OtherGround Forums Peloton Owners!

15 days ago
9/13/06
pfsjkd -

Does anybody have the Peloton treadmill? While I recognize the exercise benefit of cycling, I just don’t like doing it. I’ve NEVER been on a stationary that didn’t hurt my ass. Mind you, I’ve never used a Peloton so it’s possible I could change my opinion with all the metrics/competition features. 

But the treadmill intrigues me more, except for the fact that it’s more expensive than the bike, IIRC. 

The bike will hurt your ass, and then your body will adapt. 

No experience with the treadmill, it’s about $2000 more.  Runners World have it a great review.  

15 days ago
5/2/02

I’ve been thinking of getting a different bike and then just using the peloton app.  After trying a bunch of different bikes, I like the Keiser M3i a lot more than the peloton or Echelon bikes.  Plus you have the added benefit of being able to switch ecosystems.  

my biggest worry with peloton or echelon is that it’s all online. If the companies ever go under you have a glorified paper weight.  

15 days ago
5/2/02
pfsjkd -

Does anybody have the Peloton treadmill? While I recognize the exercise benefit of cycling, I just don’t like doing it. I’ve NEVER been on a stationary that didn’t hurt my ass. Mind you, I’ve never used a Peloton so it’s possible I could change my opinion with all the metrics/competition features. 

But the treadmill intrigues me more, except for the fact that it’s more expensive than the bike, IIRC. 

So the thing I heard from a guy that owns a gym is that the peloton treadmill is problematic.  Treadmills by their nature take a lot of abuse and impact so they’re higher maintanence than a bike.  Even commercial grade equipment requires a lot of upkeep and the peloton isn’t made with high quality parts.  

15 days ago
1/1/01
nottheface -
pfsjkd -

So the thing I heard from a guy that owns a gym is that the peloton treadmill is problematic.  Treadmills by their nature take a lot of abuse and impact so they’re higher maintanence than a bike.  Even commercial grade equipment requires a lot of upkeep and the peloton isn’t made with high quality parts.  

Interesting. 

15 days ago
9/13/06
nottheface -

I’ve been thinking of getting a different bike and then just using the peloton app.  After trying a bunch of different bikes, I like the Keiser M3i a lot more than the peloton or Echelon bikes.  Plus you have the added benefit of being able to switch ecosystems.  

my biggest worry with peloton or echelon is that it’s all online. If the companies ever go under you have a glorified paper weight.  

I think that the concern that the content disappears is reasonable, however, you still have a spin bike without it, so the paperweight comment is not accurate.  You can still get all the metrics on the screen as well.

15 days ago
5/2/02
GentileLarryDavid -
nottheface -

I think that the concern that the content disappears is reasonable, however, you still have a spin bike without it, so the paperweight comment is not accurate.  You can still get all the metrics on the screen as well.

I thought it was essentially online only and you can’t do something like plug in a fire stick.  So you’re better off with a better built bike and just putting a tablet on the media holder.  

15 days ago
1/3/08
GentileLarryDavid -
yusul - i'm missing something here but why couldn't you just get a stationary bike and run some youtube videos for cheaper?

Yes, you are.  I’ll try to break it down.  

The bike keeps track of the following metrics:

Cadence - rpm for the pedals

Resistencs - self-explanatory

Output - The two combined = output, this is also what is used to create the leader board

HR - if you connect a monitor 

Miles and Miles/hour 

Calories burned

All the metrics are tracked digitally.  The instructors will always provide recommended cadence and resistance ranges, and sometimes they will give you an output goal.  All of this info shows up on the screen as well, so above your cadence metric it will provide the range to be in (helpful when you get dog tired).  Also, the music on the playlist is always the same tempo as the cadence to help you stay on rhythm.  

Leaders board - If you are taking a class live, you can see the total output of anybody present.  If you are taking it as an archieved class, you can see everybody taking at the same time, and everybody that has ever taken it.  Depending on what motivates you, this may be the best feature.  I always find myself competing against other riders and this motivates me.  For instance, last night I went back and forth with another rider in a live class.  He passed me and sent me a high-five.  That really pissed me off so I made sure to stay with him and then I made my move to pass him at the 2:00 remaining mark and high-fived him as I passed him up.  The leader board is extremely motivating.  

