OtherGround Forums Netflix loses 9billion over Cuties

9/16/20 8:23 AM
11/20/09

1st, in case you missed it, I did a 180 on my "canceling Netflix is dumb af" thread.  

I already realized before watching this video that canceling netflix isn't a bad thing. 

9/16/20 8:27 AM
11/21/05

They are still promoting it directly on their main splash page.  Seems like they are willing to die on that hill.

Edited: 9/16/20 8:31 AM
11/28/03

god damn that's a lot of money

9/16/20 8:34 AM
11/20/09
ranier wolfcastle - 

god damn that's a lot of money

I love those bits.

9/16/20 8:35 AM
12/17/09

Josh’s favorite show. 

9/16/20 8:35 AM
9/6/17

4 later

9/16/20 8:51 AM
8/7/12

9 billion? That's what per $10 subscription? 900 million people! Your telling me 900 million people have canceled Netflix over this? Are we talking a 9 billion dollar eval.? If so then none of this matters too you and I unless your a board member or own stock. 

Hell just alone the new season of cobra kai will bring in a decent amount of viewership too offset some of this. I dont condemn nor applaud anyone for keeping or canceling the service but let's not turn an ant hill into a mountain. Netflix's entire stock could take a shit and they could still be propped up long enough by existing subscribers until the next new faux outrage is declared. 

In other words, this doesnt mean jack shit in the real world. 

9/16/20 8:54 AM
6/27/05
baj54 -

9 billion? That's what per $10 subscription? 900 million people! Your telling me 900 million people have canceled Netflix over this? Are we talking a 9 billion dollar eval.? If so then none of this matters too you and I unless your a board member or own stock. 

Hell just alone the new season of cobra kai will bring in a decent amount of viewership too offset some of this. I dont condemn nor applaud anyone for keeping or canceling the service but let's not turn an ant hill into a mountain. Netflix's entire stock could take a shit and they could still be propped up long enough by existing subscribers until the next new faux outrage is declared. 

Pay no attention to that chomo behind the curtain....

9/16/20 8:59 AM
11/20/09
Stu Cazzo - 
baj54 -

Ininuating baj54 is a pedofile b/c of his post?

Shit like that is wrong with society.  You have a difference of opinion all of a sudden someone's going extreme. 

Say something like you back blm, then you're a liberal and hate white people. 

Say something like you're against blm, then you're a racist and a trump supporter.

This guy chimes in with how he doesn't think netflix will end as a company b/c of this and you infer he's a "chomo". 

Come on dude.

9/16/20 9:03 AM
1/23/14

Suck it Netflix. They won't die but they will remember why this happened.

9/16/20 9:04 AM
10/11/18

For the record, I hate BLM more than I hate Neflix. But I still hate Netflix...even before their kiddie pron fuckery.

It Amazes me how Netflix even thought cuties was a good idea.  Maybe they just wanted the controversy to begin with.  These aren't dumb people.  They knew.

9/16/20 9:04 AM
6/27/05
BringBackHeadbutts -
Stu Cazzo - 
baj54 -

Shit like that is wrong with society.  You have a difference of opinion all of a sudden someone's going extreme. 

Say something like you're against blm, then you're a racist and a trump supporter.

This guy chimes in with how he doesn't think netflix will end as a company b/c of this and you infer he's a "chomo". 

Come on dude.

You’re literally too stupid to converse with....

9/16/20 9:16 AM
1/1/01

I Wonder why people didn't cancel over the dance moms show? Wasn't that on Netflix? Even if it wasn't where is the outrage?

I have no interest in watching this Cuties movie. I didn't get halfway through the trailer because it was very uncomfortable. But from what I have seen this movie is about how over sexualizing kids is a bad thing. And isn't that message a good one?

The dance moms show promotes this kind of thing and it's been on for years with hardly a word being said. I just don't understand. 

Netflix brought this on themselves with their horrible marketing. That poster was disgusting and the trailer was worse. I believe it gave the opposite impression of what the movie was about.

And all this controversy drove the movie up into the top 10 instead of just being some forgotten  foreign film.

9/16/20 9:17 AM
11/20/09

Yet here you are posting on my thread.  At least you didn't reply like I thought you would, grouping me as you grouped him.  That's progress I guess. 

Edited: 9/16/20 9:21 AM
11/20/09

JoeVIP  - 

I Wonder why people didn't cancel over the dance moms show? Wasn't that on Netflix? Even if it wasn't where is the outrage?

I have no interest in watching this Cuties movie. I didn't get halfway through the trailer because it was very uncomfortable. But from what I have seen this movie is about how over sexualizing kids is a bad thing. And isn't that message a good one?

