OtherGround Forums Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood. *spoilers*

6 days ago
11/28/03

i dont like much

not even a qt fan

but i liked this

6 days ago
1/1/01

Saw it last night with NO spoilers.  had only seen an early trailer.  

Loved it.  I even loved the parts I hated lol.  Thought it dragged in spots but the payoff was always worth it.  

So glad I didnt see Margot butchered at the end like I was dreading. 

6 days ago
2/20/09
tj tapper -

Loved it.  I even loved the parts I hated lol.  Thought it dragged in spots but the payoff was always worth it.  

Telling you, that’s the real payoff.

Waiting 3 goddamn hours in anticipation of that sweet (pregnant) woman getting slaughtered in horrific fashion and then experiencing the relief and joy of the actual ending.

Brilliant.

It was the reason for the seemingly arduous and inconsequential scene of her in the theatre.  It was to further humanize her and make us as the audience more invested in what we knew (lol, thought) was coming.

Pretty much the entire movie was structured to steer us towards and make us appreciate the ending Tarantino shot.

6 days ago
4/27/14
donkypunch55 - 
tj tapper -

Waiting 3 goddamn hours in anticipation of that sweet (pregnant) woman getting slaughtered in horrific fashion and then experiencing the relief and joy of the actual ending.

Brilliant.

It was the reason for the seemingly arduous and inconsequential scene of her in the theatre.  It was to further humanize her and make us as the audience more invested in what we knew (lol, thought) was coming.

Pretty much the entire movie was structured to steer us towards and make us appreciate the ending Tarantino shot.

A lot of lefty critics were complaining about how white the film is, how the only Asian is treated, how its too heteronormative and masculine, and especially about how little Robie is given to do, but I thought that scene in the theater did a good job of humanizing her. Tate had a lot going for her - young, rich, pregnant, stunnigly beautiful, famous - yet you sympathize with her because she was nice to people (the hitchiker she picks up and hugs, how she treated the theater staff with courtesy), and the pleasure she takes in how the audience likes her performance - Margot Robie  looks adorable behind those big glasses. She was playing her part to be a beautiful, sweet-natured young woman you didn't want to see be slaughtered. 

6 days ago
1/6/10
The Stewed Owl -
donkypunch55 - 
tj tapper -

Brilliant.

A lot of lefty critics were complaining about how white the film is, how the only Asian is treated, how its too heteronormative and masculine, and especially about how little Robie is given to do, but I thought that scene in the theater did a good job of humanizing her. Tate had a lot going for her - young, rich, pregnant, stunnigly beautiful, famous - yet you sympathize with her because she was nice to people (the hitchiker she picks up and hugs, how she treated the theater staff with courtesy), and the pleasure she takes in how the audience likes her performance - Margot Robie  looks adorable behind those big glasses. She was playing her part to be a beautiful, sweet-natured young woman you didn't want to see be slaughtered. 

For fucks sake. That’s why I double loved watching the hippies / sjws get destroyed 

6 days ago
2/20/09
InspiritMick -
The Stewed Owl -
donkypunch55 - 
tj tapper -

Brilliant.

For fucks sake. That’s why I double loved watching the hippies / sjws get destroyed 

For the love of fuck.  Can anything just BE anymore?

It was set in the late 60’s for chrissake.  Long before the feminization of modern society.

6 days ago
1/1/01

bullshit. it was the i'm ok, you're ok, flower power 60's bullshit that led us to the disgusting juncture we're now at. How old are you?

6 days ago
2/20/09
de braco -

bullshit. it was the i'm ok, you're ok, flower power 60's bullshit that led us to the disgusting juncture we're now at. How old are you?

Me?  I’m 42.  And while I agree that the 60’s where the genesis for all the swishy bullshit we’re hip deep in now, mainstream society was still about 6 thousand times more macho than it is now.

6 days ago
3/15/06
The Stewed Owl - 
donkypunch55 - 
tj tapper -

Brilliant.

Exactly. Margot Robbie had barely any lines but somehow they made the Sharon Tate character sweet, innocent, and someone that you really don't want to see get massacred. I was second guessing bringing my wife to the movie when anticipating her character being subject to Tarantino film violence. And I really expected it since the truth of what happened is so horrible.
6 days ago
1/1/01
donkypunch55 -
de braco -

Me?  I’m 42.  And while I agree that the 60’s where the genesis for all the swishy bullshit we’re hip deep in now, mainstream society was still about 6 thousand times more macho than it is now.

ah, that explains it, i thought the 55 was perhaps your birthday and as such should have had some experience with the 60's commie pinko fags. It is true that they still had enough test to commit mayhem back then, which other than the odd bike lock, seems to have went the wayside. thank god

6 days ago
2/20/09
de braco -
donkypunch55 -
de braco -

ah, that explains it, i thought the 55 was perhaps your birthday and as such should have had some experience with the 60's commie pinko fags. It is true that they still had enough test to commit mayhem back then, which other than the odd bike lock, seems to have went the wayside. thank god

Nah, I fought at 155.

We are basically in agreement.

6 days ago
4/6/09

6 days ago
10/27/03

Man, Shannon Lee just won't let it go.
I guess that's what happens when you live in a fantasy where you're entire being and all your finances are about mythologizing your dad and pretending he is the character from his famous movie.
6 days ago
1/1/01

you just made the "concepts" shit list with that remark

6 days ago
1/6/10
donkypunch55 -
InspiritMick -
The Stewed Owl -
donkypunch55 - 
tj tapper -

Brilliant.

For the love of fuck.  Can anything just BE anymore?

It was set in the late 60’s for chrissake.  Long before the feminization of modern society.

That’s the joke gif

5 days ago
10/27/03
de braco -

Haha awesome

5 days ago
2/20/09
de braco -

I don’t know what that means.  Someone help a brother out?

5 days ago
1/1/01

he's marked as a heretic by the jkd concepts cult who worship lee as a deity, and make no mistake, it is a cult

5 days ago
2/20/09
de braco -

he's marked as a heretic by the jkd concepts cult who worship lee as a deity, and make no mistake, it is a cult

Damn.  That’s a little creepy.

5 days ago
1/1/01

most of that crowd believe lee could have defeated ali in boxing, the black guy ali, not the karate kids girlfriend

5 days ago
4/27/14

Good review on why this film works.

https://thefederalist.com/2019/08/13/tarantinos-upon-time-tribute-masculine-heroism/

4 days ago
2/20/09
de braco -

most of that crowd believe lee could have defeated ali in boxing, the black guy ali, not the karate kids girlfriend

You’re kidding right?

4 days ago
2/20/09
The Stewed Owl -

Good review on why this film works.

https://thefederalist.com/2019/08/13/tarantinos-upon-time-tribute-masculine-heroism/

That article is on point.

It’s a redemption/hero film.

We FINALLY get to see Leo’s character be a hero.  Pitt’s character is an obvious hero.  Brandi the dog even scores some points.

But really, the true hero is Tarantino for giving us that wonderful alternate ending.

4 days ago
3/12/14

I really hope he does an extended cut on Netflix. I would've watched 4 hours of this movie. 

4 days ago
7/12/03
donkypunch55 - 
de braco -

You’re kidding right?

They will admit Ali wins in he ring but they believe Bruce wins a street fight.