OtherGround Forums Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood. *spoilers*

12 days ago
8/31/18

Agreed with donky that was his happy ending. Not the Italian wife 

12 days ago
10/29/06
thedogofdogs -

Wont watch because of the Bruce Lee shit.

You should watch it. Great movie. And honestly, I don’t think it was a dig at Lee. I think the scene was just to show the audience what a fucking stud Cliff is. Which we get to see at the end. 

Edited: 11 days ago
3/12/14

Just saw a clip of Rogan whining about Lee in the movie. For fucks sake...

I'm sure he was a lovely fellow, but we've all seen that interview where he says 'be like water', right?

Dude actually said shit like that.

So why wouldn't he hold court to a bunch of extras and crew saying similar shit?

People are dumb. Fuck it, I'm taking down my Bruce Lee poster and throwing out my nunchucks. 

11 days ago
2/20/09
Conor McGazelle -

I'm sure he was a lovely fellow, but we've all seen that interview where he says 'be like water', right?

So why wouldn't he hold court to a bunch of extras and crew saying similar shit?

People are dumb. Fuck it, I'm taking down my Bruce Lee poster and throwing out my nunchucks. 

Haha, easy there Turbo.

Yeah, Bruce Lee was not what he is often portrayed as and his jock riders are insufferable but, like it or not, his philosophy of “whatever works” is the foundation for modern day mma.

I agree that the portrayal in the movie feels kinda right but I also believe that it’s no reason to throw the baby out with bath water.

We can acknowledge that he doesn’t measure up to his legend and still award points for insight.

11 days ago
2/20/09
Hey Bro -
donkypunch55 -
Hey Bro -

The movie was one of his worst movies. Long, uneven, rambling, and philosophically pretentious. It sucks because I was so hyped to see it. I just don't understand his choices. It seemed like he was going for a "Tarantino film" more than a good movie.

I’m at a loss as to how you arrive at these conclusions.  

Long?  Yup, lol, no argument.

Uneven?  I’m not sure what you mean.

Rambling?  Fair.  There were indeed quite a few  unnecessary scenes.  I guess the difference is that I enjoyed all of them.

Philosophically prententious?

Again, I’m at a loss.  

I thought it was masterful.  Look up the Manson Murders.  What they did to Sharon Tate was beyond horrific.  I didn’t want to see that.

And I didn’t.  But being led to that point throughout an entire film was rough.  A build-up to a horror I honestly didn’t want to see.  

To then have it go so wonderfully, violently, hilariously off the rails in a direction I didn’t see was both a relief and a catharsis of sorts.

I’ve know my whole life what those fucking shitbags did on that night.  To see them NOT get to do it and to pay so gloriously was boss.

I also appreciate the depiction of the Manson kids.  No glorification.  No paying homage to their counter-culture place in current pop culture.  Just some inbred, dirty, brainwashed losers.  To rob them of their historical mystique was art in and of itself.

I’m going again this Sunday.

What i meant by pretentious is that Tarantino is trying give a message, but is so abstract, it comes off annoying.

It was uneven in the sense that the story stuggles to be tied together, and certain scenes out shine others or last too long.

I'm a huge true crime fan. I'm familar with the barbarity of the crimes. But it seems that the mansion sstoryline is only a device to end the movie. 

I think the Tate murders were to draw us in.  To make us mentally prepare for what we knew was going to be sickening and horrible.

And then he gifted us that awesome ending where not only did we not have to relive that mess, we got an incredibly satisfying alternate resolution.

Genuis filmmaking in my opinion.

I was simultaneously relieved I didn’t have to watch Tate get her baby cut out and jacked to the tits to watch Cliff wreck shop on those shitbags.

damn near perfect.

11 days ago
9/22/16
"What's your name again?"

"I am the devil, here to do the devil's work."

"No, not that. It was something stupid, like Rex."
11 days ago
12/2/02
AnthonyWeiner - "What's your name again?"

"I am the devil, here to do the devil's work."

"No, not that. It was something stupid, like Rex."

Lol, that was a fucking epic piece of dialog!  

11 days ago
3/12/14
donkypunch55 -
Conor McGazelle -

Haha, easy there Turbo.

Yeah, Bruce Lee was not what he is often portrayed as and his jock riders are insufferable but, like it or not, his philosophy of “whatever works” is the foundation for modern day mma.

I agree that the portrayal in the movie feels kinda right but I also believe that it’s no reason to throw the baby out with bath water.

We can acknowledge that he doesn’t measure up to his legend and still award points for insight.

I wouldn't care so much if people didn't act like his scene in the movie was so horrible. 

I don't hate Bruce Lee. I'm not a terrorist. 

10 days ago
1/1/01

As far as the Bruce Lee scene goes I thought it was hilarious and unexpected. I respect Lee but he was 130lbs soaking wet. I expect am ex military muddleweight to handle him. At least he got a knock down.

10 days ago
1/1/01

Not Tarantino's best.  There were too many scenes where I actually got tired of his style which I've always loved but then again, this was about Hollywood so cliches etc make sense.  Also, only two awesome characters.  Both Di Caprio and Pitt were amazing, but other characters were just boring unlike his other movies.  Still loved it but not his best work.

10 days ago
2/20/09
Conor McGazelle -
donkypunch55 -
Conor McGazelle -

Haha, easy there Turbo.

