OtherGround Forums Popular sayings you just don't get

Edited: 13 days ago
1/14/07

I'm watching Die Hard and it's at the part where the guy says "eat your heart out channel 5"

I never got the meaning behind "eat your heart out". I get that you're saying someone is jealous but wtf does it have to do with "eating your heart out".

Some others that I never understood:

I slept like a baby... Obviously whoever made this up never had a kid. 

Dog tired 

The proof is in the pudding 

The worm has turned (seriously wtf at this one)

As all get out

Anyone else struggle with any every day sayings? 

13 days ago
2/25/09

If your comin on, then come on!

13 days ago
10/4/15

What's a gander 

13 days ago
4/27/15

A lot of people get "the pot calling the kettle black" wrong.  

13 days ago
8/23/11
MMA Newbie -

What's a gander 

It’s a male goose 

what’s good for the goose is good for the gander 

13 days ago
8/23/11
androb -
MMA Newbie -

What's a gander 

It’s a male goose 

what’s good for the goose is good for the gander 

what’s good for the duck is good for the drake 

13 days ago
11/28/19
Briscoe -

I'm watching Die Hard and it's at the part where the guy says "eat your heart out channel 5"

I never got the meaning behind "eat your heart out". I get that you're saying someone is jealous but wtf does it have to do with "eating your heart out".

Some others that I never understood:

I slept like a baby... Obviously whoever made this up never had a kid. 

Dog tired 

The proof is in the pudding 

The worm has turned (seriously wtf at this one)

As all get out

Anyone else struggle with any every day sayings? 

We are all one.

13 days ago
8/15/07
"To your heart's content."

I just don't like it.
13 days ago
11/21/19

Bob's your uncle.

9/23/07

The worm has turned
Refers to even the idea that even the most harmless and meek creature will turn on you when pushed too far. So if some dork at school beats the shit out of his bully you could say "my how the worm has turned"

The proof is in the pudding is a shortened version of:
the "proof of the pudding is in the eating"
Which basically means you have to try something to see if its good or not. Pudding in england refers to all deserts, and before that some sort of sausage/haggis type food.

Dog Tired refers not to dogs, but some english lord would have his sons chase his hunting dogs and whoever caught more would get to sit at his fathers right hand side, but they would be "dog tired" from the activity.

13 days ago
11/28/19
Brockback Mountain -

The worm has turned
Refers to even the idea that even the most harmless and meek creature will turn on you when pushed too far. So if some dork at school beats the shit out of his bully you could say "my how the worm has turned"

Which basically means you have to try something to see if its good or not. Pudding in england refers to all deserts, and before that some sort of sausage/haggis type food.

Dog Tired refers not to dogs, but some english lord would have his sons chase his hunting dogs and whoever caught more would get to sit at his fathers right hand side, but they would be "dog tired" from the activity.

Gee, you sound like a cunt.

13 days ago
1/24/15
sucromai - 
Brockback Mountain -

The worm has turned

LOL!
13 days ago
9/23/07
sucromai - 
Brockback Mountain -

The worm has turned

Say that to my face poltroon, not online and see what happens.

I will knock your dick in the dirt.
4/17/13
Brockback Mountain -
sucromai - 
Brockback Mountain -

The worm has turned

"Dick in the dirt"

Refers to one beating someone in a physical alteration to the point they are left in the prone position, with their member pressed against the ground, or dirt.

13 days ago
6/22/07
^LOL
13 days ago
3/20/15
Sogflop - 
Brockback Mountain -
sucromai - 
Brockback Mountain -

The worm has turned

"Dick in the dirt"

Refers to one beating someone in a physical alteration to the point they are left in the prone position, with their member pressed against the ground, or dirt.

Winner....lol

13 days ago
5/23/07
Brockback Mountain - 
sucromai - 
Brockback Mountain -

The worm has turned

Ill tackle this one OP....in this instance Dirt a euphemism for his ass
13 days ago
5/23/07
lol nice work sogflop
13 days ago
5/18/11
MMA Newbie -

What's a gander 

Its a goose thats had the old switcharoo

13 days ago
12/29/09

You stand on her hair, and I'll fuck her. 

13 days ago
4/6/09

"fleece it out"

"goin' mach five"

"pippity poppity, gimme the zoppity"

"dinkin' flicka."

13 days ago
5/23/07
no malarkey
13 days ago
4/24/02
Sogflop -
Brockback Mountain -
sucromai - 
Brockback Mountain -

The worm has turned

"Dick in the dirt"

For the motherfuckim win! Laughed my ass off, perfect timing. Thank you sir.

TT

13 days ago
2/2/15

"as all get out" sounds stupid as fuck. I instantly want to assault someone when they utter this phrase. Luckily, I've only ever heard it on television and in movies since no around here uses it.

13 days ago
7/1/15

I always hear retards say “I could care less” when it’s really “I couldn’t care less” fucking drives me crazy