OtherGround Forums Parasite Oscars

12 days ago
11/28/03

brad is pretty average at acting

11 days ago
9/2/09
jman -

Please tell me what was so great about this movie?

I watched it this weekend and thought it was OK, not great, not bad. The director is amazing and I loved Memories of Murder and Mother, but I have no idea why this film is hyped so much.

I'm more curious about what others are seeing that they think this film is so amazing, because I can think of 10 Korean movies I like better off the top of my head.

In my opinion, the film had one of the most detailed character writing I've seen in a film. Was able to convey a Walter White level of complexity within a two hour span is quite the feat. 

It's incredibly subtle, It definitely went over my head when I watched it but was very thought provoking for me. 

10 days ago
10/1/02

Just watched it. It was a pretty good film but no way should it have beat Once Upon or Joker. I even think JoJo Rabbit was better than Parasite. 

And I agree about the "heros" being pieces of shit who step on others to get ahead. Exactly the type of person you don't want your kids to become; but those parents encouraged it. 

Still sad that they lost their daughter.

Edited: 10 days ago
1/6/20

Watched it last night, I liked it through the first half then it became dark and twisted, was the opposite of a heart-warming ending lol.

The movie depicts how the upper and lower classes do not mix well, one looking down on the another and the poverty class using their street smarts to leech on like a parastite to get themselves out of the gutter.  Fitting that the father ended up living the rest of his life in the basement of the house. 

I also didn't like the fact that the scumbag family made off "ok" while they killed the head of the honest family. 

My gf is Irish so I reckon that we'll have to watch the Irishman next lol.

10 days ago
3/1/10
EVspinner -

Watched it last night, I liked it through the first half then it became dark and twisted, was the opposite of a heart-warming ending lol.

The movie depicts how the upper and lower classes do not mix well, one looking down on the another and the poverty class using their street smarts to leech on like a parastite to get themselves out of the gutter.  Fitting that the father ended up living the rest of his life in the basement of the house. 

I also didn't like the fact that the scumbag family made off "ok" while they killed the head of the honest family. 

My gf is Irish so I reckon that we'll have to watch the Irishman next lol.

You can split up Irishman and watch it as a miniseries LOL

https://screenrant.com/irishman-movie-netflix-viewing-guide-miniseries/

10 days ago
3/12/14

I thought 1917 would win for sure. Its the standard Oscars type movie. 

I wanted Once Upon a Time or Jojo Rabbit to win cause I loved them.

10 days ago
2/16/04

Only saw Joker, Parasite, and 1917. I thought 1917 was the best movie.

10 days ago
10/31/13
holly9000 -

And for the record, Parasite's message is pretty fucked up if you ask me. It essentially makes villains out of decent normal people and hero's out of total scumbags. In the end the audience is routing for the pieces of shit and the message is that rich people deserve to get fucked over by any means necessary. Not really the kind of message you really should be rewarding with high honors imo but whatever. I guess for the pedo's in Hollywood deifying abhorrent behavior is standard operating procedure at this point.

But yeah it was entertaining to be sure.

I'm not pitting any movie against another.  If you enjoy a movie or find it intreresting or entertaining on some level then it accomplished something for you.  I think you need to see Parasite again if you think the message (if there is one) is as you stated.

7 days ago
7/13/09

Just finished watching.  That movies plot had more detours than summer road construction.    

Edited: 7 days ago
3/1/10

Parasite is similar to Joker in the sense that people think it is glorifying a shitty character (or characters) when it really isn't.

At the end of Joker, Arthur is a demented, murderous piece of shit who starts a culture war which results in innocent lives being lost. He's not a hero, or even an antihero. Just a piece of shit. He has no redeeming qualities shown in the film, and the only thing sympathetic about him are his socioeconomic circumstances, though the film does not use that as a crutch to excuse his behavior.

If you root for him, that's on you and you should reflect on why you feel drawn to him.

Similarly, with Parasite, the family is not presented as the good guys. At its core, they are con artists who destroyed an innocent family after trying to exploit them. The patriarch commits murder and has to hide in the hidden bunker in the home, being able to live in his dream house but as a hidden parasite. The son has grandious plans of saving his dad and reuiniting his family, but those ambitions are a tenuous delusion, at best.

If you root for the con artist family, again, that's on you and again, ask yourself why you find the scummy con-artists to be the good guys.

At face value, the rich family are the innocent ones, and the victims. There is nothing in the film which tilts the scale for you to root for the con artist family.

These films are about class warfare, but that has always been a theme in performance art throughout history. It's not a new concept. It's weird to see people getting triggered over films which explore ideas such as privilege and wealth from a societal perspective.