green Bay was coming off of a 6-10 season while the Bears lost 1st round of the playoffs. Meanwhile, both KC and Houston made the playoffs last year with the Chiefs winning the whole thing. And Mahomes is the most exciting player in the league with Watson also being a top 5/7 qb.

I can't tell if you're trolling or are a moron

Which part?

It's the Bears vs Packers. 

Two of the most popular franchises of all time, with one of the greatest rivalries in the NFL

.Both teams could have been coming off of absymal seasons and people are going to watch it.

I just want to take this moment to remind you that your team picked Mitch Trubisky over Patrick Mahomes. 

And Deshaun Watson...

But at least they are committed to sinking with him this season, so everyone can get fired.

9/11/20 10:17 PM
8/24/02

This might just be the beginning. With the pandemic and money getting tight for everyone, where will the money to pay these asshole athletes. People can’t afford to spend like they did, so now the sponsors won’t be making as much money now or even shutting the doors. 

Personally I checked out a few years ago with all the stupid rules and Kap bullshit. 

Edited: 9/11/20 10:22 PM
8/31/10
ABCTT_TFK_Mr.Smiff -
sgotwalks - 
sacredhate -

Golf ratings are smashing every other league because they aren’t getting involved

https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/alternate/amp/2020-08-05-golf-ratings-are-dunking-on-every-other-sport-in-america-right-now/

Because the old farts who watch golf don't no how to stream, so they keep their cable tv hooked up for life.

Lol no

And the NFL is fucking gay sir

Not gay!

Dallas Cowboys | Official Site of the Dallas Cowboys

Gay

South Florida's LGBT golf league makes golf fun | Miami Herald

9/11/20 10:27 PM
8/24/02
sgotwalks -
ABCTT_TFK_Mr.Smiff -
sgotwalks - 
sacredhate -

Golf ratings are smashing every other league because they aren’t getting involved

https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/alternate/amp/2020-08-05-golf-ratings-are-dunking-on-every-other-sport-in-america-right-now/

Because the old farts who watch golf don't no how to stream, so they keep their cable tv hooked up for life.

Lol no

Not gay!

Gay

I bet you you wear a jersey with another mans name on the back. THAT IS GAY 

9/11/20 10:39 PM
8/31/10
addict -
sgotwalks -
ABCTT_TFK_Mr.Smiff -
sgotwalks - 
sacredhate -

Lol no

Not gay!

Gay

I bet you you wear a jersey with another mans name on the back. THAT IS GAY 

Good one buddy! I bet you wear your Elias Theodorou fight kit to the grocery store because you're on an mma forum and you watch UFC, and you exhibit homosexual tendancies in your homophobic posts. THAT IS GAY!

Men's Reebok Elias Theodorou Black UFC Fight Night Walkout Hoodie Repl – UFC .EU

Theodorou is the hair apparent in the UFC – Peel Region Review

Or, maybe you just like watching fights. Or, maybe you don't even like the fights but you're already jerking off to this post. 

Edited: 9/11/20 11:23 PM
8/24/02

Yeah exactly fag. Enjoy sitting on your fat ass all day Sunday salivating at players in their tights while I’ll be out on the course with some friends and our girls actually doing something. Don’t worry there is still time for you grow up and stop idolizing football players. 
And cmon admit you do have a jersey and I bet your fantasy football draft party was bitching huh?

9/12/20 1:56 AM
1/1/01
I expected worse.
9/12/20 3:28 AM
2/20/09

Lol, the decline in ratings is gratifying.

9/12/20 3:53 AM
6/30/03

So 83 percent of fans are absolute cuckolds

Edited: 9/12/20 4:30 AM
4/25/13
sgotwalks -
ABCTT_TFK_Mr.Smiff -
sgotwalks - 
sacredhate -

Lol no

Not gay!

Gay

Ya NFL is super gay now. This is an actual NFL cheerleader.