Other features are also great.  You can take doagnostic tests to set “power zone” levels.  These will be displayed during rides helping you push yourself without burning out too fast.  Following powerzones is an awesome way to improve.  Additionally, all your rides and metrics are saved to track and look at later.  There are lots of competitions you can sign up for monthly to hit a certain number of classes or a certain number of miles.  One fun feature I just found is following people, so if you have friends with pelotons you can meet up in classes and compete, or just keep track of the other persons data and provide motivation.  

There are so many awesome features with the monthly subscription that make the Pelton awesome.  Besides the video, none of it can be replicated via YouTube.  

The bike itself is high quality as well.  Probably not $2500 high quality, but, that’s the cost to get the amazing content, and it’s well worth it.  I have never found anybody that actually uses it that doesn’t love it.  

Essentially it seems like your spending thousands for some motivation, I’ve recently bought a spin bike as I’m doing some longer distance tris next year and it has pre set programmes but I tend to google workouts before I start and use that.

Not knocking it but it just seems extremely expensive for a few features 

15 days ago
9/13/06
nottheface -
GentileLarryDavid -
nottheface -

I thought it was essentially online only and you can’t do something like plug in a fire stick.  So you’re better off with a better built bike and just putting a tablet on the media holder.  

Not IMO, but it would accomplish some of what the Peloton does, yes.  

15 days ago
1/1/01

The gym at work just put in 2 Pelotons. Haven't had a chance to try them yet, but I plan to

15 days ago
5/18/11
Chimonos Revenge -

Peloton commercials are the most pretentious thing ive seen lol

The female models they use are usally babes though.

15 days ago
3/10/11

The GF has one and loves it. They closed her spin class near us and so she bought this.

15 days ago
1/1/01

For those that have issues with cost, it’s only expensive if you don’t use it.  

Ive trained bjj, done crossfit, Olympic lifting, worked with a boxing trainer, joined a spin gym, raced/ride MTBs, etc.  all of which aren’t cheap. It’s all worth it if you enjoy it. 

if you assume the bike itself is worth 50% after two years, it’s about $50/mth. Add in the monthly sub of $39, you are at $89/mth.  That’s cheaper than most other training options - spin classes, crossfit, bjj. 

it’s only expensive if you don’t use it.  

Mark

15 days ago
1/1/01
GentileLarryDavid - 

**I realize I used “awesome” too much above.  I partially blame the shitty app because you cannot scroll back and proofread anything and a long post is virtually impossible to edit, especially if it involves quoting another post.  

I feel like Kendall Roy’s date on Succession.

it's ok, you are uh, awesome.
14 days ago
8/4/11

14 days ago
11/4/19

I don't like spinning bikes, or maybe I just haven't tried a good one. Got a concept2 bike erg a few weeks ago and really like that one. No fancy software though. And very different from a spinning bike. 

Really heard good things about the Wattbike Atom, but it is pricy. 

14 days ago
8/19/03
Palmala Handerson -

The marketing is genius, after pricing it fairly and it didn’t take off, they jacked the price through the roof and they started flying off the shelf. People love EXPENSIVE shit. 

If it works for you though all the power to you. It does seem like a cool concept but fuck paying that kind of money to ride a bike. I have a used spin bike that works fine and YouTube’s free.

I like the concept a lot, and expected to see the high initial price tag,  I really did, but what kills me for some reason is the $30 a mlm month you have to spend after all the other money you just got done spending.

Has anyone tried any Peloton alternatives?

14 days ago
9/13/06
WaltJ -
Palmala Handerson -

The marketing is genius, after pricing it fairly and it didn’t take off, they jacked the price through the roof and they started flying off the shelf. People love EXPENSIVE shit. 

If it works for you though all the power to you. It does seem like a cool concept but fuck paying that kind of money to ride a bike. I have a used spin bike that works fine and YouTube’s free.

