OtherGround Forums Nephew is Into Metal Core? WTF is it?

3/12/19 2:54 PM
10/9/10
Ryann Von Doom -
MasterofMartialArts -
Sprawl'n'Stall - While I'm an old school metal guy, I'm no "metal elitist". For example, I love Slipknot. But no metalcore band has ever done it for me. Sounds like pure teen stuff as opposed to deeper, more "adult man" stuff.

Newer metalcore has zero depth, and is incredibly repetitive/dull. OG Metalcore is actual structured, technical, well-written music. Check out Poison the Well - Opposite of December or even Killswitch Engage - Alive or Just Breathing as examples. 

There very few bands who make great metalcore but they do exist. Some are still around from the early days. I think there will somewhat of a resurgence in the next 4-5 years. 

BTW I can’t wait until the next Slipknot drops. I’m fucking psyched! 

Good post till the last sentence. 

Get him some early metalxcore like earth crisis, gorilla buscuits etc... 

The shit you posted is good too. That’s the generation before me, the bands I posted is what I grew up listening to and was the heaviest shit I had heard up to that point. 

Those bands you posted are pioneers, Earth Crisis is like the early sound of metalcore. I like it all though. Destroy the Machines is right up there with some of the best metalcore/hardcore records, innovative and very unique during that time. I do miss the straight edge movement, I’ve seen a few recent bands that follow that lifestyle though.  

If i were just getting somebody into metalcore though, I wouldn’t start there. I would start with Killswitch Engage, something more accessible before you get them into something heavier and more raw. Maybe even Shai Hulud or Haste the Day. But there are TONS of great bands of different styles and eras. Hearts Once Nourished With Love and Compassion is one of the earliest examples of textbook metalcore you can find. 

3/12/19 2:57 PM
10/9/10
MasterRooster -
MasterofMartialArts -

Shai Hulud is siiiiiick.. 

The opening sequence of Solely Focusing on the Negative is beautiful. HONWHAC is such a great album. It’s too bad they peaked before metalcore became more popular. 

3/12/19 2:59 PM
10/9/10
anthonyMI -

Metalcore peaked nearly 20 years ago. It is what all the kids were listening to in the mid-2000s.

Metalcore starting becoming more commercial about 20 years ago, and the actual genre started nearly a decade before that. But I graduated in 2006 and can confirm it is what all the kids were listening to during that time. However, most of them stopped a couple years later when it wasn’t “cool” enough for them anymore. 

3/12/19 3:00 PM
10/31/11

One of the heaviest albums eva imo.

3/12/19 3:03 PM
10/31/11

I grew up listening to Poison the Well, Norma Jean, suicide silence, BTBAM etc. Still listen to all the old shit when I hit the gym but there are some really good newer bands around. 

Check out Harms Way, End, and Jesus Piece. Hopesfall put out an album recently that is really good and they’ve been around for a long time. 

3/12/19 3:47 PM
1/14/03

3/12/19 5:00 PM
1/12/10
MasterofMartialArts -
anthonyMI -

Metalcore peaked nearly 20 years ago. It is what all the kids were listening to in the mid-2000s.

Metalcore starting becoming more commercial about 20 years ago, and the actual genre started nearly a decade before that. But I graduated in 2006 and can confirm it is what all the kids were listening to during that time. However, most of them stopped a couple years later when it wasn’t “cool” enough for them anymore. 

I love when a topic brings people like you out of the wood work and you get to showcase something you’re passionate about. 

I listened to Norma Jean when they were still Luti-Kriss. Frail Words Collapse has one of the best first songs on any album ever. And yes. Slipknot is still one of my favorite bands and they will never get old to me. I graduated in 06 as well and never hung out with the kids that listened to the music because it was cool, but because it was goos music. I’m still friends with some of the same people from HS and we all still listen to it. 

\m/

3/12/19 5:11 PM
4/2/11
MasterofMartialArts -
ABCTT_Kenny Blankenship -
MasterofMartialArts -

It’s golden age has passed, there are very few new bands that are actually talented. It’s a sub genre of metal that has elements of hardcore, death metal, heavy metal and others. Many elitists don’t consider it to be “Metal”. Others think metalcore fans are “scene kids”. Some great bands from the golden era are:

Shai Hulud

Underoath 

Norma Jean

Poison the Well

Killswitch Engage (earlier is better)

As I Lay Dying

There are plenty of others. New metalcore bands mostly suck and I’m not sure why they are considered metalcore. All of their songs are boring, mid tempo, lazy riffs and songwriting, shitty lyrics, and uninspiring, dull, whiny, clean vocals. 

