OtherGround Forums NFL opening night ratings down 17%

9/11/20 1:53 PM
2/11/11
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-ratings-initial-results-show-decline-for-kc-houston-kickoff-game-162037891.html

This is a developing story.

The initial wave of NFL ratings for Thursday night’s season kickoff have arrived, and the preliminary numbers are sharply down for the NFL.

According to Deadline, the Kansas City-Texas game rated a 5.2 among adults 18-49, the key demographic for advertisers, and boasted a preliminary total of 16.4 million viewers. At the moment — ratings are adjusted upward as more reports roll in — that’s a 16.1 percent drop from last year’s kickoff between the Packers and the Bears.

Critics of the league will point to the NFL’s newfound political activism as the reason for the decline. While that may well be true, ratings are an inexact science, capable of detecting action but not motivation. Possible reasons for the initial decline include:
Social justice activism: The NFL has stepped squarely into the social justice space, with political messaging blanketing most of the opening minutes of the telecast and the halftime show. Slogans are in place in the back of both end zones, players linked hands in a “show of unity” (that was booed by fans despite not taking place in connection with the national anthem), and commentators made multiple references to social justice efforts. Critics of the league have claimed that they will stop watching as long as politics intrudes on sports.

Sports fatigue: Ratings for all sports, not just politically active ones, are down across the board. The twin societal hurricanes of a pandemic and racial protests have forced sports into a secondary role. Ongoing fires on the West Coast are a far more pressing concern to millions than whether Patrick Mahomes has a good day passing. It’s tough to relax with football when the world is crushing down on you.

No preseason: The typical cycle of preseason hype was completely absent this year; this was literally the first on-field football we’ve seen since the Super Bowl. While nobody really likes preseason games, per se, they serve an important purpose: priming the pump of fan interest. It’s a fair bet that many casual fans weren’t even aware the NFL was kicking off Thursday night.

Competition: While the NFL easily owned the night, it was nonetheless facing unexpected and unseasonal competition. Thursday night’s game went up against a LeBron James Lakers playoff game, a Serena Williams U.S. Open semifinal match, and a Dallas-Las Vegas Stanley Cup conference final. It’s a crowded sports calendar, and that means the audience’s attention gets spread a bit thinner.

The matchup: Multiple television ratings experts contacted by Yahoo Sports noted that the most important factor controlling NFL ratings isn’t politics or competition, it’s matchups. A good matchup between marquee teams will carry the day, and from that standpoint, Thursday night wasn’t a powerhouse showdown. The Chiefs are now one of the league’s top draws, but the Texans have struggled to draw attention on the national stage. They struggled on the field, too, falling behind 31-7 before losing 34-20.

Last year’s Packers-Bears game was a far more attractive national matchup, and was more of a competitive game, with the Packers winning 10-3. That game amassed a total viewership of 22 million.

Worth noting: advertisers still believe in the NFL and in the audience that’s watching. Pro Football Talk reported Thursday that NBC sold out its entire ad inventory for Thursday night’s game, “with revenue up double digits vs. 2019 and the average cost per 30-second spot near $900,000,” according to an NBC spokesperson.
9/11/20 2:06 PM
4/9/16

Matt Serra wishes they were even lower. As do I. 

9/11/20 2:08 PM
2/22/13

Per J.J. Watt 

“The moment of unity I personally thought was good,” the star defensive end told reporters after the game. “I mean the booing during that moment was unfortunate. I don't fully understand that. There was no flag involved. There was nothing involved other than two teams coming together to show unity.”

Is he really that dense?  Pehaps try unifying with the fans that are pissed off at the woke shit.

9/11/20 2:08 PM
1/1/01

That's actually better then I expected 

9/11/20 2:21 PM
1/12/10
sicko -

That's actually better then I expected 

Considering all the concerts and things like that that have been cancelled, you’d figure football would have a 25% increase in viewership. 

Any loss is bad. 10% is really bad. 17% is borderline disastrous. 

9/11/20 2:24 PM
10/16/07
sports fatigue?

really, they think fans are suffering sports fatigue?

we are suffering politics and news fatigue assholes...please, give us some sports.
9/11/20 2:24 PM
11/21/02

It was a matchup w the leagues star player.  I think where league will have a problem is when it’s week for and the titans are playing the lions on a Thursday.  

