OtherGround Forums Our Society is Fucked

12/3/19 10:05 AM
7/13/09
Eskimo -
JJitsu -
Eskimo -

Thing is, the science already exists showing this screen time really fucks these kids up. This information is readily available and people purposefully ignore it because it’s inconvenient. Trying to act like this crap is anything other than a babysitter is laughable. Supposedly none of these tech developers allow their kids to use these devices. Pretty funny if true. 

Yes these kids getting 30 minutes to an hour of “screen time” watching Baby Einstein, learning numbers and colors, are way more fucked than Gen X who grew up with their face in front of a TV screen from Sesame Street age on.

If you’re this defensive about anything it should let you know you’re probably doing something wrong. 

The only person that did something wrong is your parents for not giving you critical thinking skills Feltchspit. Everyone knows giving kids too much screen time is bad, everyone also knows that a screaming kid in a restaurant is obnoxious as fuck. An educational video to calm your kid for 20 minutes while you’re eating with him isn’t letting it babysit them. That’s just what a dickwad who doesn’t know WTF they’re talking would say...like you are right now. 

Edited: 12/3/19 10:19 AM
7/13/09
Eskimo -
EFM -
Eskimo -

Thing is, the science already exists showing this screen time really fucks these kids up. This information is readily available and people purposefully ignore it because it’s inconvenient. Trying to act like this crap is anything other than a babysitter is laughable. Supposedly none of these tech developers allow their kids to use these devices. Pretty funny if true. 

Are you saying studies say there is no safe amount of time or benefits at any age?

No, and you already knew that. 

So let’s see some stats then brainiac.

Because at 20 months, my kid counts to 20, knows all his colors can do most of his ABCs and do a few two word sentences like All done and Big Truck. He runs rings around his cousin who’s 10 months older and barely speaks. He wants to play guitar and climb shit and is a sponge  His ridiculously expensive Doctor has no problem with the videos he’s watched and says they do help.  Our kid is what they call “thriving” and hitting all his marks for motor functions and all that stuff and even better shows no signs of being on “the spectrum” for autism or Aspies.  Just because your mom left you in front of Sesame Street doesn’t mean all parents do that. 

How many Kids did you say you had again?

12/3/19 10:19 AM
3/17/03
williepep - OP's observation is a common practice and so many of the replies defending the practice support this as common place.

They also make prespcition drugs you can give little people to calm them down whe you don't have time to raise your children.

This. A lot of bad parent deflection on here. 

Don't be surprised when your sons end up as depressed polyamorous gender fluid basket cases because they were raised by daycare, screens, and public schools instead of their fathers.

12/3/19 10:21 AM
7/13/09
Onikage -
williepep - OP's observation is a common practice and so many of the replies defending the practice support this as common place.

They also make prespcition drugs you can give little people to calm them down whe you don't have time to raise your children.

Don't be surprised when your sons end up as depressed polyamorous gender fluid basket cases because they were raised by daycare, screens, and public schools instead of their fathers.

Eh tu oinkage? you fucked up bro.I’m going to ruin your punk rock thread for this 

12/3/19 11:20 AM
5/20/19
JJitsu -
Onikage -

Eh tu oinkage? you fucked up bro.I’m going to ruin your punk rock thread for this 

Dude you really need to switch to decaf man. Calm down, we are all just having a discussion! You are one of those angry Long Beach white guys with the sublime tattoo on your forearm. Take a chill pill. 

12/3/19 11:31 AM
11/17/10

we let our son use the ipad a bit, and he gor into these rubix cube videos and tutorials hardcore

started messing w rubix cubes and would take 1 with him whenever he needed to be occupied

he learned how to solve a rubux cube from the youtube vids, to the point that he times himself when solving those things, solve 4 by 4s, pyramids, etc.

so it was the best of both worlds ...  a little screen time which parlayed into a useful developmental hobby

12/3/19 11:31 AM
3/17/03
JJitsu - 
Onikage -

Please, no! I recant!
12/3/19 11:38 AM
7/13/09
HoneyGlazedJinx -
JJitsu -
Onikage -

Dude you really need to switch to decaf man. Calm down, we are all just having a discussion! You are one of those angry Long Beach white guys with the sublime tattoo on your forearm. Take a chill pill. 

