OtherGround Forums NFL runningbacks only union

10 days ago
4/30/13

So there’s a rumor going around that key NFL runningbacks are trying to create their own union to help lock in the contracts they want.

if this were to happen I think it will be the downfall of the NFL. Imagine having to deal with each union, QB, RB, WR, OL, DL, LB, etc. it would be a huge mess. Contracts would skyrocket because they could each individually hold the nfl by the balls, and as a consequence small market teams would go under.

i for one can’t believe this is even being talked about. The greatest sport, and the greatest league could be in serious trouble IF this were to materialize.

10 days ago
1/1/01

First running backs, next longsnappers. 

Running backs have the shortest shelf life. All this would do is put a premium on them in the draft and as rookies. 

They have no leverage. 

10 days ago
3/22/09
DaveFu -

Running backs have the shortest shelf life. All this would do is put a premium on them in the draft and as rookies. 

They have no leverage. 

This. The standard rookie deal is longer than the average career 

10 days ago
10/14/03
Is this fronted by Leveon Bell?

Dude left 15 million on the table to prove a point.

He lost.
10 days ago
1/1/01

Great running backs need great everything else. 

10 days ago
3/13/02
If they want more money, play receiver.
10 days ago
3/21/12
I sometimes miss the days of running backs being the star but they'll never come back.
10 days ago
1/1/01

Seattles blunder against New England should tell you how "important" individual running backs are in the modern NFL. 

10 days ago
8/31/18

I think there can be a lot done towards restructuring deals for rbs. But why not at least try to do it through the players union. Makin a seperate one seems kind of eh

10 days ago
12/26/05

But the RBs are not the brightest. 

If they all make their own unions, what's gonna happen is the O linemen and QBs will be crushing it.

10 days ago
5/10/08
dchi07 - 
DaveFu -

They have no leverage. 

This. The standard rookie deal is longer than the average career 

Which is why the running backs are fucked...

After the Gurley deal... most teams would be better off drafting out of college, using the standard 4 year deal.

If it is a 1st round pick, extend for the 5th year. 

Then Franchise Tag 1st year

Then Franchise Tag 2nd year.

Then cut.

If I were a running back, I would form my own union.  Your interests are not aligned with the rest of the players positions.

If I were players, I would also push to keep QB contracts separate from the Team Cap (meaning have a cap independent of QB contracts).  Because the main problem is that as the total cap goes up, QB contracts take the lions share of any increase.  It is kind of idiotic.  Also - with current league rules, a decent QB can easily have a 15+ year career...

10 days ago
7/19/11
CavemanDave -

But the RBs are not the brightest. 

If they all make their own unions, what's gonna happen is the O linemen and QBs will be crushing it.

Ha! But yeah the player’s union can’t even hold the NFL by the balls, no way some sub-union is going to have any more leverage. Especially one comprised of RBs, and especially as the value of a RB is at an all time low.

10 days ago
3/12/14

Guaranteed contracts is the thing the players should fight for. 

An individual position sub union will never work.

10 days ago
10/20/09

Good. Fuck the NFL. And the ncaa and the naacp 

10 days ago
12/10/09
tonyromosbackspasm -

So there’s a rumor going around that key NFL runningbacks are trying to create their own union to help lock in the contracts they want.

if this were to happen I think it will be the downfall of the NFL. Imagine having to deal with each union, QB, RB, WR, OL, DL, LB, etc. it would be a huge mess. Contracts would skyrocket because they could each individually hold the nfl by the balls, and as a consequence small market teams would go under.

i for one can’t believe this is even being talked about. The greatest sport, and the greatest league could be in serious trouble IF this were to materialize.

No. They wouldn’t have any more individual leverage than they do right now. Have you ever worked in a union shop?

10 days ago
12/10/09

So no more changing positions, right?

“I’m a RB, I’m not going to split out wide in the 2 min drill.” 

That is what youll get.