OtherGround Forums Nephew is Into Metal Core? WTF is it?

3/15/19 1:47 AM
2/13/16

Also drummers from both converge and Mars Volta were/are in killer be killed

3/15/19 2:01 AM
10/9/10
Darth Potato -
MasterofMartialArts -
Darth Potato -
MasterofMartialArts -
Zeke Dynasty -
ABCTT_Kenny Blankenship -

I grew up listening to Poison the Well, Norma Jean, suicide silence, BTBAM etc. Still listen to all the old shit when I hit the gym but there are some really good newer bands around. 

Check out Harms Way, End, and Jesus Piece. Hopesfall put out an album recently that is really good and they’ve been around for a long time. 

BTBAM “The Great Misdirect” is my favorite album of theirs.  It’s a journey through the best metal riffs ever, mixed violently with classic rock breakdowns and 70’s style dueling guitar solos, such a masterpeice unrivaled by anything anyone has ever attempted to my knowledge.

Norma Jean is the bomb too, I really like the post-metal alternative heavy rock project he sings for now Hundred Suns it carries the evolution of his style forwardninto a more “radio ready” sound.  Good stuff if you dig his vox.

Great album. It’s interesting that a band as diverse as BTBAM can be classified as “metalcore” or anything of the sort, however it’s easier to call it that when you’re referring to a band that has some of the classic elements of it but also characteristics of death metal and progressive.

Im not one to get caught up in “labels” and I know it annoys some people but I do think there’s a fun debate to be had about the different layers at play. I think metal is one of the most diverse genres in the world, and so many different influences are in these bands. 

Ehh i wouldn’t really call them metal core at all TBH, but that’s the great thing about metal, genres blend.

I would more call them prog death metal.  Especially, albums like Alaska, colors (amazing album) and the silent circus.  

Also who ever said Dillinger.. the only album I would call metal core is miss machine.  They’re really more kinda mathy/prog.  Like converge with some melodic moments.  My goto album for them is one of us is the killer.  

I wouldn’t call them Metalcore either but that’s generally what they are labeled as (by the hype machine). But the best thing about them is how unique they are. Greg is probably one of more underrated vocalists out there, he’s very diverse. 

There are other bands you can call Metalcore but are almost like offshoots, very unique ones like Erra or Within the Ruins. Then you have some more progressive bands like Oceans Ate Alaska or Invent, Animate (which tends to have some overlap with Djent). 

I suppose.. yeah the hype machine/industry does throw things around.

Thats why I generally try not to get all crazy with labeling things in the first place.  For example I love death metal, black metal, tech death etc... but I just call all that shit extreme metal.  The waters get too muddy.

Greg is amazing.  Not only as a vocalist but as a frontman as well.  Raeally dug the side project killer be killed he did with max kavalera and Troy from mastodon.

Agreed. I will say I do find uses in labeling them, however there is a fine line and I oppose the conversations that stem from those labels. 

Otherwise I don’t give a flying fuck if it’s called Monkey Metal or Poop Chutes, it it’s good I will listen to it. I really enjoyed Killer Be Killed’s debut, I could have sworn Max said there would be a follow up eventually? Or there could be another Nailbomb on our hands..

3/15/19 2:32 AM
2/13/16
MasterofMartialArts -
Darth Potato -
MasterofMartialArts -
Darth Potato -
MasterofMartialArts -
Zeke Dynasty -
ABCTT_Kenny Blankenship -

I grew up listening to Poison the Well, Norma Jean, suicide silence, BTBAM etc. Still listen to all the old shit when I hit the gym but there are some really good newer bands around. 

Check out Harms Way, End, and Jesus Piece. Hopesfall put out an album recently that is really good and they’ve been around for a long time. 

BTBAM “The Great Misdirect” is my favorite album of theirs.  It’s a journey through the best metal riffs ever, mixed violently with classic rock breakdowns and 70’s style dueling guitar solos, such a masterpeice unrivaled by anything anyone has ever attempted to my knowledge.

Norma Jean is the bomb too, I really like the post-metal alternative heavy rock project he sings for now Hundred Suns it carries the evolution of his style forwardninto a more “radio ready” sound.  Good stuff if you dig his vox.

Great album. It’s interesting that a band as diverse as BTBAM can be classified as “metalcore” or anything of the sort, however it’s easier to call it that when you’re referring to a band that has some of the classic elements of it but also characteristics of death metal and progressive.

Im not one to get caught up in “labels” and I know it annoys some people but I do think there’s a fun debate to be had about the different layers at play. I think metal is one of the most diverse genres in the world, and so many different influences are in these bands. 

Ehh i wouldn’t really call them metal core at all TBH, but that’s the great thing about metal, genres blend.

I would more call them prog death metal.  Especially, albums like Alaska, colors (amazing album) and the silent circus.  

