OtherGround Forums NYC is going to sh*t.

6/1/20 9:46 AM
4/1/10

What will be left?

6/1/20 9:47 AM
1/1/01

DeBlasio’s Utopia

2/23/05
NYC
1/1/01
You and Pizza Rat fighting it out for lordship of the ruins.
6/1/20 9:48 AM
1/13/04
? Praying for all of you yanks with the crazy shit that's been going on in the last few days. Can you elaborate on your post?
Edited: 6/1/20 9:53 AM
11/17/10

15 to 20 yrs ago,my wife and I were planning on settling down in NYC

we loved the city and always wanted to live there permanently

Then i started noticing how much the city was changing into a social media kim kardashian disney fied type of place where it started becoming as fake as places like LA, with all the transplants with douchebag attitudes.

Place became overrun with bad attitude instagram types, new money assholes, real money foreigner assholes ( nothing racial or ethnic, just lots of rich euros, asians, middle easterners buying up the place), so much traffic and congestion, failing public transport, downward racist spiral of school systems, etc.

Seeing what happened during a crisis like covid and what happens during civil unrest....makes me flabbergasted at how we once wanted to settle in the city.

No thanks.  I still like to visit nyc, but FUCK ever raising a family or settling down there now

6/1/20 9:53 AM
3/18/02

elections have consequences

6/1/20 9:53 AM
4/1/10
Graduate1 - ? Praying for all of you yanks with the crazy shit that's been going on in the last few days. Can you elaborate on your post?

Sure....

Small businesses are going under. The closures are dragging on much to long. Some are trying to plan to re-open with distancing guidelines, but until the enhanced unemployment expires no one wants to return to work.

The MTA is the 800lb gorilla in the room. They are the largest municipal bond offerer in the country. Ridership is down 95%+ and the subways have become homeless encampments.

Large real estate projects are running into huge issues. One unfinihsed supertower on billionaire's row is going bankrupt, with a second possible not far behind. The Hudson Yards project is running into trouble with tenants. The city's larger tenants like Equinox have stopped paying rent.

The crime is out of control. Planned and coordinated robberies of high end boutiaques and art galleries have been the theme the last few nights. Not simple looting, but coordinated efforts.

The city is collapsing and has no leadership at the city or state level.

6/1/20 9:54 AM
4/27/17

He's the Dinkins that will get us another Giuliani

6/1/20 9:55 AM
4/20/11
the_shrike -

DeBlasio’s Utopia

This

6/1/20 9:55 AM
7/27/11
Graduate1 - ? Praying for all of you yanks with the crazy shit that's been going on in the last few days. Can you elaborate on your post?

https://abc7ny.com/looting-nyc-was-there-in-soho/6223350/

Edited: 6/1/20 9:56 AM
4/1/10
TurkishDelight - 

Dinkins gets a much worse rap than he deserves, and the turnaround in crime and flight happened at the end of his tenure.

DiBlasio is the worst thing to happen to NYC since the Halal Truck on 6th Ave.

6/1/20 9:56 AM
7/10/02
Zned - 
Graduate1 - ? Praying for all of you yanks with the crazy shit that's been going on in the last few days. Can you elaborate on your post?

Sure....

Small businesses are going under. The closures are dragging on much to long. Some are trying to plan to re-open with distancing guidelines, but until the enhanced unemployment expires no one wants to return to work.

The MTA is the 800lb gorilla in the room. They are the largest municipal bond offerer in the country. Ridership is down 95%+ and the subways have become homeless encampments.

Large real estate projects are running into huge issues. One unfinihsed supertower on billionaire's row is going bankrupt, with a second possible not far behind. The Hudson Yards project is running into trouble with tenants. The city's larger tenants like Equinox have stopped paying rent.

The crime is out of control. Planned and coordinated robberies of high end boutiaques and art galleries have been the theme the last few nights. Not simple looting, but coordinated efforts.

Yikes. And that's no "the sky is falling" doomsday paranoia, it's actually what's going on. I'm sure it can and will be reversed, but consequences can be long lasting.

