hermanitor -
banco - 
AnthonyWeiner -
Balls Mahoney -
banco -
CobraKaiRep -
CuddleBug -
thedogofdogs -

Wont watch because of the Bruce Lee shit.

Obviously Bruce was holding back because his hands were registered as deadly weapons.

I kind of wonder if the ole gene and Segal incident was an inspiration for Bruce's portrayal

I'm surprised not a lot of people are upset at the portrayal. I think it might be closer to home than most want to admit. He's kind of become a legend you know what I mean and is usually portrayed in that sort of way

Lee's daughter is pissed.

Why? How did they portray him? Did they show him using drugs and fucking around with mistresses like he did in real life? 

Quentin showed him for exactly who he was: A fraudulent "martial artist" who spent his time being the "cool kung fu friend to the stars" to advance his career.

Think that's a bit unfair. He clearly was a serious martial artist. He wasn't some dabbler. Plus too many legit people praised his skills for him to be a paper tiger. 

LOL. His only formal training was like 2 years of shitty wing chun kung fu. He'd get laughed off this message board if he started talking martial arts.

He was an "exotic" eastern actor who had western appeal and was really good looking. The people that praise his skills were people who benefited from his star status. The dude didn't even spar.

That's like saying wilt, gervin, russell, west all really suck as basketball players

Bruce Lee was a joke, even for his time. We've been around the block a million times on this. Even in the 1960's there were real martial artists taking part in real fights, and Bruce wasn't among them.

Shit, this footage of Ron Van Clief is only 8 years after Lee's death, and he was fucking WRECKING people in real fights.

Bruce Lee was a fraud. White belts on this site who have competed in a couple of Long Beach jiu-jitsu tournaments, ammy boxers who have competed in a Golden Gloves tournament, high school junior varsity wrestlers, they have more practical fight experience than Bruce Lee.

12 days ago
2/20/09
Hey Bro -

The movie was one of his worst movies. Long, uneven, rambling, and philosophically pretentious. It sucks because I was so hyped to see it. I just don't understand his choices. It seemed like he was going for a "Tarantino film" more than a good movie.

I’m at a loss as to how you arrive at these conclusions.  

Long?  Yup, lol, no argument.

Uneven?  I’m not sure what you mean.

Rambling?  Fair.  There were indeed quite a few  unnecessary scenes.  I guess the difference is that I enjoyed all of them.

Philosophically prententious?

Again, I’m at a loss.  

I thought it was masterful.  Look up the Manson Murders.  What they did to Sharon Tate was beyond horrific.  I didn’t want to see that.

And I didn’t.  But being led to that point throughout an entire film was rough.  A build-up to a horror I honestly didn’t want to see.  

To then have it go so wonderfully, violently, hilariously off the rails in a direction I didn’t see was both a relief and a catharsis of sorts.

I’ve know my whole life what those fucking shitbags did on that night.  To see them NOT get to do it and to pay so gloriously was boss.

I also appreciate the depiction of the Manson kids.  No glorification.  No paying homage to their counter-culture place in current pop culture.  Just some inbred, dirty, brainwashed losers.  To rob them of their historical mystique was art in and of itself.

I’m going again this Sunday.

12 days ago
2/1/08
Viper has the Lead -

I thought it was great.

Loose structure, like a Euro film from the 70s, but it kept me very entertained.

Pitts ride home in his old karmann Ghia was riveting. Music, cinematography. All excellent.

So many great acting performances too.

Pitt was great as Mr.Cool, but I thought DiCaprio did a great job too playing an insecure past his prime actor.

And whoever the little girl is who stole a scene or two from DiCaprio, she has a bright future

I think it was two of the best performances from Pitt and Leo.

At first, Pitt was the one that really struck me.  Even though he doesn't even have that many lines - he just radiates coolness and confidence.

