OtherGround Forums OG doc. AMA on COVID-19

3/16/20 11:15 AM
7/10/12
youarewhatiswrong -
Rabid Bunyip -
Sur2eaL -
Caladan -

Have you guys seen a lot of random unexplained viral infections this year affecting the upper respiratory system? More than usual I mean, of people who aren't positive for anything on the normal flu test?

I've had this theory for a few days now that this shit has been here for awhile and everyone has or has had it. We've heard for awhile now how this is an extra bad flu year and I've heard so many anecsotes of people who have had a weird viral infection that they "just can't quite shake".

I feel the same way, around 2-4 weeks ago, myself and an entire warehouse of about 50-60 workers depending on the night, all got sick, I mean everybody, some worse than others but we all had the same symptoms, dry cough, fever, body aches and difficulty breathing.

I felt I got it pretty bad, I was sick for 3 1/2 weeks, the first 2 weeks was pure hell, constant dry cough, night sweats multiple times, terrible fever. 

One night it snowed really bad and I had to shovel some snow, only took about 20 mins but I was absolutely destroyed, I could barely breathe, felt like I was going to pass out and it started getting very difficult to breathe, I started choking and coughing, my eyes burst with water, it legit scared the hell out of me, luckily my wife had an inhaler, I used that and it helped me breathe. The last week and a half it SLOWLY started going away.

I literally felt like I was going to die, I was so messed up, I can easily see how an elderly person or somebody with existing health conditions can die from this.

I truly believe its been here and has been for a while and we were just getting told it's a severe flu this year and let it run its course. We just haven't been getting tested until recently. 

You blokes do know this virus was first identified in Dec 19 right?

Not in the US it wasn’t.

You’re right the first case wasn’t on US shores until January.

3/16/20 11:22 AM
10/23/05
The_Pundits_Ghost - 

Just saw this online. Im guessing you would agree with this statement?

View this post on Instagram

I received the following text from an ER doctor in NYC this morning. It underscores how bad things might get and how important it is to isolate now, if possible. Here's the text: “Please spread the word to all of your nyc friends that this situation is sooooo bad!!!! Testing is frighteningly inadequate. While I do think our hospital system is doing the best it can and even doing in house testing now, they can still only do 180 tests/day, so we can only test people who are getting admitted to the hospital and sick healthcare workers. No one is testing sick people in the community!!! And we are seeing tons of them and turning them away. It is truly frightening. The life threatening lung issues are most common in the 2nd week of illness, so I think it’s going to get really bad in a week. My colleagues and I are all getting really scared and feel that the city is unprepared. Anyway, please don’t use my name or hospital affiliation, but I would definitely spread the word that everyone needs to be isolating themselves as much as possible. This may be obvious at this point, but I felt it my duty to warn people.”

A post shared by Tim Ferriss (@timferriss) on

Yes... Very much the prevailing feeling. Yet, I'm still reading on here that this is a political thing that is pushed on by left media.

I've been through SARS, Swine Flu, Norwalk, H1N1. I've never seen anything like this...

Edited: 3/16/20 11:36 AM
6/29/09

It seems that people who have it but no underlying medical issues, and are under a certain age, are sent home to recover. Is treatment similar to a bad case of the flu in that sense, i.e. rest and fluids?

3/16/20 11:39 AM
10/23/05
punchdrunkMMA - 

It seems that people who have it but no underlying medical issues, and are under a certain age, are sent home to recover. Is treatment similar to a bad case of the flu in that sense, i.e. rest and fluids?

Yes, absolutely. And close surveillance if symptoms worsen

Edited: 3/16/20 11:54 AM
2/27/11

You read the same things in European countries, dont think that they've been doing better, even here in Italy they only have the resources to test for COVID the patients with severe symptoms, for just a fever and coungh you are told to stay home and isolated. What really makes a difference is when you struggle to breathe.

And i've heard even worse things from other Euro contries.

What i see in the US is the same i've seen in Italy a couple of weeks ago. You are figuring out this isnt a joke.

This isnt even the end of the world though, the autorites are going to gradually shut down activites to slow down the spread of the contagion, lower the curve as they say, just stay the fuck home, even if you are young and with little risk to die from this (almost none), you can get infected and infect your old relatives and kill them, or even not your relatives but anybody else.

Stay home as much as you can.

