OtherGround Forums Oceans warming at "atomic bombs" rate daily

8 days ago
6/9/16

Preheated salmon, anyone?

The world's oceans are now heating at the same rate as if five Hiroshima atomic bombs were dropped into the water every second, scientists have said.

new study released on Monday showed that 2019 was yet another year of record-setting ocean warming, with water temperatures reaching the highest temperature ever recorded.\

An international team of 14 scientists examined data going back to the 1950s, looking at temperatures from the ocean surface to 2,000 meters deep. The study, which was published in the journal Advances in Atmospheric Sciences, also showed that the oceans are warming at an increasing speed.

While the past decade has been the warmest on record for global ocean temperatures, the hottest five years ever recorded all came in the last five.

"The upward trend is relentless, and so we can say with confidence that most of the warming is man-made climate change," said Kevin Trenberth, distinguished senior scientist in the Climate Analysis Section at the National Center for Atmospheric Research.

The study shows that while the oceans warmed steadily between 1955 and 1986, warming has accelerated rapidly in the last few decades. Between 1987-2019, ocean warming was 450% greater than during the earlier time period.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/13/world/climate-change-oceans-heat-intl/index.html

8 days ago
    1/1/01

Thanks, China.

8 days ago
    9/22/16
    Going back to the 1950's? WOW. I mean, yowza. I think I'm ready to start paying more taxes and never fly again.

LET'S DO THIS.
    8 days ago
    3/18/02

thanks idiots who think plastic straws help and think theyre environmentalists with a complete lack of action plan vis a vis china and india 

8 days ago
    3/16/11

Not saying everything is cool, but saying "atomic bombs" is meant to he so vague that anyone who doesnt know yields of these things would assume they're much much more powerful than they really are. Hiroshima was about 15 kilo (thousand) tons of TNT, but tsar bomba, the biggest ever exploded was 100 mega (million) tons of TNT (scaled down to 50 for the test. Pretty vague terminology. 

8 days ago
    10/15/13

Image result for indian ocean pooping gif

8 days ago
    10/4/18
    Well, stop dropping all those nukes in the water.... sheeesh.
    8 days ago
    6/13/03

This wont go over well with Australian arsonists.

8 days ago
    6/26/06
    Since when is temperature measured in atom bombs?
    8 days ago
    3/21/12
    who cares, everyone on here will be dead in 70 years anyways
    8 days ago
    10/4/18
    CNN is reporting that the water is too warm to be used on the fires in Australia.
    8 days ago
    9/23/07
    RenatoCocopreta - Since when is temperature measured in atom bombs?

Since people are trying to trick you into voting liberal and paying more taxes for them to waste on nonsense.
    8 days ago
    1/1/01
    ttt
    8 days ago
    6/9/16
    RenatoCocopreta - Since when is temperature measured in atom bombs?

Call it sensationalism, if you like. The graph looks rather alarming though. 

8 days ago
    1/1/01
    Taco Muncher - 

It really depends on the vertical scale and what that is.  It appears to be a delta in joules from the average, but it's not showing us the total heat content per unit volume.  I suspect if they did that, it would be much less "alarming."  

8 days ago
    2/2/15

Omg, temperature has gone up in the last fifty years? The world is only 4 billion years old, so warming in such a significant timeframe of fifty years certainly is proof positive of man made climate change.

8 days ago
    11/23/12

It’s not noticeably warmer in the U.K. it’s fucking freezing let me tell you.

8 days ago
    6/13/03
    Trust -
    Taco Muncher - 

It really depends on the vertical scale and what that is.  It appears to be a delta in joules from the average, but it's not showing us the total heat content per unit volume.  I suspect if they did that, it would be much less "alarming."  

Its in Zettajoules(10^21). It take 10^24 to raise the Ocean temp 1 degree C.

8 days ago
    9/13/08
    Taco Muncher - 

Preheated salmon, anyone?

The world's oceans are now heating at the same rate as if five Hiroshima atomic bombs were dropped into the water every second, scientists have said.

new study released on Monday showed that 2019 was yet another year of record-setting ocean warming, with water temperatures reaching the highest temperature ever recorded.\

An international team of 14 scientists examined data going back to the 1950s, looking at temperatures from the ocean surface to 2,000 meters deep. The study, which was published in the journal Advances in Atmospheric Sciences, also showed that the oceans are warming at an increasing speed.

While the past decade has been the warmest on record for global ocean temperatures, the hottest five years ever recorded all came in the last five.

"The upward trend is relentless, and so we can say with confidence that most of the warming is man-made climate change," said Kevin Trenberth, distinguished senior scientist in the Climate Analysis Section at the National Center for Atmospheric Research.

The study shows that while the oceans warmed steadily between 1955 and 1986, warming has accelerated rapidly in the last few decades. Between 1987-2019, ocean warming was 450% greater than during the earlier time period.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/13/world/climate-change-oceans-heat-intl/index.html

What does this mean to a non-scientist? Example, how is the average temp of oceans today, compared to 1989, etc?

I don't know what "ocean warming was 450% greater than during the earlier time period", means. Is that one degree, is that 2 degrees?

It would help their argument, and break down walls with climate deniers, if they would give a real world application. Until they do, they will be written off as alarmists.....
      8 days ago
      9/13/08
      Also, didn't read the link, just the post. So, if that's in there, I apologize.......
      8 days ago
      6/9/16
      Trust -
      Taco Muncher - 

This is what the linked study states (it's fucking Greek to me, I must admit, way over my head):

"Specifically, the ocean heat anomaly (0−2000 m) in 2019 was 228 Zetta Joules (ZJ, 1 ZJ=1021 Joules) above the 1981−2010 average and 25 ZJ above 2018 (Table 1)

The evolution of OHC (Fig. 1) shows that the upper 2000 m OHC in 2019 was 228 ± 9 ZJ above the 1981–2010 average. The record-setting ocean warmth is also found in National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration/National Center for Environmental Information (NOAA/NCEI) data, showing 217± 4 ZJ in 2019 above 1981−2010 average (21 ZJ above 2018) (Table 1)"

https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007%2Fs00376-020-9283-7.pdf

8 days ago
      10/4/02
      Here in Sweden we have not had one day of snow, insects active and green grass all through winter. I am not usually getting into these subjects but something is very very wrong, I can see it with my own eyes
      8 days ago
      6/9/16
      androushka - Here in Sweden we have not had one day of snow, insects active and green grass all through winter. I am not usually getting into these subjects but something is very very wrong, I can see it with my own eyes

The trend is harder and harder to dispute. The cause is less and less contentious (carbon in the atmosphere). But the overarching question remains whether humans can do anything about it that would be worthwhile or advisable. 

8 days ago
      6/7/05
      How many bullets would we have to fire into the oceans in order to equal those 5 atomic bombs?
      Edited: 8 days ago
      1/1/01

I'm all for cutting carbon emissions and developing greener technologies.  But fuck off with the carbon tax nonsense.  If that is their answer then they aren't serious about climate change.  Only using it as a cover for a massive transfer of wealth.