OtherGround Forums OG doc. AMA on COVID-19

15 days ago
7/28/08
mdmrules -
arc123 -
Rahjai MD -

Jesus america is heading towards another shutdown.    

Good job following simple requests laid out by professionals

The second shut down was always going to happen. 

Tell that to all the other countries in the west:

I wasn’t talking about numbers of cases, it’s been pertinently obvious from the start that a second lockdown is what certain quarters will push for. 

15 days ago
11/16/09
mdmrules -
arc123 -
Rahjai MD -

Jesus america is heading towards another shutdown.    

Good job following simple requests laid out by professionals

The second shut down was always going to happen. 

Tell that to all the other countries in the west:

Well, fella, that's cause those countries ain't free, and don't have a constitution that gives them the god given right to assemble, to party, to shoot guns, to storm government buildings armed to the teeth and to not have their god given rights trampled on by fascist, communist, marxist big government deep state shills!

YEEEHAAAAAAW

15 days ago
6/29/09
is there a financial incentive for hospitals to list Covid as one of the causes of death?
Edited: 12 days ago
10/23/05
morotetsuke - is there a financial incentive for hospitals to list Covid as one of the causes of death?

The cause of death is not determined by hospitals but by docs.

So I'd imagine you'd have to ask if docs get some incentives to declare COVID instead of something else. I can tell you that none of the docs I work with have had any push from anyone to change how we sign off on a death certificate.

Hospitals do get some additional government funding for many things. For example, if we double our dialysis cohort, there will be increased money. Same is true for COVID.
12 days ago
2/4/09

What a price. Is this why there was such a push for this?

12 days ago
4/12/04

Decrease in hospitalization in Texas reported today

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/06/16/this-dashboard-tracks-the-daily-hospital-capacity-for-general-icu-beds-in-the-houston-area/

12 days ago
10/23/05
NoNeed4aScreenName - 

What a price. Is this why there was such a push for this?

Yup, crazy. New therapeutics are really expensive. I had expected as such.

I'm still not sold on remdesivir. Well tolerated, yes. But efficacy data (discussed on this thread) remain dubious.

12 days ago
4/16/13
Kona Silat -

Decrease in hospitalization in Texas reported today

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/06/16/this-dashboard-tracks-the-daily-hospital-capacity-for-general-icu-beds-in-the-houston-area/

No. Check out the Texas COVID-Dashboard and click on the Hospitals - Statewide tab to see the day by day breakdowns. Most states have a COVID dashboard you can use to check out the trends for each state.

https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/0d8bdf9be927459d9cb11b9eaef6101f

400 more people hospitalized today compared to yesterday. One of the biggest single day spikes they've had and I'm not a COVID alarmist.

Your link showed a 46 person drop in ICU patients in the Houston area. Nice, but kind of a blip in the bigger picture.

12 days ago
1/1/01

Hey Mataleo,

Thanks for all your level-headed advice and time on this and other threads.

One question, have you or any of your colleagues had experience with the new Lilly/Abcellera antibody treatment in early stage trials?  I knew they had an arm at NYU Grossman.

It’s based on a protective antibody from an infected/recovered patient that was isolated and characterized in record time.  Although destined to be an injectable, my thought it is might be the best option for a ‘bridging’ treatment for severe disease until a vaccine is developed (may take a couple of years).

cheers,

jbc

12 days ago
10/23/05
jbc - 

Hey Mataleo,

One question, have you or any of your colleagues had experience with the new Lilly/Abcellera antibody treatment in early stage trials?  I knew they had an arm at NYU Grossman.

It’s based on a protective antibody from an infected/recovered patient that was isolated and characterized in record time.  Although destined to be an injectable, my thought it is might be the best option for a ‘bridging’ treatment for severe disease until a vaccine is developed (may take a couple of years).

cheers,

jbc

Thank you for contributing. I've agreed with pretty much every thing you've said to date so it makes my job a lot easier :)

I'm still stuck in Montreal so I haven't seen anything first hand. Only convalescent plasma which has been promising.

The main problem again is timing. You need it in the infectious phase. But then how to select to whom to give it? It will be too expensive to give to everyone. And it might not be very effective in the inflammatory phase.

12 days ago
5/27/14

What do you say about the misinformation going around about masks? Apparently cloth masks are no good, surgical masks only protect others from infected people? I personally wear a mask when I'm at the store, around a lot of people. Otherwise if in a fairly empty park I'm maskless. 

