OtherGround Forums Nephew is Into Metal Core? WTF is it?

7 days ago
3/27/09
Ryann Von Doom -
JonnyW -
Ryann Von Doom -
kennyfrommd -

Not to sound like a complete dick but to whoever said Gorilla Biscuits was a metalcore band— have you ever actually listened to Gotilla Biscuits? Nothing of the sort.

Kindly fuck off. They influenced the genre. 

GB is a straight up hardcore punk band. 

They influenced the genre, please learn how to read and comprehend. 

"Get him some early metalcore like Gorrilla Bisquits or Earthcrisis"

You didnt state that they influenced the genre until called out. Please learn not to be an asshole and own up to what you write. You always come into these music threads thinking you know more than anyone. 

7 days ago
10/9/10
HighInsideLegKick -
MasterofMartialArts -
HighInsideLegKick -

Only one of these bands I've ever really gotten into is Underoath.  They fucking rock. 

Recently went to see them with Korn and Alice In Chains 

Regrettably I missed their ENTIRE set because it took my in-laws fuckin 3 hours to get ready 

Damn in-laws. I say you get them to worst possible gifts at Christmas. Show them how much you think of them lol

Right? WTF 

We all thought the show was at 7 but it ended up being at 6. Which is fine, but even after everyone knew, they took fucking 2 hours to get ready 

I’d say a stocking full of dog shit would be fair. 

Except for my wife, she was ready early :) 

7 days ago
10/9/10
Stupidnewbie -

Lambesis is back with AILD and they apparently have a new album on 9/20. Huh. 

I just heard the new song and read about the new album 

WELL IT LOOKS LIKE ITS HAPPENING FOLKS :) 

OP you should get the sense that AILD are titans in this particular style of metal. 

7 days ago
1/12/10
MasterofMartialArts -
Stupidnewbie -

OP you should get the sense that AILD are titans in this particular style of metal. 

Saying they’re titans makes me feel so old because I remember my friend talking about this ‘new band’ when Beneath the Encasing of Ashes was released. 

I still believe Frail Words Collapse has one of the best opening riffs on a record ever. 

7 days ago
2/13/16
MasterofMartialArts -
Stupidnewbie -

Funny how people don’t give a shit Tim tried to have his wife killed 

7 days ago
3/16/06
Darth Potato -
MasterofMartialArts -
Stupidnewbie -

I still can't decide if it was metal AF or not metal at all. There's arguments both ways! 

7 days ago
1/1/01

Listening to Merauder now. Metalcore after 2000 is mostly for poseurs though

Edited: 6 days ago
5/15/09
JonnyW -
Ryann Von Doom -
JonnyW -
Ryann Von Doom -
kennyfrommd -

Not to sound like a complete dick but to whoever said Gorilla Biscuits was a metalcore band— have you ever actually listened to Gotilla Biscuits? Nothing of the sort.

Kindly fuck off. They influenced the genre. 

GB is a straight up hardcore punk band. 

They influenced the genre, please learn how to read and comprehend. 

"Get him some early metalcore like Gorrilla Bisquits or Earthcrisis"

You didnt state that they influenced the genre until called out. Please learn not to be an asshole and own up to what you write. You always come into these music threads thinking you know more than anyone. 

This. You said early metalcore LIKE GB.

And also, no they didn’t. Start Today influences a lot. Shitty metalcore cannot be pinned on GB.

6 days ago
7/28/02

NEW MIX FROM MY CURRENT FAV

6 days ago
6/21/11
Khun Kao - I remember back when it was just Heavy Metal... or just Metal.

Then we started getting all the extra descriptors... Speed Metal, Thrash Metal, Death Metal, Black Metal, Glam Metal, Hair Metal... I don't even care what the descriptive names are anymore.

It is alot to keep up with.

6 days ago
10/9/10
Darth Potato -
MasterofMartialArts -
Stupidnewbie -

Lots of people cared. As recently as a few months ago, I read about some venues cancelling their shows because of outrage from people. Tim was being criticized all over social media by fans and other metal musicians (Jasta for one). 