9/11/20 2:26 PM
1/1/01
How does 16.1 get rounded up to 17?
9/11/20 2:29 PM
6/3/03
ShortElbowInTheClinch -

Matt Serra wishes they were even lower. As do I. 

This. 

9/11/20 2:29 PM
12/1/05

Well most people watch it on their phones and tablets anyway and this probably doesn’t count multiple TVs in the same household and honestly ratings are racist. 

9/11/20 2:32 PM
12/26/05
KennyPowers55 - https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-ratings-initial-results-show-decline-for-kc-houston-kickoff-game-162037891.html

This is a developing story.

The initial wave of NFL ratings for Thursday night’s season kickoff have arrived, and the preliminary numbers are sharply down for the NFL.

According to Deadline, the Kansas City-Texas game rated a 5.2 among adults 18-49, the key demographic for advertisers, and boasted a preliminary total of 16.4 million viewers. At the moment — ratings are adjusted upward as more reports roll in — that’s a 16.1 percent drop from last year’s kickoff between the Packers and the Bears.

Critics of the league will point to the NFL’s newfound political activism as the reason for the decline. While that may well be true, ratings are an inexact science, capable of detecting action but not motivation. Possible reasons for the initial decline include:
Social justice activism: The NFL has stepped squarely into the social justice space, with political messaging blanketing most of the opening minutes of the telecast and the halftime show. Slogans are in place in the back of both end zones, players linked hands in a “show of unity” (that was booed by fans despite not taking place in connection with the national anthem), and commentators made multiple references to social justice efforts. Critics of the league have claimed that they will stop watching as long as politics intrudes on sports.

Sports fatigue: Ratings for all sports, not just politically active ones, are down across the board. The twin societal hurricanes of a pandemic and racial protests have forced sports into a secondary role. Ongoing fires on the West Coast are a far more pressing concern to millions than whether Patrick Mahomes has a good day passing. It’s tough to relax with football when the world is crushing down on you.

No preseason: The typical cycle of preseason hype was completely absent this year; this was literally the first on-field football we’ve seen since the Super Bowl. While nobody really likes preseason games, per se, they serve an important purpose: priming the pump of fan interest. It’s a fair bet that many casual fans weren’t even aware the NFL was kicking off Thursday night.

Competition: While the NFL easily owned the night, it was nonetheless facing unexpected and unseasonal competition. Thursday night’s game went up against a LeBron James Lakers playoff game, a Serena Williams U.S. Open semifinal match, and a Dallas-Las Vegas Stanley Cup conference final. It’s a crowded sports calendar, and that means the audience’s attention gets spread a bit thinner.

The matchup: Multiple television ratings experts contacted by Yahoo Sports noted that the most important factor controlling NFL ratings isn’t politics or competition, it’s matchups. A good matchup between marquee teams will carry the day, and from that standpoint, Thursday night wasn’t a powerhouse showdown. The Chiefs are now one of the league’s top draws, but the Texans have struggled to draw attention on the national stage. They struggled on the field, too, falling behind 31-7 before losing 34-20.

Last year’s Packers-Bears game was a far more attractive national matchup, and was more of a competitive game, with the Packers winning 10-3. That game amassed a total viewership of 22 million.

Worth noting: advertisers still believe in the NFL and in the audience that’s watching. Pro Football Talk reported Thursday that NBC sold out its entire ad inventory for Thursday night’s game, “with revenue up double digits vs. 2019 and the average cost per 30-second spot near $900,000,” according to an NBC spokesperson.

Fucking sports fatigue.  Exactly how the fuck could you possibly have sports fatigue?  

Everybody knows exactly why ratings are down.  You heard it in the opening of the game to the smattering of fans who showed up. This is just more bullshit.  More running cover on behalf of the woke.   

Notice even the left dope-accounts on here that keep churning out screen names won't try to delve into defense of social justice, they just stick to the bullshit scripts like russian collusion and whatnot.  I'm sure some of them believe it wholesale, they just know 70% of society utterly hates the shit, and it's virtually unsellable under any kind of scrutiny.

That's why this type of shit is so important to woke cunts.  Wokeness needs to be unchallenged.  It needs to be a dogpile, have a smokescreen, hold a baby out in front of it as a shield, etc...because enough people have caught on that it's a dishonest manipulation.

