OtherGround Forums Parasite Oscars

7 days ago
4/11/05

Fuck yeah... Incredible film! 

1st ever foreign language movie to win best movie! 

7 days ago
3/1/10

A man named Bong Joon Ho wins Oscar for best original screenplay over Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and 1917. Acceptance speech was: "GREAT HONOR. THANK YOU." Then he proceeds to give the rest of his speech in Korean.

These people are the destruction of America.

"These people" are obviously not Koreans but those in Hollywood awarding a foreign film that stokes flames of class warfare over 2 films I thought were more deserving simply to show how woke they are.

7 days ago
5/5/07

Heard good things about it

Will watch 

7 days ago
11/11/11

Although I am just a bear, didnt crouching tiger win best picture?

7 days ago
3/1/10
TheBearStare -

Although I am just a bear, didnt crouching tiger win best picture?

Crouching Tiger won best foreign language film.

A number of years ago a French film won best picture, but it was a silent film (The Artist) so it didn't count as being a foreign language film to win best picture.

7 days ago
2/23/05

Parasite was good but it did not deserve that win. The Irishman deserved the win-hand's down the best of the bunch

7 days ago
3/28/10
holly9000 -

Parasite was good but it did not deserve that win. The Irishman deserved the win-hand's down the best of the bunch

Haha

7 days ago
2/11/03

More likely due to a very weak field. Come on Brad pitt as best anything. I like his movies but he's not that good of an actor.

7 days ago
4/19/17

1917 should have won best director and best film

7 days ago
2/23/05
Lights Out Lurker - 

lol no.

7 days ago
2/23/05
Poop Doodle - 
holly9000 -

Haha

If Parasite had NOT been a foreign language film it would never have won BP

7 days ago
5/7/10
holly9000 -

Well The Departed won an oscar after it ripped Infernal Affairs 1:1 just with more fucks. Anyway Parasite had the best story out of the bunch, so good it won even if it's probably due to #oscarssowhite.

7 days ago
3/28/10
holly9000 -
Poop Doodle - 
holly9000 -

Haha

If Parasite had NOT been a foreign language film it would never have won BP

I legitimately thought you were joking. 

7 days ago
1/1/01

Of all the movies nominated for best picture I've only seen The Irishman and 1917.  

I would have given it to 1917 over The Irishman. 

7 days ago
1/1/01

7 days ago
1/1/01

Please tell me what was so great about this movie?

I watched it this weekend and thought it was OK, not great, not bad. The director is amazing and I loved Memories of Murder and Mother, but I have no idea why this film is hyped so much.

I'm more curious about what others are seeing that they think this film is so amazing, because I can think of 10 Korean movies I like better off the top of my head.

7 days ago
2/23/12

people seem to be causing a stirover 1917 and Parasite, I saw both and Parasite was most definitely a better film, it actually surprised me, it had a multiitude of tones it was just the better, fresher film

7 days ago
2/23/12
Lights Out Lurker -

it did not do anything new or better than any other war film in the past, I suppose the one shot take maybe? I dunno nothing impressive to me

7 days ago
1/1/01
iamarealamerican - 

people seem to be causing a stirover 1917 and Parasite, I saw both and Parasite was most definitely a better film, it actually surprised me, it had a multiitude of tones it was just the better, fresher film

I saw both and thought 1917 was a lot better than Parasite.

1917 was a fun film that was more about the journey and not the destination, so not a typical "story". I don't get the hype for Parasite, what did you like so much about it?

7 days ago
7/31/09
holly9000 -
Lights Out Lurker - 

lol no.

Overrated movie was very overrated.  Cool visual of one shot but beyond that it was very mediocre. 

Parasite was actually good.

7 days ago
2/23/05
Kings21 - 
holly9000 -
Lights Out Lurker - 

lol no.

Overrated movie was very overrated.  Cool visual of one shot but beyond that it was very mediocre. 

Completely agree

Edited: 7 days ago
2/23/05

And for Joe Pesci to not win for best supporting actor is laughable. That was probably the best performance by ANY actor last year in ANY role and without a doubt better than Brad Pitt could ever hope to be in anything ever

7 days ago
2/23/12
Kings21 -
holly9000 -
Lights Out Lurker - 

lol no.

I've just a bajillion war movies, parasite has some inequality commentary, mixed in some humour, mixed in this and that but managed to blend it without being awkward, thats hard to do, some of the shots almost reminded me of kubrick as well, I dunno it made me actually feel somthing. 1917 while a great tribute from grandson to grandfather, just was a big meh to me, usually I always love action over everything but this just did not do it for me unfortunately

7 days ago
2/23/05

And for the record, Parasite's message is pretty fucked up if you ask me. It essentially makes villains out of decent normal people and hero's out of total scumbags. In the end the audience is routing for the pieces of shit and the message is that rich people deserve to get fucked over by any means necessary. Not really the kind of message you really should be rewarding with high honors imo but whatever. I guess for the pedo's in Hollywood deifying abhorrent behavior is standard operating procedure at this point.

But yeah it was entertaining to be sure.

7 days ago
1/1/01

Yeah I guess that's what I didn't like about Parasite. You are rooting for scumbags, so it wasn't much fun "rooting for them" to succeed. Beautifully shot and great music and acting, but didn't really move me.

Oh well, thanks for the feedback.