OtherGround Forums Ouch, Monday Night Football ratings down 20%

13 days ago
1/1/01

Weak 1: Monday Night Football Ratings Crash by over 20% Amid Social Justice Protests

Monday Night Football

The ratings for ESPN’s Monday Night Football are in, and they are not going to make the folks in Bristol very happy at all.

Against the backdrop of large-scale social justice demonstrations that included Black Lives Matter t-shirts, a giant social justice banner, an entire team standing for the “black national anthem,” and at least 20 players kneeling in protest during the actual national anthem, the Steelers-Giants MNF contest saw a 27% drop from last year.

The second game of the Monday Night Football double-header, saw another notable drop of 2.5 million viewers from last year’s mark.

These numbers are bad, needless to say. However, the full context of how bad they are can’t be appreciated until you factor in two notable variables that have been included in this year’s rating formula which should be helping the NFL, but aren’t.

First, as Outkick reports, roughly 1.2 million fans aren’t attending the games live. Which, in theory, should add to the television numbers since it would be assumed that those fans would be watching at home. Second, speaking of the home, out-of-home viewers are now accounted for in the ratings process for the first time.

So, the NFL should see its numbers bolstered by those factors. Instead, we’re seeing that maybe those factors are just making the difference between a 27 percent decline in the ratings and a 31 percent decline, or whatever.

Either way, the NFL and their broadcast partners have an enormous problem on their hands.

13 days ago
9/8/02
They are still getting the TV money and ad revenue, so they probably don't mind much. They will just stick their head in the sand and say, "well, its probably because of COVID."

Liberals believe so many Americans have died from COVID it's why the NFL ratings are bad! LOL
13 days ago
1/13/04

Darn it, I missed the game. Can anyone post the black national anthem?? Feeling the white guilt kick in..

13 days ago
9/19/13

Wait 20% down from when? A week ago? A year ago?

13 days ago
6/20/13

Fuck the NFL.

13 days ago
6/17/17

13 days ago
7/29/13

I heard sports news shoe saying their ratings were up. They didn't mention numbers or anything but that was their story. 

13 days ago
1/1/01

Doritos & Budweiser aren't going to spend $1MM a minute for advertising if ratings are down. They will demand lower rates, which will mean less revenue for the league and the teams.

Sure, let the players do whatever they want. Until it starts to fuck with the money. Once it starts to fuck with the money then the team owners will shut down the SJW bullshit with quickness.

Edited: 13 days ago
3/16/10
oranos -

Did you go to Derek Zoolanders Center For Kids Who Can't Read Good?

13 days ago
1/25/04

Put your fists down you idiots. 

13 days ago
7/7/17

I understand the Titans-Broncos game being down, but the Steelers and Giants have 2 of the larger fanbases in the country. There weren't any NBA games or special events on TV last night. 

13 days ago
11/1/19

Nothing like a bunch of millionaires lecturing us about injustice! NO THANKS!

13 days ago
2/19/09
jcblass - They are still getting the TV money and ad revenue, so they probably don't mind much. They will just stick their head in the sand and say, "well, its probably because of COVID."

Liberals believe so many Americans have died from COVID it's why the NFL ratings are bad! LOL

This is a short sighted view.  Because ratings are down, prices for ads will follow, which will lead to lower revenue.  Its i not a 1 time issue.  Each week will affect the later weeks.  They need to fix asap or the bleeding will continue.

13 days ago
1/1/01
oranos - 

Poor oranos. Life's tough when you're a half-wit.
13 days ago
12/23/02

Fuck them they want to glorify criminals and put them on a pedestal.

13 days ago
5/16/08

The true test will be when we get back to some normalcy. Viewership always goes down during an election year and with the pandemic I'm assuming people cut back on cable/satellite because they couldn't afford it.

13 days ago
1/1/01
oranos - 

NFL live game ratings were actually WAY UP compared to a week ago.

13 days ago
11/9/04
oranos - 

yes,
has anyone had to teach their kids "comparable numbers", in division yet?

lol. so, i graduated with a minor in logic (couldn't major in it at my college) and a degree in systems analysis. like, i've done plenty of math for your average dude on the street.

the comparable numbers approach is basically a system of recursive estimations that back kids into the answer by the third or fourth equation.

i get trying to make the operation more intuitive, but i'd rather do one maybe-unintuitive operation and know i've arrived at the actual answer than do four math problems and maybe or maybe not have gotten there.

example:
if you're dividing 431 by 7, you write out multiples of 7 until you find the first one "close" to the numbers in 431 starting from the left. 7, 21, 35, 42...

kids are supposed to associate 42(10) as "close" to 431, which is antithetical to the purpose of math as a precise calculator in the first place, and then work out how many times 7 goes into the remainder. only, if the remainder's too great, they're to continue the estimation of "comparable" numbers again. and so on until they're arrived at an "answer."

i personally find that WAY less natural than long division and at least i'm done with the problem when i'm done with the problem with the long d. maybe my 20th century mind was already poisioned with all this oppressive male patriarchy/epistemologically privileged dick math?
13 days ago
9/5/08

Good, fuck them and their agenda

13 days ago
1/1/01
JThomasufc91 - 

Nothing like a bunch of millionaires lecturing us about injustice! NO THANKS!

Yes, tell us all again how the POOREST ONE OF YOU makes $500,000 a year, and you're so oppressed.

13 days ago
2/14/10
phydeau -
oranos - 

NFL live game ratings were actually WAY UP compared to a week ago.

Haha, this. 

13 days ago
11/16/17
phydeau -

Doritos & Budweiser aren't going to spend $1MM a minute for advertising if ratings are down. They will demand lower rates, which will mean less revenue for the league and the teams.

Sure, let the players do whatever they want. Until it starts to fuck with the money. Once it starts to fuck with the money then the team owners will shut down the SJW bullshit with quickness.

Once you start fucking with company money shit will get shut down. 

Dana is smart cause, one he doesn't believe in this. Bullshit and rwo, Dana is smart that's why they are kicking ass 

13 days ago
8/1/13

LMAO!. The only good ratings game was Brady's.

13 days ago
1/1/01

I'll say, there isnt 1/10th the BLM stuff during the game in the NFL that there is in the NBA. Literally every second in the NBA has something related to BLM on the screen.It's in huge letters on the court, on the jerseys, on the t-shirts of players on the bench, etc etc.

In the NFL, you can watch a large part of the game without BLM. There is the occasional BLM thing that comes up, but it isnt the major focus of the game like the NBA, where the baskets seem to be an afterthought. I bascially skip the pregame and anthem posturing and go right to the game in the NFL. 

The NFL lets players put something on the back of their helmet, but it's so small I can't see it, unless they point it out and show a close up. Also, the slogans, mottos are out of the endzone and I dont notice them either. If you want to see BLM, you can find it, but if you want to watch the game you can do that.

13 days ago
6/3/03

Wonder what Matt Serra has to say about this?