OtherGround Forums Our Society is Fucked

11 days ago
5/20/19

Today I was eating dinner and saw a family with a toddler. They had the 10 inch iPad in front of him. And the entire time their whole goal was basically, “play with your iPad and don’t bother us!”

Maybe life was always like this and I didn’t catch it. Maybe before iPads we had those little handheld football games. Maybe before the football games there was something else!

Is that what life is about? Go away toddler and don’t bother me? This is our legacy? 

Fuck! If I were Thor, and thank god im not. But if I were Thor, I would throw this earth into the Sun. 

11 days ago
1/18/06
Nah it's about judging peoples entire lifestyles based on tiny slivers of exposure to them in a public restaurant
11 days ago
5/10/04

First post pretty much nails it.

Yes... OP has a point. I get it.
Screen time is generally stigmatized as a negative and lazy parenting... fair enough.

Yeah... when I grew up, the entertainment for long road trips consisted of looking out the window and listening to whatever music my parents played on the radio.
(You can learn a lot about the world looking out the window of a car)

But really -- the parents at the resturant with the tablet, might be awesome parents.
Maybe screen time is strictly limited in their household -- and this was a reward of some kind, or an outlier to allow them to discuss something important for a few minutes.

It's like the asshole that's speeding down the freeway -- weaving in and out and cutting people off.
Yeah... he is probably just an asshole.
But there is a chance that his wife or kid just got hit by a car or something -- and he is rushing to the hospital frantically worried.

Point is, you never really know.

11 days ago
3/21/12
The future is wall-e, get used to it.
11 days ago
1/23/06
We used to play outside as much as possible. Doesn't seem that way anymore. I wonder what the percentage of youths today who can ride a bicycle with no hands is compared to the past.
11 days ago
2/5/06
I went to a banquet tonight at the VFW. (got home just in time for the second half of the football game)

My son participated in a writing contest they have every year called the "Patriot Pen", the banquet was for all the post winners, then the district winner goes on to State....then Nationals. My son won the post (didn't win the district tonight)....but that's ok, we got dinner and he won $50....We are very proud of him.

The theme for this year is "What Makes America Great". The rules were, no political party mentions, no politician names or any names of history...just the general idea of why this country is great.

I listened to young, 7th and 8th graders of different races and ethnicities read very well written essays on why it's pretty damn awesome we have the privilege to live in this amazing country.

My point is.....perspective my man, there are kids doing cool, productive and inspiring things....like creative writing outside of mandatory school. You just don't realize or see it. We should be building up positive instead of criticizing some perceived, assumption based negative.
11 days ago
4/13/12

20 years ago, those parents wouldnt have been able to eat out with a toddler,  or if they did, would have had a miserable time.  So it keeps him distracted while they eat. Big deal.  Really depends on how they use it the other 23 hours of the day.

I do see entire families out at dinner on screens though.  All the time.  All of them sitting together at the table, engrossed in their screens instead of each other, for the entire meal.  Thats sad.

11 days ago
7/13/09

It was so that their kid didn’t annoy the other people in the restaurant trying to eat. When your kid starts screaming or not acting right in public something like that to put on for a kid can be the difference between a full meltdown where you’re leaving the place and a nice night out.  I don’t give a fuck how loud my kid gets I can tune it right out just like I tune out his mom, but I’m considerate so put the iPhone to Blippy for the little dude if he starts getting wild so as not to annoy the people around me.  No feral children on team Whiteboy jinx that’s what’s up. 

11 days ago
4/13/12
JJitsu -

It was so that their kid didn’t annoy the other people in the restaurant trying to eat. When your kid starts screaming or not acting right in public something like that to put on for a kid can be the difference between a full meltdown where you’re leaving the place and a nice night out.  I don’t give a fuck how loud my kid gets I can tune it right out just like I tune out his mom, but I’m considerate so put the iPhone to Blippy for the little dude if he starts getting wild so as not to annoy the people around me.  No feral children on team Whiteboy jinx that’s what’s up. 

LOL @ "no feral children on team whiteboy, jinx thats whats up"

11 days ago
11/10/18

Thing is, the science already exists showing this screen time really fucks these kids up. This information is readily available and people purposefully ignore it because it’s inconvenient. Trying to act like this crap is anything other than a babysitter is laughable. Supposedly none of these tech developers allow their kids to use these devices. Pretty funny if true. 

11 days ago
4/13/12
Eskimo -

Thing is, the science already exists showing this screen time really fucks these kids up. This information is readily available and people purposefully ignore it because it’s inconvenient. Trying to act like this crap is anything other than a babysitter is laughable. Supposedly none of these tech developers allow their kids to use these devices. Pretty funny if true. 

Are you saying studies say there is no safe amount of time or benefits at any age?

Edited: 11 days ago
7/13/09
Eskimo -

Yes these kids getting 30 minutes to an hour of “screen time” watching Baby Einstein, learning numbers and colors, are way more fucked than Gen X who grew up with their face in front of a TV screen from Sesame Street age on.

11 days ago
10/27/03
HoneyGlazedJinx -

Today I was eating dinner and saw a family with a toddler. They had the 10 inch iPad in front of him. And the entire time their whole goal was basically, “play with your iPad and don’t bother us!”

