OtherGround Forums Nephew is Into Metal Core? WTF is it?

3/13/19 7:13 AM
11/5/18

Tell him to jamm that old Shai hulud and get into some.good hardcore not the bullshit of today but he'll even go back to the 07 or 08 area of hardcore

3/13/19 7:26 AM
10/8/07

Howard's(kse) new band is pretty good. Not on the level of kse but still good.

3/14/19 12:38 AM
10/9/10
Darth Potato -
HotSteppa -

Thanks for replies guys! Thanks, I've heard of a quite a few of these bands but always classified them as "metal". Obviously, Killswitch. I infact did ask him what metalcore is,  was and he said it's just metal. 

Having said that,  I cannot listen to most of this. It just sounds terrible to me, like some emo guys trying to be as heavy as possible, I am finding a lot of the examples I find online to be highly repetive and mostly deep chugging riffs, etc. 

Perhaps I am just getting old. I like some older metal  like Kreator and Metallica and am even open enough to enjoy some more darker baqnds bands like Bathroy, Dark Throne, Burzum, older school black metal but I'm sorry, maybe this metal core just doesn't speak to someone my age, but it is, for the most part TERRIBLE. It sounds like just, I don't know, like a bunch of teens trying to sound hard, etc.

But perhaps I am just getting old. 

Idk I mostly listen to black metal these days, but early metal core is what got me ok with bands screaming and shit.

check out triviums ascendancy.  That’s a metalcore classic, without that album I never would’ve picked up a guitar.

Great fucking album 

3/14/19 7:01 AM
2/13/16
MasterofMartialArts -
HotSteppa -

Thanks for replies guys! Thanks, I've heard of a quite a few of these bands but always classified them as "metal". Obviously, Killswitch. I infact did ask him what metalcore is,  was and he said it's just metal. 

Having said that,  I cannot listen to most of this. It just sounds terrible to me, like some emo guys trying to be as heavy as possible, I am finding a lot of the examples I find online to be highly repetive and mostly deep chugging riffs, etc. 

Perhaps I am just getting old. I like some older metal  like Kreator and Metallica and am even open enough to enjoy some more darker baqnds bands like Bathroy, Dark Throne, Burzum, older school black metal but I'm sorry, maybe this metal core just doesn't speak to someone my age, but it is, for the most part TERRIBLE. It sounds like just, I don't know, like a bunch of teens trying to sound hard, etc.

Sounds like metalcore just isn’t your thing, it’s all good. There are tons of bands to check out, you names some great ones as well. 

One band I thought of that might cater more to your style is Shadows Fall. They are labeled as Metalcore although they play more of groove/thrash/hardcore fused style, but they have enough elements of it that might be a good gateway to bands more firmly planted in the genre. 

Yeah idk why shadows fall fell into that label.. maybe because they’re from New England during that time?

3/14/19 7:02 AM
2/13/16
MasterofMartialArts -
Darth Potato -
HotSteppa -

Idk I mostly listen to black metal these days, but early metal core is what got me ok with bands screaming and shit.

check out triviums ascendancy.  That’s a metalcore classic, without that album I never would’ve picked up a guitar.

Great fucking album 

Seriously, they kinda pioneered a certain kind of riff on that album, IMO.

Latest album is pretty good too.

3/14/19 7:33 AM
6/27/15
Just listened to about 50 seconds of TA, total shit.

HS is right for once, also DP what was that certain kind of riff? that they "kinda" pioneered?

You drama/genre queens are the biggest idiots on the planet.
3/14/19 7:34 AM
9/19/12

Parkway Drive- carrion

Good uplifting song. Check it out

3/14/19 2:41 PM
10/9/10
Darth Potato -
MasterofMartialArts -
HotSteppa -

Sounds like metalcore just isn’t your thing, it’s all good. There are tons of bands to check out, you names some great ones as well. 

One band I thought of that might cater more to your style is Shadows Fall. They are labeled as Metalcore although they play more of groove/thrash/hardcore fused style, but they have enough elements of it that might be a good gateway to bands more firmly planted in the genre. 

Yeah idk why shadows fall fell into that label.. maybe because they’re from New England during that time?

Yeah I suppose so.... heavy and aggressive music coming from the New England area in the late 90s, it’s gotta be hardcore or metalcore! 

Also perhaps because Metalcore wasn’t really a commonly used term back then since it hadn’t really been defined. Plus Brian Fair was the vocalist of Overcast before, so maybe later on Shadows Fall was pegged as MC because Overcast was one of the earlier MC bands. I’d actually argue that SF is among the short list of bands (in this “sub genre”) that fuses that many styles together successfully, hard to even say what their primary “thing” is. 

3/14/19 2:59 PM
6/22/09

Punk began in the 70’s, bled into hardcore evolution in the 80’s.  90’s hardcore resurgence mixed with metal and became “metal-core” with bands coming out of the “hardcore” scene playing metal riffs with hardcore type gang vocals and whatnot.  This bled into “emo” core which was metal/hardcore with sweater vests and thick rimmed glasses.  All became swallowed up by commercialized “emo” and “metalcore” with skinny jeans and makeup, heavy riffs and melodic vocals.  