9/11/20 2:33 PM
1/1/01

31-7 I watched the game online but it was not a good game at all, I watched Netflix at the same time

9/11/20 2:36 PM
8/23/11
Charles Barkley - 

Well most people watch it on their phones and tablets anyway and this probably doesn’t count multiple TVs in the same household and honestly ratings are racist. 

do you think thats true?

I would think MOST people would watch football on their 65" 4K TV's

9/11/20 2:37 PM
8/31/10

I watched and enjoyed, but I watched through DAZN as a lot of Canadians do. I cannot fucking wait until Sunday when the full menu is laid out before us, and my fantasy teams begin their seasons. NFL is back baby and I couldn't be happier!

9/11/20 2:42 PM
1/1/01

The players are all millionaires.  No one is interested in listening to millionaires bemoan how oppressed they are.  

Get woke go broke.  Fuck them all

Edited: 9/11/20 2:44 PM
1/1/01
Mainstream sports are dead to me. Take your celebrations of rapist criminals and shove up your pandering ass's
9/11/20 2:44 PM
2/11/11
I'm not sure how they consider Packers vs Bears last year to be a better matchup than this years game. Green Bay was coming off of a 6-10 season while the Bears lost 1st round of the playoffs. Meanwhile, both KC and Houston made the playoffs last year with the Chiefs winning the whole thing. And Mahomes is the most exciting player in the league with Watson also being a top 5/7 qb.
9/11/20 2:44 PM
5/5/07

So many better sport options that night. 

9/11/20 2:47 PM
10/15/13
Charles Barkley -

I see this post everytime someone posts a thread showing the ratings decline in somethiing.

How many people do you really think are sitting at home watching a game on their phone? Seriously.

Watch it on my 65" with surround sound?

Nah Son, imma watch on my phone. 

I would say most (if not all) people watch their fantasy scores on the phone, but not the games themselves. 

9/11/20 2:48 PM
10/15/13
KennyPowers55 - I'm not sure how they consider Packers vs Bears last year to be a better matchup than this years game. Green Bay was coming off of a 6-10 season while the Bears lost 1st round of the playoffs. Meanwhile, both KC and Houston made the playoffs last year with the Chiefs winning the whole thing. And Mahomes is the most exciting player in the league with Watson also being a top 5/7 qb.

Who said that?

9/11/20 2:53 PM
8/23/11
sgotwalks - 

I watched and enjoyed, but I watched through DAZN as a lot of Canadians do. I cannot fucking wait until Sunday when the full menu is laid out before us, and my fantasy teams begin their seasons. NFL is back baby and I couldn't be happier!

da fuq is DAZN bro

Fellow CDN here but the good kind... From Toronto

9/11/20 2:53 PM
8/23/11
Al Cappucino - 
Charles Barkley -

I see this post everytime someone posts a thread showing the ratings decline in somethiing.

How many people do you really think are sitting at home watching a game on their phone? Seriously.

Watch it on my 65" with surround sound?

Nah Son, imma watch on my phone. 

I would say most (if not all) people watch their fantasy scores on the phone, but not the games themselves. 

i think he's trolling and I fell for it too
9/11/20 2:58 PM
1/1/01
"Critics of the league will point to the NFL’s newfound political activism as the reason for the decline. While that may well be true..."

I love how they already have their answer, but since it's not the one they want they feel the need to spit conjecture and hypothesize.

Reminds me a lot of Disney. "We don't know why fans are upset about the Last Jedi..."

Yes you fucking do.

We've told you, in no uncertain terms.
9/11/20 3:01 PM
1/1/01
KennyPowers55 - I'm not sure how they consider Packers vs Bears last year to be a better matchup than this years game. Green Bay was coming off of a 6-10 season while the Bears lost 1st round of the playoffs. Meanwhile, both KC and Houston made the playoffs last year with the Chiefs winning the whole thing. And Mahomes is the most exciting player in the league with Watson also being a top 5/7 qb.

I can't tell if you're trolling or are a moron

9/11/20 3:02 PM
1/1/01
Lancifer - "Critics of the league will point to the NFL’s newfound political activism as the reason for the decline. While that may well be true..."

I love how they already have their answer, but since it's not the one they want they feel the need to spit conjecture and hypothesize.

Reminds me a lot of Disney. "We don't know why fans are upset about the Last Jedi..."

Yes you fucking do.

We've told you, in no uncertain terms.

This.

It was made pretty obvious when fans booed last night.