OtherGround Forums Poker: getting back in after ~ 10 years...

10/21/19 11:17 AM
1/1/01

I hope I used up all my run bad this last weekend. Probably not. 

I was UTG with AcQc I opened for my stardard 8. 

I immediately get 3 bet to $25.....

The button cold calls. I call. I tend to keep my opening sizing pretty static and I'm nit. I rarely get 3bet light. 

($72) 5c 3d 2c

I fire out $75 I cant see folding. I am slightly ahead of almost all over pairs. I have blockers against an AA which I was about 52 37 with 11 to tie.  I have chop outs with every ace than A5, UTG+1 raises all in for 150+ more....button folds. 

I am drawing dead against nothing.......I called.

Turn 3h

River 5h

He turns over AsAh and gets about $520.

Lost $240 for that 8 hr session. 

Went to the retirement card room saturday and left there up a 182 after 10 hours.  

Studied yesterday. I am about 1/3rd through Harrington on Modern Poker. 

Thursday will be here before I know it. 

Edited: 10/21/19 11:49 AM
1/1/01

I got knocked out of a tournament with a kind if similar hand Friday night. I've been trying to "build a stack" and make +EV decisions to go for the win in the last few tournaments, and seem to keep getting knocked out more often now. Previously I made the money more often by just "surviving" but then "limping" in and min cashing doesn't bode well either with all of the money in the top spots. Still working on some kind of balance there.

How are you liking the new Harrington book? 

10/21/19 12:01 PM
1/1/01
jman - 

I got knocked out of a tournament with a kind if similar hand Friday night. I've been trying to "build a stack" and make +EV decisions to go for the win in the last few tournaments, and seem to keep getting knocked out more often now. Previously I made the money more often by just "surviving" but then "limping" in and min cashing doesn't bode well either with all of the money in the top spots. Still working on some kind of balance there.

How are you liking the new Harrington book? 

It's a really good update to his other 3. He covers all the newer formats. They're what I mentally revert to when I try think of a situation. Which I tried reading again and his first book is too basic to be very useful. His second and third books are probably still good since at least the last one was a workbook and the second one is about late stages. 

One point it brings up when discussing ICM and payout structures is how cashing has a divergent strategy to winning. Where in flatter structures you're giving up significantly less EV playing a "cashing" strategy.

When you're playing online and can get insane amounts of volume on tournaments, a high variance strategy doesn't keep you out of the game. Live it does. So, it can make sense to sacrifice some potential EV to just consistently cash if the payout structures and the other lifestyle considerations warrant it. 

10/21/19 6:25 PM
10/5/05

I leave for Vegas in the morning.  Not going to lie.  I have degen tingles right now.

Plan is to hit Aria for 3-4 hours and then, assuming I don't take a severe beating, head to Bellagio for a few hours before bed.  I will update you guys on my progress.

Edited: 10/21/19 6:41 PM
1/1/01

Good call, wait list is longer at Aria.

Lyft is usually cheaper than Uber. 

Wynn Venetian and Caesars are decent too

10/21/19 6:46 PM
10/5/05
DaveFu -

Good call, wait list is longer at Aria.

Lyft is usually cheaper than Uber. 

Wynn Venetian and Caesars are decent too

Yeah.  I have never played at Aria so that is why I am starting there.  I want to try and make the noon tournament at Wynn on Thursday if I can get out of my conference quick enough.  I have not played there either.  It is sorta like a poker bucket list trip for me.  

10/21/19 6:49 PM
1/1/01

defenitely not kosoto gake, which is a hooking rear throw.
deashi barai is a "neutral" sweeping throw which clips their leg and knocks it to the inside, most often used when someone is stepping to you (as opposed to kosoto gake where you step into them) 

fwiw in a perfect world deahsi is sweeping the ankle, but considering the lack of grips and the great mix of striking, Josh's clipping the calf seemed to work very well.  

10/21/19 9:02 PM
1/1/01
GoffRAMSmahome'sgutsOUT -
Val Larralde -

I am looking to put some cash online and play some.  Any suggestions on sites?  I have used global poker and Bovada in the past.

One of my concerns is cash out options.  What's the latest scoop?

I play on Global mostly because the cashouts are easy and never a hassle. Not a big fan of Bovada or any of the other sites on that network.

I have accounts on Global and Bovada currently.

How are you cashing out on Global?  They have a new option I haven't seen before.  Skrill?

How are you cashing out?

10/21/19 10:08 PM
1/1/01

I'm heading back to Vegas  on the weekend of November 16th (to see Seinfeld at Ceasars). We are staying at the Excalibur.

Where do you guys suggest for 1-3 or 2-5 cash games?

Don't think I will be playing any tournaments. 

