OtherGround Forums "No Knock" Wrong House. Dead EMT.

21 days ago
5/13/11

To boot, they already had the right suspect in CUSTODY at the time they broke into the house.

https://www-kiro7-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.kiro7.com/news/trending/breonna-taylor-family-files-lawsuit-after-louisville-police-shoot-emt-8-times-wrong-house-raid

21 days ago
5/13/11

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Breonna Taylor was pulling long hours at two of Louisville’s hospitals as an emergency room technician and certified EMT working on the front lines of the coronavirus pandemic as the disease began spreading throughout the U.S.

Taylor was home asleep with her boyfriend in the early morning hours of March 13 when police officers executing a drug warrant busted down their door and opened fire, killing her. The 26-year-old was shot at least eight times.

No drugs were found in the couple’s home. Neither Taylor nor her boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, had a history of drug arrests, according to a lawsuit filed by her family.

Taylor’s aunt, Bianca Austin, told WHAS-11 in Louisville that her niece had no connection to drugs. Taylor, who became certified as an EMT in 2017, worked as an emergency room technician at the University of Louisville Health’s Jewish Hospital East. She also worked as needed at Norton Healthcare, the Louisville Courier Journal reported.

“She was already an accomplished and certified EMT for the City of Louisville and currently worked for UofL as a medical tech," Austin told the news station. “This is not a woman who would sacrifice her life and her family morals and values to sell drugs on the street.”

21 days ago
5/13/11

The family’s lawsuit, filed April 27, alleges that the officers not only went into the wrong home but were seeking a suspect who had been arrested earlier in the day and was already in police custody at the time of the shooting.

Taylor’s mother, Tamika Palmer, is the plaintiff in the lawsuit. Palmer said in an interview that she has been kept in the dark about her daughter’s death.

“Not one person has talked to me. Not one person has explained anything to me,” Palmer said, according to The Washington Post. “I want justice for her. I want them to say her name. There’s no reason Breonna should be dead at all.”

Read the initial complaint in the lawsuit filed by Breonna Taylor’s family below, courtesy of the Courier Journal.

21 days ago
3/14/04

They just wanted to get home safely to their families. 

And because of qualified immunity, not a goddamn thing will happen to them. 

21 days ago
5/13/11

Conrad and Lt. Ted Eidem, who heads the police department’s Public Integrity Unit, released preliminary information the afternoon of March 13, less than 15 hours after Taylor’s death. Body camera footage was not available because the officers involved, all of whom are part of the department’s Criminal Interdiction Division, do not wear cameras, Conrad said.

The chief identified the three officers as Detective Brett Hankison, Detective Myles Cosgrove and Sgt. Jonathan Mattingly. All have been placed on administrative reassignment while the investigation into the shooting is conducted.

Eidem said Hankison, Cosgrove and Mattingly were serving the warrant around 12:40 a.m. that day at Taylor’s apartment complex in the 3000 block of Springfield Drive.

“The officers knocked on the door several times and announced their presence as police who were there with a search warrant,” Eidem said. “The officers forced entry into the exterior door and were immediately met by gunfire.”

Watch the Louisville Metro Police Department’s news conference on the shooting below.

Watch the Louisville Metro Police Department’s news conference on the shooting below.

Palmer’s lawsuit disputes those claims. The suit alleges that neighbors who witnessed the events said officers went in without knocking or identifying themselves.

“The defendants then proceeded to spray gunfire into the residence with a total disregard for the value of human life,” the lawsuit states. “Shots were blindly fired by the officers all throughout Breonna’s home and also into the adjacent home, where a 5-year-old child and a pregnant mother had been sleeping.”

Walker, who has a license to carry a firearm, kept weapons in their home for protection, according to the lawsuit. He picked up a gun and fired at the men coming into the apartment, the attorneys claim.

Walker’s shot struck Mattingly in the leg. After undergoing surgery, the officer is expected to make a full recovery, Conrad said.

Walker, 27, has been charged with attempted murder of a police officer and first-degree assault, Louisville Metro Jail records show.

21 days ago
5/13/11

The suit alleges Walker, who also called 911, believed the apartment “had been broken into by criminals and that they were in significant, imminent danger.” The document states that the officers fired through closed windows, curtains and blinds.

The more than 20 shots fired by police struck objects in the living room, dining room, kitchen, bathroom and both bedrooms, according to the lawsuit.

In contrast, Walker’s attorney told the Courier Journal, his client fired a single shot, which struck Mattingly.

“Had Mr. Walker known that police were outside, he would have opened the door and ushered them in,” Eggert told the newspaper.

21 days ago
7/19/11

Wow

21 days ago
12/17/06

I'll say the same thing I did on the other thread...

No knocks are fucking ridiculous. Every American has a right to defend their home.

21 days ago
12/6/16

No knock is a huge problem.

I wish the media would cover these sorts of stories instead of making huge deals out of cases that aren't cut and dry like Michael Brown, Arbery, etc.