9/12/20 8:37 AM
7/24/16

This is the plight of a Chiefs fan. The most dedicated fanbase in the NFL waits patiently- 50 years kind of patiently- for a Super Bowl and when we finally get one Corona hits and half the country is trying to kill the other half or burn it to the ground.

9/12/20 8:41 AM
7/24/16
Frank Mir Cat -
Bad Monkey -
PatK -
KennyPowers55 - 
PatK - 
KennyPowers55 - I'm not sure how they consider Packers vs Bears last year to be a better matchup than this years game. Green Bay was coming off of a 6-10 season while the Bears lost 1st round of the playoffs. Meanwhile, both KC and Houston made the playoffs last year with the Chiefs winning the whole thing. And Mahomes is the most exciting player in the league with Watson also being a top 5/7 qb.

Which part?

Two of the most popular franchises of all time, with one of the greatest rivalries in the NFL

.Both teams could have been coming off of absymal seasons and people are going to watch it.

I just want to take this moment to remind you that your team picked Mitch Trubisky over Patrick Mahomes. 

And Deshaun Watson...

But at least they are committed to sinking with him this season, so everyone can get fired.

Yeah, I don't think Mitch's ego is going to be able to handle being in the same locker room as Big Nick. Or as Pat McAfee refers to him, "Big Richard" Nick Foles.

9/12/20 7:36 PM
12/11/11
PatK -
KennyPowers55 - 
PatK - 

Which part?

Bear Down!

9/19/20 7:38 PM
11/13/14

9/19/20 7:50 PM
8/31/10
Kwang -

This all day! People have been in denial, wanting so desperately to believe the NFL is suffering, but that league is strong as fuck! I posted about this earlier in the thread, as I am one of those viewers who streams every game through DAZN.

9/19/20 8:10 PM
12/13/16

Nielsen ratings say otherwise, they include streaming. Allbright is wrong.
9/19/20 8:14 PM
1/1/01
The NFL is a slowly dying sport.

The graying of TV continues. Median age for the Super Bowl (2020) on Sunday was 49.1. Last year (2019) it was 47.7.
Edited: 9/19/20 8:27 PM
8/31/10
springfield - The NFL is a slowly dying sport.

The graying of TV continues. Median age for the Super Bowl (2020) on Sunday was 49.1. Last year (2019) it was 47.7.

Take a look at the posts above yours. You're wrong.

9/19/20 9:09 PM
4/15/06

Sportball is a distraction organized by the lizard people. No able-bodied right wing male should be watching that garbage.

9/20/20 4:26 AM
2/20/09
addict -

Yeah exactly fag. Enjoy sitting on your fat ass all day Sunday salivating at players in their tights while I’ll be out on the course with some friends and our girls actually doing something. Don’t worry there is still time for you grow up and stop idolizing football players. 
And cmon admit you do have a jersey and I bet your fantasy football draft party was bitching huh?

Did you just try to man-up someone by insinuating that you be playing golf as a more manly option?

9/20/20 4:31 AM
2/20/09
Kwang -

Of course “streaming is up”.  
they just started tracking it.  So yeah, it’s definitely up from the nothing that’s previously been recorded.

This desperate attempt is further proof that it’s a dying sport.

Forget the SJW garbage.

The ridiculous rules that favor quarterbacks and offensive have been taking a toll for years.

Factor in the racial stupidity and it’s yet another nail in the coffin.

9/20/20 4:40 AM
5/23/07
sgotwalks - 

NFL IS GAY

9/20/20 10:45 AM
8/31/10
ABCTT_TFK_Mr.Smiff -
sgotwalks - 

NFL IS GAY

Golf is for faggots

9/20/20 10:47 AM
8/31/10

The Wall Street Journal

Live TV Ratings Aren’t Fully Accounting for Streaming Viewers

Nielsen said it’s working with clients to fix the issue, which is caused by a streaming delay

Networks haven’t been getting full credit from Nielsen for all of the people watching live television through streaming services, the ratings firm acknowledged Wednesday, illustrating the pressures on the measurement company to keep up with the rapid evolution of viewing habits.

