OtherGround Forums NYC is going to sh*t.

6/1/20 10:07 AM
11/17/10
Uhtred Ragnarson -

Did any of you see this?

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/05/31/report-nyc-mayor-bill-de-blasio-daughter-arrested-at-protest/

You can’t make this shit up.

funny she doesnt look like the type to be an "Activist" or "protestor"...i'm shocked

Edited: 6/1/20 10:09 AM
4/1/10

I feel really awful about it, and about myself for thinking it, but when I saw the video of a cop push a girl down in the street in Manhattan, and the videos of them pushing through crowds in the SUVs I smiled and said out loud, "good for you".

This stuff is fucking with my head.

6/1/20 10:10 AM
3/28/02
Zned -
ufc98newb - 

im really trying to stay away from news for the next two weeks. are we talking about looting and rioting, or is this just about COVID fallout? 

I haven't watched network News since the first week of March. All my news comes from my Bloomberg terminal in my living room.

I feel it has been good for my mental health.

Smart move

i mostly read reuters and the economist.  Which i had a bberg.

we are probably moving to westchester.  Space, schools, quiet....

Been in southern Delaware since March and not missing NYC too much

NYC was a horror show after 9/11 so my guess is that it will recover eventually again but may be rather different.  

6/1/20 10:10 AM
11/17/10
Zned -
Sprawl'n'Stall - 
Zned - 
Graduate1 - ? Praying for all of you yanks with the crazy shit that's been going on in the last few days. Can you elaborate on your post?

Sure....

Small businesses are going under. The closures are dragging on much to long. Some are trying to plan to re-open with distancing guidelines, but until the enhanced unemployment expires no one wants to return to work.

The MTA is the 800lb gorilla in the room. They are the largest municipal bond offerer in the country. Ridership is down 95%+ and the subways have become homeless encampments.

Large real estate projects are running into huge issues. One unfinihsed supertower on billionaire's row is going bankrupt, with a second possible not far behind. The Hudson Yards project is running into trouble with tenants. The city's larger tenants like Equinox have stopped paying rent.

The crime is out of control. Planned and coordinated robberies of high end boutiaques and art galleries have been the theme the last few nights. Not simple looting, but coordinated efforts.

The city is collapsing and has no leadership at the city or state level.

Yikes. And that's no "the sky is falling" doomsday paranoia, it's actually what's going on. I'm sure it can and will be reversed, but consequences can be long lasting.

I have never been a conspiracy or doomsdayer.... but it will take a long time for NYC to recover, if it does.

God help us if the MTA bonds have issues.

The potential real estate bankruptcies are frightening. Steinway Tower has missed all of the construction deadlines and investors and buyers and step out now. Who knows what the hell is going on at Hudson Yards.

Workers aren't going to come back. Some will, sure, but a lot of firms are going to disperse workflow outside of NYC. Goldman Sachs and Citi have said so explicitly.

greaty point about the bonds, i didnt even think of that

my wife and the rest of suburbia that relies on MTA (and NJT) to commute to and from work absolutely hate it

it is the bane of their existence

now with ridership evaporated, on top of their terrible reputation and breakdown/simultaneous real depreciation of their infrastructure.....nobody wants to deal with public transport anymore

it didnt used to be like this....it was considered one of the top 3 public transport systems in the world and people here loved it and actually sang its praises at one point

no longer, and it will take a very lpong time for NYC to come back to its "normal" self...at least as long as it takes for the MTA to fix its shit

6/1/20 10:14 AM
4/1/10

How is your town holding up Limbo?

The virus reaked fucking havoc on my inlaws near you, it was awful. The whole town had it bad.

Keep staying well bud.

Edited: 6/1/20 10:18 AM
4/1/10

NYC has had riots and looting in the past, but I don't know if there was ever a time when it was happening in all five boroughs at once.

The coordinated robberies of Gucci and Chanel and Coach in SoHo and Midtown make things even more alarming because it isn't just acting out, these are planned and coordinated crime sprees going on.

6/1/20 10:19 AM
10/16/10
In Limbo - 
Zned -
TurkishDelight - 

He's the Dinkins that will get us another Giuliani

Dinkins gets a much worse rap than he deserves, and the turnaround in crime and flight happened at the end of his tenure.

DiBlasio is the worst thing to happen to NYC since the Halal Truck on 6th Ave.

deblasio is certainly the WORST thing to happen to NYC...and i dont think there should be much argument about that, even though he has ardent supporters

im not one to make black and white statements about things or people, but man, DeBlasio is seriously one of the worst people ive paid attn to, as far as local politicians and leaders

on top of having overly progressive ideals, when his policies fail or negatives come out of them, he never takes any responsibility and always blames "the administration" (trump or Cuomo) for not helping NYC enough or fast enough

the way he tried to blame Trump and White Nationalism for the anti semitic attacks and his hiring of carranza to head the public schools was disgusting

How did he ever get elected? Watching him during the DNC debates, it was clear he's as extreme as anyone in the DSA.
6/1/20 10:25 AM
4/1/10

I loved New York.

I have worked in midtown for 20+ years.

I have always been an avid lover of this city and everything that surrounds it.

The last few years I toyed with the idea of leaving, but couldn't pull the trigger.

It has felt like breaking up with a long time girlfriend.

There is a feeling of it being over now.

6/1/20 10:25 AM
1/1/01
I've heard about and will looking at the news on agenda free tv. It was posted in a different thread. Seems just like the old news without everyones spin
6/1/20 10:27 AM
1/9/02
Graduate1 - ? Praying for all of you yanks with the crazy shit that's been going on in the last few days. Can you elaborate on your post?

ive been on vacation for a week

I had no idea there were riots goin on until last night when I got online. this, like COVID, is mostly a city problem

6/1/20 10:28 AM
1/1/01

Edited: 6/1/20 10:28 AM
11/17/10
Zned -

The virus reaked fucking havoc on my inlaws near you, it was awful. The whole town had it bad.