But the more I thought about it, the more I'm impressed by Leo.  He kind of operates on three different levels

1) the off-camera side of him that's insecure, has a bit of a stutter, and a tendency to break eye contact

2) the TV version of him where he's more confident and performative, but he's not ACTING acting - it's more like he's hitting his marks and saying his lines

3) after he gets inspired by the little girl and flips out in his trailer and then you see him straight turn it ON with his performance.

QT really brings out the best in Leo.

12 days ago
2/1/08
AnthonyWeiner -
JKDude -

The ending was great, but wtf Tarantino?  The entire ranch scene turned into nothing, the rewrite of history is odd, and after a few days the only scenes that have any real impact are the Bruce Lee and the ending.  Completely wasted Harley Quinn. 

I think I get why Robbie had so few lines. When Tarantino did the "in the day of" sequences for his three stars, he wanted us to really visualize the character. Margot is obviously one of the most attractive women in the world, and making her character playful and sweet gave us that sense of dread when it came to her impending murder. Even the Steve McQueen scene painted Tate's husband (Polanski) and ex (Sebring) as a couple of morons, but had her simply as the object of their affections.

There was a point (right before the LSD cigarette to start the 3rd act) where I thought "I don't want to stick around and watch this woman be murdered". Tarantino gave us the horror of her murder without showing it, and instead hit us with the happy ending.

I think it was brilliant.

Yeah - it took me some time to process the ending.

On the one hand, I was relieved, as there was tension the whole movie of like, "What is this crazy bastard going to show us when it comes time for the slayings."

But then, I was totally thrown off when they changed it up - I just had no idea that was coming - I wasn't even sure if it was supposed to be real or part of Cliff's acid trip.

The more I think about, the more I like it, though.  It's clearly a fantasy ending (kind of like Basterds) where he not only saves Sharon Tate's life (as well as her friends), but in a way could be seen as stopping the end of an era.  The Manson murders were a pop-culture touchstone of the end of the '60s.  It's almost like by stopping the murders, he can stop the changing of the tide.

It's become a cliche that this is his most personal movie, but it REALLY does feel like he's baring his soul in this one.

12 days ago
2/20/09
notsobigmike -
Viper has the Lead -

I thought it was great.

Loose structure, like a Euro film from the 70s, but it kept me very entertained.

Pitts ride home in his old karmann Ghia was riveting. Music, cinematography. All excellent.

Pitt was great as Mr.Cool, but I thought DiCaprio did a great job too playing an insecure past his prime actor.

And whoever the little girl is who stole a scene or two from DiCaprio, she has a bright future

At first, Pitt was the one that really struck me.  Even though he doesn't even have that many lines - he just radiates coolness and confidence.

But the more I thought about it, the more I'm impressed by Leo.  He kind of operates on three different levels

1) the off-camera side of him that's insecure, has a bit of a stutter, and a tendency to break eye contact

2) the TV version of him where he's more confident and performative, but he's not ACTING acting - it's more like he's hitting his marks and saying his lines

3) after he gets inspired by the little girl and flips out in his trailer and then you see him straight turn it ON with his performance.

Yup.

I feel like Pitt killed it because he played.... well Brad Pitt, Lol.

Leo had the much more difficult role and hit it out of the park.

12 days ago
6/29/15
donkypunch55 -
Hey Bro -

The movie was one of his worst movies. Long, uneven, rambling, and philosophically pretentious. It sucks because I was so hyped to see it. I just don't understand his choices. It seemed like he was going for a "Tarantino film" more than a good movie.

I’m at a loss as to how you arrive at these conclusions.  

Long?  Yup, lol, no argument.

Uneven?  I’m not sure what you mean.

Rambling?  Fair.  There were indeed quite a few  unnecessary scenes.  I guess the difference is that I enjoyed all of them.

Philosophically prententious?

Again, I’m at a loss.  

I thought it was masterful.  Look up the Manson Murders.  What they did to Sharon Tate was beyond horrific.  I didn’t want to see that.

And I didn’t.  But being led to that point throughout an entire film was rough.  A build-up to a horror I honestly didn’t want to see.  

