OtherGround Forums New Common Sense (Dan Carlin)

9/22/20 2:37 AM
8/18/06

He essentially said that if you vote for Trump you want civil war.  I was really disappointed in him.  He applied no historical context beyond mobs bad.

Left out an reference to how a small number of fanatical Marxist can take over a country.

9/22/20 2:40 AM
1/1/01
ziggystardust -

New episode out - #320, Steering Into the Iceberg.

For those not familiar with it, it's a political podcast by the same guy who does Hardcore History. He tries to avoid partisanship and looks for systemic issues. I haven't listened to this episode yet, though. 

That was an unexpected episode. So much for not taking sides, lol. It's not going to be appreciated by the OG. Still, I'm as impressed as always by his ability to clearly distill what he sees as the main issue. 

9/22/20 2:46 AM
1/1/01
VirusHoax - if you've listened to common sense over the years, it is amazing for dan carlin to be advocating for things to go back to the way they were because that was so much better. for dan carlin to be saying that is going to vote for joe biden. the whole theme of the show (pre-trump) was how the political establishment needed to be upended.

He wasn't really advocating for things to go back to the status quo, was he? It was more of temporarily choosing a lesser evil. But it's obviously a big change for him to vote tactically instead of for someone he believes in.

I think it's part of the theme he had in his last episodes. He's been advocating for an outsider and, for his sins, they gave him one. At the same time, political discussion has devolved into tribal feuding. His faith in his own solutions and his fellow Americans is waning, and he's not sure where to go from here. 

9/22/20 2:58 AM
1/1/01
JimmersonzGlove -
ActiveMeasures - Listening now. Dan really frustrates me due to how long it takes him to make content. No reason he cant be more consistent with his episodes. Especially hard core history. Theres no reason it should take close to a year for one episode.

I thought he mentioned once that he reads like 20 books for those longer pod series. It would take a ton of time to read that much while note taking then organizing all of your intro and laying out those super long multipart pods. 

He basically researches and writes a short book for each HH episode, with a level of quality that few achieve, while doing side projects like the book and the WWI VR event.

People should feel grateful for what he provides, instead of entitled to more. 

9/22/20 3:17 AM
2/25/09
VirusHoax - if you've listened to common sense over the years, it is amazing for dan carlin to be advocating for things to go back to the way they were because that was so much better. for dan carlin to be saying that is going to vote for joe biden. the whole theme of the show (pre-trump) was how the political establishment needed to be upended.

Yes we need biden back in to be rid of the establishment. Sarcasm. Why do you think the machine is so visceraly opposed to trump. Because he isnt in that club. 

9/22/20 9:46 AM
10/13/05
got to about 25mins, was rambling a lot imo. did he get better? i stopped and deleted it and started on another podcast
9/22/20 9:55 AM
11/27/02
I have avoided his Common Sense pod because I enjoy his Hardcore History ones and do not want to have them tainted by learning and hearing more about his contemporary political leanings and opinions.
9/22/20 9:55 AM
4/3/20
Slap Johnson - 

Yes we need biden back in to be rid of the establishment. Sarcasm. Why do you think the machine is so visceraly opposed to trump. Because he isnt in that club. 

do you think dan carlin is part of the machine?
9/22/20 10:31 AM
1/1/01
supersonic - I have avoided his Common Sense pod because I enjoy his Hardcore History ones and do not want to have them tainted by learning and hearing more about his contemporary political leanings and opinions.

Unless you're hard Left or Right it shouldn't cause an issue... Dan is very rational and logical even if I don't always agree with his conclusions.

9/22/20 11:12 AM
1/1/01

I just finished listening to the podcast. While I can't disagree with anything he says in regards to Trump's character flaws I think he wildly underplays the threat the Left presents. While in a vaccum Biden may be preferable to Trump politics is never played out in a vaccum. I don't think anyone legitimately believes that Biden will be able to control or contain the radical aspects of the Left, either the extremists in the streets or in the Democratic party itself. Trump may have authoritarian tendencies, but why should I trade one authoritarian that largely leaves me alone for hundreds of thousands of authoritrians who demand I live and believe as they deem correct and threaten to harm me and my family if I don't? It isn't the Right who is threatening to guillotine those that don't give them what they want. It isn't the Right destroyng peoples homes and businesses. It isn't the Right trying to dictate right-think. I also have to roll my eyes at his concern over Trump launching nuclear weapons... If Trump had shown any desire to engage in war I might say he had a point. However, Trump is the first President in 40 years who has niether started a war nor enlarged involvement in a current conflict. If he hasn't sought to get into a conventional conflict, why should I worry he might start a nuclear one? 