Here in Italy, and i am in Lombardy the hardest hit region, I could go out grocery shopping every day, it's allowed, but i've stocked up pretty early, im a bit of a "moderate prepper" and i also want to see how much i last with the food i have, havent left house for days, just going in the garden to catch some air and sun, good thing i can work from home and i know many cant, but if you can, just dont leave home, remember every time you leave you could literally kill people.

3/16/20 11:57 AM
10/23/05
pidgey - 

You read the same things in European countries, dont think that they've been doing better, even here in Italy they only have the resources to test for COVID the patients with severe symptoms, for just a fever and coungh you are told to stay home and isolated. What really makes a difference is when you struggle to breathe.

And i've heard even worse things from other Euro contries.

What i see in the US is the same i've seen in Italy a couple of weeks ago. You are figuring out this isnt a joke.

This isnt even the end of the world though, the autorites are going to gradually shut down activites to slow down the spread of the contagion, lower the curve as they say, just stay the fuck home, even if you are young and with little risk to die from this (almost none), you can get infected and infect your old relatives and kill them, or even not your relatives but anybody else.

Stay home as much as you can.

Here in Italy, and i am in Lombardy the hardest hit region, I could go out grocery shopping every day, it's allowed, but i've stocked up pretty early, im a bit of a "moderate prepper" and i also want to see how much i last with the food i have, havent left house for days, just going in the garden to catch some air and sun, good thing i can work from home and i know many cant, but if you can, just dont leave home, remember every time you leave you could literally kill people.

Very good post.

Stay safe man.

If the Chinese example is something that is indeed true, Italy should see a lot less new cases in the next week.

3/16/20 12:03 PM
5/8/09
What do you do when you have chest tightness, shortness of breath and you start feeling light headed? I don't know if I'm being a pussy lol. I have a test tomorrow that I wish was today. Went to bed last night worried I might not wake up lol. Wish I could cough this out and wish I had an oxygen meter to see if it's just anxiety or actually something serious.
3/16/20 12:07 PM
10/23/05
PoopingTom - What do you do when you have chest tightness, shortness of breath and you start feeling light headed? I don't know if I'm being a pussy lol. I have a test tomorrow that I wish was today. Went to bed last night worried I might not wake up lol. Wish I could cough this out and wish I had an oxygen meter to see if it's just anxiety or actually something serious.

If you don't have cough or temperature, it's likely something else, like a panic attack (or something more serious like a coronary event). Don't take chances, chest tightness and shortness of breath are serious symptoms, regardless of COVID

3/16/20 12:08 PM
8/11/12

3/16/20 12:12 PM
5/8/09
mataleo1 - 
PoopingTom - What do you do when you have chest tightness, shortness of breath and you start feeling light headed? I don't know if I'm being a pussy lol. I have a test tomorrow that I wish was today. Went to bed last night worried I might not wake up lol. Wish I could cough this out and wish I had an oxygen meter to see if it's just anxiety or actually something serious.

If you don't have cough or temperature, it's likely something else, like a panic attack (or something more serious like a coronary event). Don't take chances, chest tightness and shortness of breath are serious symptoms, regardless of COVID

Ok thanks.
Edited: 3/16/20 12:23 PM
11/17/10

OP

is it true that NYC hospitals are in severe shortage of protective med supplies such as masks, googles, disinfectant?

a couple of people who work at some hospitals said this was true and could be on the brink of a crisis above the current crisis if measures arent taken

3/16/20 12:23 PM
10/23/05
In Limbo - 

OP

is it true that NYC hospitals are in severe shortage of protective med supplies such as masks, googles, disinfectant?

a couple of people who work at some hospitals said this was true and could be on the brink of a crisis above the current crisis if measures arent taken

Very variable. I just left NYC this morning but we were ok as of yesterday.

3/16/20 12:28 PM
12/29/03

Took the wife to the kidney doc this morning (pre planned visit).

She is on immunosupressants due to a kidney transplant 10 years ago. The doctor said she is actually in good shape because the medications she is on, slightly reduce her immune responses and thus would not cause the amount of lung inflammation a normal healthy immune system would. Her immune system is still strong enough to fight it, but won't over react to cause significant issues.

He said technically she is more susceptible to the initial infection, but because it's so virulent anyway, it's not enough of a difference to worry about. 