Keep staying well bud.

we had some of the earliest cases

my son's babysitter (who picks him up from school everyday for the past couple of years) and her entire family got it and were among the 1st cases...but they are all ok and didnt suffer much at all

so that was def a close hit to home

my good neighbor down the block had his 50 yr old brother (w 2 young kids) die from Covid

how is your building doing during thistime?  lots of old people in those coops right?

6/1/20 10:30 AM
1/1/01

Lawyers firebombing cop cars, not a good sign! 

6/1/20 10:31 AM
11/17/10
gregbrady -
Graduate1 - ? Praying for all of you yanks with the crazy shit that's been going on in the last few days. Can you elaborate on your post?

I had no idea there were riots goin on until last night when I got online. this, like COVID, is mostly a city problem

same here

i just tuned into the news early yesterday and only realized then that riots were going on just 15 miles away in NYC

so disgusting

i cannot see how anyone (who is not a young carefree person) ever wanting to settle down, raise a family, live in NYC these days (or any other large coastal city)

6/1/20 10:31 AM
4/1/10

How did he ever get elected?

I believe affordable housing was the main platform item that got him elected.

He ran a campaign slogan based on "A Tale of Two Cities".

He has done nothing for his consituents. The affordable housing he promised in Brooklyn isn't affordable at all (the designated rental units in the Williamsburgh construction projects earmarked have starting rents of $2500).

Who knows what happened to the $900 million his wife pissed away on the mental health program.

Schools are shit and they openly disciriminate against asians in the school board. For Christ's sake, a school board member refers to Asians as yellow people. WTF? 

Who runs next, Stringer?

I don't see any hope for NYC.

6/1/20 10:32 AM
1/10/11
Zned -

What will be left?

Be safe it’s really bad 

6/1/20 10:33 AM
4/1/10
In Limbo - 
gregbrady -

same here

i just tuned into the news early yesterday and only realized then that riots were going on just 15 miles away in NYC

so disgusting

i cannot see how anyone (who is not a young carefree person) ever wanting to settle down, raise a family, live in NYC these days (or any other large coastal city)

I walked to JC yesterday. Stopped in Hoboken and got an Aperol sprotz from the window of an Italian restaurant.

By the time I made it home a friend in JC sent us photos of burning businesses by her apartment.

1/6/20

Libtards are ruining the entire country.

11/17/10
Stache -
In Limbo - 
Zned -
TurkishDelight - 

He's the Dinkins that will get us another Giuliani

Dinkins gets a much worse rap than he deserves, and the turnaround in crime and flight happened at the end of his tenure.

DiBlasio is the worst thing to happen to NYC since the Halal Truck on 6th Ave.

deblasio is certainly the WORST thing to happen to NYC...and i dont think there should be much argument about that, even though he has ardent supporters

im not one to make black and white statements about things or people, but man, DeBlasio is seriously one of the worst people ive paid attn to, as far as local politicians and leaders

on top of having overly progressive ideals, when his policies fail or negatives come out of them, he never takes any responsibility and always blames "the administration" (trump or Cuomo) for not helping NYC enough or fast enough

the way he tried to blame Trump and White Nationalism for the anti semitic attacks and his hiring of carranza to head the public schools was disgusting

How did he ever get elected? Watching him during the DNC debates, it was clear he's as extreme as anyone in the DSA.

obv more complicated and people liked whatever proposals he had for whatever reason

but this is a big part of it and his slogan is "striving to make NYC the FAIREST city in the world"

his wife is a "former lesbian"

his daughter is a typical NYU brat activist type

and his son's Afro was , no joke, a huge part of his campaign trail when he first ran....

6/1/20 10:34 AM
5/31/07
Damn. Sad
Edited: 6/1/20 10:38 AM
4/1/10
In Limbo - 
Zned -

Keep staying well bud.

we had some of the earliest cases

my son's babysitter (who picks him up from school everyday for the past couple of years) and her entire family got it and were among the 1st cases...but they are all ok and didnt suffer much at all

so that was def a close hit to home

my good neighbor down the block had his 50 yr old brother (w 2 young kids) die from Covid

how is your building doing during thistime?  lots of old people in those coops right?

My sister in law lost her mother, it was really sad. Her brother and his wife and their whole family got it but recovered.

Glen Rock was a mess.

We lost a few in my building, mostly over the age of 75, but it is still sad to see new memorials popping up in the lobby.

There are several cars on BLVD East that had piles of tickets on them. Then notes were left saying the owner died of covid. Now they have candles and flowers on them. I wish they would move them as bad as it sounds.

6/1/20 10:41 AM
10/16/10
Thanks guys. This is all so surreal.
6/1/20 10:42 AM
12/10/16

Liberals are burning all of their own cities down. 

6/1/20 10:43 AM
10/14/10
Zned -

NYC has had riots and looting in the past, but I don't know if there was ever a time when it was happening in all five boroughs at once.

The coordinated robberies of Gucci and Chanel and Coach in SoHo and Midtown make things even more alarming because it isn't just acting out, these are planned and coordinated crime sprees going on.

I saw they hit Rolex too.

Do they not put all their shit in big safes at night?

6/1/20 10:45 AM
1/1/01

"15 to 20 yrs ago,my wife and I were planning on settling down in NYC"

So you prefer the old murderous Gotham version of the city?