5 days ago
1/1/01

So I have been to NYC a few times but always for work. This time I'm going to have a couple extra days so I'm bring the wife and our son with. Any tips or pointers would be appreciated. I'm not really interested in seeing the typical tourist stuff like the statue of liberty or the Empire state building. 

5 days ago
1/1/01

Try to score some big cash....rob a bank and hide the money.   If you get caught, NY will let you go. 

5 days ago
1/1/01
Cire -

Try to score some big cash....rob a bank and hide the money.   If you get caught, NY will let you go. 

Tempting but I would like to set a better example for my son.

5 days ago
12/17/06

I haven't been, but apparently they opened a new FAO Schwarz on Rockefeller. 

If your kid is still young.. 

5 days ago
2/11/11

Central Park is awesome. 

5 days ago
1/1/01

Take a ride on the Staten Island Ferry. You get a great view of the city and Statue of Liberty from the water. Pack some snacks and enjoy the ride to NJ and back.

People pay a lot of money for cruises on the river, but the ferry is free and pretty much the same thing.

Unless it's really cold...then it's a shitty idea.

Nevermind...

5 days ago
1/1/01
billyball2 - Take a ride on the Staten Island Ferry. You get a great view of the city and Statue of Liberty from the water. Pack some snacks and enjoy the ride to NJ and back.

People pay a lot of money for cruises on the river, but the ferry is free and pretty much the same thing.

Unless it's really cold...then it's a shitty idea.

Nevermind...

Thanks. Wife heard the same thing.

5 days ago
1/1/01
JoeVIP -
Cire -

Tempting but I would like to set a better example for my son.

"my dear boy, in a sane state this would be illegal. don't move to a liberal shithole. "

5 days ago
4/20/11

Go to the Top of the Rock in Rockefeller Center. It is expensive - I think I spent like $30 as an adult... but maybe it's cheaper if you look online? 

However the views are absolutely stunning on a clear day. You can probably see 20 miles all around. You can see every borough, the goings-on on the river, every part of Manhattan, Central Park, you'll be standing next to the top of the adjacent skyscrapers, etc. 

It's expensive but really breathtaking. Highly recommended.

5 days ago
1/14/07

Walk the high line. It's an amazing newish elevated park in Manhattan built from an abandoned train track and we used to climb up there and walk around as kids.

5 days ago
2/14/10

How old is your kid?

3 days ago
1/1/01
IronHands -

How old is your kid?

3 days ago
3/1/10

Go to Chinatown.

Some of the best and most famous Chinese restaurants in the city, which typically have lines out the door, are easy in/out because tourists are terrified of coronavirus (no reported cases in NYC).

3 days ago
10/15/13

Hunts Point is a nice, exciting area

Image result for hunts point

3 days ago
10/15/13

Michael Scott recommends authentic Italian.....

Image result for Sbarros in NYC

2 days ago
12/15/02

the museum of natural history will be the experience of a lifetime for your kiddo.

walk around and shop in soho.

check out the chelsea flea and the highline.

get some pizza at John's of bleecker or keste.

2 days ago
4/1/10

What month of the year?

If it is during baseball season take the Staten Island Ferry and see a Staten Island Yankees game.

Like Vronsky said, Naturla History is amazing for everyone, but for an 11 yr old boy, it is magical. Same wiht the Met, the paintings will bore him, but he will likely love the hall of weapons and all of the armor, and the section of egyptian stuff is awesome and includes an entire temple reassembled indoors.

Central Park Zoo can be done in an hour or two, then chill in the park. Walk to the castle, or do some free fishing in the harlem meer if it isn't dead of winter. If you are here in the winter go skating at the rink.

2 days ago
1/1/11

I did not see this and made my own thread! I will join in this and let mine die lol

2 days ago
6/10/02

Museum of Natural History and Metropolitan Museum of Art cost something like $27/person for non-NYers. City residents pay a suggested donation (meaning whatever you want - we usually give them $20 for a family of 4). Now I've never seen them ask for an ID, they only ask for your zip code. Use 11375 and say you live in Forest Hills, Queens. Try not to have all your touristy I Heart NY gear on when you do this.

Great museums that should not be missed. If your 11 year old son is a good American, he will dig the arms and armour room at the Natural History.

2 days ago
1/1/11

Best New York pizza (not Sbarro) near Times Square?

Must eat street food and vendors?

Which is better, Korea Town or China Town?

Thanks for responding to my thread, Zned. I will just join on this one.

2 days ago
2/14/10
JoeVIP -
IronHands -

How old is your kid?

I took my sons to VR World on 34th and 5th a few weeks ago. It was a fun way to kill a few hours.

2 days ago
4/1/10
HoustonAleksander - 

Best New York pizza (not Sbarro) near Times Square?

Must eat street food and vendors?

Which is better, Korea Town or China Town?

Thanks for responding to my thread, Zned. I will just join on this one.

1. Take a trip down to Joe's on carmine St for a New York style slice. For the best neopolitan go to Don Antonio, right near Times Square, and get the Starita Pizza.

2. Don't eat from the Halal Guy's cart, it is a fucking cesspool.

3. Get fried chicken in Kroeatown, you can walk there. Korean fried chicken is awesome.

4. Get some Chinese style hand pulled noodles (la mian) from Little Kung Fu, either location, or get Ramen at Toto.

2 days ago
11/17/10
oldnslow -

Museum of Natural History and Metropolitan Museum of Art cost something like $27/person for non-NYers. City residents pay a suggested donation (meaning whatever you want - we usually give them $20 for a family of 4). Now I've never seen them ask for an ID, they only ask for your zip code. Use 11375 and say you live in Forest Hills, Queens. Try not to have all your touristy I Heart NY gear on when you do this.

Great museums that should not be missed. If your 11 year old son is a good American, he will dig the arms and armour room at the Natural History.

I have either not paid or paid just a couple bucks every single time ive gone to the natural history museum all while being a NJ resident

I sometimes will tell the European tourist family that they dont have to pay the listed prices or anything at all

2 days ago
11/17/10

Along the Hudson River is a promenade/bike running path that you could kill an hour or 2 on.

The intrepid, chelsea piers, people watching

2 days ago
9/19/13

As some someone that's been around the world and has also lived in NYC the past 10 years, save yourself two days.