3/16/20 12:31 PM
12/12/07
mataleo1 -
captainplanet - 
androb -
mataleo1 -
tbizzle - 

Why is COVID-19 more dangerous than swine flu when 60 million Americans were infected and 300,000 were hospitalized? There was no where near this amount of panic back then. 

We don't have exact data to compare and numbers might be completely off, but, based on what we have, I can break it down quickly:

Mortality: for swine flu (in the US) was about 4k/22 million and preliminary data from Italy and Spain is that it's somewhere between 2-5%

Acute Care necessity: around 0.2% for swine flue and about 10-15% for COVID-19.

Hospitalizations: about 1-2% for swine flu, about 25% for COVID

Again, the numbers might be completely different as we know more, but it seems reasonable to be prepared.

That’s from Italy. (Not sure why Italy is such a hotbed) but there are other countries reporting numbers not nearly so scary. 

and a previous post of yours says 90% of people showing symptoms that are tested are coming back negative 

Italy is a hot bed because they didn’t take the virus serious at all. So when the virus spread, they weren’t able to handle the amount of cases they were receiving to the point where if you were considered a high mortality chance, they’d send you home to die. 

That is inaccurate. I think this has been answered somewhere. But Italy were relatively proactive and ready to face this (which doesn't mean they didn't make errors)

To clarify, Italy didn’t impose any quarantines until last week or so? And people are still out and about on the streets, which is why the virus has spread faster than other countries. To clarify, the people aren’t taking it serious and that can be verified by numerous sources including my ex-pat friends. 

3/16/20 12:59 PM
10/23/05
captainplanet - 
mataleo1 -
captainplanet - 
androb -
mataleo1 -
tbizzle - 

Why is COVID-19 more dangerous than swine flu when 60 million Americans were infected and 300,000 were hospitalized? There was no where near this amount of panic back then. 

We don't have exact data to compare and numbers might be completely off, but, based on what we have, I can break it down quickly:

Mortality: for swine flu (in the US) was about 4k/22 million and preliminary data from Italy and Spain is that it's somewhere between 2-5%

Again, the numbers might be completely different as we know more, but it seems reasonable to be prepared.

That’s from Italy. (Not sure why Italy is such a hotbed) but there are other countries reporting numbers not nearly so scary. 

and a previous post of yours says 90% of people showing symptoms that are tested are coming back negative 

Italy is a hot bed because they didn’t take the virus serious at all. So when the virus spread, they weren’t able to handle the amount of cases they were receiving to the point where if you were considered a high mortality chance, they’d send you home to die. 

That is inaccurate. I think this has been answered somewhere. But Italy were relatively proactive and ready to face this (which doesn't mean they didn't make errors)

To clarify, Italy didn’t impose any quarantines until last week or so? And people are still out and about on the streets, which is why the virus has spread faster than other countries. To clarify, the people aren’t taking it serious and that can be verified by numerous sources including my ex-pat friends. 

I disagree.

You're saying it's spreading faster than other countries, which is true. But you're saying it's because quarantines are not enforced and because they're not taking it seriously. Italy has quarantined more, better and earlier than everyone in Europe, and they have one of the better health care systems (especially in the north).

Edited: 3/16/20 1:01 PM
2/4/09
The_Pundits_Ghost -

I received the following text from an ER doctor in NYC this morning. It underscores how bad things might get and how important it is to isolate now, if possible. Here's the text: “Please spread the word to all of your nyc friends that this situation is sooooo bad!!!! Testing is frighteningly inadequate. While I do think our hospital system is doing the best it can and even doing in house testing now, they can still only do 180 tests/day, so we can only test people who are getting admitted to the hospital and sick healthcare workers. No one is testing sick people in the community!!! And we are seeing tons of them and turning them away. It is truly frightening. The life threatening lung issues are most common in the 2nd week of illness, so I think it’s going to get really bad in a week. My colleagues and I are all getting really scared and feel that the city is unprepared. Anyway, please don’t use my name or hospital affiliation, but I would definitely spread the word that everyone needs to be isolating themselves as much as possible. This may be obvious at this point, but I felt it my duty to warn people.”

Theres also some fear mongering going in the same manner as the old email forwards. 

SIft through the disinformation

3/16/20 1:03 PM
8/11/12
captainplanet -
mataleo1 -
captainplanet - 
androb -
mataleo1 -
tbizzle - 

Are you a hero? Will you take pollution down to zero?