You come before you is an amazing album. 

Dude it is, highly underrated. My personal favorite is Opposite of December but IMO almost all of their albums are underrated, including Versions and Tropic Rot. 

Its too bad they were a bit ahead of their time, they would be WAY more appreciated now. 

Saw poison the well live right after opposite of December dropped. 

They were fucking great.  

So much drop d chugga chugga 

3/12/19 5:50 PM
11/30/07
QuintonRammedMyPage -
MasterofMartialArts -
MasterofMartialArts -

It’s golden age has passed, there are very few new bands that are actually talented. It’s a sub genre of metal that has elements of hardcore, death metal, heavy metal and others. Many elitists don’t consider it to be “Metal”. Others think metalcore fans are “scene kids”. Some great bands from the golden era are:

Shai Hulud

Underoath 

Norma Jean

Poison the Well

Killswitch Engage (earlier is better)

As I Lay Dying

There are plenty of others. New metalcore bands mostly suck and I’m not sure why they are considered metalcore. All of their songs are boring, mid tempo, lazy riffs and songwriting, shitty lyrics, and uninspiring, dull, whiny, clean vocals. 

You come before you is an amazing album. 

Dude it is, highly underrated. My personal favorite is Opposite of December but IMO almost all of their albums are underrated, including Versions and Tropic Rot. 

Its too bad they were a bit ahead of their time, they would be WAY more appreciated now. 

Saw poison the well live right after opposite of December dropped. 

They were fucking great.  

So much drop d chugga chugga 

Such a great time to be a fan of bands like that. Love poison the well, early atreyu etc. 

3/12/19 11:16 PM
3/15/15

Thanks for replies guys! Thanks, I've heard of a quite a few of these bands but always classified them as "metal". Obviously, Killswitch. I infact did ask him what metalcore is,  was and he said it's just metal. 

Having said that,  I cannot listen to most of this. It just sounds terrible to me, like some emo guys trying to be as heavy as possible, I am finding a lot of the examples I find online to be highly repetive and mostly deep chugging riffs, etc. 

Perhaps I am just getting old. I like some older metal  like Kreator and Metallica and am even open enough to enjoy some more darker baqnds bands like Bathroy, Dark Throne, Burzum, older school black metal but I'm sorry, maybe this metal core just doesn't speak to someone my age, but it is, for the most part TERRIBLE. It sounds like just, I don't know, like a bunch of teens trying to sound hard, etc.

But perhaps I am just getting old. 

3/13/19 12:16 AM
11/20/05

Auschwitz, the meaning of pain......

3/13/19 12:21 AM
10/9/10

I grew up listening to Poison the Well, Norma Jean, suicide silence, BTBAM etc. Still listen to all the old shit when I hit the gym but there are some really good newer bands around. 

Check out Harms Way, End, and Jesus Piece. Hopesfall put out an album recently that is really good and they’ve been around for a long time. 

Hell yeah! All of those bands are great, and I have actually checked out the ones you mentioned at the bottom. My favorite is Jesus Piece out of those, another one I like is Vein. 

Dude. Arbiter is SO fucking good I can’t believe it. If any band takes a decade off and wants to reunite to make something great, take some notes from Hopesfall. For me, it’s the most brilliant thing they’ve written since Satellite Years. It sounds inspired and appropriately spacey. 

Edited: 3/13/19 12:28 AM
1/1/01
I believe that Killswitch Engage is Metalcore...fucking fanstastic music IMO:

3/13/19 12:29 AM
10/9/10
TFK_UGCTT_Sk1tzO420 -
MasterofMartialArts -
anthonyMI -

I love when a topic brings people like you out of the wood work and you get to showcase something you’re passionate about. 

I listened to Norma Jean when they were still Luti-Kriss. Frail Words Collapse has one of the best first songs on any album ever. And yes. Slipknot is still one of my favorite bands and they will never get old to me. I graduated in 06 as well and never hung out with the kids that listened to the music because it was cool, but because it was goos music. I’m still friends with some of the same people from HS and we all still listen to it. 

