OtherGround Forums Owned a Trauma Scene Cleanup Co. AMA

6 days ago
1/1/01

I had a side hustle for about 4 years where I was one-third owner of a Crime Scene / BioHazard / Trauma Scene / Hoarder cleanup company.  Saw some crazy shit.  Made some real good money at times.  AMA

6 days ago
1/30/03

How are you doing?

6 days ago
9/20/10

What was the best job you ever had money wise? What was the worst job you ever had money wise? And obviously what was the craziest Story that sticks out in your mind from that job?

6 days ago
5/14/10

In your opinion, what is the best flavor of Pop Tarts?

6 days ago
1/1/01
Animal Chin - 

How are you doing?

My numbers are solid; still on my first med which, to a stage 4 patient is the form of remission that can be attained.  No further spread of the cancer.

I am living a FAR better life than I ever have.  Thanks for asking.

6 days ago
9/13/06

What made you vomit?

6 days ago
1/1/01
Odinson - 

What was the best job you ever had money wise? What was the worst job you ever had money wise? And obviously what was the craziest Story that sticks out in your mind from that job?

Best job (money) was a tear gas clean up in Van Nuys CA.  PD had served a warrant and went buck WILD with the tear gas.  It was a rental.  Owner had homeowners insurance and we billed $60K for a Thu - Mon job.

Worst job (money) is hard to say.  We billed a ton for jobs; I honestly can't think of one where I left it thinking "damn, that was way more work than the money was worth".

Lots of crazy stories..........lemme see.  We had a hoarding job in Hesperia.  Two night, three day job.  I had gone back to the hotel and realized I had left my sunglasses somewhere on the job.  We had the owners move out for the three days. I went back around 10:00 pm.  We had these 40 foot haulaway open top trash containers brought in and as I'm looking around our setup table for the glasses I hear someone in the haulaway.  The wife (hoarder) was in the haulaway searching through it.  She was kind of just sitting in it.  Crying.

Had a trailer (double wide) hoarding clean up and there was a the bottom half of a dead cat hanging from the ceiling (top half was up in the ceiling area where I couldn't see) and it was there for like 30 minutes after we started the clean up.  I was going in to check on the guy who was responsible for that room and thought "I should pull that fuckin cat down and throw it away".  I pulled on the cat and the fucking thing was barely alive.  Hissed like a motherfucker when I pulled it down and I freaked out and just kept pulling and slammed it down on the floor.  It wasn't completely dead when I grabbed it; it was dead after it hit the ground and I crunched it's head.

6 days ago
1/1/01
GentileLarryDavid - 

What made you vomit?

I've never thrown up in my life.

6 days ago
1/1/01
Freaky_Hibiki - In your opinion, what is the best flavor of Pop Tarts?

Cherry

6 days ago
6/3/03

No shit? Cool thread OP. 

Worst scene you ever cleaned?

6 days ago
3/19/04
Samoa - 

Cherry

Cherry? Seriously. I think I lost a little respect. Just a pinch though.

6 days ago
11/15/07

Any special chemicals for cleaning up blood and stuff? Asking for a friend.....

6 days ago
1/1/01

Why'd you stop doing that?  How hard is it to get into?

6 days ago
1/1/01
Nitecrawler - 

No shit? Cool thread OP. 

Worst scene you ever cleaned?

Worst is a relative term.  Hoarding jobs are dirtier than crime scene cleanups.  By far.  Worst (IMO) job we had was a house that you could literally walk the entire house and NEVER stop on the floor.  Dirty clothes and magazines / newspapers everywhere.  In one room was ALL catshit.  I wish I could find my old pictures.  It was like an inch of cat shit on the floor all the way across.  The entire place STUNK like crazy.  The garage was worse.  The bathroom had a tiny place where a person could squeeze their ass onto the shitter.  If you were to sit down the crap piled up next to you would be above your head.

Had a guy deceased in his apartment in the Sierra Foothills for over a week.  Hot as fuck.  Coroner took the body but he had emptied his fluids and blood after his body had essentially exploded (on the inside).  $15K for one days work and worth every penny.

6 days ago
1/1/01
TFK_Mas Tisu - 

Any special chemicals for cleaning up blood and stuff? Asking for a friend.....

There is an "activator" that you spray that bubbles when there is blood that it touches.  Then there is a industrial grade detergent spray that cleans the blood and removes it.  To certify a scene clean there can be no blood or bio matter anywhere.  So if the blood drains down into the subfloor, you demo it and take it with you.  If it drains onto the cement below, you use the detergent to clean the cement.