3/16/20 1:09 PM
2/4/09
NoNeed4aScreenName -
The_Pundits_Ghost -

Theres also some fear mongering going in the same manner as the old email forwards. 

Canada is taking this opportunity to take a jab at Russians but its seems the UK is already expecting this

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5497805

3/16/20 1:22 PM
1/1/01

I had an elective surgery scheduled for this week.

Hospital just called, all non life threatening (elective) surgeries cancelled till further notice.

Shit starting to get real. Even the hospital said stay the fuck away from anyone. Too many that have this out there wandering around.

3/16/20 1:36 PM
12/12/07
mataleo1 - 
captainplanet - 
mataleo1 -
captainplanet - 
androb -
mataleo1 -
tbizzle - 

I disagree.

You're saying it's spreading faster than other countries, which is true. But you're saying it's because quarantines are not enforced and because they're not taking it seriously. Italy has quarantined more, better and earlier than everyone in Europe, and they have one of the better health care systems (especially in the north).

I'm using the term incorrectly. People were not self-isolating/social distancing themselves until the government imposed restrictions recently. And even then, there are still people ignoring the restrictions. Which is why experts are saying the US is handling this worse than Italy and expect the virus to spread faster here than anywhere else.
3/16/20 1:38 PM
10/23/05
captainplanet - 
mataleo1 - 
captainplanet - 
mataleo1 -
captainplanet - 
androb -
mataleo1 -
tbizzle - 

I disagree.

I'm using the term incorrectly. People were not self-isolating/social distancing themselves until the government imposed restrictions recently. And even then, there are still people ignoring the restrictions. Which is why experts are saying the US is handling this worse than Italy and expect the virus to spread faster here than anywhere else.

Got it. I'm just arguing that there isn't a single country in Europe that is doing a better job than Italy, and no one has started earlier than Italy, yet Italy is faring the worst.

3/16/20 1:44 PM
11/17/10
NoNeed4aScreenName - 
The_Pundits_Ghost -

i personally spoke with Drs. and Nurses that work in some of NYC's most well known, public hospitals

..Bellevue Hospital (the flagship hospital of NYC....LAw & Order SVU always has seens there and about Bellevue hospital) emergency room, which is normally ocnsidered crazy, is beyond crazy at this point

there are so many people, that hallways are crowded, cops are sent in for crowd control and they are supposedly starting to set up tent screening centers outside on the city block

NY pres and methodist hospital is experiencing a severe shortage of surgical and protective masks, gloves, swabs, goggles, etc......and are prioritizing who they hand them out to....meaning  many staff who normally wear masks and gloves, may not have them at this time

it is very real, and the stress and panic you hear form the nurses and doctors working within those confines is very palpable

3/16/20 1:47 PM
10/23/05
In Limbo - 
NoNeed4aScreenName - 
The_Pundits_Ghost -

i personally spoke with Drs. and Nurses that work in some of NYC's most well known, public hospitals

..Bellevue Hospital (the flagship hospital of NYC....LAw & Order SVU always has seens there and about Bellevue hospital) emergency room, which is normally ocnsidered crazy, is beyond crazy at this point

there are so many people, that hallways are crowded, cops are sent in for crowd control and they are supposedly starting to set up tent screening centers outside on the city block

NY pres and methodist hospital is experiencing a severe shortage of surgical and protective masks, gloves, swabs, goggles, etc......and are prioritizing who they hand them out to....meaning  many staff who normally wear masks and gloves, may not have them at this time

it is very real, and the stress and panic you hear form the nurses and doctors working within those confines is very palpable

Thank you for reporting this and, no, this is not exaggerated in the slightest.

3/16/20 1:54 PM
2/27/11
In Limbo -
NoNeed4aScreenName - 
The_Pundits_Ghost -

Pre-triage tents is the first thing they should setup, otherwise ppl with Covid are going to infect EVERYBODY in the ER including nurses and doctors.

Edited: 3/16/20 2:00 PM
6/13/03
pidgey -
In Limbo -
NoNeed4aScreenName - 
The_Pundits_Ghost -

Pre-triage tents is the first thing they should setup, otherwise ppl with Covid are going to infect EVERYBODY in the ER including nurses and doctors.

We have them in front of the hospitals out here in Ca