The dance moms show promotes this kind of thing and it's been on for years with hardly a word being said. I just don't understand. 

Netflix brought this on themselves with their horrible marketing. That poster was disgusting and the trailer was worse. I believe it gave the opposite impression of what the movie was about.

And all this controversy drove the movie up into the top 10 instead of just being some forgotten  foreign film.

Although it's just a meme or satire headline, it actually made me re-think my position.  I'm referring to this-

https://babylonbee.com/news/new-netflix-movie-actually-murders-puppies-to-teach-that-murdering-puppies-is-bad/?utm_content=buffer13cbb&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

9/16/20 9:23 AM
12/6/11

Dayum..... So, how the hell am I supposed to watch Cobra Kai season 3??? If they actually go out of business

9/16/20 9:24 AM
5/17/12

Maybe I'm just happy I got my friends login info last night..

But when has hollywood ever have principles? they've been pushing filth for years. I DO however understand how this could bother parents. I think every cancellation of Netflix is a POSITIVE thing, but people act like we haven't been heading in a deplorable direction for decades.

One thing that interested me, in the top 10 most popular shows in the US, 5 of them are kids shows now, Cuties being one of them.

Definitely don't remember that being the case before all this.

9/16/20 9:34 AM
6/28/10
baj54 -

i pay $18

9/16/20 9:34 AM
1/1/01

Where does the $9B figure come from?  I suspect someone is trying to use the stock price argument, as they would not release subscription numbers changes on a weekly basis.

Netflix has a market cap of over $200B, so even a $9B fluctuation is less than 5%.

If you look at their stock over the past six months, and compare to NASDAQ averages, it’s hard to make the case that something is amiss.  The fluctuations are within what would normally be expected with market trends, and the stock is up on the 15th and 16th.

Put in a different way, concerted efforts to cancel Netflix have not caused major damage, at least not yet.

9/16/20 9:47 AM
11/28/08
baj54 -

It is talking about the stock market value. Netlfix is worth 220 billion, so 9 billion in either direction is peanuts. Their stock price went down between September 1st and September 14, and is now going up again. And that was after it spiked up in the last week of August. As in, the price went up after the release of Cuties and is now sitting at where it was before it came out.

The 9 billion loss was between the 9th and 10th. Then there was an 8 billion increase between the 14th and 15th.

Netflix is not super transparent with its metrics so a lot of what you see about them are just estimates. They are losing subscribers right now, and at a relatively high rate, but that is also they had massive gains in the first half of the year from everyone being in quarantine, and that was after everyone was saying they were going to be killed by things like Disney+ saturating the market.

But that is a lot more boring than some CLICKBAITY youtube channel that ABUSES capslock!

9/16/20 10:00 AM
9/19/04
baj54 -

To me it boils down to integrity. If you don't approve of this shit you should not support that business. It doesn't matter about their bottom line, IMO.

It is kind of like the people who don't vote, in say california, because they say their vote doesn't matter because it will go blue. You have to have enough integrity to still go vote for whom you want to be president rather than sit at home and do nothing.

Thats why I find it so funny that all these people hate BLM, defund the police movements, etc... and still watch the NFL, NBA, and now even baseball.

Have some fucking pride for fucks sakes.

9/16/20 10:06 AM
10/6/02
Thefe is lots of stuff online. Just don't click on it. Things like football etc. lol!

I am going to watch Cobra Kai. I just don't click on a lot of other crap that Netflix carries.

9/16/20 10:11 AM
6/20/11
baj54 -

It’s based off their stock dropping from 550 to like 495, which would have been a result of investors reacting to a reduced subscriber base or a stagnation of it.

9/16/20 10:11 AM
1/1/01
BringBackHeadbutts -

JoeVIP  - 

Although it's just a meme or satire headline, it actually made me re-think my position.  I'm referring to this-

https://babylonbee.com/news/new-netflix-movie-actually-murders-puppies-to-teach-that-murdering-puppies-is-bad/?utm_content=buffer13cbb&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I Completely understand the point this meme is trying to make. I get it. I haven't seen the movie so I don't know how bad it is. I don't know how many scenes the movie has that are like the trailer.

I just don't understand how there is no outrage over other shows that are the same or worse than this.

Edited: 9/16/20 10:12 AM
10/31/10
Stu Cazzo -
BringBackHeadbutts -
Stu Cazzo - 
baj54 -

Come on dude.

You’re literally too stupid to converse with....

We don’t agree about handguns but I stand with you in most cases.

PS.: Glock sucks