OtherGround Forums OG doc. AMA on COVID-19

11 days ago
2/4/09
SC MMA MD -
NoNeed4aScreenName -

Dude is not verified so take it for what it's worth.

Likely pretty accurate for areas not swamped with COVID patients. Hospitals have stopped non-emergent procedures due to lack of PPE and lots of patients are rescheduling non-urgent outpatient visits to avoid going to medical centers and possibly being exposed. It is eerie how quiet the hospitals and clinics in my area are now

Hopefully someone from the other areas that are hit like Washington or california can say what their experiences have been in a hospital setting. 

I dont think we are going to experience anything like New York here. 

11 days ago
2/4/09
The Stewed Owl -
SC MMA MD - 
NoNeed4aScreenName -

Likely pretty accurate for areas not swamped with COVID patients. Hospitals have stopped non-emergent procedures due to lack of PPE and lots of patients are rescheduling non-urgent outpatient visits to avoid going to medical centers and possibly being exposed. It is eerie how quiet the hospitals and clinics in my area are now

Fewer people on the road and in the workplace may = fewer accidents, too. Also less non-COVID-19 communicable diseases being passed.

By cancelling elective surgeries we cut anywhere from 50-75 new admissions for the week already. 

I'm going to assume we also cancelled the day surgeries as well. 

The no visitor policy only further makes the hospital feel especially empty

11 days ago
3/18/14

Your thoughts on this OP?

11 days ago
12/11/05
^wow!^
11 days ago
9/8/02
rudiger - 

In public discussion of the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic in early 2020, Wodarg gained notoriety as an interviewee where he presented his thesis that SARS-CoV-2 was only one of many similar viruses which usually go undetected as part of an ordinary seasonal period of respiratory infections, and that the worldwide activities to stop the pandemic were "hype" caused by the selective perception of researchers.[4] He detailed his thesis in publications on his personal website.[5] Some put the numbers of casualties, infections and IC intake in Italy in 2020 in perspective to the Italian Flu-season of 2017/18 where approx 18,000 Italians died due to the flu.[6] Other scientists also pointed out the possible unreliability of the Corona-tests that were hastily approved without the normal peer-review and extensive testing, and mentioned a fatality rate of between 0,025% and 0,625% based on the only aselect population case available (the Diamond Princess) as possibly more realistic than the 3,4% that the WHO published and stressed the point that the world was at risk of "making decisions without reliable data".[7] Chinese scientists published on March 5th a report that concluded that "in the close contacts of COVID-19 patients, nearly half or even more of the 'asymptomatic infected individuals' reported in the active nucleic acid test screening might be false positives", corroborating the questions Wodarg raised in the interviews.[8] EuroMOMO European Mortality Monitor (EuroMOMO), mentioned by Wodarg in the interviews, tracks 'All-Cause Death Statistics' of 28 connected European countries since 2009. Their data up and until week 11, 2020 also does not - as Wodarg mentioned - show any indication of any excess mortality up until that date. It does show a decline of the weekly deaths and the end of a seemingly mild virus-season 2019/20.[9] Note: the EuroMOMO did add a disclaimer on its weekly updates stating to be cautious with interpreting their weekly data because of possible (administrative) delay and that local peaks in occurrences could not be visible in national statistics.
11 days ago
11/1/03
The Stewed Owl -
SC MMA MD - 
NoNeed4aScreenName -

Fewer people on the road and in the workplace may = fewer accidents, too. Also less non-COVID-19 communicable diseases being passed.

Keep in mind people protecting themselves against Corona virus are also protecting themselves against the regular flu, colds and other sicknesses.

