OtherGround Forums Owned a Trauma Scene Cleanup Co. AMA

5 days ago
5/30/09

How did you get your name out there when you first started? Seems like a good business to be in

5 days ago
2/8/08
Samoa - 
SeattlesbigDprolapsedME - OK, serious question, now.

Did anything you see give you nightmares. or some form of PTSD? Seeing some of this stuff isnt "normal", and can really hit you later.

What years were you doing this? I flipped homes for banks back in 07-2010...and I spent some time in the Hesperia area. There were houses that people would squat in, and the filth/hoarding I would have to bid on to clean up, was hard for me to explain to someone that hasnt seen it.

I think we started in late '08 and ran into about '11 or 12 maybe.

Nah, it really didn't bug me or I wouldn't have done it.  Having family around the death scenes was tough, but not because of the job, just the humanity of it.  The girl blows her head off with a shotgun story I told earlier, the boyfriend sat outside of the apartment the whole time we were cleaning it up.  Just sad.

I have a few friends that are firefighters, and the things that seem to bother them most are things they can relate to home....kids in car accidents, people passing in front of spouses, mothers seeing their kids die, etc. I dont think I could handle this very well.

I know you have bigger things on your plate at the moment, but you are one of the few people on here that really come across as genuine and real. Youve got some interesting stories, man.

I hope more than anything, that youre healthy and well, but it would be a shame not to share more of your stories. A book, a blog, or something..

Either way, thanks for sharing.

5 days ago
1/13/11

Ok, so ask you anything?  Ok.

if you had to describe yourself in one word, what would be your word?

I'm so happy to see you posting Samoa, you are one of the realest, most honest and genuinely great people I have had the pleasure to chat with on this board. I'm glad to know you are doing well and your outlook hasn't changed. 

all the best to you and your family always my friend. 

You don't have to pick one word, that was just for fun. And I agree that Hoarders are the fucking worst.  I went to jobs at two separate hoarders houses, I walked out of one without doing anything because it was just stomach churning and disgusting. The second one was only a level 3 so I was able to do my job without hurting myself or puking. 

5 days ago
1/1/01
EFM - 

Ever clean up a professional hit?

Think you could cover up a professional hit?

How about an amateur hit.

None of the scenes we did looked like professional hits, but then maybe that the pro was that good that they made it look all messy like that.

I think myself, one of the other owners and one of the workers could have scrubbed a murder scene clean but only to the "clean" extent.  Forensics now will tell you if the detergents and cleaners were present so although there would be no evidence (I believe we were that good) there is no hiding the fact that there was a cleanup.

5 days ago
1/1/01
darkness66 - 

How did you get your name out there when you first started? Seems like a good business to be in

We joined an org that had cleaning companies and then it was the yellow pages and the internet.

I will tell you a racket that must make a GRIP of money:  We used to get the 40 foot haulaways brought out for both trauma scene cleanup (if there was a ton of demo to be done) and almost every hoarding cleanup.  There are companies online that advertise as if they are the haulaway company.  All they ACTUALLY do is take your call and then call the haulaway companies to drop off a bin and then charge the caller 100% markup.  I got took ONCE on that one and then never made that mistake again.

5 days ago
1/1/01
SeattlesbigDprolapsedME - 
Samoa - 
SeattlesbigDprolapsedME - OK, serious question, now.

Did anything you see give you nightmares. or some form of PTSD? Seeing some of this stuff isnt "normal", and can really hit you later.

What years were you doing this? I flipped homes for banks back in 07-2010...and I spent some time in the Hesperia area. There were houses that people would squat in, and the filth/hoarding I would have to bid on to clean up, was hard for me to explain to someone that hasnt seen it.

I think we started in late '08 and ran into about '11 or 12 maybe.

Nah, it really didn't bug me or I wouldn't have done it.  Having family around the death scenes was tough, but not because of the job, just the humanity of it.  The girl blows her head off with a shotgun story I told earlier, the boyfriend sat outside of the apartment the whole time we were cleaning it up.  Just sad.

I have a few friends that are firefighters, and the things that seem to bother them most are things they can relate to home....kids in car accidents, people passing in front of spouses, mothers seeing their kids die, etc. I dont think I could handle this very well.

I know you have bigger things on your plate at the moment, but you are one of the few people on here that really come across as genuine and real. Youve got some interesting stories, man.

I hope more than anything, that youre healthy and well, but it would be a shame not to share more of your stories. A book, a blog, or something..

Either way, thanks for sharing.

Yeah, the humanity is what gets ya in the feels.  I didn't give two shits about blood and gore but the family being around and stuff wore on me.