Yeah I know man I’m frickin hostile in the morning. I really do start posting all pissed off during my morning shit. 
For the Record though NOOOO I’m an 818 SFV Peckerwood not a goddamn Long Beach queer bait and... actually never got the old English letter tattoos which just surprised myself. I have tribal letters on my back way douchier!

12/3/19 11:40 AM
1/18/12

We are all lab rats for this technology stuff.

If they are not hurting anyone or causing a ruckus, i dont really give a fuck how they raise their kid.

If it turns into a tranny or anifta or kevin durant, it makes no difference to me.

Other bad scenarios can take place if they were removed from the screen too.

I mean they could be out in the forest everyday and grow up loving nature so much , that they think killing baby deer at 600 yards is a true test of manhood. 

Life isnt as easy as turning off an ipad.

12/3/19 11:48 AM
5/1/14
FingerorMoon -
HoneyGlazedJinx -

Today I was eating dinner and saw a family with a toddler. They had the 10 inch iPad in front of him. And the entire time their whole goal was basically, “play with your iPad and don’t bother us!”

Maybe life was always like this and I didn’t catch it. Maybe before iPads we had those little handheld football games. Maybe before the football games there was something else!

Is that what life is about? Go away toddler and don’t bother me? This is our legacy? 

Fuck! If I were Thor, and thank god im not. But if I were Thor, I would throw this earth into the Sun. 

How many kids do you have?

I know one for sure. He is planning on giving him HGH to help him grow.

12/3/19 11:57 AM
5/14/08
HoneyGlazedJinx -
JJitsu -
Onikage -

12/3/19 12:32 PM
6/13/09
The restaurant example you gave does not mean "society is fucked".

It means you are an alarmist and a doomer.
12/3/19 12:35 PM
11/10/18
JJitsu -
Eskimo -
JJitsu -

Well yeah duhhh. I mean you sound like you probably needed the Ritalin when you were a kid and your mom just didn’t want you to feel left out from the other short bus kids. Suffice to say not all parents are as horrid as yours and can read so can also follow recommended guidelines. Like this one:

The new warning from the AHA recommends parents limit screen time for kids to a maximum of just two hours per day. For younger children, age 2 to 5, the recommended limit is one hour per day. Research has linked screen time with an increased amount of sedentary behavior in children and teens.

Nice troll though

Lol recommendations from these orgs are usually at least 5 years behind the research. If you’re gonna be an asshole, don’t be a stupid asshole.

Is it really so hard to watch your kids that you’re going to fight for the right to not have to? 

LOL OK fucktard I was going to answer you nice but you’re obviously angry at your parents for ignoring you so let’s just get into it. 

so first your theory just got debunked so according to you everyone should now wait 5 years to see how it turns out because you didn’t know that most parents allow a little screen time? LMAO how big a fail were your parents that you’re this butthurt at others? How do you know it hasn’t already been studied for 5 years?  How many kids did you say you had again? 

a 10- 20 minute baby Einstein video to calm your kid at a restaurant is NOT the same as an 8 year old with their face buried in an iPad all day no matter how much you want to make that dipshit argument.  How in the fuck do you not know this and yet are talking like an expert? 

Furthermore how the fuck are all these videos being made if it’s so unhealthy? how is a video of trucks teaching him some colors and letters specifically made for a kid his age so horrible?Explain to us all why Baby Einstein is worse than GenX Sesame Street and doesn’t have a class action lawsuit for child abuse right now brainiac. 

How many kids did you have again? 

You’re so dumb it hurts. I’m not going to argue with you. Good luck to you and your family. 

