OtherGround Forums NYC is going to sh*t.

6/1/20 12:11 PM
4/1/10
Altofsky - 

How many riots has NYC seen? It's gotta be over 40.

I don't think there has ever been a time when there has been unrest in all five boroughs at once.

Manhattan was all robberies and looting, Queens and the Bronx it was target practice night with marked police cars as targets, and Brooklyn and Staten Island they were burning down businesses.

These people have had their businesses closed for three months, and now this? My heart is broken for them.

6/1/20 12:13 PM
3/18/02
Zned - 
Altofsky - 

How many riots has NYC seen? It's gotta be over 40.

I don't think there has ever been a time when there has been unrest in all five boroughs at once.

Manhattan was all robberies and looting, Queens and the Bronx it was target practice night with marked police cars as targets, and Brooklyn and Staten Island they were burning down businesses.

These people have had their businesses closed for three months, and now this? My heart is broken for them.

thats because the police have never gotten their balls cut off by govt as badly as they have over the last year.  

we also never saw NYPD being mocked and sprayed with water and told to do nothing

there has been an anti police, do what you want culture created by the govt in NY.  

Now everyone is paying the price 

6/1/20 12:13 PM
11/9/10
In Limbo -
Stache -
In Limbo - 
Zned -
TurkishDelight - 

He's the Dinkins that will get us another Giuliani

Dinkins gets a much worse rap than he deserves, and the turnaround in crime and flight happened at the end of his tenure.

DiBlasio is the worst thing to happen to NYC since the Halal Truck on 6th Ave.

deblasio is certainly the WORST thing to happen to NYC...and i dont think there should be much argument about that, even though he has ardent supporters

im not one to make black and white statements about things or people, but man, DeBlasio is seriously one of the worst people ive paid attn to, as far as local politicians and leaders

on top of having overly progressive ideals, when his policies fail or negatives come out of them, he never takes any responsibility and always blames "the administration" (trump or Cuomo) for not helping NYC enough or fast enough

the way he tried to blame Trump and White Nationalism for the anti semitic attacks and his hiring of carranza to head the public schools was disgusting

How did he ever get elected? Watching him during the DNC debates, it was clear he's as extreme as anyone in the DSA.

obv more complicated and people liked whatever proposals he had for whatever reason

but this is a big part of it and his slogan is "striving to make NYC the FAIREST city in the world"

his wife is a "former lesbian"

his daughter is a typical NYU brat activist type

and his son's Afro was , no joke, a huge part of his campaign trail when he first ran....

https://nypost.com/2020/05/31/mayor-de-blasios-daughter-chiara-arrested-at-manhattan-protest/

6/1/20 12:14 PM
1/1/01

They are just un-gentrification efforts, not riots 

6/1/20 12:14 PM
9/3/14
Zned -
ryans - Hey Ned. How are corona and the riots affecting people's politics where you hang out? People wanting a change in Biden? Or law an order in Trump?

I haven't been socializing at all.

The only people i have seen have been a few inlaws I am very close with.

Otherwise I am keeping to myself.

So, not really sure.

Well you vacationed in Italy at the beginning of the pandemic.

I HOPE you did not socialize upon your return bros.

Glad to see you are still alive.

6/1/20 12:17 PM
1/1/01

Hey, Zned.

I have been making this point with  my friends in the business - NOBODY  is talking about the banks.

The real estate market is going to be chaos for a while and that all trickles back to the banks.

EVERY single landlord is probably late on payments.  Its a pyramid. 

The Fed has been bragging about how well capitalized the banks are, but this could get really ugly.

Shutting down all businesses for this virus will go down as one of the biggest blunders in history.

6/1/20 12:18 PM
4/1/10
Altofsky - 

The draft riots killed what? 2k? More?

NY bounces back. Always.

It is riots in all fve boroughs at once.

It isn't the riots in themselves that will sink the city.

It will be the bankrupcies. Steinway Tower may be going completely belly up. There are rumblings of deep issues at Hudson Yards. Equinox and several other anchor tenants have stopped paying their rents. If Louis Vuitton's agreement changes (they are the anchor tenant that sets the rent for a huge stretch of 5th Ave, the whole neighborhood is fucked.

MTA ridership is down 95%. If the MTA bonds get into trouble we have MAJOR FUCKING PROBLEMS. The MTA is the largest issuer of municipal debt in the country.

Large employers that bring in thousands of comuters daily, such as Goldman Sachs, Citi, and BNY/Pershing are discussing dispersing segments of their workforce away from NYC, and creating buckets of departments that will operate remotely.

My firm and most others in midtown east are likely going to offer remote capability to anyone who wants it. A severe reduction in daily commuter population would be disastrous acrosss the board for everything from bodegas to high end corporate real estate.

6/1/20 12:21 PM
4/1/10
e. kaye - 

Hey, Zned.

I have been making this point with  my friends in the business - NOBODY  is talking about the banks.

The real estate market is going to be chaos for a while and that all trickles back to the banks.

EVERY single landlord is probably late on payments.  Its a pyramid. 

The Fed has been bragging about how well capitalized the banks are, but this could get really ugly.

Shutting down all businesses for this virus will go down as one of the biggest blunders in history.

Absolutely.

Also consider this, the entire market infrastructure was sent to work from home, and it worked fine. It was always said that the trading desks couldn't operate from home, nor could the exchanges. Teams needed to be in offices.

We just learned that isn't true. Even in periods of incredible volatility and disjointment, everything operated efficiently.

Look at ICE's last earnings call. On the busiest day in March, they only breached 58% of their cpacity and experienced no latency issues.

No one needs the expensive office space and towers anymore.