12 days ago
1/1/01
mataleo1 -
jbc - 

Hey Mataleo,

cheers,

jbc

Thank you for contributing. I've agreed with pretty much every thing you've said to date so it makes my job a lot easier :)

I'm still stuck in Montreal so I haven't seen anything first hand. Only convalescent plasma which has been promising.

The main problem again is timing. You need it in the infectious phase. But then how to select to whom to give it? It will be too expensive to give to everyone. And it might not be very effective in the inflammatory phase.

Yep, point taken. It may work in mild to moderate disease to decrease viral load faster than placebo. Not sure how it will pan out in more severe cases.

12 days ago
10/23/05
rookybobby - 

What do you say about the misinformation going around about masks? Apparently cloth masks are no good, surgical masks only protect others from infected people? I personally wear a mask when I'm at the store, around a lot of people. Otherwise if in a fairly empty park I'm maskless. 

Misinformation regarding everything is rampant.

Cloth masks will mostly protect others if you're infected. But it will provide minimal protection for you (but better than nothing).

I do the same as you. I put it on when I'm inside with people (especially vulnerable people, including my parents). Outside I usually don't.

12 days ago
10/23/05
jbc - 
mataleo1 -
jbc - 

Hey Mataleo,

cheers,

jbc

Yep, point taken. It may work in mild to moderate disease to decrease viral load faster than placebo. Not sure how it will pan out in more severe cases.

And you could argue that mild/moderate cases will do well anyways. So I'm not sure what the place for it, unless it is really inexpensive (unlikely). Maybe health care workers who have bigger viral loads?

What would be ideal is to identify who is likely to do badly on early parameters.

12 days ago
5/27/14
mataleo1 -
rookybobby - 

Cloth masks will mostly protect others if you're infected. But it will provide minimal protection for you (but better than nothing).

I do the same as you. I put it on when I'm inside with people (especially vulnerable people, including my parents). Outside I usually don't.

Is there a mask that protects you from those that are infected? Is it just the n95? 

12 days ago
10/23/05
rookybobby - 
mataleo1 -
rookybobby - 

Is there a mask that protects you from those that are infected? Is it just the n95? 

n95 definitely

surgical masks are better than cloth masks

Here's a few simple articles: https://curistrelief.com/blogs/curist/coronavirus-masks-n95-vs-surgical-vs-cloth-vs-homemade

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/personal-protective-equipment-infection-control/n95-respirators-surgical-masks-and-face-masks

12 days ago
5/27/14
mataleo1 -
rookybobby - 
mataleo1 -
rookybobby - 

n95 definitely

Here's a few simple articles: https://curistrelief.com/blogs/curist/coronavirus-masks-n95-vs-surgical-vs-cloth-vs-homemade

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/personal-protective-equipment-infection-control/n95-respirators-surgical-masks-and-face-masks

thank you! 

11 days ago
9/30/09
mataleo1 -
rookybobby - 
mataleo1 -
rookybobby - 

n95 definitely

Bro. If Kirik and the mods don’t give u a lifetime blue name.  It’s a sin. 

11 days ago
10/11/18
BostonCharm -
mataleo1 -
rookybobby - 
mataleo1 -
rookybobby - 

n95 definitely

So much this.

Edited: 11 days ago
12/2/05
BostonCharm -
mataleo1 -
rookybobby - 
mataleo1 -
rookybobby - 

n95 definitely

This!!

Mataleo for patron saint of the OG!

11 days ago
10/23/05

He got me a 20% voucher at Little Caesars, so it's all good :)

OG has been good to me over the years, happy to be part of the community.

11 days ago
10/23/05

Funny anecdote. I was on the site yesterday from a coffeeshop and answering some questions, when I see GSP coming in. He stayed there a while. Didn't say anything except "hey champ".

11 days ago
7/15/11

Mata, what’s your thought on how many of the world’s population will eventually get this? I’ve had it so I’m just genuinely interested iyo. No fear here but I remember estimates being 75 to 80% back in March/April.

11 days ago
10/23/05
Matrix - 

Mata, what’s your thought on how many of the world’s population will eventually get this? I’ve had it so I’m just genuinely interested iyo. No fear here but I remember estimates being 75 to 80% back in March/April.

In some cities, it has surpassed 20%. But, yes, estimates are that anywhere between 60 and 80% will eventually get it, unless a vaccine becomes available quickly. We also will have to see if people can get re-infected after 6-12 months (assuming no vaccine).

11 days ago
10/11/18
mataleo1 -

Funny anecdote. I was on the site yesterday from a coffeeshop and answering some questions, when I see GSP coming in. He stayed there a while. Didn't say anything except "hey champ".

That's because you are the champ.  

What did you reply?