12/3/19 12:41 PM
7/13/09
Eskimo -
JJitsu -
Eskimo -
JJitsu -

Well yeah duhhh. I mean you sound like you probably needed the Ritalin when you were a kid and your mom just didn’t want you to feel left out from the other short bus kids. Suffice to say not all parents are as horrid as yours and can read so can also follow recommended guidelines. Like this one:

The new warning from the AHA recommends parents limit screen time for kids to a maximum of just two hours per day. For younger children, age 2 to 5, the recommended limit is one hour per day. Research has linked screen time with an increased amount of sedentary behavior in children and teens.

Nice troll though

Lol recommendations from these orgs are usually at least 5 years behind the research. If you’re gonna be an asshole, don’t be a stupid asshole.

Is it really so hard to watch your kids that you’re going to fight for the right to not have to? 

LOL OK fucktard I was going to answer you nice but you’re obviously angry at your parents for ignoring you so let’s just get into it. 

so first your theory just got debunked so according to you everyone should now wait 5 years to see how it turns out because you didn’t know that most parents allow a little screen time? LMAO how big a fail were your parents that you’re this butthurt at others? How do you know it hasn’t already been studied for 5 years?  How many kids did you say you had again? 

a 10- 20 minute baby Einstein video to calm your kid at a restaurant is NOT the same as an 8 year old with their face buried in an iPad all day no matter how much you want to make that dipshit argument.  How in the fuck do you not know this and yet are talking like an expert? 

Furthermore how the fuck are all these videos being made if it’s so unhealthy? how is a video of trucks teaching him some colors and letters specifically made for a kid his age so horrible?Explain to us all why Baby Einstein is worse than GenX Sesame Street and doesn’t have a class action lawsuit for child abuse right now brainiac. 

You’re so dumb it hurts. I’m not going to argue with you. Good luck to you and your family. 

No you’re a fuckin chumpstain who wants to insinuate people are bad parents but won’t even answer wether you have a kid or not or even acknowledge that there are different types of “Screen time”. You don’t need to argue anything more we’ve already established you’re a fucktard. If you don’t like being called that don’t start your posts calling people assholes you fuckin dipshit. 

12/3/19 12:43 PM
1/1/01
EFM - 

20 years ago, those parents wouldnt have been able to eat out with a toddler,  or if they did, would have had a miserable time.  So it keeps him distracted while they eat. Big deal.  Really depends on how they use it the other 23 hours of the day.

I do see entire families out at dinner on screens though.  All the time.  All of them sitting together at the table, engrossed in their screens instead of each other, for the entire meal.  Thats sad.

over 45 years ago, my parents were able to eat out with me as a toddler without having a miserable time.

They gave me a book to read.

Crazy concept.

Parents these days suck

Get off my lawn, OK Boomer and all that shit.

12/3/19 1:24 PM
11/10/18
JJitsu -
Eskimo -
JJitsu -
Eskimo -
JJitsu -

Nice troll though

No you’re a fuckin chumpstain who wants to insinuate people are bad parents but won’t even answer wether you have a kid or not or even acknowledge that there are different types of “Screen time”. You don’t need to argue anything more we’ve already established you’re a fucktard. If you don’t like being called that don’t start your posts calling people assholes you fuckin dipshit. 

Lol does it make you feel tough to talk like that on an anonymous website? 
Also, if anyone had any doubts about your parenting you’ve more than confirmed their concerns. Clearly you’re unstable. Why would anyone waste their time trying to have a conversation with someone that flies off the handle like you? I’m wondering what kind of parenting you received as a child. I’m guessing you were raised by a single mom. In my experience men raised by men don’t blow up and say the silly shit you’ve said because they understand consequences. Or maybe you’ve just acted as a tough guy on the Internet for so long that you really think you are one. 

Like I said, good luck to you and your family. 

12/3/19 1:37 PM
1/1/01
Redneck - 
HoneyGlazedJinx -

Today I was eating dinner and saw a family with a toddler. They had the 10 inch iPad in front of him. And the entire time their whole goal was basically, “play with your iPad and don’t bother us!”