Often, live content through an internet-delivered streaming service lags behind the same content being delivered via cable, satellite or over-the-air broadcasting. That delay is resulting in those viewers not being considered live by Nielsen, according to the ratings service and several networks.

“The industry has seen a growing increase in consumer viewing of Live content streamed to their TV sets,” a Nielsen representative said in a statement Wednesday. “However, we found that when Live content is streamed to the TV set, delivery takes longer than that of traditional cable and over-the-air delivery.”

The specific issue causing viewers to fall out of the live viewing bucket is the 25-second threshold Nielsen has for differentiating between a live viewer and a delayed viewer. If a viewer’s online stream is more than 25 seconds behind the live telecast, they fall into the delayed bucket. It was a policy set in the early days of digital video recorders.

Nielsen said it’s working with clients to change its processing systems to redefine “live” viewing for streaming content on TV sets to within three minutes.

The discrepancy is only impacting live ratings. Ads in most programming are purchased on ratings that account for live viewing and delayed viewing for several days, figures which wouldn’t be impacted by the streaming issue.

However, with major sporting events like NFL games, advertisers frequently pay a premium to reach a certain number of live viewers. Sports programming typically has live viewership of well over 90%, and that is primarily how sporting events are sold to advertisers.

In a recent Sunday night football game on NBC between the Dallas Cowboys and Philadelphia Eagles, the number of live viewers in the advertiser-coveted 18-49 demographic that were not counted was 166,000, according to NBC. If those viewers were counted as live instead of the delayed-viewing category of live plus same-day, NBC’s rating in that category would have grown by 2% to 8.55 million.

“As the media landscape has shifted, there needs to be an accommodation to accurately measure live audiences watching Sunday Night Football and other live events via virtual MVPDs,” said Joe Brown, senior vice president of research at NBC Sports Group. “There is a significant undercounting due to latency, which could cost broadcasters tens of millions of dollars on the NFL alone over the course of the 2017 season.”

It’s a similar story at other networks. Fox’s Oct. 15 Sunday afternoon football coverage had 143,000 people in the 18-49 demographic who were watching live not credited to the network. If they had been, the network’s 18-49 average that day would have grown 2.4%.

“We’re not getting full credit for our live viewing and it’s impacting us every weekend. It’s imperative to all networks that Nielsen move quickly on rectifying this issue,” said Bill Wanger, executive vice president of programming, live operations and research for Fox Sports.

While the discrepancy is relatively minimal, the competition for ad dollars and live viewers between the networks is intense and NFL commercials command premium prices.

Plus, the growing number of people consuming traditional television through streaming services such as Dish Network Corp. ’s SlingTV and AT&T Inc.’s DirecTV Now continues to grow, making this a more pressing concern for the networks.

Even last year, the streaming portion of viewership was less of an issue. For example, an NBC Sunday night game in November 2016 had only 20,000 viewers or 0.3% of its 18-49 audience not counted.

While sports is the type of content primarily hurt by this discrepancy in counting live viewers, the same concerns arise for any video programming that is consumed live, such as big awards shows like the Grammys or Oscars.

Walt Disney Co. ’s ESPN said it has been leading the effort to fix the issues with Nielsen, given that the majority of its programming is viewed live.

“As technology continues to advance and more content is streamed, it is imperative that measurement evolves,” said Cary Meyers, head of research at ESPN. “We’re confident Nielsen is making progress on a resolution in the near term.”

9/20/20 10:52 AM
8/31/10
donkypunch55 -
Kwang -

Of course “streaming is up”.  
they just started tracking it.  So yeah, it’s definitely up from the nothing that’s previously been recorded.

This desperate attempt is further proof that it’s a dying sport.

Forget the SJW garbage.

The ridiculous rules that favor quarterbacks and offensive have been taking a toll for years.

Factor in the racial stupidity and it’s yet another nail in the coffin.

Never heard growth described as a nail in the coffin before, or dying a slow death as the other poster put it. It reminds me of the 'boxing is a dying sport' line we've been hearing since mma came onto the scene.