6/1/20 9:56 AM
1/13/04
Zned - 

Sure....

Didn't realize it was that grim. I have been to NYC 3 times (last time with my kids about 5 years ago) and had a blast each time I was there and met a ton of great people. Here's hoping all of your points you posted is short-term because I would definitely go back - it's a great city..
Edited: 6/1/20 10:00 AM
4/1/10
Sprawl'n'Stall - 
Zned - 

Sure....

Yikes. And that's no "the sky is falling" doomsday paranoia, it's actually what's going on. I'm sure it can and will be reversed, but consequences can be long lasting.

I have never been a conspiracy or doomsdayer.... but it will take a long time for NYC to recover, if it does.

God help us if the MTA bonds have issues.

The potential real estate bankruptcies are frightening. Steinway Tower has missed all of the construction deadlines and investors and buyers and step out now. Who knows what the hell is going on at Hudson Yards.

Workers aren't going to come back. Some will, sure, but a lot of firms are going to disperse workflow outside of NYC. Goldman Sachs and Citi have said so explicitly.

6/1/20 9:57 AM
2/25/03
BigEyedFish -

elections have consequences

Yep. 

6/1/20 9:57 AM
9/26/10

im really trying to stay away from news for the next two weeks. are we talking about looting and rioting, or is this just about COVID fallout? 

6/1/20 9:59 AM
7/27/11

Did any of you see this?

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/05/31/report-nyc-mayor-bill-de-blasio-daughter-arrested-at-protest/

You can’t make this shit up.

6/1/20 10:01 AM
4/1/10
ufc98newb - 

im really trying to stay away from news for the next two weeks. are we talking about looting and rioting, or is this just about COVID fallout? 

I haven't watched network News since the first week of March. All my news comes from my Bloomberg terminal in my living room.

I feel it has been good for my mental health.

6/1/20 10:02 AM
3/18/02
ufc98newb - 

Hi I can help. 

I just came off a 2 week MSM haiatus (except a few minutes of watching CNN hoping the rioters would get into studio and drag producers and anchors out by their broken necks). 

according to the news, covid is gone.  

we have moved onto the next crisis that trump created 

6/1/20 10:02 AM
4/1/10
Uhtred Ragnarson - 

Did any of you see this?

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/05/31/report-nyc-mayor-bill-de-blasio-daughter-arrested-at-protest/

You can’t make this shit up.

I am guessing we will hear what a hero she is in between episodes of the Cuomo Bros.

6/1/20 10:03 AM
11/19/08

We’ve given each other shit in the past on here, Mike. But we can both come together and agree how fuckin terrible this is. 

6/1/20 10:04 AM
4/1/10
garythekid - 

We’ve given each other shit in the past on here, Mike. But we can both come together and agree how fuckin terrible this is. 

My BIL is in the same business as you. He was in midtown the last few days. What he has reported back is just depressing.

Stay safe man.

6/1/20 10:05 AM
11/17/10
Zned -
TurkishDelight - 

Dinkins gets a much worse rap than he deserves, and the turnaround in crime and flight happened at the end of his tenure.

DiBlasio is the worst thing to happen to NYC since the Halal Truck on 6th Ave.

deblasio is certainly the WORST thing to happen to NYC...and i dont think there should be much argument about that, even though he has ardent supporters

im not one to make black and white statements about things or people, but man, DeBlasio is seriously one of the worst people ive paid attn to, as far as local politicians and leaders

on top of having overly progressive ideals, when his policies fail or negatives come out of them, he never takes any responsibility and always blames "the administration" (trump or Cuomo) for not helping NYC enough or fast enough

the way he tried to blame Trump and White Nationalism for the anti semitic attacks and his hiring of carranza to head the public schools was disgusting

6/1/20 10:06 AM
11/19/08
Zned -
garythekid - 

My BIL is in the same business as you. He was in midtown the last few days. What he has reported back is just depressing.

Stay safe man.

Thanks. Nothing too bad in Sunnyside/Woodside yet.