I like the concept a lot, and expected to see the high initial price tag,  I really did, but what kills me for some reason is the $30 a mlm month you have to spend after all the other money you just got done spending.

Technically it’s $40, but for what you get it trumps most any other fitness subscription.  There are actual live spin classes, usually 10+ every single day.  There are also thousands of archived classes you can access 24/7.  I don’t know what it costs to join a live spin gym, but I would guess it’s more than $40/month.  The $40 covers the entire household.  Well, technically you can share with family or friends if they have a bike since 3 devices can be logged into one account simultaneously.  I’m not sure what the max number of accounts/bike is, but I have read about people with 6, and I know that hotels and apartment complexes have them, so in reality it could be more. The kicker is, you don’t even have to leave the house, so you are also saving considerable time and stress by eliminating a commute.  

The upfront cost is steep, but you are getting a top of the line spin bike (there are spin bikes that cost $2k alone) a large touchscreen interface with Bluetooth capabilities for headphones and HR monitors, and a top notch clip in shoe and pedal.  It’s really not that bad.

14 days ago
9/13/06

Just think what gas, parking, or other commute fees would be to commute to a gym 4-5 days/week.

14 days ago
1/1/01
GentileLarryDavid - 
WaltJ -
Palmala Handerson -

Technically it’s $40, but for what you get it trumps most any other fitness subscription.  There are actual live spin classes, usually 10+ every single day.  There are also thousands of archived classes you can access 24/7.  I don’t know what it costs to join a live spin gym, but I would guess it’s more than $40/month.  The $40 covers the entire household.  Well, technically you can share with family or friends if they have a bike since 3 devices can be logged into one account simultaneously.  I’m not sure what the max number of accounts/bike is, but I have read about people with 6, and I know that hotels and apartment complexes have them, so in reality it could be more. The kicker is, you don’t even have to leave the house, so you are also saving considerable time and stress by eliminating a commute.  

The upfront cost is steep, but you are getting a top of the line spin bike (there are spin bikes that cost $2k alone) a large touchscreen interface with Bluetooth capabilities for headphones and HR monitors, and a top notch clip in shoe and pedal.  It’s really not that bad.

I did the math for you above.

Spin classes in my area are about $60mth for 1 class a week, $110 for 2, and $149 for unlimited

Mark

14 days ago
9/13/06
Mark1 -
GentileLarryDavid - 
WaltJ -
Palmala Handerson -

Spin classes in my area are about $60mth for 1 class a week, $110 for 2, and $149 for unlimited

Mark

Yeah, it definitely pays for itself.  If you use one gallon of gas per/trip that’s another $48-60/month. 

14 days ago
1/3/08
Mark1 -
GentileLarryDavid - 
WaltJ -
Palmala Handerson -

Mark

So a spin class is $15? I’m in the uk and pay £18 a month for a gym membership which includes spin classes and others in addition to use of the gym 

14 days ago
1/1/01
MattyJ -
Mark1 -
GentileLarryDavid - 
WaltJ -
Palmala Handerson -

Mark

So a spin class is $15? I’m in the uk and pay £18 a month for a gym membership which includes spin classes and others in addition to use of the gym 

Hell of a deal.  But the commute would kill me. 

Mark

14 days ago
6/28/10
Mark1 -
MattyJ -
Mark1 -
GentileLarryDavid - 
WaltJ -
Palmala Handerson -

Mark

Mark

Not a chance that could kill you. You use a Peloton, bro.

BrckNoHitBk

14 days ago
1/1/01
BrckNoHitBk -
Mark1 -
MattyJ -
Mark1 -
GentileLarryDavid - 
WaltJ -
Palmala Handerson -

Mark

Mark

BrckNoHitBk

What if the plane crashed?

Mark

14 days ago
6/28/10
Mark1 -
BrckNoHitBk -
Mark1 -
MattyJ -
Mark1 -
GentileLarryDavid - 
WaltJ -
Palmala Handerson -

Mark

Mark

BrckNoHitBk

What if the plane crashed?

Mark

Peloton, bro.