OtherGround Forums Poker: getting back in after ~ 10 years...

6/16/18 11:20 AM
1/1/01
Lazer MMA - 

OP check dougs video below to understand what you're getting into. Closer to chess bro

https://www.pokertube.com/video/how-to-improve-at-poker-right-now

6/16/18 11:44 AM
4/24/12

What's also interesting OP is that there are poker pros who were doing quite well that have abandoned the game in favor of Fantasy Sports. Below is Alex Baker from yesterday on the topic (Awesemo).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k94NTb0dm7g

Edited: 6/16/18 12:06 PM
1/1/01
It's not too surprising with the history of some great poker players already being really great players at Starcraft, WOW, Magik, etc.

Interesting, with the recent change to legalize sports betting nationwide, I wonder if that will also affect things.
Edited: 6/16/18 12:23 PM
11/5/03

Let's keep this thread going.

After a multi year break where I only played once a month, I've started playing more often. Started off at 1/2 just to shake the rust off and now I'm back at 2/5.  

Been employing the "secret lag" style which means letting everyone think I play like your average weak tight 50 year old as long as I can keep the charade up. 

One guy at 1/2 lost his mind when I called a $25 preflop and $30 flop bet (along with 2 others) on a low board to hit a gutter ball with 4,6 off because I knew this guy would never suspect me of such a hand and wouldnt be able to fold his qq+ hand and would give me his entire $500 stack.  I was right. Then he started to make personal comments. When I told him he better watch his mouth he started saying how he 'drives 40 minutes each way just for this". Whole table laughed at him. 

Then he really went nuts when I told him such speculative gambles are only reserved for arrogant thinks they're better players than everyone else wankers, and I'd fold it preflop vs anyone else. 

Then he went on super tilt and gave away another 2 x 300 buyin.

It was amusing as fuck but man, this can be a dark dark game.

I can be very prone to tilt and extreme anger when someone wants to get personal. That's a weakness which I have to work on. 

Edited: 6/16/18 12:23 PM
1/1/01

How I like to play poker:

Edited: 6/16/18 12:35 PM
11/5/03

Oops 

6/16/18 12:45 PM
8/6/08
iclimb513 -

After a multi year break where I only played once a month, I've started playing more often. Started off at 1/2 just to shake the rust off and now I'm back at 2/5.  

Been employing the "secret lag" style which means letting everyone think I play like your average weak tight 50 year old as long as I can keep the charade up. 

One guy at 1/2 lost his mind when I called a $25 preflop and $30 flop bet (along with 2 others) on a low board to hit a gutter ball with 4,6 off because I knew this guy would never suspect me of such a hand and wouldnt be able to fold his qq+ hand and would give me his entire $500 stack.  I was right. Then he started to make personal comments. When I told him he better watch his mouth he started saying how he 'drives 40 minutes each way just for this". Whole table laughed at him. 

Then he really went nuts when I told him such speculative gambles are only reserved for arrogant thinks they're better players than everyone else wankers, and I'd fold it preflop vs anyone else. 

I can be very prone to tilt and extreme anger when someone wants to get personal. That's a weakness which I have to work on. 

You're a donkey

6/16/18 12:47 PM
8/6/08
SHOGUN250 -

You are absolutely insane if you think playing like a nit is going produce any sort of winrate in 2018.

Have u played small stakes live nl before?

6/16/18 1:18 PM
9/27/07
iclimb513 -

Such a terrible play by you... seriously... nothing to brag about there...

6/16/18 1:23 PM
11/5/03
rubbermonkey -
iclimb513 -

Yes, that's right. Your indignance sustains me. 

Playing anything besides ak+ at all times = donkey. I always play hands like that, every time against every opponent. Plus of course there was no bluff to make him fold back up plan on different runouts.

Yup. I'm just a fish going with bad hands for lots of money every time. Mmmm hmmm 

Edited: 6/16/18 1:52 PM
11/5/03
gokudamus -
iclimb513 -

You're a donkey

Yes, sometimes I let people think that. It's funny how timid other people at the table become when they think you could have anything. Makes it easier to push specific people off their obvious one pair hands. 