To then have it go so wonderfully, violently, hilariously off the rails in a direction I didn’t see was both a relief and a catharsis of sorts.

I’ve know my whole life what those fucking shitbags did on that night.  To see them NOT get to do it and to pay so gloriously was boss.

I also appreciate the depiction of the Manson kids.  No glorification.  No paying homage to their counter-culture place in current pop culture.  Just some inbred, dirty, brainwashed losers.  To rob them of their historical mystique was art in and of itself.

I’m going again this Sunday.

What i meant by pretentious is that Tarantino is trying give a message, but is so abstract, it comes off annoying.

It was uneven in the sense that the story stuggles to be tied together, and certain scenes out shine others or last too long.

I'm a huge true crime fan. I'm familar with the barbarity of the crimes. But it seems that the mansion sstoryline is only a device to end the movie. 

12 days ago
5/16/19
donkypunch55 -
notsobigmike -
Viper has the Lead -

I thought it was great.

Yup.

I feel like Pitt killed it because he played.... well Brad Pitt, Lol.

Leo had the much more difficult role and hit it out of the park.

Agreed

12 days ago
3/12/14

I enjoyed it a lot. Didn't feel long and I was kind of disappointed when it ended.  

I'm still confused as to what the Bruce Lee problem is. Is it because of his pontificating? Is it that a fictional character didn't cry when challenged by him?

12 days ago
4/9/16

Did not care for it at all.  I loved all QT's movies (Except Jackie Brown.  Liked it, didn't love it) but man this one I just could not get into at all.  I thought the acting was tremendous but I thought it lacked the elite dialogue and cinematography of his other movies.  

Critics loved it so there's that.  

12 days ago
8/31/18
Conor McGazelle -

I enjoyed it a lot. Didn't feel long and I was kind of disappointed when it ended.  

I'm still confused as to what the Bruce Lee problem is. Is it because of his pontificating? Is it that a fictional character didn't cry when challenged by him?

So they definitely took some shots at him. They made it seem like he was the type to bragadociously start a fight with a stuntman. They went out of there way to mention he was protected by the movie people. As he was a star. And he seemed to be more in line with that guy that conor hires to touch his butt in the sand than say what we usually see Bruce portrayed as which is beyond serious almost legend like martial artist

12 days ago
1/25/19
banco - 
AnthonyWeiner -
Balls Mahoney -
banco -
CobraKaiRep -
CuddleBug -
thedogofdogs -

Obviously Bruce was holding back because his hands were registered as deadly weapons.

I kind of wonder if the ole gene and Segal incident was an inspiration for Bruce's portrayal

I'm surprised not a lot of people are upset at the portrayal. I think it might be closer to home than most want to admit. He's kind of become a legend you know what I mean and is usually portrayed in that sort of way

Why? How did they portray him? Did they show him using drugs and fucking around with mistresses like he did in real life? 

Quentin showed him for exactly who he was: A fraudulent "martial artist" who spent his time being the "cool kung fu friend to the stars" to advance his career.

Think that's a bit unfair. He clearly was a serious martial artist. He wasn't some dabbler. Plus too many legit people praised his skills for him to be a paper tiger. 

i thought that entire fight scene was supposed to be cliff booth imagining it, like a what if if he was on the set. he was up there fixing the atennea, then after the scene he says, "thats about right". not it that matters that much but since the movie is mostly fake anyway, but i thought it was almost like a dream sequence
12 days ago
3/12/14
skad -
banco - 
AnthonyWeiner -
Balls Mahoney -
banco -
CobraKaiRep -
CuddleBug -
thedogofdogs -

i thought that entire fight scene was supposed to be cliff booth imagining it, like a what if if he was on the set. he was up there fixing the atennea, then after the scene he says, "thats about right". not it that matters that much but since the movie is mostly fake anyway, but i thought it was almost like a dream sequence

Yeah, it's his recollection of this encounter. 

People just love being mad, I guess? 

I heard the negative Lee stuff before seeing it, I was expecting an actual reason.