Also who ever said Dillinger.. the only album I would call metal core is miss machine.  They’re really more kinda mathy/prog.  Like converge with some melodic moments.  My goto album for them is one of us is the killer.  

I wouldn’t call them Metalcore either but that’s generally what they are labeled as (by the hype machine). But the best thing about them is how unique they are. Greg is probably one of more underrated vocalists out there, he’s very diverse. 

There are other bands you can call Metalcore but are almost like offshoots, very unique ones like Erra or Within the Ruins. Then you have some more progressive bands like Oceans Ate Alaska or Invent, Animate (which tends to have some overlap with Djent). 

I suppose.. yeah the hype machine/industry does throw things around.

Thats why I generally try not to get all crazy with labeling things in the first place.  For example I love death metal, black metal, tech death etc... but I just call all that shit extreme metal.  The waters get too muddy.

Greg is amazing.  Not only as a vocalist but as a frontman as well.  Raeally dug the side project killer be killed he did with max kavalera and Troy from mastodon.

Agreed. I will say I do find uses in labeling them, however there is a fine line and I oppose the conversations that stem from those labels. 

Otherwise I don’t give a flying fuck if it’s called Monkey Metal or Poop Chutes, it it’s good I will listen to it. I really enjoyed Killer Be Killed’s debut, I could have sworn Max said there would be a follow up eventually? Or there could be another Nailbomb on our hands..

There are uses forsure..  for example, I know what Djent is, I do not like it lol.  I know what death core is, I also do not like it.  

Last I heard, they all wanted to do another one think they even got together and jammed/wrote it was just a matter of getting everybody together to record... pretty sure he also said he wanted to do another nail bomb.

3/15/19 7:03 AM
6/22/09

I would only call BTBAM “Metalcore” because I feel their baseline lies between the hardcore and metal line, instead of from what I think of as the “pure metal” side.  Progressive math metal core would be a label I would consider for them.  Same with DILLINGER, who I only view as metal core because of the scene they came from.  Also, the more pure metal lineage doesn’t have the kind of variation and dynamic bravery those bands both have, I find traditional metal to be far more “boring” than metal core, with less variation of sound.  The dynamics come from the “core” end of the spectrum IMO.  Both bands come from a hardcore scene background (I think) too, and DEP looked like a hardcore band playing metal, the way they threw themselves around on stage is a punk/hardcore thing, a lot of metal bands just stand there and headbang lol.  

Dontnforget the Krishna metal Core band “108” for some SAVAGE jams.  They exemplify “metal-core” pretty on the money.

3/15/19 7:37 AM
2/3/10

Introduce him to some good music 

3/19/19 11:08 AM
2/13/16
Zeke Dynasty -

I would only call BTBAM “Metalcore” because I feel their baseline lies between the hardcore and metal line, instead of from what I think of as the “pure metal” side.  Progressive math metal core would be a label I would consider for them.  Same with DILLINGER, who I only view as metal core because of the scene they came from.  Also, the more pure metal lineage doesn’t have the kind of variation and dynamic bravery those bands both have, I find traditional metal to be far more “boring” than metal core, with less variation of sound.  The dynamics come from the “core” end of the spectrum IMO.  Both bands come from a hardcore scene background (I think) too, and DEP looked like a hardcore band playing metal, the way they threw themselves around on stage is a punk/hardcore thing, a lot of metal bands just stand there and headbang lol.  

Dontnforget the Krishna metal Core band “108” for some SAVAGE jams.  They exemplify “metal-core” pretty on the money.

Touché you make good points.  Especially about the scenes they came from.  I think an important thing to note on the scene is WHEN they came along.  

BTBAM has kinda transcended into their own thing lately though, mostly just metal at this point.  

3/19/19 1:51 PM
6/22/09

Yah BTBAM probably hasn’t sounded very “metal core” since their earlier albums, which were more like noise core lol, I really don’t like those early releases as much, way less listenable.  I think I check in around the great misdirect and then check out around Coma Evleptic, not rolling with the new album quite yet, a little to clean for me Idk 

wikipedia lists them first as PROGRESSIVE METAL and then also AVANT GARDE METAL which I would agree with 100%

I really love some of the in-studio video stuff they did from the parallax 2 future sequence - to watch them play EXTREMOPHILE ELITE live is mind boggling.  

If you haven’t seen this, they did a series of them and I can’t get enough of watching the masters work

https://youtu.be/dM8WjgRA6o8

3/19/19 8:16 PM
2/13/16

Prog/avant-gard 100%..  for me personally I just put them into prog.  

I disagree I thought coma was too light, new album is OK. 

IMO they peaked at colors and the great misdirect, parallax 1/2 are good albums but misdirect light.

however I really enjoy Alaska and the silent circus, because of the death metal influence 

3/19/19 8:45 PM
6/22/09

I’ll have to swing thru the old stuff again, I’d be interested to give it some fresh ears.  