The Democrats are proposing adding 2 blue states, packing the Supreme Court, ending the filibuster, and rewriting the rules governing elections... They would significantly alter the power balance in their favor simply because they don’t like having the short end of the stick for 4 years. It's a blatantly political naked grab for power. That isn't authoritarian!? Dan ignores all of this and that doing so would completely undermine the legitimacy of the federal government. Right now the Left is far more dangerous than Trump to the stability of the Union.

9/22/20 11:18 AM
4/3/20
"I don't think anyone legitimately believes that Biden will be able to control or contain the radical aspects of the Left, either the extremists in the streets or in the Democratic party itself"

this is what you perceive trump to be doing?
9/22/20 11:23 AM
1/1/01
VirusHoax - "I don't think anyone legitimately believes that Biden will be able to control or contain the radical aspects of the Left, either the extremists in the streets or in the Democratic party itself"

I see you don't understand how our federalist system works...

9/22/20 11:24 AM
7/13/09

He did a CS around 2015 2016 on what American Fascism would look like that was a great episode. He talks about how it wouldn’t be Nazis since that’s German Fascism. It was great because you could see how it turns to fascism if it goes to far on either side of the spectrum. He then starts giving hints about not digging Trump until he puts the show on hiatus. He’s then done one or two CS shows since then..

This new one was a full triggered event not planned because of RBG. He goes full west coast elitist and tells you if you’re on the side of civil war you shouldn’t be voting at all. And that the bad guy is the one who jokes about being a dictator not the people looting. He’s from the valley so CA liberal not an out of town one like I usually bitch about lol... But he’s in Portland or somewhere up in Oregon now which is apparently more goofy than LA so. 

9/22/20 11:53 AM
4/3/20
amadeus - 
VirusHoax - "I don't think anyone legitimately believes that Biden will be able to control or contain the radical aspects of the Left, either the extremists in the streets or in the Democratic party itself"

im sorry i poked a hole in your dumb assed statement.

the radical aspects of the left exist no matter who is president. the extremists in the street exist no matter who is in president. the DNC exists and the party will hold at least 1 house of congress no matter who is president.

if extremism on the left is what your concern is...wouldn't a moderate who is already on record as opposing the extremist ideas that you oppose be a positive? if the dems run back to back establishment moderates (HRC + Biden) and lose twice, wouldn't the obvious takeaway be that the DNC needs to move *more* to the left to win?
9/22/20 12:17 PM
7/13/09
VirusHoax -
amadeus - 

im sorry i poked a hole in your dumb assed statement.

the radical aspects of the left exist no matter who is president. the extremists in the street exist no matter who is in president. the DNC exists and the party will hold at least 1 house of congress no matter who is president.

if extremism on the left is what your concern is...wouldn't a moderate who is already on record as opposing the extremist ideas that you oppose be a positive? if the dems run back to back establishment moderates (HRC + Biden) and lose twice, wouldn't the obvious takeaway be that the DNC needs to move *more* to the left to win?

No you would move more to the right to be more palatable to a larger group of people. Donald Trump is a Democrat who switched parties and moved the Republican establishment to the left. That’s why they got the Bernie bro’s vote last time. Had the Dems actually looked at who and what demographics they lost they would have moved to the right. Instead they had a temper tantrum and emboldened the commie retards on their side the same way Trump emboldened the racist idiots.

Two wrongs don’t make a right so If they actually were the mature, more educated adults in the room the way they always claimed they were then the Dems would have “Gone high” when the right went low. Instead they just went lower and lower and lower. No one believes Biden is long for the world so then it comes down to a question of how moderate is Harris? LOL Harris...

9/22/20 12:26 PM
4/3/20
who are these democrats to the right of an 80 year old, relic of a bygone era joe biden that the dems should have run?
9/22/20 1:57 PM
7/13/09
VirusHoax - who are these democrats to the right of an 80 year old, relic of a bygone era joe biden that the dems should have run?

LOL Are you saying 80 year old Joe and Kamala are the most conservative members of your party and the best candidates you guys could possibly put forward then? 