12 days ago
8/31/18
skad -
banco - 
AnthonyWeiner -
Balls Mahoney -
banco -
CobraKaiRep -
CuddleBug -
thedogofdogs -

I thought it was a flashback explaining why leo speaking to the green hornet crew would make no difference

12 days ago
9/26/10
Viper has the Lead -

I thought it was great.

ha. that driving scene had me driving home from the movie like an asshole. wishing i didn't have a top on my car. Also, like mad men, watching this made me feel like smoking cigarettes is very cool...which is obviously 100% FALSE!

12 days ago
9/26/10

anyway, i loved the movie. it was just aesthetically awesome. And pitt and dicaprio were tremendous. 

the friend i saw it with thought it was just meh. Okay movie. I'm not sure if he really got that the whole buildup was supposed to be to the tate manson thing. 

It isn't going to be for everybody. 

12 days ago
10/10/15

I loved it except for the last two minutes after Pitt goes to the hospital.

12 days ago
2/20/09
SevenFive -

Why?

12 days ago
9/22/16
SevenFive -

She took so many sleeping pills, she'll be asleep til Columbus Day!

12 days ago
1/18/03
I legit wanted to see a Tarentino directed Manson murder, so I was disappointed that it did not happen.

It seemed almost as if Tarentino chickened out, as if he was too in love with Sharon Tate/Margot Robbie to have her butchered.
12 days ago
8/31/18
effinggoof - I legit wanted to see a Tarentino directed Manson murder, so I was disappointed that it did not happen.

It seemed almost as if Tarentino chickened out, as if he was too in love with Sharon Tate/Margot Robbie to have her butchered.

I wouldn't say he chickened out but he does seem to like both. It's one thing to brutally kill your own characters and another to make some weird gore reannactment of a real person like Tate especially when the real life thing is already so over the top and just evil.. I don't think I would've enjoyed the latter

12 days ago
8/20/15
Doublevision -
hermanitor -
banco - 
AnthonyWeiner -
Balls Mahoney -
banco -
CobraKaiRep -
CuddleBug -
thedogofdogs -

LOL. His only formal training was like 2 years of shitty wing chun kung fu. He'd get laughed off this message board if he started talking martial arts.

He was an "exotic" eastern actor who had western appeal and was really good looking. The people that praise his skills were people who benefited from his star status. The dude didn't even spar.

That's like saying wilt, gervin, russell, west all really suck as basketball players

Im not on either side here, but your analogy is far from correct.

12 days ago
8/20/15
skad -
banco - 
AnthonyWeiner -
Balls Mahoney -
banco -
CobraKaiRep -
CuddleBug -
thedogofdogs -

Its his recollection, sure. But it happened in Cliff Boothh the characters life. That's the whole reason he can't get hired on Lancer. Because he threw Lee into a car therefore pissing of the stunt coordinators wife. So in terms of did it happen(movie wise) yes it did.

12 days ago
8/20/15
Robert Thomas -
skad -
banco - 
AnthonyWeiner -
Balls Mahoney -
banco -
CobraKaiRep -
CuddleBug -
thedogofdogs -

Its his recollection, sure. But it happened in Cliff Boothh the characters life. That's the whole reason he can't get hired on Lancer. Because he threw Lee into a car therefore pissing of the stunt coordinators wife. So in terms of did it happen(movie wise) yes it did.

He also said "fair enough" as to why he was fired. Not "that's about right"

12 days ago
10/10/15
donkypunch55 -
SevenFive -

Why?

It just seemed weird that after everything that had just happened he would go hang out with the neighbors.  

12 days ago
2/20/09
SevenFive -
donkypunch55 -
SevenFive -

Why?

It just seemed weird that after everything that had just happened he would go hang out with the neighbors.  

Or it makes perfect sense.

Leo’s character is such an over-the-top narcissist that the boost he just got from being a “hero” would override any shock he might be feeling.

Especially since the new company could be positive to his (fading) career.