Thanks for the kind words.  I think having cancer has made me more open.  Shame is deep from within; I believe it feeds cancer so I said fuck it, I'm open and real and I forgive with the quickness.  Life is too short to carry resentment.  I don't mean that from a cancer standpoint, I could step off the curb tomorrow and get killed.  I mean that from a everyday standpoint for everyone.

I've been to a lot of funerals.  I don't leave shit on the table any longer.  If I love someone, I tell them.  If I don't like something, I say it straight away.  If I don't want to be somewhere, I'm not there.  If I want to be somewhere, I'm there.  I live my life by the simple mantra of "waste no minutes".  You never get a SINGLE ONE back again.  Once time is gone, its gone forever.

5 days ago
1/1/01
ABCTT_sakurabas ear - 

Ok, so ask you anything?  Ok.

if you had to describe yourself in one word, what would be your word?

I'm so happy to see you posting Samoa, you are one of the realest, most honest and genuinely great people I have had the pleasure to chat with on this board. I'm glad to know you are doing well and your outlook hasn't changed. 

all the best to you and your family always my friend. 

You don't have to pick one word, that was just for fun. And I agree that Hoarders are the fucking worst.  I went to jobs at two separate hoarders houses, I walked out of one without doing anything because it was just stomach churning and disgusting. The second one was only a level 3 so I was able to do my job without hurting myself or puking. 

One word:  Passionate.

I'm passionate about life.  Every bit of it.  If I'm spending time with loved ones, I'm passionate about that.  If I'm on vacation with family, I'm passionate about it.  If I'm stuck in a boring meeting, I'm the one asking questions and taking notes because I'm passionate about life.  If I have to be in the boring meeting, I'm not wasting a minute of it, I'm going to make the most of that stupid meeting.  When a sun sets, I will never EVER get that day back again.  When an hour goes by, it's gone to the universe.  Every bit of life that I can cram into every minute of the day, I do with passion.

I beat cancer one day at a time, one hour at a time, one minute at a time.  One day I might not, but that isn't up to me.  I "waste no minutes" and do shit that I love to do.  Everyday.

Thanks brother, this place is therapeutic for me.

5 days ago
1/12/12
Canooke -
Samoa - 
Freaky_Hibiki - In your opinion, what is the best flavor of Pop Tarts?

Cherry

Cherry? Seriously. I think I lost a little respect. Just a pinch though.

Best pop tart flavor for sure.

5 days ago
10/10/02
Samoa -
Odinson - 

What was the best job you ever had money wise? What was the worst job you ever had money wise? And obviously what was the craziest Story that sticks out in your mind from that job?

Best job (money) was a tear gas clean up in Van Nuys CA.  PD had served a warrant and went buck WILD with the tear gas.  It was a rental.  Owner had homeowners insurance and we billed $60K for a Thu - Mon job.

Worst job (money) is hard to say.  We billed a ton for jobs; I honestly can't think of one where I left it thinking "damn, that was way more work than the money was worth".

Lots of crazy stories..........lemme see.  We had a hoarding job in Hesperia.  Two night, three day job.  I had gone back to the hotel and realized I had left my sunglasses somewhere on the job.  We had the owners move out for the three days. I went back around 10:00 pm.  We had these 40 foot haulaway open top trash containers brought in and as I'm looking around our setup table for the glasses I hear someone in the haulaway.  The wife (hoarder) was in the haulaway searching through it.  She was kind of just sitting in it.  Crying.

Had a trailer (double wide) hoarding clean up and there was a the bottom half of a dead cat hanging from the ceiling (top half was up in the ceiling area where I couldn't see) and it was there for like 30 minutes after we started the clean up.  I was going in to check on the guy who was responsible for that room and thought "I should pull that fuckin cat down and throw it away".  I pulled on the cat and the fucking thing was barely alive.  Hissed like a motherfucker when I pulled it down and I freaked out and just kept pulling and slammed it down on the floor.  It wasn't completely dead when I grabbed it; it was dead after it hit the ground and I crunched it's head.

So a cat was stuck in a hoarder house and barely alive so you crushed its skull? 

5 days ago
1/1/01
NKcell -
Samoa -
Odinson - 

What was the best job you ever had money wise? What was the worst job you ever had money wise? And obviously what was the craziest Story that sticks out in your mind from that job?

Best job (money) was a tear gas clean up in Van Nuys CA.  PD had served a warrant and went buck WILD with the tear gas.  It was a rental.  Owner had homeowners insurance and we billed $60K for a Thu - Mon job.

Worst job (money) is hard to say.  We billed a ton for jobs; I honestly can't think of one where I left it thinking "damn, that was way more work than the money was worth".

