OtherGround Forums Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood. *spoilers*

17 days ago
2/20/09

What a movie.

One of Tarantino’s best.  Really a great film......

Spoilers ahead.

17 days ago
2/20/09

Amazing.  3 hours long and mostly slow and plodding and still absolutely riveting.  Just every scene was a joy.

The ending was fucking amazing.

Everyone is a Hero.  

Cliff is because, well, he’s Brad Fucking Pitt and his character never loses, never gets rattled, never second guesses and smashes hippies with brutal, reckless abandon.

Rick because he gets to flame-thrower a mother fucker at the end and finally win.

Us as the audience win because we get a great payoff without having to experience the horror of Sharron Tate’s murder.

All movie I was stressing that.

I didn’t want to watch a pregnant woman get gutted.

Eesh.  And you know Tarantino would have made it bad.  

But no, we got a fulfilling, beautifully executed ballet of righteous violence.

Discuss.

17 days ago
2/20/09

And that dog.  Goddamn.

17 days ago
5/18/01

The ending was great, but wtf Tarantino?  The entire ranch scene turned into nothing, the rewrite of history is odd, and after a few days the only scenes that have any real impact are the Bruce Lee and the ending.  Completely wasted Harley Quinn. 

17 days ago
12/3/02

17 days ago
12/15/11

Wont watch because of the Bruce Lee shit.

17 days ago
3/15/06
thedogofdogs -

Obviously Bruce was holding back because his hands were registered as deadly weapons.

Edited: 16 days ago
8/31/18
CuddleBug -
thedogofdogs -

Obviously Bruce was holding back because his hands were registered as deadly weapons.

I kind of wonder if the ole gene and Segal incident was an inspiration for Bruce's portrayal in the fight scene

I'm surprised not a lot of people are upset at the portrayal. I think it might be closer to home than most want to admit. He's kind of become a legend you know what I mean and is usually portrayed in that sort of way

17 days ago
8/1/13

Agree with everything you said.

16 days ago
5/22/05
CobraKaiRep -
CuddleBug -
thedogofdogs -

I kind of wonder if the ole gene and Segal incident was an inspiration for Bruce's portrayal

I'm surprised not a lot of people are upset at the portrayal. I think it might be closer to home than most want to admit. He's kind of become a legend you know what I mean and is usually portrayed in that sort of way

Lee's daughter is pissed.

16 days ago
8/11/12
banco -
CobraKaiRep -
CuddleBug -
thedogofdogs -

I kind of wonder if the ole gene and Segal incident was an inspiration for Bruce's portrayal

Why? How did they portray him? Did they show him using drugs and fucking around with mistresses like he did in real life? 

16 days ago
9/22/16
Balls Mahoney -
banco -
CobraKaiRep -
CuddleBug -
thedogofdogs -

Why? How did they portray him? Did they show him using drugs and fucking around with mistresses like he did in real life? 

Quentin showed him for exactly who he was: A fraudulent "martial artist" who spent his time being the "cool kung fu friend to the stars" to advance his career.

16 days ago
5/22/05
AnthonyWeiner -
Balls Mahoney -
banco -
CobraKaiRep -
CuddleBug -
thedogofdogs -

Quentin showed him for exactly who he was: A fraudulent "martial artist" who spent his time being the "cool kung fu friend to the stars" to advance his career.

Think that's a bit unfair. He clearly was a serious martial artist. He wasn't some dabbler. Plus too many legit people praised his skills for him to be a paper tiger. 

16 days ago
12/29/10

Decent movie, probably will never watch again. Not even close to Tarantino’s best movie. Didn’t have the rewatchable scenes I’m used to from him. Honestly didn’t even seem like a Tarantino movie. Kind of a pointless rewriting of history.

16 days ago
9/22/16
JKDude -

The ending was great, but wtf Tarantino?  The entire ranch scene turned into nothing, the rewrite of history is odd, and after a few days the only scenes that have any real impact are the Bruce Lee and the ending.  Completely wasted Harley Quinn. 

I think I get why Robbie had so few lines. When Tarantino did the "in the day of" sequences for his three stars, he wanted us to really visualize the character. Margot is obviously one of the most attractive women in the world, and making her character playful and sweet gave us that sense of dread when it came to her impending murder. Even the Steve McQueen scene painted Tate's husband (Polanski) and ex (Sebring) as a couple of morons, but had her simply as the object of their affections.

There was a point (right before the LSD cigarette to start the 3rd act) where I thought "I don't want to stick around and watch this woman be murdered". Tarantino gave us the horror of her murder without showing it, and instead hit us with the happy ending.