Metal has its own pure trajectory but metal-core is a hybrid IMO.  

Great examples of this by other posters but really I like metal core better than “pure metal” because it has more listenable varying ups and downs, whereas I find traditional metal to be flat and basic.  

Thats all I have to say about that.

3/14/19 3:02 PM
3/15/15
Zeke Dynasty - 

Punk began in the 70’s, bled into hardcore evolution in the 80’s.  90’s hardcore resurgence mixed with metal and became “metal-core” with bands coming out of the “hardcore” scene playing metal riffs with hardcore type gang vocals and whatnot.  This bled into “emo” core which was metal/hardcore with sweater vests and thick rimmed glasses.  All became swallowed up by commercialized “emo” and “metalcore” with skinny jeans and makeup, heavy riffs and melodic vocals.  

Great examples of this by other posters but really I like metal core better than “pure metal” because it has more listenable varying ups and downs, whereas I find traditional metal to be flat and basic.  

Actually thrash metal in the 80s was greatly influenced by HC and punk, skate culture, and early metal. Don't forget that.
3/14/19 3:10 PM
6/22/09
HotSteppa -
Zeke Dynasty - 

Actually thrash metal in the 80s was greatly influenced by HC and punk, skate culture, and early metal. Don't forget that.

Yah totally forgot Thrash which is a different development, 100% correct

3/14/19 3:20 PM
6/22/09
ABCTT_Kenny Blankenship -

I grew up listening to Poison the Well, Norma Jean, suicide silence, BTBAM etc. Still listen to all the old shit when I hit the gym but there are some really good newer bands around. 

Check out Harms Way, End, and Jesus Piece. Hopesfall put out an album recently that is really good and they’ve been around for a long time. 

BTBAM “The Great Misdirect” is my favorite album of theirs.  It’s a journey through the best metal riffs ever, mixed violently with classic rock breakdowns and 70’s style dueling guitar solos, such a masterpeice unrivaled by anything anyone has ever attempted to my knowledge.

Norma Jean is the bomb too, I really like the post-metal alternative heavy rock project he sings for now Hundred Suns it carries the evolution of his style forwardninto a more “radio ready” sound.  Good stuff if you dig his vox.

3/14/19 3:27 PM
2/13/16
Zeke Dynasty -

I grew up listening to Poison the Well, Norma Jean, suicide silence, BTBAM etc. Still listen to all the old shit when I hit the gym but there are some really good newer bands around. 

Check out Harms Way, End, and Jesus Piece. Hopesfall put out an album recently that is really good and they’ve been around for a long time. 

BTBAM “The Great Misdirect” is my favorite album of theirs.  It’s a journey through the best metal riffs ever, mixed violently with classic rock breakdowns and 70’s style dueling guitar solos, such a masterpeice unrivaled by anything anyone has ever attempted to my knowledge.

Norma Jean is the bomb too, I really like the post-metal alternative heavy rock project he sings for now Hundred Suns it carries the evolution of his style forwardninto a more “radio ready” sound.  Good stuff if you dig his vox.

The great misdirect is one of my favorite albums ever.

3/14/19 4:46 PM
9/5/12
MasterofMartialArts -

I saw these guys live in 05. This song kicks ass but it’s one of the only songs I like by them

3/14/19 5:00 PM
1/11/11

Zeke can you list some stuff to check out? Been searching for metal but your description leads me to believe this might be what I’m after 

3/14/19 5:57 PM
6/22/09
Troll Hunter10 -

Zeke can you list some stuff to check out? Been searching for metal but your description leads me to believe this might be what I’m after 

100%

I’ll say Norma Jean (MERIDIONAL) is a solid album of emotional melodic and heavy metal core.  Dillinger Escape plan (option paralysis) or Between The buried and me (the great misdirect) if you dig the more math-metal complex stuff but extremely talented...

shai hulud and poison the well are similar, both a little more center metal-core 

...can’t go wrong with some Lamb Of God or Shadows Fall, Mastodon if you dig the more pure metal end of the spectrum.  

Fun pop-metal-core hybrids exist like A Day to remember or Boys night out (who don’t get enough credit IMHO) peirce the veil (super mainstream teenie bopper band but they’re my guilty pleasure haha)

It’s such a deep and varied genre which is awesome, I love seeing all the branches that pop out on their own and take it in new directions. Lemme know what you think of any of those!

3/14/19 10:55 PM
10/9/10
Zeke Dynasty -

Great album. It’s interesting that a band as diverse as BTBAM can be classified as “metalcore” or anything of the sort, however it’s easier to call it that when you’re referring to a band that has some of the classic elements of it but also characteristics of death metal and progressive.

Im not one to get caught up in “labels” and I know it annoys some people but I do think there’s a fun debate to be had about the different layers at play. I think metal is one of the most diverse genres in the world, and so many different influences are in these bands. 