A lot of demo and take with you.  Demo without concern for re-construction is fun.  Fuck it, rip it the fuck up!

6 days ago
4/4/03

IICRC certified techs?

6 days ago
1/1/01
Canooke - 
Samoa - 

Cherry

Cherry? Seriously. I think I lost a little respect. Just a pinch though.

Its the last flavor I had.  I think I've had Pop Tarts like less than 10 times in my life.  Now that I've given it some thought, I had brown sugar flavor (!?!) ones at my nieces house two years ago, those were good.

6 days ago
5/30/09
cruedi -

Yeah why'd you quit?I run a cleaning business and this might be a good niche to get into. I've cleaned out areas where bums had been camping and I almost couldn't finish

6 days ago
1/1/01
cruedi - 

One of the owners moved to Texas.  The other owners son (he and his friends were most of the labor) grew up and became a cop.  Things just kind of happened all at once and it just was time to let it go.

6 days ago
4/4/03
Samoa - 
Animal Chin - 

How are you doing?

My numbers are solid; still on my first med which, to a stage 4 patient is the form of remission that can be attained.  No further spread of the cancer.

Damn, didn't know you have stage 4 cancer. Glad to hear you're living your good life.
6 days ago
1/1/01

It didn't seem too hard to get into.  We trained with another company that was already doing jobs and certified through them.  It was kind of a scam I think; he was just riding our jobs and billing us for 'training' long after we knew what we were doing.  We finally broke off from him but we didn't part ways amicably.

6 days ago
1/1/01
TheAlchemist - 
Samoa - 
Animal Chin - 

How are you doing?

Damn, didn't know you have stage 4 cancer. Glad to hear you're living your good life.

Life is good; I wish I lived my life with a "waste absolutely ZERO minutes" mindset my whole life.

I surrender to a higher power

I believe that things happen FOR me not TO me

I don't fear the outcome

6 days ago
1/1/01
darkness66 - 
cruedi -

Yeah why'd you quit?I run a cleaning business and this might be a good niche to get into. I've cleaned out areas where bums had been camping and I almost couldn't finish

Yeah, hoarding is like those kind of clean ups but because of the bio aspect of the jobs we were billing like $250 an hour.

6 days ago
9/20/10
Samoa -
Odinson - 

Best job (money) was a tear gas clean up in Van Nuys CA.  PD had served a warrant and went buck WILD with the tear gas.  It was a rental.  Owner had homeowners insurance and we billed $60K for a Thu - Mon job.

Worst job (money) is hard to say.  We billed a ton for jobs; I honestly can't think of one where I left it thinking "damn, that was way more work than the money was worth".

Lots of crazy stories..........lemme see.  We had a hoarding job in Hesperia.  Two night, three day job.  I had gone back to the hotel and realized I had left my sunglasses somewhere on the job.  We had the owners move out for the three days. I went back around 10:00 pm.  We had these 40 foot haulaway open top trash containers brought in and as I'm looking around our setup table for the glasses I hear someone in the haulaway.  The wife (hoarder) was in the haulaway searching through it.  She was kind of just sitting in it.  Crying.

Had a trailer (double wide) hoarding clean up and there was a the bottom half of a dead cat hanging from the ceiling (top half was up in the ceiling area where I couldn't see) and it was there for like 30 minutes after we started the clean up.  I was going in to check on the guy who was responsible for that room and thought "I should pull that fuckin cat down and throw it away".  I pulled on the cat and the fucking thing was barely alive.  Hissed like a motherfucker when I pulled it down and I freaked out and just kept pulling and slammed it down on the floor.  It wasn't completely dead when I grabbed it; it was dead after it hit the ground and I crunched it's head.

Bro.. Been there through similar somewhat situations at least relatable. Best wishes to brother Ho Lee fuk

6 days ago
1/1/01

We were cleaning cars (insurance billed; good money) and were in the Central Valley after getting a call about a car with blood in it.  We showed up in Turlock (I think; maybe Modesto) and the car was parked on the street in front of the house.  Blood EVERYWHERE inside the car.  We set up from our trailer, suit up (full suit, mask etc) and get to work.  Neighbors must have called the cops.  Cops show up and dude gets out.  Asks us what we are doing and when I tell him he says "OH!  This is the car!".  Apparently some girl had an attempted car jacking happen at a park in the next town over.  Some girls tried to car jack another girl.  They didn't know each other.  The cop said that the girl escaped UNHARMED!  All the blood in the car was the suspects.  He said that the girl chased one of the girls down after they took off and held her until the police came.