3/20/19 1:01 AM
2/13/16
Zeke Dynasty -

I’ll have to swing thru the old stuff again, I’d be interested to give it some fresh ears.  

Yeah I’m gonna have to give it a listen again.  I’ve got about a 6 hour car drive I have to make tomorrow so i need things to listen to.  Lol

3/20/19 1:46 AM
3/16/06

If you  want prog avant garde, check out Polyphia. Those nerd know how to play. Also Animals As Leaders but they are more well-known.

3/20/19 7:20 AM
6/22/09

Great album more on the converge side of things:

Drowningman: busy signal at the suicide hotline

(old like mid 90’s sleeper release)

and the first NICE HOOVES release is a great metal/punk fusion haven’t listened to the 2nd one yet 

3/20/19 8:19 AM
9/1/13

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Most Precious Blood, Their first album "Nothing in Vein" is Excellent! Then they got a new singer and it fell apart. Also Bleeding Through's early stuff was great as well. When I was younger I listened to bands like 18 visions and when I listen to bands like 18 visions now, I don't know what I was thinking, that band was terrible. Check out Terror too!

3/20/19 8:50 AM
2/13/16

Stupid newbie- I’m familiar with polyphia, there riffs are nuts.  Someone on the black metal thread recommended Fallujah, and it basically sounds like a tech death version of polyphia

Zeke- if you like converge check out rollo tomassi- time will die and love will bury it.  Don’t let the first two songs on the album scare you away lol.

chris-bleeding through is great, their new album is just OK though.  Seen both them and terror a few times.. 18 visions is shit.

3/20/19 1:25 PM
3/18/12

Sevendust, to me was an originator.

As I lay dying is fucking great.  

This whole album is awesome

3/20/19 11:45 PM
1/14/03

3/20/19 11:46 PM
3/15/15
Would Bring Me the Horizon be considered metalcore?
3/21/19 12:05 AM
1/14/03
HotSteppa - Would Bring Me the Horizon be considered metalcore?

They were but I don't think they still are. Good tunes either way. 

3/21/19 12:06 AM
1/14/03

3/21/19 12:08 AM
1/14/03

3/21/19 12:16 AM
2/12/12
MasterofMartialArts -

It’s golden age has passed, there are very few new bands that are actually talented. It’s a sub genre of metal that has elements of hardcore, death metal, heavy metal and others. Many elitists don’t consider it to be “Metal”. Others think metalcore fans are “scene kids”. Some great bands from the golden era are:

Shai Hulud

Underoath 

Norma Jean

Poison the Well

Killswitch Engage (earlier is better)

As I Lay Dying

There are plenty of others. New metalcore bands mostly suck and I’m not sure why they are considered metalcore. All of their songs are boring, mid tempo, lazy riffs and songwriting, shitty lyrics, and uninspiring, dull, whiny, clean vocals. 

I'm not into too much music with screaming  type vocals but to this day I can always listen to some Norma Jean for some reason. My buddy's band got to open for underoath when we were kids. Underoath put on a good show. They bullshitted with us for a while after the show and even helped my other buddy(also my ride) with a locksmith as he locked his keys in the car. Nice dudes. 

Idk if The Refused fit into this category, but their album The shape of punk to come is one of my all time favorite albums front to back.

3/21/19 12:20 AM
1/14/03

3/21/19 12:30 AM
1/14/03

This song goes hard as fuck. I can't believe it took me this long to remember these dudes

3/23/19 11:28 PM
6/22/09
Darth Potato -

Stupid newbie- I’m familiar with polyphia, there riffs are nuts.  Someone on the black metal thread recommended Fallujah, and it basically sounds like a tech death version of polyphia

Zeke- if you like converge check out rollo tomassi- time will die and love will bury it.  Don’t let the first two songs on the album scare you away lol.

chris-bleeding through is great, their new album is just OK though.  Seen both them and terror a few times.. 18 visions is shit.

Nice heads up on Rollo Tomasi, that first song is certainly a misleading intro to the album!

i like how wild it is but they never seem to be in over their heads and it doesn’t come off as pretentious, it is nice that they let it go as far as it needs to go to get the sound they want, and their more energetic shit is epic.  

Does have a distinct converge feel to it and then that magical kinda pop stuff they mess around with is fun when they interject it so pristinely within the madness.  

They’re rock solid in step with each other too everyone is on the same page which is the only way this kinda caper works lol like BTBAM or Dillinger.  No room for errors or slouches, everyone has some work to do.

I’m pretty sure this album is gonna get some plays out of me, so thanks!

3/23/19 11:39 PM
2/13/16

Awesome man glad you enjoyed it!

yeah had a converge tone to it with some blast beats added in.  but it’s very well thought out and flows thoroughly