Maybe life was always like this and I didn’t catch it. Maybe before iPads we had those little handheld football games. Maybe before the football games there was something else!

Is that what life is about? Go away toddler and don’t bother me? This is our legacy? 

Fuck! If I were Thor, and thank god im not. But if I were Thor, I would throw this earth into the Sun. 

How many kids do you have?

11 days ago
4/17/13
FingerorMoon -
HoneyGlazedJinx -

How many kids do you have?

Lol exactly what I was going to ask.

11 days ago
7/2/07
Eskimo - 

This and OP are really stirring up the lazy and misguided parents.

11 days ago
7/2/07
OP's observation is a common practice and so many of the replies defending the practice support this as common place.

They also make prespcition drugs you can give little people to calm them down whe you don't have time to raise your children.
11 days ago
1/1/01
HoneyGlazedJinx -

Meanwhile, when he goes to school, Drag Queens will read him fairy tales and then his teacher will teach him about rim jobs. He will be told that gender is fluid and that experimenting in sucking cock is natural and normal. 

And by the time he is ten, he will want to change his name to Mary and wear pigtails and a dress.

11 days ago
1/30/16
TheVandalz - Nah it's about judging peoples entire lifestyles based on tiny slivers of exposure to them in a public restaurant

Bingo, just like I know for sure OP is a huge faggot

11 days ago
1/30/15
williepep - 
Eskimo - 

This and OP are really stirring up the lazy and misguided parents.

100% on both points.

Anyone defending this is misguided. The studies are clear.
11 days ago
7/13/09
williepep - OP's observation is a common practice and so many of the replies defending the practice support this as common place.

They also make prespcition drugs you can give little people to calm them down whe you don't have time to raise your children.

Well yeah duhhh. I mean you sound like you probably needed the Ritalin when you were a kid and your mom just didn’t want you to feel left out from the other short bus kids. Suffice to say not all parents are as horrid as yours and can read so can also follow recommended guidelines. Like this one:

The new warning from the AHA recommends parents limit screen time for kids to a maximum of just two hours per day. For younger children, age 2 to 5, the recommended limit is one hour per day. Research has linked screen time with an increased amount of sedentary behavior in children and teens.

Nice troll though
11 days ago
6/18/19
HoneyGlazedJinx - 

Agreed... People spend most of their time with their faces buried in their phones.. ESPECIALLY... College kids as a whole seem dumber... Test scores are dropping across the board and they're basically brain dead... God help this upcoming generation...
11 days ago
11/10/18
EFM -
Eskimo -

Are you saying studies say there is no safe amount of time or benefits at any age?

No, and you already knew that. 

11 days ago
11/10/18
JJitsu -
Eskimo -

Yes these kids getting 30 minutes to an hour of “screen time” watching Baby Einstein, learning numbers and colors, are way more fucked than Gen X who grew up with their face in front of a TV screen from Sesame Street age on.

If you’re this defensive about anything it should let you know you’re probably doing something wrong. 

11 days ago
11/10/18
JJitsu -
williepep - OP's observation is a common practice and so many of the replies defending the practice support this as common place.

Well yeah duhhh. I mean you sound like you probably needed the Ritalin when you were a kid and your mom just didn’t want you to feel left out from the other short bus kids. Suffice to say not all parents are as horrid as yours and can read so can also follow recommended guidelines. Like this one:

The new warning from the AHA recommends parents limit screen time for kids to a maximum of just two hours per day. For younger children, age 2 to 5, the recommended limit is one hour per day. Research has linked screen time with an increased amount of sedentary behavior in children and teens.

Nice troll though

Lol recommendations from these orgs are usually at least 5 years behind the research. If you’re gonna be an asshole, don’t be a stupid asshole.

Is it really so hard to watch your kids that you’re going to fight for the right to not have to? 

11 days ago
7/13/09
Eskimo -
JJitsu -

Nice troll though

Lol recommendations from these orgs are usually at least 5 years behind the research. If you’re gonna be an asshole, don’t be a stupid asshole.

Is it really so hard to watch your kids that you’re going to fight for the right to not have to? 

LOL OK fucktard I was going to answer you nice but you’re obviously angry at your parents for ignoring you so let’s just get into it. 

so first your theory just got debunked so according to you everyone should now wait 5 years to see how it turns out because you didn’t know that most parents allow a little screen time? LMAO how big a fail were your parents that you’re this butthurt at others? How do you know it hasn’t already been studied for 5 years?  How many kids did you say you had again? 

a 10- 20 minute baby Einstein video to calm your kid at a restaurant is NOT the same as an 8 year old with their face buried in an iPad all day no matter how much you want to make that dipshit argument.  How in the fuck do you not know this and yet are talking like an expert? 

Furthermore how the fuck are all these videos being made if it’s so unhealthy? how is a video of trucks teaching him some colors and letters specifically made for a kid his age so horrible?Explain to us all why Baby Einstein is worse than GenX Sesame Street and doesn’t have a class action lawsuit for child abuse right now brainiac. 

How many kids did you have again?