Edited: 10/22/19 10:26 AM
1/1/01

After spending two weeks off the beaten path, I can say Aria, Bellagio, Caesars, Wynn, and Venetian are where the poker action is consistently at. 

Nothing sucks more than running to the bathroom for 5 minutes in a small room and the only game completely breaks where it is you and the dealer. 

If I were staying at Excalibur and a game was going, I would sit in on it just to see it. I hear it is one of the easiest games in town. 

Not sure it does a full 1-2 to 300max game. Still has to be better than the shit they make you suffer through in LA. 

10/22/19 10:26 AM
1/1/01
DaveFu -

After spending two weeks off the beaten path, I can say Aria, Bellagio, Caesars, Wynn, and Venetian are where the poker action is consistently at. 

Nothing sucks more than running to the bathroom for 5 minutes in a small room and the only game completely breaks where it is you and the dealer. 

If I were staying at Excalibur and a game was going, I would sit in on it just to see it. I here it is one of the easiest games in town. 

Not sure it does a full 1-2 to 300max game. Still has to be better than the shit they make you suffer through in LA. 

LOL, thanks man

Edited: 10/22/19 10:36 AM
1/1/01

That being said,

I liked playing at the Strat when it was going. But it wasn't going often enough. It would be me, 4-6 TERRIBLE locals and a couple of tourists. If you can't beat that game, you can't beat any 1-2 game. 

The hiccuos were, the room was upstairs, got no traffic, and no drink serevice. 

They did have brand new Paulson chips. 

http://chipguide.themogh.org/cg_chip2.php?id=NVLS31&v=3545242176

10/22/19 6:50 PM
8/1/00

Aria, and Bellagio are very Similar.  Venetian has a huge and busy room with free serve yourself coffee, and fountain drinks which is cool.

Definitely try the Wynn. Nicest room I've ever been to.

10/22/19 6:56 PM
1/1/01

Me and jman actually played at the Wynn on the same table. It was day 3 of my 16 days there, so I wasn't really in the mood to gamble. I ended up getting my JJ in against AA on a 662 board against a short stack when he shoved on the flop for a little over pot. I rivered him and won $150 or so at the 1/3 game. 

10/22/19 7:16 PM
10/5/05

Played at Aria and got coolered....twice.  down 2 buyins.  Now at Bellagio and doubled up first hand.  QQ vs KK vs AA.  AA only had 34 and QQ jammed on my KK.  They held up.

10/22/19 10:58 PM
1/1/01

You playing 1/2?

10/22/19 11:07 PM
1/1/01
jman - 

You playing 1/2?

I don't think Aria or Bellagio spread 1/2.....1/3+

10/22/19 11:13 PM
10/5/05

Played 2-5 at Aria to start then switched to 1-3 at Bellagio.  I seemed to run into the nuts on every good hand I got.  Was a rough day of poker. 

Back in my room with room service and plan to cry myself to sleep.  Day 1.  Down $1177.  Ouch.  Thankfully I am still up on the year.

10/22/19 11:19 PM
1/1/01

Yeah my advice would be just to peddle the nuts, get it in middle, and unclench when it holds up. Don't get cute thinking you're going to outplay the other 8 guys. Be extra careful picking your spots. 

10/22/19 11:25 PM
10/5/05

Yeah.  I had some rough beats today.  Nut flush getting beat by a rivered boat.  Flop a set have opponent hit a full house on the turn.  I was just losing in spots I am not sure I could have avoided.  

10/23/19 2:00 AM
1/1/01

How  were the players at your tables?

Backpack kids, tourists, OMCs, etc?

10/23/19 9:11 AM
10/5/05

At Aria, there were at least 2 pro players.  Looking back, I should have left when I saw 2 3k stacks at a 2-5 table.

Bellagio was full of psychopath players.  1 pro.

10/23/19 9:27 AM
1/1/01

Yeah those games are wild. I saw a degen grinder playing 1/2 at Planet Hollywood and Rio with a Caesars Diamond card that was swiped so much, it was looking like a ninja star. He did his 6 or so hours and got his free buffet. 

Just keep picking your spots and you'll be alright. 

10/23/19 11:29 PM
1/1/01
Poiupoiu - what happened to doug polk?

why has there been no cheating scandal video in over a week ?

My guess is that the noiw that a suit has been filed for I believe 30 mil now, the lawyers probably told him to STFU. Jurors will be so damn ignorant to this sort of thing, you don't want to hurt their chances. 

Andd.......it isn't like those guys aren't doing well and could face their own lawsuits, frivolous or not.  

10/24/19 10:42 AM
1/1/01

Well.....

Last year Scottiie Nguyen played this tournament and every year they apparently get a Poker "celebrity" to play it, so this year they got Greg Raymer. 

Knowing my luck,  his big ass will be in seat 3 and I'll be stuck in seat 2.