I mean they could have started by embracing Tulsi as a woman of Color and a war veteran for a VP pick to pull themselves closer to the center...wrong color though and Hillary didn’t like her... They could have probably found a less gay pussy looking Buttigeg veteran type in their 40s or 50s...nope,he’ll be a rapist or mysoginist without Biden’s old granpa gimmick to cover for it.... Cancelled the more business oriented Billionares for being old white guys... hell why not use Mad Dog Mattis since he’s such an “honorable” guy in the view of the Dems ever since he left Trump?...it’s all about beating Trump right? You could have even dusted Al Gores old ass off and not look nearly like this much of a commie shitshow. Problem is you guys already cancelled or ran off anyone that would want to participate in the circus. 

9/22/20 2:13 PM
4/3/20
you realize tulsi gabbard is far to the left of joe biden, right?
Edited: 9/22/20 2:27 PM
7/13/09
VirusHoax - you realize tulsi gabbard is far to the left of joe biden, right?

Yes I do...and yet she doesn’t give off the image of commie Antifa sympathizer either now does she? She comes off like a rational adult even if her views are whacky. Harris doesn’t come off rational at all. She comes off fake. 

9/22/20 3:29 PM
6/5/05
JJitsu -
VirusHoax - you realize tulsi gabbard is far to the left of joe biden, right?

Yes I do...and yet she doesn’t give off the image of commie Antifa sympathizer either now does she? She comes off like a rational adult even if her views are whacky. Harris doesn’t come off rational at all. She comes off fake. 

Seth moulton was my pick

9/22/20 3:31 PM
6/7/12
Candide - 

I've only listened to the first ten or fifteen minutes but I have a feeling this episode isn't going to be popular on the OG

I listened to around 20 mins. Came here for this comment haha
9/22/20 3:38 PM
6/7/12
Slap Johnson - 

Because he's a bumbling fat ass oaf who has nukes...
Edited: 9/22/20 4:05 PM
8/8/13

Love him

#NoHomo

9/22/20 4:19 PM
2/2/12
amadeus -

I just finished listening to the podcast. While I can't disagree with anything he says in regards to Trump's character flaws I think he wildly underplays the threat the Left presents. While in a vaccum Biden may be preferable to Trump politics is never played out in a vaccum. I don't think anyone legitimately believes that Biden will be able to control or contain the radical aspects of the Left, either the extremists in the streets or in the Democratic party itself. Trump may have authoritarian tendencies, but why should I trade one authoritarian that largely leaves me alone for hundreds of thousands of authoritrians who demand I live and believe as they deem correct and threaten to harm me and my family if I don't? It isn't the Right who is threatening to guillotine those that don't give them what they want. It isn't the Right destroyng peoples homes and businesses. It isn't the Right trying to dictate right-think. I also have to roll my eyes at his concern over Trump launching nuclear weapons... If Trump had shown any desire to engage in war I might say he had a point. However, Trump is the first President in 40 years who has niether started a war nor enlarged involvement in a current conflict. If he hasn't sought to get into a conventional conflict, why should I worry he might start a nuclear one? 

The Democrats are proposing adding 2 blue states, packing the Supreme Court, ending the filibuster, and rewriting the rules governing elections... They would significantly alter the power balance in their favor simply because they don’t like having the short end of the stick for 4 years. It's a blatantly political naked grab for power. That isn't authoritarian!? Dan ignores all of this and that doing so would completely undermine the legitimacy of the federal government. Right now the Left is far more dangerous than Trump to the stability of the Union.

The radical left has no control of the democrats, youre mistaken. Most radicals cant stand Joe or anyone except Bernie or AOC and you saw how successful Bernie was at getting the rest of the party behind him. We'll get nothing new from Biden but a few bones thrown there way. Give your head a shake.

9/22/20 4:27 PM
4/3/20
greasegun - 
amadeus -

The radical left has no control of the democrats, youre mistaken. Most radicals cant stand Joe or anyone except Bernie or AOC and you saw how successful Bernie was at getting the rest of the party behind him. We'll get nothing new from Biden but a few bones thrown there way. Give your head a shake.

this is correct.

which is why you see dan carlin (off all people) saying that the swamp is preferable to steering into the iceberg, which is what trump is doing and what many on the OG seem to prefer.