11 days ago
3/4/03
jcblass - 
rudiger - 

In public discussion of the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic in early 2020, Wodarg gained notoriety as an interviewee where he presented his thesis that SARS-CoV-2 was only one of many similar viruses which usually go undetected as part of an ordinary seasonal period of respiratory infections, and that the worldwide activities to stop the pandemic were "hype" caused by the selective perception of researchers.[4] He detailed his thesis in publications on his personal website.[5] Some put the numbers of casualties, infections and IC intake in Italy in 2020 in perspective to the Italian Flu-season of 2017/18 where approx 18,000 Italians died due to the flu.[6] Other scientists also pointed out the possible unreliability of the Corona-tests that were hastily approved without the normal peer-review and extensive testing, and mentioned a fatality rate of between 0,025% and 0,625% based on the only aselect population case available (the Diamond Princess) as possibly more realistic than the 3,4% that the WHO published and stressed the point that the world was at risk of "making decisions without reliable data".[7] Chinese scientists published on March 5th a report that concluded that "in the close contacts of COVID-19 patients, nearly half or even more of the 'asymptomatic infected individuals' reported in the active nucleic acid test screening might be false positives", corroborating the questions Wodarg raised in the interviews.[8] EuroMOMO European Mortality Monitor (EuroMOMO), mentioned by Wodarg in the interviews, tracks 'All-Cause Death Statistics' of 28 connected European countries since 2009. Their data up and until week 11, 2020 also does not - as Wodarg mentioned - show any indication of any excess mortality up until that date. It does show a decline of the weekly deaths and the end of a seemingly mild virus-season 2019/20.[9] Note: the EuroMOMO did add a disclaimer on its weekly updates stating to be cautious with interpreting their weekly data because of possible (administrative) delay and that local peaks in occurrences could not be visible in national statistics.

Guess we won't see this in the MSM
11 days ago
10/23/05
psychosphere - 
jcblass - 
rudiger - 

This is all interesting read.

We can argue all we want about mortality rates. I've been off of it for a while (even if I'm convinced this is at least 10x higher than we know for the flu).

However, the biggest metric (which really isn't a metric) that I am considering now are the sick cases in the ICU.

Of my 20+ year career, i have never seen anything like this. My colleagues are giving me dire updates on the situation in NY. I've been an attending for gang shootings, H1N1, drug party overdoses, methanol outbreaks. I have NEVER seen our ICUs swamped the way they are now. Deaths galore. And that's considering that everything elective is already cancelled (even aortic aneurysms repairs).

I know that this is unique to NY, but I hope people elsewhere don't get to experience this.

10 days ago
12/9/13
mataleo1 -
psychosphere - 
jcblass - 
rudiger - 

We can argue all we want about mortality rates. I've been off of it for a while (even if I'm convinced this is at least 10x higher than we know for the flu).

However, the biggest metric (which really isn't a metric) that I am considering now are the sick cases in the ICU.

Of my 20+ year career, i have never seen anything like this. My colleagues are giving me dire updates on the situation in NY. I've been an attending for gang shootings, H1N1, drug party overdoses, methanol outbreaks. I have NEVER seen our ICUs swamped the way they are now. Deaths galore. And that's considering that everything elective is already cancelled (even aortic aneurysms repairs).

I know that this is unique to NY, but I hope people elsewhere don't get to experience this.

its only to going to worse, Trump acted way too late.

It happened in Wuhan, Italy, Spain, Switserland and more countries will follow.

we are at war with an invisible enemy

10 days ago
9/8/02
Morpheus1976 - 
mataleo1 -
psychosphere - 
jcblass - 
rudiger - 

its only to going to worse, Trump acted way too late.

It happened in Wuhan, Italy, Spain, Switserland and more countries will follow.

we are at war with an invisible enemy

That's right, it's Trump's fault!!!

(could you imagine around the time of impeachment if Trump wanted to shut things down and restrict domestic travel!!!)

the left would lose their mind, "he is using this virus to distract us from the real issue, which is impeaching this mother fucker"

Honestly, Trump took the early step of restricting travel from China and the left lost their mind! "he is a hysterical racist!"

Go away with your politics.
10 days ago
7/30/06

I want to believe what is said in that video but it just doesnt match up with what is happening in the hospitals in these hot spots.

I hate how anxious I am just in general over all of this.

I have started to pull back from a lot of the news updates because it is just a rabbit hole of hysteria for the most part.

Edited: 10 days ago
11/23/10
jcblass -
rudiger - 

He’s right in the sense that you have to put it into perspective and be careful because the data is so incomplete at this point. And the measures to mitigate COVID-19 come at an economic and health care cost. Whether it ends up being good to err on the side of caution of the unknown remains to be seen - data on mortality/critical cases in Sweden (which has not locked down), will provide some indication, probably already in the coming week.