I had mixed feelings about it but when it comes down to it, the band came out and talked about the process of reconciliation. They have forgiven him so if they trust him and feel like he should get a second chance, I’m on board. I believe in reform. 

Only time will tell if he’s really changed for good. 

6 days ago
2/13/16
MasterofMartialArts -
Darth Potato -
MasterofMartialArts -
Stupidnewbie -

Lots of people cared. As recently as a few months ago, I read about some venues cancelling their shows because of outrage from people. Tim was being criticized all over social media by fans and other metal musicians (Jasta for one). 

I had mixed feelings about it but when it comes down to it, the band came out and talked about the process of reconciliation. They have forgiven him so if they trust him and feel like he should get a second chance, I’m on board. I believe in reform. 

I was listening to the Jasta show with Phil Lobante and they were talking about it and the funniest non intentionally funny exchange happens between the two of them

jasta: well it’s complicated.....

phil: *whisperig* well.... you tried to... you tried to kill your fucking wife

jasta: ITS FUCKED UP RIGHT!?  Man I was listening to their album the other day and I was like this shit SLAMS too bad about Tim 

6 days ago
10/9/10
Darth Potato -
MasterofMartialArts -
Darth Potato -
MasterofMartialArts -
Stupidnewbie -

I was listening to the Jasta show with Phil Lobante and they were talking about it and the funniest non intentionally funny exchange happens between the two of them

jasta: ITS FUCKED UP RIGHT!?  Man I was listening to their album the other day and I was like this shit SLAMS too bad about Tim 

LOL that’s hilarious, I don’t think I caught that episode 

I think Jasta came out with a statement last year saying he was cool with it if the band was, idk when that was though 

If you ever saw the video the band put up last year, you can tell that the other members were still very much hurt by Tim. I got the impression that he is on very thin ice. 

I saw them when they came back to Texas and Tim sounded rusty, but it was a great show 

6 days ago
10/9/10
Darth Potato -
MasterofMartialArts -
Darth Potato -
MasterofMartialArts -
Stupidnewbie -

LMAO I read that in Jasta’s voice, I don’t think I caught that episode 

I remember Jasta ostracizing Tim for a good while on social media, then maybe a year ago or so Jamey made a statement that if the band is cool with Tim then he is too. 

I can totally hear Jasta saying “that album fucking SLAMS” lol he’s a jackass but he’s not wrong 

I had mixed feelings about it for a long time but once the band released that video where they all described their experience, I was reeled back in. I got the impression that they are all still hurt and Tim is on very thin ice with the other members. 

Only time will tell if this change is permanent. 

6 days ago
10/9/10

Sorry for the weird posts and dupes, the app is being a sack of shit 

6 days ago
7/31/09

Had no idea about the murder for hire shit. Fucking crazy. Looking into it I came across his public apology after serving his time and probation (only 3 years inside) and he came across as genuine and heartfelt. Idk that I'd support the band getting back together though. That'd be a tough one.

6 days ago
10/9/10
TFK_UGCTT_Sk1tzO420 -
MasterofMartialArts -
Stupidnewbie -

Saying they’re titans makes me feel so old because I remember my friend talking about this ‘new band’ when Beneath the Encasing of Ashes was released. 

I still believe Frail Words Collapse has one of the best opening riffs on a record ever. 

94 Hours? That first drop is SICK. 

Yeah man I can’t believe they’ve been around almost 20 years. Shadows Are Security for me is one of the best metalcore albums in existence. Certainly one of the most important ones for me in influencing the heavy music I would come to listen to over the years. So many bands tried to replicate that sound in the following years, and some still try now. 

6 days ago
10/9/10
Kings21 -

Had no idea about the murder for hire shit. Fucking crazy. Looking into it I came across his public apology after serving his time and probation (only 3 years inside) and he came across as genuine and heartfelt. Idk that I'd support the band getting back together though. That'd be a tough one.

Yeah the whole ordeal is fuckin insane man. 

Did you watch that video that had the entire band? It’s like 20-30 minutes long, I believe it’s on their YouTube page. 

The video covers each band member who describes the previous state of their relationship with Tim, its degradation, his imprisonment and their reconciliation. Each of them were drawn nearly to tears describing how this event impacted their lives. 