6/1/20 12:26 PM
11/9/10

deBlasio is an actual communist. Not like a left democrat people want call a communist. The dude uses communist slogans and dog whistles constantly.

6/1/20 12:31 PM
3/14/06

You still have Schumer, AOC, and the CNN anchors brother to hold things together. 

what could go wrong?

6/1/20 12:33 PM
7/22/04
nyc is going to shit??

Is this post from 1956
6/1/20 12:46 PM
1/1/01

Very glad I moved out of NYC

6/1/20 12:48 PM
7/8/13

If I owned a retail store, I would just close up shop for the rest of the week, and take all of my merch home, as well as anything else remotely worth stealing. Not worth the risk of staying open and just hoping your store doesn't get hit.

6/1/20 12:49 PM
1/1/01
fanat - My coworker who lives in Upper East side heard lots of police sirens outside. He was scared shitless with all the riot coverage on TV too.

For the first time in his life he is prepared to vote for Trump even though he would never admit it. This is how bad it is. lol

Both my wife and I work downtown. No idea when we will return to the office given that we take the lovely subway to work.

I miss my gym (which is right in my building) the most. I have a feeling it will go under without any members for so long!

I live on the UES and have seen zero indications of any trouble at all. Yesterday I met a friend and we walked around Carl Shurz Park, and then later I walked to Central Park and met my parents there.

My buddy participated in a march in BK (near Prospect Park) and said he saw no violence or looting, but he was probably home before dark.
6/1/20 1:02 PM
11/19/08
Tomato Can -
fanat - My coworker who lives in Upper East side heard lots of police sirens outside. He was scared shitless with all the riot coverage on TV too.

For the first time in his life he is prepared to vote for Trump even though he would never admit it. This is how bad it is. lol

Both my wife and I work downtown. No idea when we will return to the office given that we take the lovely subway to work.

I miss my gym (which is right in my building) the most. I have a feeling it will go under without any members for so long!

I live on the UES and have seen zero indications of any trouble at all. Yesterday I met a friend and we walked around Carl Shurz Park, and then later I walked to Central Park and met my parents there.

My buddy participated in a march in BK (near Prospect Park) and said he saw no violence or looting, but he was probably home before dark.

Anybody who participates in any sort of “protest” as of a few days ago is complicit in domestic terrorism at this point. 

6/1/20 1:04 PM
1/1/01

How many people here live in NYS?

1/1/01
Oh give me a fucking break.
4/1/10
garythekid - 
Tomato Can -

Anybody who participates in any sort of “protest” as of a few days ago is complicit in domestic terrorism at this point. 

This.

6/6/02
Tomato Can - 

I'm glad to hear you and your friend are ok.

Some business were looted even in Brooklyn. Now I am reading reports of possible homes being broken into.

It's probably for the best not to venture outside in the next several days.
6/1/20 1:06 PM
1/1/01
Zned - 
garythekid - 
Tomato Can -

This.

No, that's fucking moronic. I thought better of you than that.
Edited: 6/1/20 1:07 PM
11/19/08
Tomato Can - Oh give me a fucking break.

Yeah everything is fine and A-OK right?  This is all simply about one dude who got killed in Minneapolis still. Ok cool.  Nothing to see here...

6/1/20 1:10 PM
1/1/01
fanat - 
Tomato Can - 

I'm glad to hear you and your friend are ok.

Some business were looted even in Brooklyn. Now I am reading reports of possible homes being broken into.

It's probably for the best not to venture outside in the next several days.

I don't think I'll venture out any more or less than I would have anyway, given the COVID situation.

All I'm saying is these stories of the city being some sort of warzone do not jibe with my personal experience. Central Park was full of hundreds of people just hanging out enjoying the weather.

This is a bad convergence of events but I have confidence the city is going to be OK.
Edited: 6/1/20 1:12 PM
4/1/10

No, that's fucking moronic. I thought better of you than that.

People were firing guns at, and hitting marked police cars in Far Rockaway last night.

Looting has turned into coordinated robbery efforts across midtown and SoHo.

There are multiple instances of molotav cocktails being thrown at police officers.

Police vehicles are being set on fire.

It is time to restore law and order.

It is much more than a convergence of bad events.

6/1/20 1:11 PM
4/20/20
garythekid -
Tomato Can -

Bullshit 

6/1/20 1:11 PM
12/17/06
Zned - 
Altofsky - 

The draft riots killed what? 2k? More?

NY bounces back. Always.

It is riots in all fve boroughs at once.

It isn't the riots in themselves that will sink the city.

It will be the bankrupcies. Steinway Tower may be going completely belly up. There are rumblings of deep issues at Hudson Yards. Equinox and several other anchor tenants have stopped paying their rents. If Louis Vuitton's agreement changes (they are the anchor tenant that sets the rent for a huge stretch of 5th Ave, the whole neighborhood is fucked.

MTA ridership is down 95%. If the MTA bonds get into trouble we have MAJOR FUCKING PROBLEMS. The MTA is the largest issuer of municipal debt in the country.

Large employers that bring in thousands of comuters daily, such as Goldman Sachs, Citi, and BNY/Pershing are discussing dispersing segments of their workforce away from NYC, and creating buckets of departments that will operate remotely.

My firm and most others in midtown east are likely going to offer remote capability to anyone who wants it. A severe reduction in daily commuter population would be disastrous acrosss the board for everything from bodegas to high end corporate real estate.

I don't doubt for a second the massive negative impact it will have.

But you know as well as I do that the city always finds a way back.

More importantly, keep your sexy ass safe. I still owe you a stiff drink or two. Maybe some fresh antipasto or something.