However, there is data available to begin to estimate the effect of COVID-19 on all-cause mortality in Lombardy. I’m using the figures reported at: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/,  

https://www.statista.com/statistics/569435/number-of-deaths-in-italy-by-region/ and https://www.statista.com/statistics/1099389/coronavirus-deaths-by-region-in-italy/ :

Approximate yearly all-cause mortality in Lombardy: 100000 (I haven’t been able to find mortality for each month, some variation is to be expected). That’s 8300 per month or 1920 per week on average.

COVID-19-associated mortality in Lombardy in the last month: 4.800.

About 60% of all COVID-associated deaths in Italy have occured in the last week, so if you apply that percentage to Lombardy, you get a weekly COVID-19-associated mortality of 2900.

Depending on where you put your timeline in the epidemic, you get different mortalities, but the number of deaths in Italy seems to have stabilized in the last week, so I think it’s fair to use that time-period: 2900 COVID-19-associated deaths vs. a weekly average of 1920 total expected deaths of all causes. Even if that’s a very crude estimate, it’s clear that this thing (when disseminated in a population and overwhelming health care resources) causes deaths on a much larger scale than influenza or the common non-SARS coronaviruses.

10 days ago
11/1/03
mataleo1 -
psychosphere - 
jcblass - 
rudiger - 

Good point, what the death rates are are interesting and can be useful for prepartation but if a hospital anywhere becomes overwhelmed people will die unnecessarily. Sadly it looks like we didn't ramp up fast enough at least in NY. Hope the calvery gets here soon.

10 days ago
10/5/05
NoNeed4aScreenName -
SC MMA MD -
NoNeed4aScreenName -

Hopefully someone from the other areas that are hit like Washington or california can say what their experiences have been in a hospital setting. 

My co-worker lives in the greater Seattle are and she said that it was nuts when the nursing home had the big outbreak.  People were freaking out then but she said things have calmed down a lot since.  

My College roommate's wife works in the PICU at a major NYC hospital and is telling us that it is absolutely horrifying.  

10 days ago
10/23/05
Fathead D - 
NoNeed4aScreenName -
SC MMA MD -
NoNeed4aScreenName -

My co-worker lives in the greater Seattle are and she said that it was nuts when the nursing home had the big outbreak.  People were freaking out then but she said things have calmed down a lot since.  

My College roommate's wife works in the PICU at a major NYC hospital and is telling us that it is absolutely horrifying.  

Horrifying was the exact word used by 2 of my fellows.

100 health workers dead of COVID in Europe, 10k were affected (so in quarantine)

10 days ago
2/25/12
jcblass -
rudiger - 

Is that from his website?

10 days ago
11/10/18
mataleo1 -
Fathead D - 
NoNeed4aScreenName -
SC MMA MD -
NoNeed4aScreenName -

100 health workers dead of COVID in Europe, 10k were affected (so in quarantine)

100 in all of Europe is horrifying? God help us if we ever face anything truly terrible. The west simply isn’t capable of winning another world war. 

10 days ago
10/23/05
Eskimo -
mataleo1 -
Fathead D - 
NoNeed4aScreenName -
SC MMA MD -
NoNeed4aScreenName -

100 in all of Europe is horrifying? God help us if we ever face anything truly terrible. The west simply isn’t capable of winning another world war. 

You got it wrong. The situation they're living is horrifying. Deluge of dying patients. WW2 was worse. What's your point? 

50 docs dead in the last 3 weeks. At least 50 nurses but they think it's a lot more. It happens. We know what we've signed up for. It's still shitty in my book.

10 days ago
11/10/18
mataleo1 -
Eskimo -
mataleo1 -
Fathead D - 
NoNeed4aScreenName -
SC MMA MD -
NoNeed4aScreenName -

You got it wrong. The situation they're living is horrifying. Deluge of dying patients. WW2 was worse. What's your point? 

50 docs dead in the last 3 weeks. At least 50 nurses but they think it's a lot more. It happens. We know what we've signed up for. It's still shitty in my book.

Definitely shitty. I’m not diminishing their work or sacrifice. But calling 100 dead health care workers in all of Europe “horrifying” is this whole situation in a nutshell. It’s hysteria over something that’s definitely shitty, but not horrifying. Maybe it gets horrifying, but 25,000 dead in the whole world is nowhere near that and people are making this way worse than it is at this point. 