6/16/18 1:28 PM
1/1/01

I generally just put in ear buds and sometimes listen to music or audio books or nothing at all (but still keep them in}. I'm not rude but generally just stay quiet and people leave me alone. There are some miserable people at the tables usually, not a fun environment for the most part. Can't imagine having to grind it 30 to 40 hours a week to survive 

Edited: 6/16/18 1:51 PM
11/5/03
jman -

I generally just put in ear buds and sometimes listen to music or audio books or nothing at all (but still keep them in}. I'm not rude but generally just stay quiet and people leave me alone. There are some miserable people at the tables usually, not a fun environment for the most part. Can't imagine having to grind it 30 to 40 hours a week to survive 

Yes, it can be really bad. The regular room I play in has many angry seniors who never win but always mutter curses under their breath. I don't understand where their money comes from.

You'd have to have an incredible ability to shake things off to grind 40+ hours. I definitely don't. I can't imagine a more terrible way to make a mediocre living. 

I mean, look how angry and ego bruised some are just in this thread and all we are doing is talking. Imagine them in an actual game getting cleaned out by all those they so righteously judge as "donkeys". 

I'd rather work a job that pays way more and do it as a hobby. 

6/16/18 3:18 PM
8/6/08
iclimb513 -
rubbermonkey -
iclimb513 -

Playing anything besides ak+ at all times = donkey. I always play hands like that, every time against every opponent. Plus of course there was no bluff to make him fold back up plan on different runouts.

Yup. I'm just a fish going with bad hands for lots of money every time. Mmmm hmmm 

Then you're a donkey. That is a losing play in the long run. Yes u will get lucky once in a while but it is definitely not anywhere nearly optimal to play that way  

6/16/18 6:40 PM
9/27/07
gokudamus -
iclimb513 -
rubbermonkey -
iclimb513 -

Then you're a donkey. That is a losing play in the long run. Yes u will get lucky once in a while but it is definitely not anywhere nearly optimal to play that way  

It worked once!!!! Obviously you don't know anything about poker.....

6/16/18 6:47 PM
3/4/15

Anyway..

Heading to Vegas Monday. Planning on playing a shitload of poker, quite a few places are running tournaments besides the WSOP. I'm not planning on playing any WSOP events unless I cash in a few early. If so theres a 2500$ buy in on Thursday..

6/16/18 7:48 PM
12/17/06

I feel old lol.

I stopped playing after the Super System era.

6/16/18 7:50 PM
1/1/01
donking it up.....6 hours in. Up 350ish.
6/16/18 9:21 PM
1/1/01
Nice.

I'm leaving in 10 minutes. I'll check out the 1/2 game and the 3/5 game and see which one looks better and probably jump into one of those. Not 100% into playing tonight, but the wife wants to play the $60 tournament, so I'm going.
6/16/18 9:54 PM
1/1/01
Up 6
6/16/18 9:55 PM
1/1/01
washing the stink of last month off of me.
6/16/18 11:03 PM
1/1/01

Just sat down to 1/2, don't feel comfortable with my Bankroll and profits to play 3/5 right now. 

6/16/18 11:52 PM
8/6/08
jman -

Just sat down to 1/2, don't feel comfortable with my Bankroll and profits to play 3/5 right now. 

Where u at donk

Edited: 6/17/18 12:28 AM
1/1/01
gokudamus -
jman -

Where u at donk

Sorry brah, wife busted and I'm leaving now. 

Won $91 in 90 minutes... Winning 30BB/hour...super  donk

6/17/18 12:51 AM
9/8/05
DaveFu -

Yes, 

Here is my short answer since my long answer crapped out. 

The answer is yes, but solid tight agressive ABC poker is almost certainly all that is necessary and in the land of 30 hand an hour live poker, variance can be perceived as soul crushing if you're not properly bank rolled for the game you're in. The advantage is that live, you have social players who may or may not be under the influence of drugs. 

In a static bubble where you don't get better, it takes a million or two hands to get a considerably accurate win rate.  I remember Wrekker telling me how losing YEARS were a near certainty as prop/professional player, and that's why he would play Omaha8, because of the lower variance. 

Poker is like golf. At any given time, there are maybe 5-10 people in the world who are good at the game. EVERYONE else, the best they can hope for is to suck less than the competition on that given day.  

This man knows.