OtherGround Forums Poker: getting back in after ~ 10 years...

4/21/18 12:17 PM
1/1/01
I recently discovered Brad Owen's channel, it's pretty interesting seeing it from the perspective of an up and coming grinder playing 2/5 (compared to videos from successful millionare poker players).

I do agree though, after not playing a while, and going back to the tables, it is boring as FUCK and not the greatest group of people to be around (not to mention I seem to catch a cold maybe 20% of the time I go from those sickos).
4/21/18 12:20 PM
1/1/01

I remember when Barry Greenstein released his book Ace on The River and most of it was about lifestyle management. People hated it! They wanted his secret "Techniques" lol

Yet, here we are mainly discussing it. 

4/21/18 12:55 PM
1/1/01
Yeah, I just watched a 3 hour Barry Greenstein interview last week...interesting guy.

Edited: 6/3/18 6:11 PM
1/1/01
iclimb513 - 

A couple of good "amateur pro" channels are those by Andrew neeme and Brad Owen. Local Vegas guys who vlog their cash grinder lives. 

I've played with both of them (though they didn't know who I was) at 2/5 and for sure the hands they show on their channels don't represent how they play all the time. Both were reasonably tough. 

I used to play 50+ hours a week during a tune when I was working part time in sales. 

Then I scored full time work that pays way better than any 2/5 pro could do, so I stopped playing almost completely.

The one time a month I do play, I end up giving people too much credit and way over think what's going on. 

Good luck and remember, the money is just for keeping score. If it actually means anything to you, you're going to lose. 

Been really enjoying the Andrew Neeme vlogs, thanks for the recommendation.

Been "back in it" for 2 months now and been using Poker Bankroll Tracker and Poker Ledger to keep me honest on my win rates, tips, hourly rates, RIO, etc and it's been pretty cool. Only negative is I'm afraid to keep playing sometimes when I'm winning, but even worse would to keep playing when my head's not in it.

Upswing Poker's "Poker Lab" has been worth every penny I've paid the past 2 months. Really well laid out site with an incredibly straightforward "system" of play

So far I'm a winning player in both tournaments ($60) and cash games ($1/$2, $1/$3) so I'm at least happy with that. Thinking I might try the $2/$5 game next week or so to see how that goes. Not many sessions to log doing it basically on the weekends, but glad to be a documented "winning player".

My goal is have enough winnings by next month to be able to enter the WSOP $1000 NL Tournament on July 11.

Anyone else playing any WSOP events this year?
6/3/18 6:46 PM
4/21/10
jman -
iclimb513 - 

A couple of good "amateur pro" channels are those by Andrew neeme and Brad Owen. Local Vegas guys who vlog their cash grinder lives. 

I've played with both of them (though they didn't know who I was) at 2/5 and for sure the hands they show on their channels don't represent how they play all the time. Both were reasonably tough. 

I used to play 50+ hours a week during a tune when I was working part time in sales. 

Then I scored full time work that pays way better than any 2/5 pro could do, so I stopped playing almost completely.

The one time a month I do play, I end up giving people too much credit and way over think what's going on. 

Good luck and remember, the money is just for keeping score. If it actually means anything to you, you're going to lose. 

Been really enjoying the Andrew Neeme vlogs, thanks for the recommendation.

Been "back in it" for 2 months now and been using Poker Bankroll Tracker and Poker Ledger to keep me honest on my win rates, tips, hourly rates, RIO, etc and it's been pretty cool. Only negative is I'm afraid to keep playing sometimes when I'm winning, but even worse would to keep playing when my head's not in it.

Upswing Poker's "Poker Lab" has been worth every penny I've paid the past 2 months. Really well laid out site with an incredibly straightforward "system" of play

So far I'm a winning player in both tournaments ($60) and cash games ($1/$2, $1/$3) so I'm at least happy with that. Thinking I might try the $2/$5 game next week or so to see how that goes. Not many sessions to log doing it basically on the weekends, but glad to be a documented "winning player".

My goal is have enough winnings by next month to be able to enter the WSOP $1000 NL Tournament on July 11.

Anyone else playing any WSOP events this year?

My chances of making the WSOP are very small this year. Damn go kart racing is eating all of my cash. 

6/3/18 6:52 PM
7/31/06

I started play 7 stud, regularly 18 years ago.  Don't have what it takes for nlh, looking forward to retirement and playing stud weekly.

6/3/18 6:53 PM
11/5/03

Every year I think about trying a wsop event. I've only played 2 tournaments in my whole life. But, it's certainly convenient enough to try given its a 15 minutes away. Even though I'm heavily weighted towards deep stack cash experience, maybe some of what I know might apply. I also watch a lot of vids on strategy for tournaments. I havnt internalized any of that obviously. 

I guess we'll see. I can afford to flush a grand or so in entry fees. 

6/3/18 6:58 PM
1/1/01
Well maybe we can have an OG WSOP getogether if a few of our schedules line up.

