OtherGround Forums New navy laser goes pew pew pew!!

7 days ago
5/28/02

US successfully tests laser weapon that can destroy aircraft mid-flight

7 days ago
8/14/18

I wonder what the range is............

7 days ago
1/11/06
USA!!! love to see that video.
7 days ago
6/30/07

Pew to the mothertrucking PEW!

USA, USA, USA!!!

Edited: 7 days ago
4/25/13

Largest Navy in the world, Largest air force in the world ( yes more aircrafts then the air force), one of the two tier 1 operators in America with devgru, floating nuke launchers,  floating hostpitals, construction crews with seabees, ect, ect. Plus now lasers and rail guns.

I love the Navy. Most deadly branch by far.

7 days ago
11/15/04

Didn’t watch the video but if I remember correctly, it’s not as exciting as it sounds? The laser locks on the target and has to stay concentrated on it for awhile to burn a hole in the object?

The railgun is much more interesting IMO. 

7 days ago
3/18/02

i doubt the navy would make a lazer that doesnt work or is low percentage

7 days ago
1/1/01

Interesting. Since it seems to have to be focused on the same spot for a period of time, it seems the cool technology is being able to stay focused on the spot despite the object moving, and the ship moving. 

Depending on how precise and affordable the technology gets, I wonder what other uses they'll come up with for the technology. Like would it be worth it to do space observations from the middle of the ocean where there's no light pollution 

7 days ago
1/1/01

That's all great until they start putting mirrors on the planes.

7 days ago
10/21/14
odd headline. destroy an aircraft mid flight? wow! not like those missiles that destroy an aircraft....umm....not mid flight? :D
7 days ago
6/5/03
tumbleweed - odd headline. destroy an aircraft mid flight? wow! not like those missiles that destroy an aircraft....umm....not mid flight? :D

Lol

7 days ago
3/4/03

Great job Val Kilmer!

7 days ago
7/31/09
LiveWire -

Didn’t watch the video but if I remember correctly, it’s not as exciting as it sounds? The laser locks on the target and has to stay concentrated on it for awhile to burn a hole in the object?

The railgun is much more interesting IMO. 

If its like the video I watched a year or two ago its not "a while." And the laser didn't have any problem staying concentrated on it for the few seconds it took to down the plane.

Awesome technology.

7 days ago
1/1/01
tumbleweed - odd headline. destroy an aircraft mid flight? wow! not like those missiles that destroy an aircraft....umm....not mid flight? :D

Well there are advantages with the laser.

For one, the ammo is dirt cheap.   And it reaches the target about a million times faster than the fastest missle.

7 days ago
1/1/01

That technology on a satellite or a drone......Star Wars

7 days ago
10/21/14
Soup and Beer - 
tumbleweed - odd headline. destroy an aircraft mid flight? wow! not like those missiles that destroy an aircraft....umm....not mid flight? :D

Well there are advantages with the laser.

For one, the ammo is dirt cheap.   And it reaches the target about a million times faster than the fastest missle.

i know. i was just saying the headline is funny.

the real question is range. anti ship missiles have long ranges. 100+ NM. most warship defenses aren't designed around anti-aircraft ability, but anti-missile ability.
7 days ago
3/18/02
Samoa - 

That technology on a satellite or a drone......Star Wars

I guarantee the US is already there ready to blast 

dirty chinese space assets 

7 days ago
4/24/07

Techincally couldn't it sink a ship too? If you keep firing that thing in the same spot on at the hull of a ship won't it eventually destroy it? If its going through a plane then we are just talking about a matter of time not energy. They are essentially made out of the same type of things. 

7 days ago
4/24/07

Air to ground?

7 days ago
2/4/06

Sayonara China! 

7 days ago
7/12/03
David@accu - 

Techincally couldn't it sink a ship too? If you keep firing that thing in the same spot on at the hull of a ship won't it eventually destroy it? If its going through a plane then we are just talking about a matter of time not energy. They are essentially made out of the same type of things. 

Huge difference is thickness of metal...

7 days ago
3/10/05

7 days ago
2/8/18
Vindell -

Largest Navy in the world, Largest air force in the world ( yes more aircrafts then the air force), one of the two tier 1 operators in America with devgru, floating nuke launchers,  floating hostpitals, construction crews with seabees, ect, ect. Plus now lasers and rail guns.

I love the Navy. Most deadly branch by far.

Wrong on the aircraft. Air Force is number one with aircraft, followed by the Army. Navy combined with USMC comes in third. In terms of deadliest, I never knew the Navy to drop nukes and end world wars.

7 days ago
2/9/12

Seal Team 6 all say

7 days ago
4/24/07
pcuzz - 
David@accu - 

Huge difference is thickness of metal...

Yes which is why I said it's not a matter of energy but time. We have a lazer that can penetrate metal in a fashion that destroys it. So what I was going to get at is I wonder how long or how many shots it would take to sink a ship.