Listening to them all describe it, you immediately see that the reunion started as soon as Tim got out of prison. None of them wanted anything to do with him especially Nick, but over time they began to repair their friendships and put the pieces back together. 

When it all first went down, Tim appeared to not give a flying fuck, basically doing everything but accepting fault for it and continue to spiral. I guess this started to change after a couple of years according to the band. 

In that video he looks like he genuinely feels bad and wants to make shit right. I mean you never really know what somebody is thinking. He could be a really good actor. But based on what the members said, he’s not. By the time all of that shit happened he was essentially an unbearable narcissistic asshole. 

I guess we will see what happens after this first string of success following their comeback. 

6 days ago
12/15/13
MasterofMartialArts -
TFK_UGCTT_Sk1tzO420 -
MasterofMartialArts -
Stupidnewbie -

Yeah man I can’t believe they’ve been around almost 20 years. Shadows Are Security for me is one of the best metalcore albums in existence. Certainly one of the most important ones for me in influencing the heavy music I would come to listen to over the years. So many bands tried to replicate that sound in the following years, and some still try now. 

+1 I totally wrote them off after tims ordeal but I've recently listened to their earlier albums and i really think they are solid for the genre. Frail words, shadows, an ocean are solid.

5 days ago
10/9/10
popcornkilldya -
MasterofMartialArts -
TFK_UGCTT_Sk1tzO420 -
MasterofMartialArts -
Stupidnewbie -

+1 I totally wrote them off after tims ordeal but I've recently listened to their earlier albums and i really think they are solid for the genre. Frail words, shadows, an ocean are solid.

At least 2 of their albums are probably 2 of the most influential in metalcore 

3 days ago
10/9/10

This thread reminds me I’m going to see Counterparts/Stick To Your Guns/Terror/Sanction/Year of the Knife. The show is this Friday. I’m sure the majority of you in here have heard the first three, the latter two are newer bands. Sanction is a great new metalcore revival band, YOTK I believe is also but I’m not familiar with them. 

While I’m a fan of STYG and the others, Counterparts is far and away the band I’m a bigger fan of. I first heard them back in 2015 after being told good things about them for a long time, I fell in love immediately. They aren’t really “metalcore”, they are more of a melodic hardcore band. Here’s some Counterparts if you need an introduction.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAG-1ZzEeQ4Ay78n0f57d652GKhT19hc9

Sorry the embed URL never works for me. Also I’m pretty sure I just ruptured my eardrum lol. I’m pretty sure if you cut off my ear I would still attend the show. 

3 days ago
1/22/19
ChaosOverkill -

Metal for people who take it WAY too fucking seriously.

I've actually found some of the most fun times of my life were at concerts,in the heart of metalcore country (MA/NE), and in the early 2000's.  It was about dancing (moshing) and energy, having a fucking blast with friends, meeting kinky scenester chicks, and certainly not the goth-esque, cartoonish, uber serious take most people give it.  Musicianship wise, much of it is some of the most complex music out there, and energy wise, it was unparralleled. 

3 days ago
10/9/10
ImNotSurprisedDonks -
ChaosOverkill -

Metal for people who take it WAY too fucking seriously.

I've actually found some of the most fun times of my life were at concerts,in the heart of metalcore country (MA/NE), and in the early 2000's.  It was about dancing (moshing) and energy, having a fucking blast with friends, meeting kinky scenester chicks, and certainly not the goth-esque, cartoonish, uber serious take most people give it.  Musicianship wise, much of it is some of the most complex music out there, and energy wise, it was unparralleled. 

100%

There are a TON of misconceptions about metalcore and just metal in general. Some of the nicest, coolest people I’ve met have been in the scene. 

In fact if you meet any of these bands or just any metal band in general, a lot of them are some of the most down to earth people you will meet. A lot of them also don’t take themselves too seriously. 

Not even sure what the statement “takes Metal way too seriously” means anyways... it’s music. Metalcore is just a subgenre and has its roots in modern heavy metal. That’s like saying psychological horror movies are for people who take horror too seriously, or that a Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Texas Edition is for people who take trucks too seriously. 

It’s a weird thing to say. 

3 days ago
7/28/02