3/14/19 11:03 PM
10/9/10
Zeke Dynasty -
Troll Hunter10 -

100%

I’ll say Norma Jean (MERIDIONAL) is a solid album of emotional melodic and heavy metal core.  Dillinger Escape plan (option paralysis) or Between The buried and me (the great misdirect) if you dig the more math-metal complex stuff but extremely talented...

shai hulud and poison the well are similar, both a little more center metal-core 

...can’t go wrong with some Lamb Of God or Shadows Fall, Mastodon if you dig the more pure metal end of the spectrum.  

Fun pop-metal-core hybrids exist like A Day to remember or Boys night out (who don’t get enough credit IMHO) peirce the veil (super mainstream teenie bopper band but they’re my guilty pleasure haha)

It’s such a deep and varied genre which is awesome, I love seeing all the branches that pop out on their own and take it in new directions. Lemme know what you think of any of those!

The Opposite of December is one of all time favorite albums, and IMO is one of the best hardcore/metalcore albums ever made. Shai Hulis criminally underrated, and they so beautifully meshed hardcore punk and heavy metal together. Hopefully they become an active band again. 

Sort of reminds me of As Friends Rust, one of those early pioneering bands that mixed together heavy metal with more traditional punk (which had a member of Shai Hulud). 

A Day to Remember is tons of fun :) 

3/14/19 11:29 PM
5/15/09

Not to sound like a complete dick but to whoever said Gorilla Biscuits was a metalcore band— have you ever actually listened to Gotilla Biscuits? Nothing of the sort.

3/15/19 12:24 AM
2/13/16
MasterofMartialArts -
Zeke Dynasty -

Great album. It’s interesting that a band as diverse as BTBAM can be classified as “metalcore” or anything of the sort, however it’s easier to call it that when you’re referring to a band that has some of the classic elements of it but also characteristics of death metal and progressive.

Im not one to get caught up in “labels” and I know it annoys some people but I do think there’s a fun debate to be had about the different layers at play. I think metal is one of the most diverse genres in the world, and so many different influences are in these bands. 

Ehh i wouldn’t really call them metal core at all TBH, but that’s the great thing about metal, genres blend.

I would more call them prog death metal.  Especially, albums like Alaska, colors (amazing album) and the silent circus.  

Also who ever said Dillinger.. the only album I would call metal core is miss machine.  They’re really more kinda mathy/prog.  Like converge with some melodic moments.  My goto album for them is one of us is the killer.  

3/15/19 12:57 AM
11/30/07
kennyfrommd -

Not to sound like a complete dick but to whoever said Gorilla Biscuits was a metalcore band— have you ever actually listened to Gotilla Biscuits? Nothing of the sort.

Kindly fuck off. They influenced the genre. 

3/15/19 1:07 AM
10/9/10
Darth Potato -
MasterofMartialArts -
Zeke Dynasty -

Ehh i wouldn’t really call them metal core at all TBH, but that’s the great thing about metal, genres blend.

I would more call them prog death metal.  Especially, albums like Alaska, colors (amazing album) and the silent circus.  

Also who ever said Dillinger.. the only album I would call metal core is miss machine.  They’re really more kinda mathy/prog.  Like converge with some melodic moments.  My goto album for them is one of us is the killer.  

I wouldn’t call them Metalcore either but that’s generally what they are labeled as (by the hype machine). But the best thing about them is how unique they are. Greg is probably one of more underrated vocalists out there, he’s very diverse. 

There are other bands you can call Metalcore but are almost like offshoots, very unique ones like Erra or Within the Ruins. Then you have some more progressive bands like Oceans Ate Alaska or Invent, Animate (which tends to have some overlap with Djent). 

Edited: 3/15/19 1:15 AM
5/15/09
Ryann Von Doom -
kennyfrommd -

Kindly fuck off. They influenced the genre. 

So should he listen to Chuck Berry too for influencing rock in general? They have nothing to do with metalcore and aren’t an early metalcore band. At all. Stupid thing to say, refer to your own post.

3/15/19 1:44 AM
2/13/16
MasterofMartialArts -
Darth Potato -
MasterofMartialArts -
Zeke Dynasty -

I wouldn’t call them Metalcore either but that’s generally what they are labeled as (by the hype machine). But the best thing about them is how unique they are. Greg is probably one of more underrated vocalists out there, he’s very diverse. 

There are other bands you can call Metalcore but are almost like offshoots, very unique ones like Erra or Within the Ruins. Then you have some more progressive bands like Oceans Ate Alaska or Invent, Animate (which tends to have some overlap with Djent). 

I suppose.. yeah the hype machine/industry does throw things around.

Thats why I generally try not to get all crazy with labeling things in the first place.  For example I love death metal, black metal, tech death etc... but I just call all that shit extreme metal.  The waters get too muddy.

Greg is amazing.  Not only as a vocalist but as a frontman as well.  Raeally dug the side project killer be killed he did with max kavalera and Troy from mastodon.

Edited: 3/15/19 1:45 AM
2/13/16