I wouldn't care so much if people didn't act like his scene in the movie was so horrible. 

I don't hate Bruce Lee. I'm not a terrorist. 

I agree with that.

Based on what I had heard, I expected it to be this huge thing.

It definitely wasn’t.

10 days ago
2/5/05

I know literally nothing of the truths or stories surrounding the Manson murders. Maybe that would have changed my feelings on this movie. Not sure though, at least it would have helped my understand the premise a little more. I’m in the “not a fan” camp. 

10 days ago
3/12/14
clattymine -

I know literally nothing of the truths or stories surrounding the Manson murders. Maybe that would have changed my feelings on this movie. Not sure though, at least it would have helped my understand the premise a little more. I’m in the “not a fan” camp. 

Shitty sum up

Manson was failed musician turned cult leader. Had a bunch of followers. Lot of drugs. Had them kill people.

In the movie,  it is pure coincidence that Leo comes outside and yells at them, causing them to go for him first. 

Edited: 10 days ago
4/20/02
Conor McGazelle -
clattymine -

Shitty sum up

Manson was failed musician turned cult leader. Had a bunch of followers. Lot of drugs. Had them kill people.

In the movie,  it is pure coincidence that Leo comes outside and yells at them, causing them to go for him first. 

From what I recall, it was also pure coincidence they killed Sharon Tate and her friends. That used to be music producer Terry Melcher's home. Melcher was one of a number of pretty important people who showed an interest in Manson's music (and his whores and his drugs) but ditched him when they saw how psycho he was. Again, maybe I'm wrong but Manson sent them there thinking Melcher still lived in the home and intending to kill Melcher.

10 days ago
3/15/19

I saw it. Thought it was great, and not quite like Tarantino for the first two hours. Which is good, because I like the change / evolution. 

Saw it with my wife, who had no idea about Manson and the killings. She didn’t get the movie at all. If you don’t know the actual history, meaning when you see Tate / Polanski / cult and know what happens, I can see it making no sense. 

10 days ago
1/1/01

they were rather kind to bruce

Edited: 10 days ago
1/1/01

I loved the move. (I saw it twice because my GF got mad I went without her.) I liked it even more the second time.

But Bruce Lee's ultra rich family is angry...???

What about '...that kickboxing asshole Joe Lewis'? Joe Lewis' family have more reason to be pissed than Bruce Lee's family. Few , outside of MAs even know who Joe Lewis is.

Joe Lewis was a real person, a great fighter and a MA legend in his own right just not nearly as famous as Bruce Lee. He was NOT an asshole and he did NOT deserve that senseless jab. He was also a huge SUPPORTER of Bruce Lee. Always very complementary about Lee's skills.

Lee is an icon, his image can handle some ribbing, but making fun of a  "little guy" like Joe Lewis was really kinda pointless & dumb. QT just didn't know what the hell he was talking about, there.

10 days ago
11/10/18

Movie was great, I saw it twice. If the Bruce Lee stuff bothers you then you are a total clown. The very fucking title is Once upon a time......

No one is above getting teased and especially in a movie that is clearly fictional. Joe Rogan summed up what a dumb fuck he is when he whined about it. Dumbass Schaub got it and he didn’t lol. 

10 days ago
11/10/18
clattymine -

If you don’t know the history of LA, the Manson stuff, Polanski, movies, etc then I’m sure this movie wasn’t very good. 

10 days ago
8/20/08

Bruce would have killed Chuck like he did in the movies.

10 days ago
5/22/05
oblongo - 
Conor McGazelle -
clattymine -

Shitty sum up

From what I recall, it was also pure coincidence they killed Sharon Tate and her friends. That used to be music producer Terry Melcher's home. Melcher was one of a number of pretty important people who showed an interest in Manson's music (and his whores and his drugs) but ditched him when they saw how psycho he was. Again, maybe I'm wrong but Manson sent them there thinking Melcher still lived in the home and intending to kill Melcher.

He knew Melcher didn't live there anymore. Why he sent them there is a bit of a mystery. One theory is that Melcher would hear about the murders and take it as a threat (a pretty big one).
10 days ago
7/28/02

IMO which means nothing

QT missed a once in a lifetime opportunity for Charles manson to kung fu fight to the death

10 days ago
2/20/09
Eskimo -
clattymine -

If you don’t know the history of LA, the Manson stuff, Polanski, movies, etc then I’m sure this movie wasn’t very good. 

That’s some truth.  A huge part of the experience was the buildup to the eventual Manson killings and then to have it go so wonderfully different was cool.

I did however enjoy the rest of the movie and scenes as well but the real kicker was the ending.

10 days ago
2/20/09

I also went without my wife so I’ll be (happily) seeing it again tomorrow (today?  It’s 3:30am here and I just got off work, haven’t been to sleep yet).

Looking forward to whatever I missed the first go around.

I made my wife read up on the Manson killings so she too can experience the 2.5 hr buildup and then relief.  Right now she’s stealing herself for a Tarantino style execution of a pregnant woman.  I never said that it happens but I’ve let her believe that that’s where it’s going.

I can’t wait.

10 days ago
7/6/09

I went today with my lady after a few weeks of missed opportunities. I loved it. Great build up to a good payoff. My girlfriend was not impressed at all.

Come to find out she didn’t know it was a revision of history and had no idea what was going on. I explained the Manson family angle and she said she needs to see it again. 

Excellent.