I'm in LA, so just driving out to the July 11 event. If I make it to day 2 (final day) I will get a hotel room somewhere. Hell maybe I'll do that anyway if OGer's want to get together. No doubt bark won't show up though :p
6/3/18 7:00 PM
4/21/10
Dysqo -

I started play 7 stud, regularly 18 years ago.  Don't have what it takes for nlh, looking forward to retirement and playing stud weekly.

You can play it at the WSOP! Pretty much the reason I go, for games other than hold em. 

6/3/18 7:13 PM
3/4/15

In..

6/3/18 9:01 PM
3/4/15

By the way, what happened to wrekker? I remember him from back and the day and wasnt aware he had passed away?

6/3/18 9:04 PM
1/1/01
HankChinaski - 

By the way, what happened to wrekker? I remember him from back and the day and wasnt aware he had passed away?

He had stomach cancer died when he was 39 or so. 

Edited: 6/16/18 1:16 AM
1/1/01
Going to Hollywood Park tomorrow. Wife's playing a tournament and I'm on the fence between 1/2 and 3/5.

Still planning on playing the $1000 NL WSOP Event on July 11 (unless my bankroll takes a big hit in the next 3 weeks).

Anyone else playing in the WSOP events this year?

6/16/18 2:09 AM
1/8/15

In

6/16/18 2:26 AM
10/8/13

I suggest checking out Jonathan Little's youtube as well as Polk, Lex, etc. 

In January I turned $10 into $1000 in 26 days as part of a bankroll challenge I put on myself to see if I could do it. 30 days was my limit. I ended up taking out $500 and donking off the other $500 in a martingale tilt session being too aggressive. I'm thinking about making a $1k deposit and grinding up a 25k roll and then moving to 2/5 live. What do you guys think? Take the chance or no? 

Edited: 6/16/18 3:57 AM
1/1/01
Hopefully, they will legalize online poker. I'm hopeful with sports betting being made legal. It was fun back in the day with Party Poker and Pokerstars.
6/16/18 9:55 AM
1/1/01
My problem with playing cash games these days is cash games are dominated by shortstackers. Sucks all the fun out of the game.
Edited: 6/16/18 10:21 AM
1/1/01

I have another 5 buyins I'm ready to donk off with the best hands, I'll see you later! 

6/16/18 10:27 AM
8/6/08
LiveWire -

I don’t know if this is a stupid sounding question but what the hell...

These advance players and techniques/strategies or maybe more so the techniques/strategies...

Do they work on regular schlubs that play once a month for fun? Or stated another way, does the stuff you learn from the pros only work on other pros and advanced players? I feel like average, barely know the game players are going to play completely random, so I was wonder if this stuff would be much less useful against them. 

No they dont.  Fold equity against donkeys is virtually nil  right aggressive still works best for low stakes. 

6/16/18 10:28 AM
8/6/08
boxcar-for-life -

Yeah straight forward tight aggro ABC poker is the way to play to beat 1/2 and 2/5

i had the discipline to do it and i ran up a decent bankroll from just one buy in

but it just got so boring 

fold fold fold, try to hit a set, miss and then fold fold fold

just found myself wanting to be with wife and kids or outside doing other stuff 

tbh i got bored, got more aggressive and played a more LAG style and didn’t do a very good job of it:(

basic TAG is the way to go but most people can’t avoid playing trouble hands and get themselves into situations that they should have never been in simply out of boredom 

6/16/18 10:29 AM
8/6/08
jman - Going to Hollywood Park tomorrow. Wife's playing a tournament and I'm on the fence between 1/2 and 3/5.

Still planning on playing the $1000 NL WSOP Event on July 11 (unless my bankroll takes a big hit in the next 3 weeks).

Anyone else playing in the WSOP events this year?

Wat u look like

Edited: 6/16/18 10:32 AM
4/24/12

OP check dougs video below to understand what you're getting into. Closer to chess bro

https://www.pokertube.com/video/how-to-improve-at-poker-right-now

6/16/18 10:52 AM
5/13/11

Sub

6/16/18 11:06 AM
3/2/12

You are absolutely insane if you think playing like a nit is going produce any sort of winrate in 2018.

6/16/18 11:19 AM
1/1/01
MMA Promoter1 - 

I suggest checking out Jonathan Little's youtube as well as Polk, Lex, etc. 

In January I turned $10 into $1000 in 26 days as part of a bankroll challenge I put on myself to see if I could do it. 30 days was my limit. I ended up taking out $500 and donking off the other $500 in a martingale tilt session being too aggressive. I'm thinking about making a $1k deposit and grinding up a 25k roll and then moving to 2/5 live. What do you guys think? Take the chance or no? 

Little, Polk (and Ryan Fees), and Lex have some really great stuff. Also Andrew Neeme's stuff is really good. His vlog is great, but he's also a solid player.

I can only play live in the US so can't grind 10 into 1000 but I'm having success so far at the 1/2 and 1/3 tables in LA. Want to play 3/5 tonight, but I think I'll probably stick with the 1/2 instead of playing slightly above my bankroll and more than likely playing too tight.