I think it was brilliant.

16 days ago
5/16/19

I thought it was great.

Loose structure, like a Euro film from the 70s, but it kept me very entertained.

Pitts ride home in his old karmann Ghia was riveting. Music, cinematography. All excellent.

So many great acting performances too.

Pitt was great as Mr.Cool, but I thought DiCaprio did a great job too playing an insecure past his prime actor.

And whoever the little girl is who stole a scene or two from DiCaprio, she has a bright future

16 days ago
4/20/02

Shanon Lee said this about Tarantino:

“People have said to me, ‘But Quentin Tarantino is such a huge Bruce Lee fan.’ I actually don’t think he is,” said Lee. “I’ve always suspected that he’s not. What I think he’s a fan of is things that kick ass in a cool way. I think he is a fan of my father’s style, of the way that he was in his films. I’m not sure he really knows much about him as a human being or his philosophy."

His philosophy?

We can debate Bruce Lee's status as a martial artist? But I read The Tao of Jeet Kune Do as a teenager, and it struck me as nothing but warmed-over Krishnamurti.

Is there anyone besides his daughter who thinks Bruce Lee was a philoopher?

Oh, and the movie was great. Tarantino's best in a long time.

16 days ago
2/20/09
thedogofdogs -

The Bruce Lee part is about 3 minutes out of a really well done 3 hour movie.  

it’s a funny scene.  

It also lets us know what a beast Cliff is.  It makes his destruction of the hippies at the end all the more believable.

In my opinion you’re doing yourself a disservice by not seeing it for such a tiny part in the movie.

16 days ago
9/22/16
donkypunch55 -
thedogofdogs -

The Bruce Lee part is about 3 minutes out of a really well done 3 hour movie.  

it’s a funny scene.  

It also lets us know what a beast Cliff is.  It makes his destruction of the hippies at the end all the more believable.

In my opinion you’re doing yourself a disservice by not seeing it for such a tiny part in the movie.

I love the choice of flashbacks for Cliff. We see Leo talking about Cliff as a war hero, but instead of showing him in that setting, we get shots of:

A. Cliff ragdolling Bruce Lee, and

B. Cliff (presumably) killing his wife.

The same way Leo got to use Chekov's Flamethrower, we see Cliff as a serious badass who has no problem killing broads. Both of which come to play in a major way. Chekov's Equal Rights, in a way. Anyone, male, female, Chinese, hippy, whatever, that steps to Cliff is getting fucked up.

16 days ago
4/11/08
banco - 
AnthonyWeiner -
Balls Mahoney -
banco -
CobraKaiRep -
CuddleBug -
thedogofdogs -

Think that's a bit unfair. He clearly was a serious martial artist. He wasn't some dabbler. Plus too many legit people praised his skills for him to be a paper tiger. 

LOL. His only formal training was like 2 years of shitty wing chun kung fu. He'd get laughed off this message board if he started talking martial arts.

He was an "exotic" eastern actor who had western appeal and was really good looking. The people that praise his skills were people who benefited from his star status. The dude didn't even spar.
16 days ago
12/10/11
hermanitor -
banco - 
AnthonyWeiner -
Balls Mahoney -
banco -
CobraKaiRep -
CuddleBug -
thedogofdogs -

LOL. His only formal training was like 2 years of shitty wing chun kung fu. He'd get laughed off this message board if he started talking martial arts.

He was an "exotic" eastern actor who had western appeal and was really good looking. The people that praise his skills were people who benefited from his star status. The dude didn't even spar.

That's like saying wilt, gervin, russell, west all really suck as basketball players

16 days ago
1/1/01

The movie was all over the place but I loved it. Quentin hasn't done side stories this well since PF.

16 days ago
12/13/12

I should have known history would radically be changed, so I blame myself for that. It’s right in the title. Any time something starts with “once upon a time”, you’re getting a fairy tale.

Not a bad movie though.

16 days ago
6/29/15

The movie was one of his worst movies. Long, uneven, rambling, and philosophically pretentious. It sucks because I was so hyped to see it. I just don't understand his choices. It seemed like he was going for a "Tarantino film" more than a good movie.

Edited: 16 days ago
4/20/02
Doublevision -
hermanitor -
banco - 
AnthonyWeiner -
Balls Mahoney -
banco -
CobraKaiRep -
CuddleBug -
thedogofdogs -

That's like saying wilt, gervin, russell, west all really suck as basketball players

Those guys have a collective 14 NBA championships. Lee has.....?