Maybe life was always like this and I didn’t catch it. Maybe before iPads we had those little handheld football games. Maybe before the football games there was something else!

Is that what life is about? Go away toddler and don’t bother me? This is our legacy? 

Fuck! If I were Thor, and thank god im not. But if I were Thor, I would throw this earth into the Sun. 

Meanwhile, when he goes to school, Drag Queens will read him fairy tales and then his teacher will teach him about rim jobs. He will be told that gender is fluid and that experimenting in sucking cock is natural and normal. 

And by the time he is ten, he will want to change his name to Mary and wear pigtails and a dress.

Holy shit, haven't seen your posts in a while.  Welcome back.

12/3/19 1:39 PM
4/13/12
PatK -
EFM - 

20 years ago, those parents wouldnt have been able to eat out with a toddler,  or if they did, would have had a miserable time.  So it keeps him distracted while they eat. Big deal.  Really depends on how they use it the other 23 hours of the day.

I do see entire families out at dinner on screens though.  All the time.  All of them sitting together at the table, engrossed in their screens instead of each other, for the entire meal.  Thats sad.

over 45 years ago, my parents were able to eat out with me as a toddler without having a miserable time.

Crazy concept.

Parents these days suck

you read books as a toddler?

i'm not saying it's always the right move - personally, i've never given my kid a screen in a restaurant.  but if that's what it takes to keep everyone happy, so be it.  not all kids are the same.

12/3/19 1:48 PM
5/27/08

Maybe they wanted everyone in the restaurant to enjoy themselves and not listen to a screaming kid 

12/3/19 2:16 PM
1/1/01
EFM - 
PatK -
EFM - 

Crazy concept.

Parents these days suck

i'm not saying it's always the right move - personally, i've never given my kid a screen in a restaurant.  but if that's what it takes to keep everyone happy, so be it.  not all kids are the same.

You do know they have books for toddlers?

It's not like they gave me Moby Dick and asked for a fucking report after dinner

12/3/19 3:16 PM
2/8/08
I just came from my 11 year old son's 1st quarter review with his teacher, and he is doing great. All A's and B's with his best comments from the teacher being about how well mannered, hard working, and well liked he is by students and staff (if you cant tell, Im super proud and stoked for him, for trying so hard this year).
All this and we have always let him have electronics when out to dinner at a family restaurant. Our only rule with it in public is it has to be muted.

To come to the assumption that these are lazy and/or bad parents strictly off a short observation out to dinner says a lot more about you as a person, than them as a parent.

You cant compare how your parents treated you while out to dinner 50 years ago, to now. Your parents used their arm across your chest as a seat belt back then. Times have changed.
12/3/19 3:21 PM
4/13/12
PatK -
EFM - 
PatK -
EFM - 

Crazy concept.

Parents these days suck

It's not like they gave me Moby Dick and asked for a fucking report after dinner

sure.  but toddlers don't read them, they are read to toddlers by adults.  have you seen what a toddler typically does when given a book?  don't act like you sat there completely consumed by the latest adventrues of Ted and Fred while your parents enjoyed a meal.

12/3/19 3:22 PM
2/3/10

Those are just shitty parents

12/3/19 4:06 PM
5/14/10
When I was a kid I didn't get to play with a computer at the table when we went out to eat. I had to draw on the back of a shitty menu with only single-serve primary colors while my parents ignored the fuck out of me. Kids these days are spoiled.

12/3/19 4:10 PM
1/1/01
EFM - 
PatK -
EFM - 
PatK -
EFM - 

Crazy concept.

Parents these days suck

sure.  but toddlers don't read them, they are read to toddlers by adults.  have you seen what a toddler typically does when given a book?  don't act like you sat there completely consumed by the latest adventrues of Ted and Fred while your parents enjoyed a meal.

Spotted the guy that uses a screen to make up for lack of parenting