Lots of crazy stories..........lemme see.  We had a hoarding job in Hesperia.  Two night, three day job.  I had gone back to the hotel and realized I had left my sunglasses somewhere on the job.  We had the owners move out for the three days. I went back around 10:00 pm.  We had these 40 foot haulaway open top trash containers brought in and as I'm looking around our setup table for the glasses I hear someone in the haulaway.  The wife (hoarder) was in the haulaway searching through it.  She was kind of just sitting in it.  Crying.

Had a trailer (double wide) hoarding clean up and there was a the bottom half of a dead cat hanging from the ceiling (top half was up in the ceiling area where I couldn't see) and it was there for like 30 minutes after we started the clean up.  I was going in to check on the guy who was responsible for that room and thought "I should pull that fuckin cat down and throw it away".  I pulled on the cat and the fucking thing was barely alive.  Hissed like a motherfucker when I pulled it down and I freaked out and just kept pulling and slammed it down on the floor.  It wasn't completely dead when I grabbed it; it was dead after it hit the ground and I crunched it's head.

So a cat was stuck in a hoarder house and barely alive so you crushed its skull? 

The cat was 99% dead.  If you want to believe I murdered a cat.......I'm ok with that. 

5 days ago
5/3/03

Samoa got the good stories. Great post .

5 days ago
4/26/13

Vtfu

5 days ago
9/1/13

In

5 days ago
5/11/11

In

5 days ago
9/17/07

Hello Samoa, I had non Hodgkins Lymphoma stage 3b about 9 or ten years ago. I was Mikey Burnett's first mma coach, trained with Dirk Rice, Bea Taylor, Matt Wimman, David Heath, Gerald Harris and helped coach Gerald in wrestling. If you ever need to talk I can listen. Sorry about giving my Resume but, I don't talk much and most have forgotten who I am.

Terrible Todd 

5 days ago
1/1/01

ttt

5 days ago
1/1/01

Cool thread. Thanks. Their was a tale here in az that a guy shot himself in a vette and whoever bought it ultimately demolished it because they couldn't get the smell out. Iirc they reenacted the story on mythbusters. Is it really impossible to get the death smell out?

5 days ago
1/2/06
ttc -

Hello Samoa, I had non Hodgkins Lymphoma stage 3b about 9 or ten years ago. I was Mikey Burnett's first mma coach, trained with Dirk Rice, Bea Taylor, Matt Wimman, David Heath, Gerald Harris and helped coach Gerald in wrestling. If you ever need to talk I can listen. Sorry about giving my Resume but, I don't talk much and most have forgotten who I am.

Terrible Todd 

Change your screen name to OMA's Coach. 

Great thread Samoa. 

5 days ago
10/29/15

In

5 days ago
5/3/03
Samoa -
NKcell -
Samoa -
Odinson - 

The cat was 99% dead.  If you want to believe I murdered a cat.......I'm ok with that. 

Sounds like to me , you gave it mercy. I don't think a vet in the world could bring that cat back .

5 days ago
1/1/01
rustyshakleford - 
Samoa -
NKcell -
Samoa -
Odinson - 

Sounds like to me , you gave it mercy. I don't think a vet in the world could bring that cat back .

There were dead and dying cats all over the trailer.

5 days ago
1/1/01

We had a decomp that had been in a 100 degree apartment for like four or five days.  Horrible stench to say the least.  I remember demo'ing the floor and seeing something move out of the corner of my eye.  I was staring up at a table by the window across the room.  The drapes were drawn but they were pretty much see through.  It looked like the window was moving.  Weird shit.  So i stand up and walk across the room and I realize that there are probably two hundred flies in between the curtain and the window.  Trapped in there.  Some were dead.  I had no idea what to do with that so I just walked back and finished the floor.  Crazy scene I probably didn't do justice to it.

5 days ago
1/1/01
ttc - 

Terrible Todd 

I missed this.  Thanks brother; if I need to reach out I definitely will.  David Heath used to train with C Gracie didn't he?

5 days ago
1/1/01
joesonshuevos - 

Cool thread. Thanks. Their was a tale here in az that a guy shot himself in a vette and whoever bought it ultimately demolished it because they couldn't get the smell out. Iirc they reenacted the story on mythbusters. Is it really impossible to get the death smell out?

We would use the Ozone generator and a high grade aerosol to get stink out after the bio was cleaned out.  Sometimes if you have a lot of clothes or cloth or carpet and the bio was there for a really long time.........you just can't get it out.

We cleaned a car after a suicide and got it all out.  We had a contract with a company that bought cars at police auctions and would have us clean a car if it had bio or needles.  I remember going to do a "drug / bio" cleanup.  Got in the car and found a hype kit (clean and closed) and a dirty diaper in the trunk.  Took me literally 3 minutes.  $150

5 days ago
1/1/01

What did you do with the material you removed from sites?  Especially the bio-contaminated stuff?