\m/

Absolutely man. I saw “metalcore” in the title and was like “THATS MY FUCKING SHIT” lol. 

You sound passionate about it too bro. 94 hours is a great song, Forever has one of the best intros in existence. I saw them recently and they KILLED it. Tim was a bit rusty but it’s to be expected. 

Slipknot is one of those bands that gets criticized by some metalheads, but they have evolved with each release and not one is the same. But the signature sound is there. They were the first band that got me into heavier shit like Slayer, Slipknot will always be one of my favorites. I would say I started listening to metal in 1998 or so, metalcore around 2000, and really got into it around 2002. But luckily bands like PTW and Hopesfall were still around so I heard their new records, then went back to explore their older material. 

It doesn’t matter though because even hearing those songs again they still feel new and fresh. Agreed about listening for the music cause it was never about a trend or being cool, it was just a passion for the music. 

3/13/19 12:29 AM
9/15/15
sadic1 - Hatebreed

Man I miss Headbangers ball 

3/13/19 12:30 AM
3/15/15
jman - I believe that Killswitch Engage is Metalcore...fucking fanstastic music IMO:

I just always considered them "metal". They seem *different* than what is being called metal core now.
3/13/19 12:33 AM
10/9/10
HotSteppa -

Thanks for replies guys! Thanks, I've heard of a quite a few of these bands but always classified them as "metal". Obviously, Killswitch. I infact did ask him what metalcore is,  was and he said it's just metal. 

Having said that,  I cannot listen to most of this. It just sounds terrible to me, like some emo guys trying to be as heavy as possible, I am finding a lot of the examples I find online to be highly repetive and mostly deep chugging riffs, etc. 

Perhaps I am just getting old. I like some older metal  like Kreator and Metallica and am even open enough to enjoy some more darker baqnds bands like Bathroy, Dark Throne, Burzum, older school black metal but I'm sorry, maybe this metal core just doesn't speak to someone my age, but it is, for the most part TERRIBLE. It sounds like just, I don't know, like a bunch of teens trying to sound hard, etc.

Sounds like metalcore just isn’t your thing, it’s all good. There are tons of bands to check out, you names some great ones as well. 

One band I thought of that might cater more to your style is Shadows Fall. They are labeled as Metalcore although they play more of groove/thrash/hardcore fused style, but they have enough elements of it that might be a good gateway to bands more firmly planted in the genre. 

3/13/19 12:33 AM
10/9/10

3/13/19 12:40 AM
10/9/10
HotSteppa -
jman - I believe that Killswitch Engage is Metalcore...fucking fanstastic music IMO:

I just always considered them "metal". They seem *different* than what is being called metal core now.

I mean, they are metal. Metalcore is still metal. I’m sure there could be a debate on this as people have different schools of thought, but metalcore is a fusion of extreme metal/hardcore. Which is a great combination. 

KsE is different from what is called Metalcore now. Some bands that are labeled like that these days are Of Mice and Men, the Amity Affliction, Asking Alexandria. The genre is jam packed full of these bands. They all sound the same. Generic midtempo songs, no dynamics, cheesy lyrics, whiny clean vocals. Virtually no elements of metalcore. If those are the best you’ve checked out, then it makes sense that you think it’s basically emo. But even saying that is a disservice to emo. 

3/13/19 2:47 AM
7/31/09
ChaosOverkill -

Metal for people who take it WAY too fucking seriously.

Unlike every other branch of metal? 

3/13/19 3:34 AM
11/30/07
Thewandi -
sadic1 - Hatebreed

Man I miss Headbangers ball 

Yeah man, i really miss the show that has 80% of the show filled with bands that arent metal then 20% at the end of the metal bands that should have been featured in the first place. 

3/13/19 4:12 AM
1/7/06

in

3/13/19 4:50 AM
1/11/11

In

3/13/19 5:25 AM
3/6/14

sorry your nephew is gay op.

3/13/19 6:29 AM
2/13/16
HotSteppa -

Idk I mostly listen to black metal these days, but early metal core is what got me ok with bands screaming and shit.

check out triviums ascendancy.  That’s a metalcore classic, without that album I never would’ve picked up a guitar.