10 days ago
6/11/10
mataleo1 -
ABCTT_Ninpo Silva - 

I don’t really have a question regarding the disease itself but more so about what you are seeing in regards to planning and critical care strategies being put in place in Hospitals. I just read an article in the NYTimes about how some people with disabled conditions are on an exclusion list. So should the hospitals not have enough beds/ventilators, certain people will not get the care they need if things get bad. Do you think that can actually happen here? My son has SMA and so we would be on our own if he were to need to be hospitalized?

Heres an excerpt from the article that better illustrates what I’m talking about.

States across the country are looking to their Crisis Standards of Care plans — documents that explain how medical care changes amid the shortages of an unprecedented catastrophe. While each is different, many have a concerning common attribute: When there isn’t enough lifesaving care to go around, those who need more than others may be in trouble.

Some plans single out particularly severe conditions, like Alabama’s decision that people with severe or profound intellectual disability “are unlikely candidates for ventilator support” or Tennessee’s listing people with spinal muscular atrophy who need assistance with activities of daily living among those excluded from critical care.”

We have been preparing for shortages and building units and doubling our ventilator capacity. I wouldn't expect this to happen in the US and I would bet anything that your son will get the best care available, should he be unfortunate enough to get sick from this.

Seems like they are forming a panel about this very thing in NJ. Deciding who gets the critical care and who won’t.

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/03/nj-to-create-a-bioethics-team-to-help-make-difficult-choice-of-which-coronavirus-patients-get-a-ventilator-in-case-of-shortage.html

10 days ago
5/11/11
NoNeed4aScreenName -
The Stewed Owl -
SC MMA MD - 
NoNeed4aScreenName -

By cancelling elective surgeries we cut anywhere from 50-75 new admissions for the week already. 

I'm going to assume we also cancelled the day surgeries as well. 

The no visitor policy only further makes the hospital feel especially empty

I read that the hospitals in the Santa Barbara area (Sansum) are looking at lay offs because they have lost so much money due to the cancellation of elective procedures and people who are afraid to go to the hospital. Do you think this is likely a bluff to get more funding? It seems like lay off's right before this gets worse would be horrible. 

10 days ago
1/9/02
SC MMA MD -

Just received a reminder from our state board of medical examiners that physicians should not prescribe themselves or their family hydroxychloroquine, chloroquine or azithromycin- which I assume means that some physicians have been doing that which is highly disappointing (essentially hoarding medications)

heard of 2 reports of this happeneing in California this morning. Both denied at the pharmacy level. Will they get a talking to by their medical board when this blows over?

one was for 600 azithromycin pills

asshole

10 days ago
1/26/08
SC MMA MD -
NoNeed4aScreenName -

My friend in vegas works at a hospital and was telling me how they normally have 70 or so patients in there and now they got 10 if that. They are setting up for the rush of patients but are going to get very low very fast on protective equipment and said he wont work once they run out. I wonder once that starts happening and the odds of a Dr/Nurse/EMT increases drasticallyl of getting sick themselves, how many stop coming into work? Any ideas, just asking as IDK the mentality of people in those fields since I don't work in them.

10 days ago
11/10/18
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much -
SC MMA MD -
NoNeed4aScreenName -

My friend in vegas works at a hospital and was telling me how they normally have 70 or so patients in there and now they got 10 if that. They are setting up for the rush of patients but are going to get very low very fast on protective equipment and said he wont work once they run out. I wonder once that starts happening and the odds of a Dr/Nurse/EMT increases drasticallyl of getting sick themselves, how many stop coming into work? Any ideas, just asking as IDK the mentality of people in those fields since I don't work in them.

Statistics on this are usually around 30% when workers are anonymously polled. I imagine it will be much higher.

10 days ago
12/1/12

Hey doc,

I'm still having chest pains, pain in my left shoulder and arm. Been about a month now and getting worse. Not worried that it's CV but was wondering how I should get looked. Is a telemedcine appointment with a doctor a good start or should I book an appointment at a clinic? Basically, I'm thinking with my symptoms they might just tell me to go to the ER and I don't want to expose myself unnecessarily to a doctor's office.

Thanks in advance