21 days ago
3/14/04

"The suit alleges Walker, who also called 911, believed the apartment “had been broken into by criminals and that they were in significant, imminent danger.”"

Walker was 100% right about all of it.  The apartment had in fact been broken into by criminals and they were in significant imminent danger.  It's too bad the occupants of the place didn't have more firepower.  

21 days ago
5/13/11
Altofsky -

No knocks are fucking ridiculous. Every American has a right to defend their home.

My bad. Searched the front page and didn't see a thread on this one. 

21 days ago
12/6/16

Another terrible no knock was when cops critically injured a 1 year old when they accidently threw a flashbang into his crib

www.washingtonpost.com%2Fnews%2Fthe-watch%2Fwp%2F2014%2F05%2F30%2Fgeorgia-toddler-critically-injured-by-polices-flash-grenade%2F&usg=AOvVaw3bkmuKXn4S9Mc5gacMklR9

21 days ago
5/13/11
CharlesMartel -

I wish the media would cover these sorts of stories instead of making huge deals out of cases that aren't cut and dry like Michael Brown, Arbery, etc.

It is all over MSM I just picked a more localized source so as to not have the standard '(Insert MSM name) is FAKE NEWS!' responses. 

21 days ago
11/1/19

Too bad the homeowner didn’t have an AR-15.. Level the playing field a bit.

21 days ago
5/13/11
Charles Barkley -

FP had a thread on this yesterday. 

This wasn’t a “wrong address” situation. There was a warrant for the house with a no-knock addendum. 

That means a judge read it and agreed the officers had PC to make entry into the home and there were mitigating factors to necessitate the absence of a knock and announce. 

That tells me either the warrant was bullshit, the magistrate was negligent, or there is more to the story. Or some combination thereof. 

Their lawsuit claims it was the wrong address. 

Possibly apartment number mix up since it was a complex? Neither her nor her man had any crimjnal history that I can find. 

Either way, the most fucked up part is that the actual suspect (presumably named in the warrant) was already arrested earlier that day, yet the raid went on...

21 days ago
12/6/16
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -
CharlesMartel -

It is all over MSM I just picked a more localized source so as to not have the standard '(Insert MSM name) is FAKE NEWS!' responses. 

That's good.  I understand what you're saying about MSM and political polarization but hopefully one thing that everyone can get behind is how bad no knocks are and that everyone has a right to defend their home.

21 days ago
11/3/14

Wasn't it part of the warrant as they were tracking a package that was picked up from there?

21 days ago
5/13/11
Charles Barkley -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -
Charles Barkley -

FP had a thread on this yesterday. 

This wasn’t a “wrong address” situation. There was a warrant for the house with a no-knock addendum. 

That means a judge read it and agreed the officers had PC to make entry into the home and there were mitigating factors to necessitate the absence of a knock and announce. 

That tells me either the warrant was bullshit, the magistrate was negligent, or there is more to the story. Or some combination thereof. 

Their lawsuit claims it was the wrong address. 

Possibly apartment number mix up since it was a complex? Neither her nor her man had any crimjnal history that I can find. 

Either way, the most fucked up part is that the actual suspect (presumably named in the warrant) was already arrested earlier that day, yet the raid went on...

No idea. This was from FP’s article yesterday:

“The warrant executed just before 1 a.m. March 13, however, did include Taylor's home.”

It doesn’t make a difference. Situation is fucked and indicative of a bigger issue. But, as always, there could be more to the story. 

I’d be interested to read the search warrant affidavits. 

Maybe an LEO or lawyer can comment. 

It is possible that the warrant was written for the wrong address. I believe I have read of that happening before and somehow the lawyers of the plaintiffs in the lawsuit were able to prove it. 

Maybe that's what is happening here. Like mixing up digits or an "ave" vs "street" when they drafted the warrant? 

Who knows.

No knocks are fucking insane. I can understand using them in a VERY limited scope with very strict requirements for judges approval. Known violent/armed threats or something. It seems like all it has to be is drug related and these special task forces are granted them at will. 

21 days ago
9/20/19

Drugs don’t warrant military exercises. Just let people get fucked up. This shit is so misguided. It’s about money and control. 

21 days ago
12/17/06
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
Altofsky -

The more eyes on how disgusting this policy is, the better.

21 days ago
11/16/17

I have zero issue if you shot a cop when they go no knock.

It should be 1000000 illegal to barge into a house.

21 days ago
4/11/14

Paramilitary police just doing what they do.

21 days ago
5/13/11
Altofsky -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
Altofsky -

The more eyes on how disgusting this policy is, the better.

Yup. 

Edited: 21 days ago
1/1/01

The death penalty should be given to every officer that fired their weapon in that raid.

21 days ago
1/1/01

"Walker, 27, has been charged with attempted murder of a police officer and first-degree assault,"

Id fucking LOVE to be on that jury.